IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 17

Coconut Flan

I just went on ebay and I did see some that look cheaper.

I also saw something called "19 Kids and Preaching." Just what I want to watch...Josh 'preaching' at the White House.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I also saw something called "19 Kids and Preaching." Just what I want to watch...Josh 'preaching' at the White House.

Uhhhh ..... ?

10 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I love the first comment on that: "I don't think Jesus would have charged $9.99 to share the gospel."

Plus, the preview video is private on YouTube, so you can't even watch it.  The pictures they show are all from years ago.

I bet the video was taken down after the scandal. No one wants to see douchey Josh preaching.

5 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I bet the video was taken down after the scandal. No one wants to see douchey Josh preaching.

Apparently this is a video Jim Bob just put together to make some quick money.  From the pictures, it looks like just bits and pieces from old shows where they talk about their religion.  Since only the adult kids are getting paid for the new show on TLC and he and Michelle haven't had paid speaking engagements in almost a year, Jim Bob has to be really hurting for income right now. Poor ol' Jim Bob might have to sell an airplane or two!

6 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Thanks for the link.  I can't believe the description:

"Join TV host and bestselling author Ray Comfort as he offers tips on how to preach the gospel, and then watch as Joshua Duggar takes courage, steps up to the plate, and preaches open-air style—outside the White House! Listen as Jim Bob and Michelle unashamedly testify to their Christian faith in the open air at a local university. This up-close and personal look at the Duggar family’s faith in action will encourage and inspire you."

Granted that this is an old video, but what kind of audience wants to see Josh preaching?  

This up close and personal look at their faith, will definitely not encourage and inspire me.

watching the new episode right now and first: I can't believe they all say "spurgeon" without cringing or making a face. It somehow really surprised me. :P and secondly...when Anna speaks...does she truly believe what she's saying herself? Because something about her eyes...it's like she's trying to block out what she's really thinking. 

19 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

... and secondly...when Anna speaks...does she truly believe what she's saying herself? Because something about her eyes...it's like she's trying to block out what she's really thinking. 

Anna was well aware that Josh would be watching the episode eventually.  So, no, she isn't going to say what she really feels.  She is trying to make nice for the show and for her religion, just like the Duggars taught her to do. :my_confused:

16 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Anna was well aware that Josh would be watching the episode eventually.  So, no, she isn't going to say what she really feels.  She is trying to make nice for the show and for her religion, just like the Duggars taught her to do. :my_confused:

I think it's more complicated than that. I'm sure that is a subconscious part of it, but I also think she does on some level really believe what she is saying. It's like cognitive dissonance. I think she must feel the doubts and the pain and anger that any of us would feel in that situation but her family and her upbringing has made sure she is well practiced in suppressing that for Jesus. So I think it's both that she feels things she can't say AND that she believes what she is saying.

3 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

and secondly...when Anna speaks...does she truly believe what she's saying herself? Because something about her eyes...it's like she's trying to block out what she's really thinking. 

I think she's doing what that pastor she was talking about advised her to do. Do the right thing and say the right thing- just do it for 15 minutes at a time. Because if you think any further ahead, you'll realize how ridiculous and futile such speech and actions are.

Learning to block out what you're really thinking & feeling is brainwashing 101. 

I was watching Digging in With the Duggars due to a discussion in another thread and suddenly noticed Michelle has a very odd way of speaking. It's a bit like upspeak except she frequently does on every few words or so in her sentence, for example when she says "BEFORE I came to know the LORD, I had been STRUGGLING in my self worth. I had been STARTING  a BAD habit of MAKING myself get sick, after I would EAT." I find it interesting because it reminds me of the way a person might talk to a toddler, you have to really emphasize the parts of the sentence you most want them to focus on. Except we all know she doesn't spend that much time interacting with her kids and hasn't for years, so I wonder how/why she picked up the habit. 

7 minutes ago, missegeno said:

It's because speaking that way helps her pretend that she actually parents her children.

Fair enough! Lol. I was wondering if maybe it has to do with the infantilization of women in fundie-ism. 

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I was watching Digging in With the Duggars due to a discussion in another thread and suddenly noticed Michelle has a very odd way of speaking. It's a bit like upspeak except she frequently does on every few words or so in her sentence, for example when she says "BEFORE I came to know the LORD, I had been STRUGGLING in my self worth. I had been STARTING  a BAD habit of MAKING myself get sick, after I would EAT." I find it interesting because it reminds me of the way a person might talk to a toddler, you have to really emphasize the parts of the sentence you most want them to focus on. Except we all know she doesn't spend that much time interacting with her kids and hasn't for years, so I wonder how/why she picked up the habit. 

She also does something with her eyes and facial expressions. I can't explain it but I noticed that Anna has started doing it too.

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

She also does something with her eyes and facial expressions. I can't explain it but I noticed that Anna has started doing it too.

That comes from being dead inside. 

On 15/03/2016 at 2:51 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I remember seeing that back when it was new, which was before the joshgates.

Well actually the only thing I remember was they ended up at some pizza place and ended up helping in the kitchen.

On 3/16/2016 at 2:40 AM, DuggarWatch said:

Jennifer Garner needs to teach Anna a master class in cheating scandal PR.

22 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I would bet TLC coached her so her voice didn't put us to sleep.

4 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Howlers will be Howlers - special appearance of Princess Josie

1176393_10209428269727954_68958674871281

I've gotta say, these boys are way too old to be acting this way.  Maybe this is just another "look, we're a normal family that has fun together" ploy. but in a family where the girls at this age are expected to be proper young ladies and to begin taking care of their younger siblings, this frustrates me. "Girls! act proper, smile correctly, stare adoringly at your father/brothers. Clean this floor, scrub this toilet and change this diaper"  "Boys. Climb on this, jump over that, whatever."

• choralcrusader8613 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived