IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

On 3/4/2016 at 4:32 AM, ksgranola1 said:

Vintage clothes go to vintage & antigue  shoppes, not thrift stores. They seriously need to stop shopping in thrift shops. Really, they are not going to grow out of their clothes like the littles do. And no matter how classy you are, second hand clothes on an adult  just look like they are second hand.

I agree with one exception: wardrobe basics. At a good thrift store, one can often find essentials, such as a basic navy blazer, plain cotton button down blouses and shirts, pullovers,and accessories such as purses, belts, and sometimes outerware (trench coats, warm jackets). Men's suits can be plentiful, and age well.

Anything that names it's fashion period (oooh, say 80's padded shoulders) will age horribly, but will make for good costumes, and those seem to be the bulk of thrift shop fare.

Yes, for kids, perfect. For adults? Not so much.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2016 at 2:24 PM, religiouslyconfused said:

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2016/03/blind-items-revealed-8-100.html

Looks like this blind from a while got revealed as the Duggars, but it won't say who it is. It is a very vague blind and open to interpretation, as you know the Duggars could consider even kissing on the lips to be scandalous and sexual in nature!  

I think this is likely a "fantasy" blind item. I have a hard time believing Ben had sex with one of his sisters-in-law. And it couldn't be Derick because I think they were in South America during the holiday season.

21 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Horseback riding in a skirt, wearing sandals and bloomers was ridiculous. Poor Jana.

M was excited about the commercial dishwasher. Dishes clean in 3 minutes, no more dishpan hands. Seriously, when was the last time she did dishes?

Seriously, when was the last time they used real dishes?    I only ever see paper plates and foam cups. 

I swear, if they could figure out how to cook with paper pots they would do it. 

They probably use disposable aluminum for baking. I agree with the paper pot idea.

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think this is likely a "fantasy" blind item. I have a hard time believing Ben had sex with one of his sisters-in-law. And it couldn't be Derick because I think they were in South America during the holiday season.

I don't believe it either, but I was in "Josh hugged a girl after dark" team up until a couple of days before the shit got out, so I am not to trust

I'm vacationing in Arkansas fairly soon and I almost tried to convince my partner to drive to Tontitown for some Duggar-spotting.  

I refrained.  Barely. 

As far as I've been able to figure out they are kind of like gossip with no names but only hints to the identity. Not all of them turn out to be factual or ever reveal who they were meant to be about in the first place. 

The blind is BS but I wonder if the J'slaves do develop some low-key feelings for their sisters' boyfriends? Since they hardly interact with any  males who aren't family. To most of us on here, it seems icky to catch feelings for any of our siblings Significant Others, but they are more isolated from normal opposite sex interactions. 

3 hours ago, bucket said:

I'm vacationing in Arkansas fairly soon and I almost tried to convince my partner to drive to Tontitown for some Duggar-spotting. I refrained.  Barely. 

I had to read that post twice. My brain couldn't wrap around that you were "vacationing in Arkansas." You made it sound so proper. Like someone would say they were "vacationing in the French Alps." Why Arkansas?  

Watching SNL last Saturday, it dawned on my who Ben reminds me of when she makes his videos. Kyle Mooney in the "Inside Socal" skits.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, GreenTea said:

I had to read that post twice. My brain couldn't wrap around that you were "vacationing in Arkansas." You made it sound so proper. Like someone would say they were "vacationing in the French Alps." Why Arkansas?  

Arkansas is a beautiful place, especially around the Ozarks.  Hot Springs is fun.

9 hours ago, winterdice said:

I've never heard of 'a blind' before, except as a window covering. What does it mean?

Basically, it's a gossip item where they don't name the "celebrities" involved (hence, "blind"), ostensibly for legal reasons. Of course this means that pretty much anyone can make something up if they're vague enough about it.

I see that the Duggar's friend/substitute J'Slave Jenni Hartono just finished at Master's Degree at Pensacola Christian College:

CDAN has become notoriously fake.  Also answers tend to be what they want them to be and things have been revealed more than once with different answers.  

As I read the BI by the way, Brother in Law (so either Ben/Derrick OR one of Anna Brothers/BIL if you use BIL in with a wider scope) had sex with HIS SIL.  Since Derrick has one brother not married.  and Ben has sisters not married and the alternative is sex with a Duggar girl child, which while not out of the question I'm going to not go to for argument's sake) - then we bounce to Anna's family and one of her brother's or her BIL's.  Now a BIL's Sister in Law could very well be hanky panky between Anna's BIL and say her sister Suze.  

That said - I think CDAN is full of it.  

26 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I see that the Duggar's friend/substitute J'Slave Jenni Hartono just finished at Master's Degree at Pensacola Christian College:

Haha, when I first saw the first hashtag, I thought it said "if God brings you Tolt" (TOLT). I was like, who/what the hell is Tolt. Lol

ETA: It also kind of weirds me out that she takes no personal accountability for her achievement but lays it all at the hands of God. I mean, she must have worked pretty hard for an MA, she should own it!

Trying not to snark, but that sounds like such a useful degree to spend your time and money on. OK. Congratulations on the degree. I'm sure it took a lot of hard work, but Bible Exposition? I'm having really mixed feelings about this one.

Also, it's accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges, and the accreditation sounds a bit vague. Still, a female fundie got a degree of sorts, so that's good. On the other hand...I could fill up a page on this.

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Trying not to snark, but that sounds like such a useful degree to spend your time and money on. OK. Congratulations on the degree. I'm sure it took a lot of hard work, but Bible Exposition? I'm having really mixed feelings about this one.

Also, it's accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges, and the accreditation sounds a bit vague. Still, a female fundie got a degree of sorts, so that's good. On the other hand...I could fill up a page on this.

A degree from Pensacola Christian College is only good for remaining within the fundie bubble. It's not like Jennifer learned about higher criticism, the documentary thesis, or any of the other scholarly topics one would learn in a more academically rigorously Master of Theological Studies or Master of Divinity program. I guess she could teach in a Christian school, but other than that I'm not sure what else she could do.

On 3/4/2016 at 7:32 AM, ksgranola1 said:

Vintage clothes go to vintage & antigue  shoppes, not thrift stores. They seriously need to stop shopping in thrift shops. Really, they are not going to grow out of their clothes like the littles do. And no matter how classy you are, second hand clothes on an adult  just look like they are second hand.

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  The US has a huge textile waste problem,and there's just not enough demand in many thrift stores.  Shopping at places like Goodwill is not something that I can snark on them about.

I've also found many new with tags clothes at thrift stores.  And even though the Duggars are not known for their environmental stewardship, it's much more sustainable to shop at Goodwill than say Forever 21.  

17 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

A degree from Pensacola Christian College is only good for remaining within the fundie bubble. It's not like Jennifer learned about higher criticism, the documentary thesis, or any of the other scholarly topics one would learn in a more academically rigorously Master of Theological Studies or Master of Divinity program. I guess she could teach in a Christian school, but other than that I'm not sure what else she could do.

I found this pretty good Cracked article about PCC. http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1688-5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html

Did Anna go to Pensacola Christian or did she get something from an online mill?

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Did Anna go to Pensacola Christian or did she get something from an online mill?

Anna got some sort of online diploma.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

That's an online degree.  Also, that college does not have regional accreditation.  In other words, total waste of time and money.

43 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

That's an online degree.  Also, that college does not have regional accreditation.  In other words, total waste of time and money.

that's a shame. Seems like these girls/guys are eager to learn and get degrees...the thought that they don't get to have that chance at a "real education" makes me sad/mad. Then again...the dinner table diploma is probably not accepted at a "real" university...I wonder if they know that. I wonder if they realise how subpar their education is (beyond the laundry room for girls and the tool shed for boys).

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived