IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 19: Staying Out of the News

Coconut Flan

On 5/4/2024 at 12:26 PM, fluffernutter said:

Oh I would totally not be there yet either had the allergy not occurred. I am embarrassed to admit this but I still dyed my hair a few times even after I knew I was allergic. I would deal with the insane redness and itching for days. The last time, my face swelled up and that scared me enough to stop. Otherwise I would still be getting my hair done. 

I used to dye my hair all the time a variety of colors, my favorite being red. I used to use a L'oreal one that had some European name... I want to say Franscois Sunset Flame. I stopped dying my hair when I was pregnant but as soon as I could, I went back to red. It started with slight itching, but not too bad. But with time, it was getting worse. I tried a variety of colors and brands and it was all bad. It got to the point that I would blister and my face would have slight swelling. 

I really didn't know what to do, I even tried natural and nope. I had gray and just wanted to cover it up some. I was asking the woman who cut my hair and she mentioned "care and comfort" packets for allergies to hair dye. You mix them into the dye and it helps with a reaction. She also said to try a lighter color as that can be better for the scalp. I started doing come in blonde highlights with something like 10 packets of the stuff. Eventually, I went to full on dye. I got down to two packets. Clairol Nice and Easy came out with a formula that helps with reactions so I tried it. No problems. I didn't need to use the packets but the darkest I could go was a light ash blonde. 

It does blend in with my gray that comes in. I've been told it looks nice. I have very little dark hair but just enough to keep up with the dye. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, shesinsane said:

Based on watching all of the Duggar episodes, I've concluded that somewhere in IBLP they teach that a bare-headed baby girl is an offense to God. There must be something on her head to clearly indicate not-a-boy, or else Jebus will cry (or something like that). 

I feel like maybe it's a regional thing, more than religious. My Appalachian relatives who don't darken the door of a church outside weddings or funerals also adorn baby girls with giant bows. Most recent baby girl born has bows around 4 times the size of her head in most photos. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I feel like maybe it's a regional thing, more than religious. My Appalachian relatives who don't darken the door of a church outside weddings or funerals also adorn baby girls with giant bows. Most recent baby girl born has bows around 4 times the size of her head in most photos. 

Yeah, it's a big thing in Hawaii/Alaska too, and I don't think it has anything to do with religion or Jesus.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I must confess, I'm a lover of a big bow on a girl (runs and hides in shame).  I have no kids but when I've babysat my nieces, I would dress them in jeans, tshirts, and bows 🤣

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Andrea said:

I must confess, I'm a lover of a big bow on a girl (runs and hides in shame).  I have no kids but when I've babysat my nieces, I would dress them in jeans, tshirts, and bows 🤣

I love hats. I adored putting cute little hats on my boys. They looked so good in hats. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love hats. I adored putting cute little hats on my boys. They looked so good in hats. 

As a boy mom, I concur 100%!  Gymboree had the best selection of hats.  I still have one that my son absolutely loved.  He called it his "golf hat".   It's navy blue with a wide brim, a green and white band around the middle and a patch in the front that says "Golf Club" with an emblem of crossed clubs.      

• Upvote 4

How do people get hats and bows to stay on babies' heads? Anything I put on my baby's head, a hat, sun hat, sunglasses, bows etc just gets pulled off immediately. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

How do people get hats and bows to stay on babies' heads? Anything I put on my baby's head, a hat, sun hat, sunglasses, bows etc just gets pulled off immediately. 

You have to hat and bow train. If they pull it off, you smack them. /s

My kids didn't tolerate stuff on their heads either.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

It's a some kids like them, some kids tolerate them, and some hate them.  My grandkids liked hats and still do. I did, however, teach the granddaugter to pull off hairbows and barrettes that some relatives insisted on buying.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

My son is quite light sensitive so he happily wore sunglasses and a hat as a baby. What he didn't like was the chin straps on baby hats so I would cut those off and he was then happy to keep it on. 

My daughter was less happy to wear a hat or sunglasses as a baby. Sometimes she would and sometimes she would rip them off. 

• Upvote 2

I used to put gloves on my baby so she wouldn’t rip off hats/sunglasses, but then she realized she could rip the gloves off with her teeth, and now we are back to “nothing goes on her head” (fun in the scorching sun..) 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

My mom told me how she wanted to put a small bow in my hair but I didn't have much hair so it kept falling off. She used tape. She  must not have done it often because there isn't a lot of photographic evidence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

My nephews (2 and 3 years old) both love hats. They will come and ask for one if my sister takes them out without. the same with scarves. 

I hated hats and scarves as a child and still do to this day. I can barely tolerate a hood on my head if it is raining... 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I miss the bucket-hat days. My kiddo is SUPER fair and even though he's blond - he's got the skin of a ginger. So he will pink up, burn etc at the slightest thing and baseball caps don't work that great. 

He hated hats unless he was going to be outside - and then he had bucket hats with a chin strap. And it was non negotiable. Outside? here is your hat. But now I have to fight to get him to wear even a baseball cap (and then his poor ears are exposed!!) 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

I miss the bucket-hat days. 

Lots of adults around here wear bucket hats at the pool. A couple summers ago, the local health dept. visited the pool one day during adult swim hours to promote sun safety. They gave out free bucket hats which came in a wide variety of colors and fun patterns. Of course I wasn’t there that day and missed out. So I got one from Amazon which sells all kinds.

When my son was a tween, he had an orange-and-camo bucket hat that suited him to a T.  At the time, we did a lot of camping, fishing and hiking and he wore the hat all the time. He’s wearing it in several of my most favorite photos of him. I’ve parted with a good bit of his stuff from when he was little, but have no plans to part with the hat.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, Cam said:

Lots of adults around here wear bucket hats at the pool. A couple summers ago, the local health dept. visited the pool one day during adult swim hours to promote sun safety. They gave out free bucket hats which came in a wide variety of colors and fun patterns. Of course I wasn’t there that day and missed out. So I got one from Amazon which sells all kinds.

When my son was a tween, he had an orange-and-camo bucket hat that suited him to a T.  At the time, we did a lot of camping, fishing and hiking and he wore the hat all the time. He’s wearing it in several of my most favorite photos of him. I’ve parted with a good bit of his stuff from when he was little, but have no plans to part with the hat.

I love them - he won't wear them :(

• Upvote 3

My son came out with a full head of dark brown hair. Both of my girls are a dark blonde so I was hopeful that I would have one kid with my hair coloring... Nope. At 8 months it's now the exact same color as the other two. And my husband. Though I had lighter brown hair as a child so maybe their hair will darken. 

Same with eye coloring tbh... all three of my kids have ice blue eyes from my husband. They all look like my mini me except for hair and eye color. And the dimple on their chins from their daddy

Edited by OldFadedStar
  • Upvote 1