IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

2 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

I agree. I'm amazed that some other posters are so enthusiastic about and approving of what Derick is doing. Subbing apparently requires very few qualifications, no advance lesson planning, little independent thought, and little to no commitment.

I think the enthusiasm for Derick's minimal "work" just shows what low expectations we've come to have for the Duggar family and their hangers-on. When one of them does ANYTHING to earn a dollar, some people get very impressed.

I'm not remotely impressed. And I would definitely not want Derick teaching any child or grandchild of mine.

The type of subbing he is doing requires very little work. He isn't subbing long term here - he's most likely covering for one teacher for a day or two during a difficult time for the school (a student died.) He's basically there to hand out the busy work, collect it, and make sure no one gets in trouble.

If this was a long term position - like covering for a teacher's medical leave - then that would be an entirely different story because actual teaching and planning would be required. That I'd have an issue with because I don't think he's qualified for that type of position.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I think Calvinists seem to pretty much focus on using ESV. All the Calvinists and die hard Sproul followers I know are "ESV only" and think ESV is superior to KJV in the same way that independent baptists think KJV is superior.

I grew up hard core Calvinist (Dutch/Free Reformed).  The only acceptable translations for church were KJV and NKJV.  There were some churches that were KJV only.  

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

The type of subbing he is doing requires very little work. He isn't subbing long term here - he's most likely covering for one teacher for a day or two during a difficult time for the school (a student died.) He's basically there to hand out the busy work, collect it, and make sure no one gets in trouble.

If this was a long term position - like covering for a teacher's medical leave - then that would be an entirely different story because actual teaching and planning would be required. That I'd have an issue with because I don't think he's qualified for that type of position.

I understand what you're saying--but I still wouldn't trust him. He married a Duggar, and he's never repudiated any aspect of their beliefs. I wouldn't want him near any of the children in my family. (Maybe I'm just too cautious and suspicious--or maybe I have a lower opinion of Derick than others. His "spiritually dead" comment made him sink near the bottom of the dregs of this family, for me.)

31 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

I understand what you're saying--but I still wouldn't trust him. He married a Duggar, and he's never repudiated any aspect of their beliefs. I wouldn't want him near any of the children in my family. (Maybe I'm just too cautious and suspicious--or maybe I have a lower opinion of Derick than others. His "spiritually dead" comment made him sink near the bottom of the dregs of this family, for me.)

Oh I agree. It is far from ideal and I wouldn't be happy if it was my kid who had him as a sub either. Hopefully he remembers he's in a public school and no proselytizing is allowed there. And if he does decide to preach to the kids,  then hopefully someone complains and he's removed from the sub list.

Still, not as bad as it could have been though. As a temporary sub he's pretty limited in what he's allowed to do. At the very least he's doing something that should be productive and it's at a time when there's a genuine need in the community. 

15 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

What does 'spiritually dead' even mean? Is that a fundie term?

It means anyone who doesn't follow their twisted brand of "Christianity". :annoyed:

2 hours ago, season of life said:

It means anyone who doesn't follow their twisted brand of "Christianity". :annoyed:

Derek, Derick however in the name of god you spell his name has no idea. These people aren't spiritually dead, they just don't want to be Fundie. You don't need to lead them to Jesus, they're Catholic. They know about Jesus. Just because they don't have the same beliefs that you have does not mean that they are wrong. I hate how this is a life for them converting people to Jesus who are technically the big brother of your church and beliefs. Without Catholics you fundies wouldn't be here! 

On 10/4/2016 at 2:05 PM, Buzzard said:

What is all that crap on the floor? They have a toddler!

Fear not. the power of Jesus (and Blanket Training) will keep young Israel from harm.

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wonder if the term "research paper" is a stretch? It's probably like one page, and the only source she has to site is the Bible. 

At the risk of giving away where I live (I don't have a huge online presence anyway), there is a church in Indianapolis called iTown that has an unaccredited leadership academy, where a coworker of mine goes to church and is currently participating in an "internship"... I read over one of her papers one time and noted some grammatical errors, she said that those weren't important- maybe grammar and such things aren't important for Jill either?

With regard to Jill quoting the ESV, the impression I get from reading the Wartburg Watch is that the higher ups at the SBC have been heavily promoting the ESV, as well as advocating for a neo-Calvinist position. Neither Jill nor Derick strike me as being very theologically literate, so they probably just use the ESV because "pastor says," not because they have strong Calvinist leanings.

6 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

At the risk of giving away where I live (I don't have a huge online presence anyway), there is a church in Indianapolis called iTown that has an unaccredited leadership academy, where a coworker of mine goes to church and is currently participating in an "internship"... I read over one of her papers one time and noted some grammatical errors, she said that those weren't important- maybe grammar and such things aren't important for Jill either?

Well, if the requirements for the diploma/certification are essentially a pulse and a wallet (but if someone wants to pay tuition with a corpse's credit card, I don't think they'd say no), I don't think the degree-granting bodies are going to actively encourage or seek out well-written, thoroughly proofread, and well-researched papers.

4 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

With regard to Jill quoting the ESV, the impression I get from reading the Wartburg Watch is that the higher ups at the SBC have been heavily promoting the ESV, as well as advocating for a neo-Calvinist position. Neither Jill nor Derick strike me as being very theologically literate, so they probably just use the ESV because "pastor says," not because they have strong Calvinist leanings.

From all the dumbing down of public schools and the Duggar SOTDRT the ESV is easier to understand than the KJV, hell I have a B.S. and I have a hard time with KJV.  Its all the thee's and thou arts, gets me every time.

On 10/9/2016 at 11:01 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

For Jessa, having Joy nearby who can drive and come over when needed, and having the ability to go to the TTH house whenever she needs, makes parenthood a much easier prospect. Jana also, and they might drop Hannie by to help her. 

How Bin can stand sponging off his FIL is a puzzle to me. But, listening to Bin talk he is just a puzzle to me. 

I dislike the Duggars as much as anyone but taking advantage of a support system when you are a new parent is hardly something they are doing wrong. I did the first 3 years with my twins with no one but my husband around (and he worked out of the home 14 hours a day including his commute) and it was basically hell. Sure, never having bills to pay is not a normal adulthood experience for most people, but living near relatives and having a village to help you raise your kid is awesome! Who would not choose that?

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I don't even know the difference between the KJV and the ESV.

Mostly language, KJV was written centuries ago and ESV is a fairly modern translation. I'm an NIV girl, but I want to expand to AMP for a different perspective. 

I've found this site helpful when picking out bibles.   

mardel.com go to the bibles and in the droop down to find the right bible. 

5 minutes ago, twinmama said:

I dislike the Duggars as much as anyone but taking advantage of a support system when you are a new parent is hardly something they are doing wrong. I did the first 3 years with my twins with no one but my husband around (and he worked out of the home 14 hours a day including his commute) and it was basically hell. Sure, never having bills to pay is not a normal adulthood experience for most people, but living near relatives and having a village to help you raise your kid is awesome! Who would not choose that?

I don't think the poster meant there was anything wrong with it. Just that the Dillard's have had a much different parenting experience because they choose to live far away. It could help explain why some people seem to think Jessa has taken to motherhood better than Jill has - it could just boil down to the fact that Benessa has chosen to live an easier lifestyle by living so close than the Dills have by choosing to live far away. If the situations were reversed then we might see Jessa struggling and Jill having an easier time.

And personally, I don't think having family help out is wrong or anything. If the unmarried sisters are constantly being used like free labor that's not right, but having family help out isn't a bad thing. I watched my nephew for a month and a half this spring - it was a ton of work because he was so young, but it was worth it because it helped his parents and it gave me amazing bonding time with him I wouldn't have had otherwise.

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

Have a drink, okay? I. Said that she was not alone in taking care of her kid and that made it easier. Havae another drink for god's sake. Geez.  

44 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Have a drink, okay? I. Said that she was not alone in taking care of her kid and that made it easier. Havae another drink for god's sake. Geez.  

I think that poster was more referring to the comment about how can Ben sponge off JB? That's how I took it anyway. It's just a discussion.

41 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I think that poster was more referring to the comment about how can Ben sponge off JB? That's how I took it anyway. It's just a discussion.

Of course it is just a discussion. No. need for you to chime in as I see it. 

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Of course it is just a discussion. No. need for you to chime in as I see it. 

Unnecessarily rude much?

3 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Unnecessarily rude much?

And, you also need. To chime in? Methinks you are the rude one. But I see that often here as everywhere on the internet. Just a discussion, remember?

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Please try attack the post, not the poster. Cripes.

It's perhaps time to remove fingers from the keyboard and regain some balance.  The parrot has had attention drawn to this thread. 

17 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Okay, I will make a list of the preferred posters and be careful. It's a plan!

You are being unnecessarily caustic where it wasn't needed. It's not about specific posters, it's about behaviour. Telling someone to take a drink is childish and doesn't contribute to rational discourse.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived