IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Clothing sizes are so dumb. I can wear a variety of sizes depending on the brand or what type of clothing it is (pants/skirt/top.) It's really annoying. A lot also depends on body shape too. I've seen women in the same size look drastically different. One may look quite thin while the other may look large.

I've tried on jeans at the same store (all house brand) and the ones that fit me were 2 different sizes (depending on the style of jeans).  I have a flat butt, big thighs, and a small waist so jeans are next to impossible to find.  

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

You know what's crazy? 14/16 is considered plus size! It's a perfectly good size to me, I have been up to a 26 and down to a 14 and currently at 18 and I am happy. Body image is still a problem for women, I have struggled all my life with it. All women should embrace themselves, big, small, and anywhere in between.

The average American woman is a 14!

6 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Clothing sizes are so dumb. I can wear a variety of sizes depending on the brand or what type of clothing it is (pants/skirt/top.) It's really annoying. A lot also depends on body shape too. I've seen women in the same size look drastically different. One may look quite thin while the other may look large.

Clothing sizes are a load of BULLSH*T.

They vary so much here in Aus as well. It does not help those with negative body image or low self-esteem.

I have huge boobs so anything my size will not fit me because most garments are designed with a B cup in mind.

Honestly I don't like shopping all that much; if I do shop it's at Target, Op shops (thrift stores); occasionally a brand name (very rare). I have rediscovered my passion for sewing so I am trying to make as many of my own clothes as possible.

I hate shopping for clothes. At home I just wear t-shirts and yoga pants. In public...t-shirts and jeans/shorts. These days, comfort is pretty important to me.

I have a wedding to attend this summer and I am already dreading trying to find something to wear.

In the fashion industry, plus size is size 8 (US). I remember because Ashley Graham was on Ellen a few weeks ago and mentioned that her size should be called "curvasexalicious."

@ClaraOswin I had that same dilemma last summer. Needed something for a wedding. I found a straight shift dress in a lite summery print for $15.00 at an Old Navy store. I wasn't expecting to find anything there, as I am much older than their demographic and was pleasantly surprised. I just looked online and they are having a 50% off sale....woohoo!

I'm thinking skirt and top will be my best bet to avoid needing alterations. And if I get a plain skirt I can wear it to another wedding down the road. (Or jury duty which I'm sure I'll get called for again.)

On 3/7/2016 at 5:55 AM, gustava said:

Arkansas is a beautiful place, especially around the Ozarks.  Hot Springs is fun.

We are.going to be vacationing in Arkansas soon too, so this is good to know! In out case it's to visit my husband's 92 year old grandmother.  My headship already nixed trying to go duggar spotting though. Lol. 

2 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

If anyone asks my size, I say"stretch". Depending on brand I fluctuate sizes, but 18 is usually good, especially since I insist on a bit of spandex. I like to look cute but comfort is key. I know what looks good on me now and that simplifies shopping a lot.

4 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Yes, exactly. :)

I've finally figured out which brands fit me for regular everyday clothes.  I order them online, in multiples, if possible.  I REALLY hate shopping for clothes IRL. ;)

I have friends that are lucky at finding vintage clothes at thrift stores. They go on buying trips on days of the week when the stores put out their new stock.

I'm too busy to do that.  Also, my vintage-wearing girlfriends are petite and thin and they easily fit into the vintage clothes that they find.

I'm tall and plus sized (according to 1950s- 60s standards).  I have much better luck with eBay. ;)

A few years ago when I was seriously cash-strapped I won a black 1960s wool winter coat on EBay that I really love for $15. It's a Peter Pan collared 3/4 sleeve number with no moth holes. It looks like something Samantha Stevens would have worn in her black and white days. :D

Fortunately or unfortunately, the winter weather where I've been since then has been on the warm side.  I've only worn it once. ;)

I've given up hope for snow this year.  Maybe next year will be the charm. :)

1 hour ago, CherylV said:

We are.going to be vacationing in Arkansas soon too, so this is good to know! In out case it's to visit my husband's 92 year old grandmother.  My headship already nixed trying to go duggar spotting though. Lol. 

Well, some headships just have no sense of fun. :kitty-wink:

12 hours ago, CherylV said:

He's so lucky to have his grandmother.

On 3/7/2016 at 5:55 AM, gustava said:
2 hours ago, gustava said:

He's so lucky to have his grandmother.

He is! Mine all passed away years ago. This trip is important to all of us because we live in Washington and she's not able to travel anymore. It may be our last time to spend with her. And sorry for messing up the quoting!

On the newest Counting On promo video (http://www.tlc.com/embed?page=185161) they ask the Duggar teens and young adults if anybody might be courting. Most of them say they don't want to answer the question, but there were two different answers.

1. Jana pointing to John David. It's about time! I get sick of the girls being pressured into marriage while the boys never get asked that question. They should have to answer it. And while you are at it - What is your full time job?  

2. Joy dodging Anna's boyfriend question. She would not say yes or no. I know there were rumors of either Jinger or Joy dating a Bates boy. I think Joy is too young to court because in the Duggar world courting means pre-marriage. She needs to be on a soccer or softball team with other kids! The promo makes it sound like something is up with her. Maybe it's just hype, most likely is... but still.     

According to various sources, JOSH SEEMS TO BE OUT of Prayer Prison.

There is no information about where exactly he is, but the Josh thread will be speculating soon enough.  

Hi, never made a peep.  Just been watching.  Been trying to load up my avatar.  Really just posting to see what comes up.  

lawence school of rock.jpg

On March 8, 2016 at 6:29 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I'm thinking skirt and top will be my best bet to avoid needing alterations. And if I get a plain skirt I can wear it to another wedding down the road. (Or jury duty which I'm sure I'll get called for again.)

Mr. J and I went through a time when a lot of our friends were getting married, it seemed like every other week.

I bought a wedding outfit for those occasions. it was a skirt and top. ( Good choice, CO ) :)

Nobody noticed it was the same outfit.   Maybe they did but they were too polite to mention it. IDK and I don't care. :)

I'm glad all our friends and family of marriagble age are already married.  :)

On 3/7/2016 at 7:31 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

A degree from Pensacola Christian College is only good for remaining within the fundie bubble. It's not like Jennifer learned about higher criticism, the documentary thesis, or any of the other scholarly topics one would learn in a more academically rigorously Master of Theological Studies or Master of Divinity program. I guess she could teach in a Christian school, but other than that I'm not sure what else she could do.

I'm not sure she could teach at a Christian school...maybe a funding one, but then you'd run into the whole "women-can't-teach-men" thing. 

I have an MDiv, and I can't even begin to think what "Biblical Exposition" is, because I would bet money she didn't do any work with Greek or Hebrew. It seems like it would function more as a stfu card when she gets in scriptural debates: "Well, do YOU have a MASTER'S DEGREE in Biblical Exposition? I do. Sit the hell down."

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

Mr. J and I went through a time when a lot of our friends were getting married, it seemed like every other week.

I bought a wedding outfit for those occasions. it was a skirt and top. ( Good choice, CO ) :)

Nobody noticed it was the same outfit.   Maybe they did but they were too polite to mention it. IDK and I don't care. :)

I'm glad all our friends and family of marriagble age are already married.  :)

I have 2 cousins who are engaged and then that's probably it for me until the next generation starts getting married. Those should be the only 2 baby showers I'll eventually have left too. Woohoo!

59 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

I'm not sure she could teach at a Christian school...maybe a funding one, but then you'd run into the whole "women-can't-teach-men" thing. 

I have an MDiv, and I can't even begin to think what "Biblical Exposition" is, because I would bet money she didn't do any work with Greek or Hebrew. It seems like it would function more as a stfu card when she gets in scriptural debates: "Well, do YOU have a MASTER'S DEGREE in Biblical Exposition? I do. Sit the hell down."

http://www.westgate-church.org/blog/post/what-is-biblical-exposition

An explanation. Seems like a useless degree especially for a woman (in their world).

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

http://www.westgate-church.org/blog/post/what-is-biblical-exposition

An explanation. Seems like a useless degree especially for a woman (in their world).

Yeah...that website and I share common words with an entirely different vocabulary ("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Princess Bride), but that's not too surprising. :56247957a2c7b_32(17): Thanks for the link and the info!

Pastor Mike Bullmore describes it like this: “The preacher says what the passage says, and he intends for his sermon to accomplish in his listeners exactly what God is seeking to accomplish through the chosen passage of his Word.”

Pretty arrogant to assume he knows what God is seeking.

2 hours ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Yeah...that website and I share common words with an entirely different vocabulary ("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Princess Bride), but that's not too surprising. :56247957a2c7b_32(17): Thanks for the link and the info!

Yeah, I kept re-reading it to figure wtf it was saying.

A couple new photos on the duggar official Facebook page. Michelle, Jackson, Jordyn, Josie, and Jenni in the waiting area of the dentist office. At least I think it's Jackson. I get all the howlers mixed up. If it is, why the heck is an 11 year old looking at flash cards that say 5+0? 6+0? Etc.

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

A couple new photos on the duggar official Facebook page. Michelle, Jackson, Jordyn, Josie, and Jenni in the waiting area of the dentist office. At least I think it's Jackson. I get all the howlers mixed up. If it is, why the heck is an 11 year old looking at flash cards that say 5+0? 6+0? Etc.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's Jackson, I think he's always been behind but kindergarten math when he should be 5th/6th grade is pathetic. Meanwhile, can someone pencil some eyebrows on Josie? Is there a headband for that?

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived