IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think this is likely a "fantasy" blind item. I have a hard time believing Ben had sex with one of his sisters-in-law. And it couldn't be Derick because I think they were in South America during the holiday season.

And because his wife does not leave his side even for a toilet break.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I see that the Duggar's friend/substitute J'Slave Jenni Hartono just finished at Master's Degree at Pensacola Christian College:

They get name tags?  At my school we give them diplomas. ;)

(Just snarking... I am sure she will get a diploma also.)

There's no way that's a real degree. What would someone even do with that?!

7 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  The US has a huge textile waste problem,and there's just not enough demand in many thrift stores.  Shopping at places like Goodwill is not something that I can snark on them about.

I've also found many new with tags clothes at thrift stores.  And even though the Duggars are not known for their environmental stewardship, it's much more sustainable to shop at Goodwill than say Forever 21.  

+1. I am a huge thrift store fan, and shop at them almost exclusively. I have the good fortune to live in an area with some really awesome ones to choose from, because it's a relatively affluent area where people tend to cast off barely worn, brand name and high-end clothing, which cheapskates like me can buy for next to nothing. I can't afford to shop fair trade, so this is a great way buy what we need without supporting a destructive and exploitative industry.

6 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

+1. I am a huge thrift store fan, and shop at them almost exclusively. I have the good fortune to live in an area with some really awesome ones to choose from, because it's a relatively affluent area where people tend to cast off barely worn, brand name and high-end clothing, which cheapskates like me can buy for next to nothing. I can't afford to shop fair trade, so this is a great way buy what we need without supporting a destructive and exploitative industry.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one! we buy almost only used, unless we need something specific that's hard to find at thrift stores. Like finding dressier pants for my husband (he's tall and skinny and it's hard to find his sizing).  We live rurally, surrounded by dirt, and spend a lot of time outdoors. My husband has a lot of "dirty" jobs around the house- like changing car oil, and I spend all day with a three year old.  even my new clothes look second hand after one wear.  We often walk into a savers/goodwill and most of the clothes look less worn than the ones we wore in.  I can't justify spending 25-40 on a blouse, so i can look nice for 5 minutes, then get a hole in it or stain on it 10 mins later.

For those of you that like thrift shopping, have you tried the thredUP app/website? I'm in no way affiliated with it or anything, promise! I just tried it out last month and really loved it. It's mostly mall brand stuff, not really high end labels, but the clothes were as depicted and in excellent condition. 

I buy a lot of my clothes at some terrific consignment shops in my area--I'm wearing a Banana Republic merino sweater right now that I got at one.

3 minutes ago, Hera said:

For those of you that like thrift shopping, have you tried the thredUP app/website? I'm in no way affiliated with it or anything, promise! I just tried it out last month and really loved it. It's mostly mall brand stuff, not really high end labels, but the clothes were as depicted and in excellent condition. 

I started buying from thred up years ago, when it was in its original format.  I loved it then. It's ok as now, but I feel like the prices are high for me. They have super high standards, and I've had some bad luck trying to sell to them   I once put a shirt in a bag, one I hadn't ever worn and bought from thred up a month before.  It was in the exact condition I bought it in, and they rejected it.

I save thred up for when I have coupons or a sale, or need something fancier. I mainly use it for my daughter. I find it's hit or miss for me in sizing I'm chunky and have better luck looking in person.    I'm not a label person, and generally want clothes I don't feel bad about ruining.  I consider a lot of thred ups clothes to be on my high end. My mom tends to buy my fancier clothes for me, and I try to save those for special occasions. 

Ahhh Pensacola Christian College. Went to that shitty place for a year. One of the worst years of my life. I'd love to have a snarkfest on that topic.  :Yes:

1 hour ago, Piano gal said:

Ahhh Pensacola Christian College. Went to that shitty place for a year. One of the worst years of my life. I'd love to have a snarkfest on that topic.  :Yes:

Dish, girl, dish!!!

13 minutes ago, gustava said:

Dish, girl, dish!!!

Where to even start? 

The "unchaperoned" areas such as the library where members of the opposite sex could not sit at the same table together? 

"Room checks" during chapel where they would go through your drawers looking for illegal items like "inappropriate" music---i.e. Disney soundtracks newer than 7 years old?

How about church attendance cards?

Ridiculous. 

Enjoy this rabbit hole.  

http://www.soulation.org/freeatlast/the-pcc-videos

21 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

This reminded me of my college orientation where some girl asked if there were curfews for the dorms and the RA (I'm assuming that's who it was) was like "No, we're not your mommy."

On 3/7/2016 at 9:46 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

I've also found many new with tags clothes at thrift stores.  And even though the Duggars are not known for their environmental stewardship, it's much more sustainable to shop at Goodwill than say Forever 21.  

I have donated new clothes with tags on them! To the Salvation Army, not Goodwill, SA has far lower administrative costs. I have purchased new items there also, including brand name and designer things. It's not all rags. Target donates unsold new items to Goodwill after each end of season clearance. I have no money issues, I just like a good bargain. And to help people by shopping, that's a win win to me.

3 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I have donated new clothes with tags on them! To the Salvation Army, not Goodwill, SA has far lower administrative costs. I have purchased new items there also, including brand name and designer things. It's not all rags. Target donates unsold new items to Goodwill after each end of season clearance. I have no money issues, I just like a good bargain. And to help people by shopping, that's a win win to me.

I've done the same! my mom is a shopoholic, and she often gets me things i just can't use. so they get donated. And i've found the same- brand new stuff. Great deals on kids shoes at goodwill when the target donations happen.

3 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I just used Goodwill as an example.  Personally, my thrift store of choice is on my local SPCA's property and supports them.  (I'd prefer local to national because I want the money to stay in the community).  I'm sure they've gotten new with tags clothes from me.  In late 2014, I cleaned out the junk closet and 4 Rubbermaid totes worth of clothes from when I worked at Kohl's and had access to cheap clothes.

I'm very skeptical about supporting the Salvation Army in general because of their anti LGBT stance and their religious nature (I prefer to donate money or goods to secular charities).  

I'm actually trying to buy 30 or fewer pieces of clothes this year (I was successful last year) and cutting down on my clothing consumption.  This includes new or new to me.  My mom offered to buy me a dress for a formal event, but instead I shopped my closet.  30 pieces may sound like a lot but I'm a recovering shopaholic and it's a strict but realistic goal for me.

@19 cats and counting, the Salvation Army has a megastore in my area, so it is convienient for me, I donate household goods and all kinds of stuff, not just clothes.

Politics aside, this org helps drug addicts and others who really need it, and spends very little on salaries and administrative overhead. I have no problem with this faith based org, I am a person of faith myself and I do not have to believe everything they believe to support charity. Heck, I dont believe everything my own church believes in! 

I have also donated work attire to orgs that provide nice interview clothes to women returning to work, who may be in a shelter or other transitional housing. I put together entire outfits, suit, blouse, and accessories. 

Salvation army kettles annoy me though.

I have slowed way down on clothes shopping. I work at home most of the time, and have plenty everything. Purging is an ongoing process with me. Plus, I plan to retire soon so belt tightening has been my practice for a while. I still fantasy shop though. 

@SilverBeach I think there's a SA store near me, but it is in a place where you have to pay for parking, so to donate to them is much easier by car.  It's about a 2 mile walk each way (doable, but harder with a garbage bag full of clothes).  

Unfortunately there's no place in my area to donate business attire to.  Otherwise they would have gotten all my dress pants (I've since gone Duggar in the dress clothes category and don't own dress pants anymore) or blazer that now swims on me (I lost 3 sizes last year).  So to the SPCA they went.

I buy everywhere, but I like to donate to the local thrift stores which are working in the community. I know Goodwill and SA work in the community, but I usually donate to our local battered women's shelter and soup kitchen.

I've donated clothes with tags. Shoes once once. Decent stuff. I like to donate to a local place that helps people with disabilities like down syndrome, mostly. It's a cool place.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

@SilverBeach I think there's a SA store near me, but it is in a place where you have to pay for parking, so to donate to them is much easier by car.  It's about a 2 mile walk each way (doable, but harder with a garbage bag full of clothes).  

Unfortunately there's no place in my area to donate business attire to.  Otherwise they would have gotten all my dress pants (I've since gone Duggar in the dress clothes category and don't own dress pants anymore) or blazer that now swims on me (I lost 3 sizes last year).  So to the SPCA they went.

Congrats on your weight loss, I have been up and down that elevator so many times, I have Oprah beat. I know how hard it is. Many have benefited from my donation of too small and too big clothes. I dress so casual now, I have a section of dress pants that are probably dry rotting.

BTW good for you for getting rid of clothes that swim on you. Too large clothes make us women of a certain size look bigger. I own mine and wear clothes that rock my curves no matter what size I am in currently.

@SilverBeach sad thing is that I noticed the blazer was swimming on me at my grandfather's funeral.  Not exactly a time to not look good (it was hot so I ended up not wearing it most of the time).  

I've never been plus sized (I was a 14-16 at my largest) but I am of the belief that women of all sizes need to feel comfortable in their body (it took me a long time for this).  Now I'm a 3-5 juniors depending on the brand/cut so I've been everything in between.  Skirts and dresses are much more forgiving for fluctuating weight.  

You know what's crazy? 14/16 is considered plus size! It's a perfectly good size to me, I have been up to a 26 and down to a 14 and currently at 18 and I am happy. Body image is still a problem for women, I have struggled all my life with it. All women should embrace themselves, big, small, and anywhere in between.

The average American woman is a 14!

Clothing sizes are so dumb. I can wear a variety of sizes depending on the brand or what type of clothing it is (pants/skirt/top.) It's really annoying. A lot also depends on body shape too. I've seen women in the same size look drastically different. One may look quite thin while the other may look large.

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived