I don't know why I thought I wanted to check in with Lori today. Or why I didn't heed my own warning, when I realized that the title of her blog isn't, in fact, "Never Learning." (Yes, I typed "Never Learning" into search, then remembered that despite how I think of it in my head, her blog is incorrectly called "Always Learning.") 

Lori just doesn't understand that people are different. Back when I believed in something, I believed that "God" gave everyone different talents and interests and abilities. And regardless of the existence of a loving creator, that's still true. We all have different talents. Some people are good at singing and some people have the aptitude to be doctors and others are just useless (like, oh, Lori.). Some people are great at cooking and childcare, other people ... meh. And that's OK. We need all these different skills and talents in the world. (Maybe not useless judgy bloggers, or Wall Street Bankers, but you know, mostly having different perspectives is a good thing). 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lori says:  When I married Ken, he was in seminary to be a preacher. I expected to be a preacher's wife when I married him

I think she didn't complete her thought here.  I think she really means "I expected to be a preacher's wife...until I realized Ken could make more money doing something else."

I've always wondered if Ken would have been more content in the ministry field but Lori pushed him to do something more lucrative to give her the same lifestyle in which she was raised.  I don't think for one minute she supported him in his life and career plans. 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

:pb_lol: Yes, apparently The Godly Mentor didn't appreciate it when Ken wandered out of Internet Land with a laundry list of changes that needed to be made to her blog- courtesy of Free Jinger.

I think she thought he'd come here and straighten all the wayward women folk out, but in reality he got his ass handed to him, and ended up wanting her to change Always Learning based on our suggestions.  

What changes did he want her to make?

My son, Steven, found his bride in Houston and she readily left her family and schooling behind to go where Steven was going for his career.

Wait, isn't Steven married to Emily?  Didn't Emily graduate from law school before she and Steven moved?  We need our resident Emily expert, @jerkit to confirm...in any case, I highly doubt that Emily dropped out of law school to follow Steven to New York.

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Wait, isn't Steven married to Emily?  Didn't Emily graduate from law school before she and Steven moved?  We need our resident Emily expert, @jerkit to confirm...in any case, I highly doubt that Emily dropped out of law school to follow Steven to New York.

She did not finish law school.

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

She did not finish law school.

Hard to believe, but it looks like she either dropped out of law school or is on leave of some kind. She started her own calligraphy business after moving with Steven to New York.

"Life before birth control," in Lori's world, translates to "life in the 1950s." I guess she doesn't realize that condoms have been around for a long, long, LONG time. Much longer than 60 years. And diaphragms have been around since at least the 1800s. 

eta: And as for, "There was no such thing as"safe" and legal abortions. " Nope, she's wrong there, too. Abortion has not always been illegal (although it definitely wasn't always safe). For a substantial amount of time, abortion was considered a matter between a woman and her midwife. Imagine that.

"Most people owned guns but no one went into classrooms and shot children dead."

Actually, this happened too. There were school shootings as early as the 18th and 19th centuries.

Doesn't this woman claim to have been a teacher? The idea of a woman brimming with that much ignorance trying to teach impressionable children scares the fire out of me.

16 hours ago, Hisey said:

Hard to believe, but it looks like she either dropped out of law school or is on leave of some kind. She started her own calligraphy business after moving with Steven to New York.

Correct. She has said nothing on social media about going back to law school though. So I'm inclined to believe she's a SAHW and does calligraphy on the side.

13 minutes ago, jerkit said:

Correct. She has said nothing on social media about going back to law school though. So I'm inclined to believe she's a SAHW and does calligraphy on the side.

I have nothing against a SAHW (heh...I am one) but as a parent paying for college tuition right now...  *Channels Michelle Duggar: It's the season of life we're in*...I'd be HUGELY disappointed if my daughter left college to follow a man across the country.  If for no other reason, I'd have in mind the very large sum of money my husband and I had invested in that education.  Granted, she could have been paying for school herself, but judging by the wedding, her parents seem to be very well-to-do, so, yes, I'm assuming they were paying for it.   Either way, the Bible does remind us to be a good steward with our resources and I can't see where paying for school and quitting before graduation is good financial practice.  I cannot imagine the sense of waste I'd feel.  Frankly, I'd feel like I'd raised a very ungrateful young woman if she'd quit school after knowing what her parents had invested in it. 

There's now way Ken could say he doesn't understand that viewpoint. He's made it abundantly clear that he thinks of money a lot and it's probably a good (though futile) thing since Lori never gives it a thought.   

I do know there are valid reasons to leave college before graduation. I do NOT, however, think that following an arrogant and self centered man is one of them. Couldn't Steven have worked or studied where Emily was attending law school until she finished?  It would have only been a couple of years. 

I got married the end of my Jr. year in college.  My parents were less than thrilled.  I did, however, work a while and then went back , finished school and went to grad school on my own dime.  

Maybe her parents were sending her to law school so she could marry an attorney?  (who knows how fundies think)

1 hour ago, polecat said:

"Life before birth control," in Lori's world, translates to "life in the 1950s." I guess she doesn't realize that condoms have been around for a long, long, LONG time. Much longer than 60 years. And diaphragms have been around since at least the 1800s. 

eta: And as for, "There was no such thing as"safe" and legal abortions. " Nope, she's wrong there, too. Abortion has not always been illegal (although it definitely wasn't always safe). For a substantial amount of time, abortion was considered a matter between a woman and her midwife. Imagine that.

"Most people owned guns but no one went into classrooms and shot children dead."

Actually, this happened too. There were school shootings as early as the 18th and 19th centuries.

Doesn't this woman claim to have been a teacher? The idea of a woman brimming with that much ignorance trying to teach impressionable children scares the fire out of me.

Lori's knowledge of history, even in a broad overview sense, is practically nil. I tried once, on her blog, to explain to her that things were not as she thought they were back in the halcyon days of yore, but both she and Ken responded with fingers in ears and la-la-la's issuing forth from their lips. I've never come across such deliberate obtuseness in all my life.

7 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I do know there are valid reasons to leave college before graduation. I do NOT, however, think that following an arrogant and self centered man is one of them. Couldn't Steven have worked or studied where Emily was attending law school until she finished?  It would have only been a couple of years. 

Yes, but then Lori couldn't brag about her daughters and daughters-in-law dropping everything to follow their men as that is the way it should be!!!!!!

You really wonder about Lori's kids and kids-in-law.  Are they as on-board with her thinking as she claims?  Maybe they just tell her what she wants to hear.

46 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I have nothing against a SAHW (heh...I am one) but as a parent paying for college tuition right now...  *Channels Michelle Duggar: It's the season of life we're in*...I'd be HUGELY disappointed if my daughter left college to follow a man across the country.  If for no other reason, I'd have in mind the very large sum of money my husband and I had invested in that education.  Granted, she could have been paying for school herself, but judging by the wedding, her parents seem to be very well-to-do, so, yes, I'm assuming they were paying for it.   Either way, the Bible does remind us to be a good steward with our resources and I can't see where paying for school and quitting before graduation is good financial practice.  I cannot imagine the sense of waste I'd feel.  Frankly, I'd feel like I'd raised a very ungrateful young woman if she'd quit school after knowing what her parents had invested in it. 

There's now way Ken could say he doesn't understand that viewpoint. He's made it abundantly clear that he thinks of money a lot and it's probably a good (though futile) thing since Lori never gives it a thought.   

This is conjecture, but I think Lori wants everyone to believe that Emily quit law school to be a fundie SAHW but in reality she just didn't enjoy law school and quit when she met Steven simply because it was convenient timing.

Many more bad and ugly things have come from birth control than good.

Like, say, defying your husband and sabotaging said birth control so you could manipulate him to get your way?

A calligraphy business? That just seems so odd. There is another blogger who is a SAHW in NYC who rants whenever she is asked what she does or if she has children. 

I would find it hard to be young, get married and move across the country and be a SAHW. Who are your peers? People your age are usually working and starting their careers, or taking care of babies with other moms. I'm an introvert and don't mind doing things alone, but I would certainly be lonely in this situation. Man, even if she did not like law school she will regret dropping out. Wether or not a person practices law it's a nice accomplishment. What do they have to talk about over dinner? 

Being a SAHW when your children are grown seems different somehow because I would think you would still be involved in your adult children's lives and still be in touch with your neighbors and friends and active in your community. Not to say Emily is not active in her community and church.

So what do calligraphers do? Wedding invitations? I feel stupid and ignorant for not knowing. I'm stumped.

She's so cruel and callous towards her readers. 

A reader says: 

Thid is a difficult read for me. I'm one of 11 kids. Having that many kids destroyed my moms health. my dad worked so hard to provide for us that I feel like I grew up without a father. That's the reality of having a huge family. 

And Lori responds:

I'm not sure it's having the 11 children that destroyed your mother's health. There are many mothers who have had that many children and more and their health has not been destroyed, yet we are called to be living sacrifices and bearing and raising children is a sacrifice the Lord has called us to do. Even if it did destroy her health, it was for a wonderful cause; bringing children into the world. God calls this good so who are we to say it is anything but good. 

Lori's opinion does NOT discount her reader's actual LIVED experience. I know this is really nothing new for her, but it always astounds me that she can be so freaking obnoxious and self-important. 

Then again, she IS the GOD of the UNIVERSE'S mouthpiece.

Of course Lori didn't believe it was a cause wonderful enough for HER to further destroy her own health by continuing to have children.  "God calls this good so who are we to say it is anything but good....unless LORI IS IN POOR HEALTH." 

5 minutes ago, polecat said:

She's so cruel and callous towards her readers. 

A reader says: 

And Lori responds:

Lori's opinion does NOT discount her reader's actual LIVED experience. I know this is really nothing new for her, but it always astounds me that she can be so freaking obnoxious and self-important. 

Then again, she IS the GOD of the UNIVERSE'S mouthpiece.

What on earth does Lori mean, "I'm not sure it destroyed your mother's health"?  Is she able to tell that kind of thing by reading a brief post by the woman's daughter?  Wouldn't the daughter know more about her own mother's health than The Godly Net Mentor who's never met her at all?  And didn't Lori herself use her health as an explanation for why she and Ken only had 4 children???

NFP is a much different form of birth control than the others since it is not nearly as fool-proof, it does nothing to harm your health as the others ones do except the condom, and it's usually used to space children out, not prevent them completely. The final decision needs to be made between you and your husband, not me.

^^Lori's thoughts on NFP as compared to "evil" birth control.

That's all I have to say about that. 

11 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Of course Lori didn't believe it was a cause wonderful enough for HER to further destroy her own health by continuing to have children.  "God calls this good so who are we to say it is anything but good....unless LORI IS IN POOR HEALTH." 

Exactly.  Again, grace and liberty only apply to Lori.

I won't even comment on her post, because honestly it's just sad that anyone could be so ignorant.  Her assertion that women didn't have to work "in the good old days" is just absolutely idiotic.  Dare I say she has Affluenza?  

Our society is so opposed to any type of suffering yet God commands that we rejoice in our sufferings. Yes, many women suffer bearing and raising children and many men suffer working long hours to support their families but suffering isn't bad.

As long as you're not Lori.  

Reader:

I wish so much that I could have lived in the world you described in your post, Lori.

*Snort*  It didn't exist.

You know, it's really not Lori's posts that upset me so much as her replies to comments. 

For instance the one we are discussing now - about the woman who feels her mother's health was ruined by having so many children - Lori's response is just callous.  I can think of one woman I know in real life who would respond like that and I often refer to her as "one of the meanest people I know." 

Some of these (naïve) readers actually think they are going to receive compassion and understanding when they comment to Lori and she basically spits in their faces.  I don't know why I continue to be shocked by her cruel nature, but I am. 

Most couples only want one or two children; not enough to "multiply" as the Lord command

Wait, so Lori is suggesting it's a good idea for people to bear children that she admits that they don't actually want? Even if she can't see how unhealthy that is for the reluctant parent, she can't see how that would be bad for the unwanted child?

Reader:

I have friends who have had serious health issues and had to limit their family size to 1 or 2 children. Reliable contraception has allowed them to continue enjoying a physical relationship with their husbands and to be there for their children. 

I can’t condone or condemn ever instance of contraception use, but I have seen where some lives were likely saved by it.

Lori:

Yes, this is true but at what cost? Millions of unborn babies have been murdered because of it. Not worth it, in my opinion.

As usmcmom said, she's just pure mean.  She quit having kids because she wasn't in the best of health, but everyone else should just breed until they die?  What kind of person suggests that kind of thing?  

What about the kids that woman already has?  They need their mother.   What about her?  What about the family that will be left to mourn her if she literally breeds herself to death?  

Lori's moaning about the "millions of unborn babies" who have been "murdered" by birth control, but she doesn't seem to give a damn about the women she's asking to die in the name of "joyful suffering".

It's just wrong on so many levels.

And millions of born babies have been killed, neglected and treated cruelly, simply because they were born to people who shouldn't have been parents.

All the more reason why contraceptives are better off being available and free for all to use, says I. I'd rather read about millions of dead unborn babies than one more story about a parent killing their child. Like the asshat who poured gasoline on his toddler daughter and set her on fire? Or like the two piece of shit parents who ignored their son for seven days while he starved to death in a carseat? Yeah, those stories are ones I don't like to read.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived