IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, warriorblade8857 said:

Fundies favor calf-length skirts. So, while I agree that I can maintain day-to-day-level mobility in just-at-the-knee-length skirts, calf-length becomes much more difficult.

Recently, I found myself tailing a theif that stole my phone (at a very significant distance because I'm not stupid or suicidal) in a calf-length skirt. The skirt was definitely a hinderance. If he had been remotely violent, I wouldn't have been able to move away fast enough.

And then there's the problem of flashing people in above-the-knee skirts. I find myself restricting my movement, not because I can't move (I find them easier to move in), but because I'm afraid of accidentally flashing people.

All in all, it's hard for me to strike a balance between being able to move freely, yet not being constantly paranoid. It's easier to avoid skirts altogether if I know I have to move.

Edited to add: Also, for someone who doesn't wear skirts on a regular basis, when I do wear a skirt, I'm semi-dressed up. So, there's also a psychological barrier preventing me from moving freely or throwing myself cross-legged on the floor because I'm trying to "maintain my look".

So, did you get your phone back??

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

I thought they  bought pants from thrift stores and ripped open the inseams and made the skirts. 

Well, this explains a lot!

17 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

It has to be like wearing a wool blanket in the summer. Denim was made for men working in the fields. It's thick & heavy & more like canvas. How does that equate into a fashion statement. I remember when jeans became a "thing." I was 13 so it must have been about 1955. I asked my mother to get me a pair & they were lined in plaid flannel!

LOL at lined in plaid flannel. What! I hate wearing jeans. In the winter I do, but I generally find them very uncomfortable to wear for a long time. 

11 hours ago, warriorblade8857 said:

Fundies favor calf-length skirts. So, while I agree that I can maintain day-to-day-level mobility in just-at-the-knee-length skirts, calf-length becomes much more difficult.

Recently, I found myself tailing a theif that stole my phone (at a very significant distance because I'm not stupid or suicidal) in a calf-length skirt. The skirt was definitely a hinderance. If he had been remotely violent, I wouldn't have been able to move away fast enough.

And then there's the problem of flashing people in above-the-knee skirts. I find myself restricting my movement, not because I can't move (I find them easier to move in), but because I'm afraid of accidentally flashing people.

All in all, it's hard for me to strike a balance between being able to move freely, yet not being constantly paranoid. It's easier to avoid skirts altogether if I know I have to move.

Edited to add: Also, for someone who doesn't wear skirts on a regular basis, when I do wear a skirt, I'm semi-dressed up. So, there's also a psychological barrier preventing me from moving freely or throwing myself cross-legged on the floor because I'm trying to "maintain my look".

True, but I'm assuming tailing a phone thief isn't an every day activity for you (and I'm also curious to know if you got it back). There are a lot of outfits that suddenly become impractical if you find yourself in a very unusual situation but are fine for the average day. 

Granted, it's been a long time since I wore a skirt that was more than a few inches below the knee, but I don't recall them being that hard to move normally in. They made me walk a little differently, somehow, but didn't feel restrictive. But I know everyone feels comfortable or not in different things (like how some women can't stand wearing a bra and I can't stand to NOT be wearing one). 

Like you, I usually only wear a skirt or dress if I'm supposed to look "dressed up" so I totally get the psychological thing (although, now that I think about it, I do the same thing if I'm wearing my "nice" jeans or a new top or something made out of a delicate fabric), but I would think that fundies who wear skirts every day might not have that issue. Also, I don't keep up with enough fundies to know if this is an overall trend, or just among those who want to look good for TV, but the Duggars and Bateses, at least, seem to be wearing mostly knee-length skirts these days, which are less restricting than the long ones. 

5 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

So, did you get your phone back??

Oh, yes, the police caught him and retrieved my phone! Very lucky. He ended up pleading guilty of robbery in the second degree. Thanks for asking!

51 minutes ago, warriorblade8857 said:

Oh, yes, the police caught him and retrieved my phone! Very lucky. He ended up pleading guilty of robbery in the second degree. Thanks for asking!

Sounds like quite the ordeal! 

3 hours ago, Jenirishdancer said:

Sounds like quite the ordeal! 

It was definitely a learning experience. I didn't have any experience with the court system before this.

A floor level dress or skirt can look elegant. Trailing through an airport in one wearing flip flops, just looks sloppy to me. JMO.

1 hour ago, warriorblade8857 said:

It was definitely a learning experience. I didn't have any experience with the court system before this.

Well, hopefully, you won't have to have more experience with it !

7 minutes ago, Jenirishdancer said:

Well, hopefully, you won't have to have more experience with it !

Thank you! I will certainly try not to!

The Duggars are desperate to regain their TV fame and fortune after earning $25,000 to $45,000 per episode of "19 Kids and Counting." In 2015, the Duggar family reportedly lost over $25 million on lost book deals, endorsements and speaking engagements.

The Duggar children said they miss being famous and are thrilled to return to TV. The new season of "Jill & Jessa: Counting On" premieres March 15.

From Examiner

At least they are frank about being famous.

Hmm. Anna usually goes longer between pregnancies, but if she had a conjugal visit with Josh, it's possible. Meredith won't be geting a lot of attention.

I will sit back and see how it all unfolds. :popcorn2::popcorn2:

Apologies if this has already been shared (I couldn't find it in skimming), but did you all see this crap-tastic Inquisitor article that came out about JBoob and Michelle today? Do spare yourself if you can, but if you're like me and have a knack for exposing yourself to total fuckery from time to time... here it is!

JIM BOB AND MICHELLE DUGGAR HAILED PUBLIC RELATION GENIUSES FOR PROMOTION TACTICS WITH ‘JILL AND JESSA: COUNTING ON’ (copy/paste link alternative: http://www.inquisitr.com/2848831/jim-bob-and-michelle-duggar-hailed-public-relation-geniuses-for-promotion-tactics-with-jill-and-jessa-counting-on/)

... no seriously, that's the title. If you're wondering who exactly is hailing the Duggars as PR geniuses, you're in good company, because I don't know either. The only person who seems to be doing so is the author of this piece, so my guess is that whoever published this mess did so strictly for clicks, and created the headline as a means of distancing the Inquistor brand from the outrageous claims being made by the author (without disconnecting from the attention it was bound to bring).

It's pretty bad. I had a hard time picking a single excerpt to share, but I think this one really captures the gist of what's being expressed:

The entire Duggar family has suffered at the hands of Josh Duggar, but no one more than Jim Bob and Michelle. They were constantly criticized for how they handled the initial problem with Josh and his sisters, and then their every move was scrutinized to the point of bringing some of the family members to tears. While the Duggars aren’t perfect, people believe they should be. After the year the family experienced in 2015, it is surprising they will be returning to television. Several fans wrote to the TLC network and demanded they put the Duggars back on the air. While Jim Bob and Michelle will no longer be front and center, fans are still excited to be able to watch the family grow and branch off with their own families.

:562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

On 2 March 2016 at 6:06 PM, warriorblade8857 said:

I think the fact that they choose to wear pants under their skirt highlights how impractical it can be. And I'm not just referring to the little girls, but also to Joy and Jessa when they're working out. I live in an area populated with many orthodox Jews, and the women run wearing skirts BUT with leggings underneath them. If you need to wear leggings to ensure that your skirt is "modest" and not flashing people, you should just be wearing the damn pants. I think this is even more the case with the little girls...

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

From Examiner

At least they are frank about being famous.

After the past year you would think they'd have had enough of fame. I guess I'm naive.

11 hours ago, mizandry said:

[snipped] It's pretty bad. I had a hard time picking a single excerpt to share, but I think this one really captures the gist of what's being expressed:

The entire Duggar family has suffered at the hands of Josh Duggar, but no one more than Jim Bob and Michelle. They were constantly criticized for how they handled the initial problem with Josh and his sisters, and then their every move was scrutinized to the point of bringing some of the family members to tears. While the Duggars aren’t perfect, people believe they should be. After the year the family experienced in 2015, it is surprising they will be returning to television. Several fans wrote to the TLC network and demanded they put the Duggars back on the air. While Jim Bob and Michelle will no longer be front and center, fans are still excited to be able to watch the family grow and branch off with their own families.

:562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

No one suffered more at the hands of Josh than his parents? :pb_eek:

Errm - what about the girls he molested? (Just saying...)

WTF indeed. :COLERE:

2 minutes ago, St.Clara said:

No one suffered more at the hands of Josh than his parents? :pb_eek:

Errm - what about the girls he molested? (Just saying...)

WTF indeed. :COLERE:

And his wife!

And his children. His parents suffered? The only thing they suffered was the temporary loss of the gravy train.

Oh, you guys.  You know the only people who matter in the Duggar household are JB and Michelle.  It's not like their kids, in-laws or grandkids are actually people with independent thoughts or feelings or anything.  

If the Duggars miss being "famous" they need to stop whining about the press "victimizing" them. 

Also I can't believe Inquisitr just used "Duggar" and "genius" in the same sentence. 

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

And his children. His parents suffered? The only thing they suffered was the temporary loss of the gravy train.

Not to mention they already have money in many other places so they weren't hurting.

Professional grifters- that's all they are.

Izzy is almost a year & Spud is 3/4 months old-I don't for one minute believe that these girls are not using birth control. I'm sure Jill will hop on the baby wagon once they get back in 3-4 months and don't buy that she is already pregnant. One report is already spotting a "small baby bump" on Anna b/c she was wearing a loose sweater. Come on.

6 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

Izzy is almost a year & Spud is 3/4 months old-I don't for one minute believe that these girls are not using birth control. I'm sure Jill will hop on the baby wagon once they get back in 3-4 months and don't buy that she is already pregnant. One report is already spotting a "small baby bump" on Anna b/c she was wearing a loose sweater. Come on.

I can believe they aren't using BC. Not everyone's cycle comes back immediately. I know some people that have gotten theirs back right away despite breastfeeding, and I know people that didn't get theirs back until 14-15 months post partum and everything in between (including myself). 

Michelle quit breastfeeding at 6 months and handed the baby over to a sister mom, so she was free to get pregnant again. Jill has no one to hand Izzy to, and she may be enjoying her time with him.  Who knows (or wants to know) about her cycle? Maybe with the Zika they're using some form of NFP. I'm sure they will announce it from the rooftops as soon as someone is pregnant again. Thankfully, it won't be M.

I hope I did this right!

Does anyone recognize the guy in the gray shirt in the top left corner of the picture? I'm not familiar with fundies other than Duggars and Bates. I'm hoping for a nice guy for Jana or Jinger!

I agree with BadWolf. I think Jill would have to be worried about Zika, it's all over the news. All she has to do is avoid getting pregnant until they return to Arkansas. I could see them staying away from the mission field once "Counting On" takes off (if it does) - too much money to be made - or changing to short-term travel missions a.k.a. vacations during which you hand out bible tracts and preach to people, during the times when she's not in the first or second trimester.

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived