IGNORED

The Duggars' Megyn Kelly Lie-a-Thon Shit Show- Part 2

happy atheist

Everyone is aware that the phrase originates from Jonestown... It's become a common saying and is not in any way particular to this board.

EDIT: And it's used to refer to buying into beliefs, not death. Regardless of where it originated, that is not how the saying is used in popular culture today.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the expression was a good one for reminding people that extreme beliefs are indeed like drinking poison. The end result of fundamentalism is death in so many ways.

For that reason, I vote to keep it.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear after reading comments defending this family I don't understand how we can deny white privilege. I also see people defending Dennis Hastert. If the Duggars were black it would be a different story. I didn't know 14 was a kid according to RRepublicans 12 is a grown man

Side note: jonestown wasn't Kool Aid. It was Flavor aid.

Huh, TIL! Thanks for the clarification. I guess "don't drink the Flavor Aid" just didn't have the same ring.

I felt like Fox News showed that number only because It Was The Right Thing To Do. Anyone who had just watched the interview would have seen JB say that juvenile programs don't have a high rate of success, so why would someone in a similar situation even bother to make the phone call? And anyone with a similar home environment isn't going to have a TV in their home, so they wouldn't even know such help exists.

Anyone remember The United States of Tara on Showtime? As a young child, Tara was molested by an older half brother who had come to live with them. In order to protect Tara from further abuse, the mom put her and her younger sister in foster care until mom and dad (half brother's father) could deal with the (step)son. But hey, that's just TV, and everyone knows that stuff on TV never happens in real life.

I dare say people should do whatever they can to never have a.child sent to foster care. I bet the numbers of abuse double or.tripple for foster kids.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the expression was a good one for reminding people that extreme beliefs are indeed like drinking poison. The end result of fundamentalism is death in so many ways.

For that reason, I vote to keep it.

No, I don't think you're wrong at all - that's also been the way I've always heard the expression used. It's never been a malicious thing... it's always been used with regard to dangerous, extreme beliefs. I also vote to keep it!

I guess Jessa is my sample of the day. I don't think she wants to break away. Forget that she has travelled, been on cover of mags, 1000's of fans... if she really wanted to breakaway from JB & TTH she wouldn't have gone into courtship and then married a 19 yo that she knew would keep her dependent on the system.

Which is why Jessa is going I'm hard. Jill has a man with a real job. Jessa has an unemployed husband. Both girls live in houses owned by JB. Jessa wants that people spread and for thumpers to tell her how pretty she is.

Huh, TIL! Thanks for the clarification. I guess "don't drink the Flavor Aid" just didn't have the same ring.

OT overall, but speaking of Jonestown, when I was in college, my landlords had 2 daughters and a grandchild die in Jonestown. The second daughter went to get the first daughter who was in the cult (grandchild Jim Jones fathered btw) and the the parents, said don't go after her, we'll figure it out. She said I'm not stupid enough to join a cult. Smash cut to Kool-Aid... Flavor-Aid... whatever Suicide-Aid.

It was the case of a proprietary eponym. Koolaid was just the word everyone used for powder drink flavors.

Like bandaid or q-tip or kleenex.

OT overall, but speaking of Jonestown, when I was in college, my landlords had 2 daughters and a grandchild die in Jonestown. The second daughter went to get the first daughter who was in the cult (grandchild Jim Jones fathered btw) and the the parents, said don't go after her, we'll figure it out. She said I'm not stupid enough to join a cult. Smash cut to Kool-Aid... Flavor-Aid... whatever Suicide-Aid.

OOF. That's crazy and sad! I feel like saying "I'm not stupid enough to join a cult" right before attempting to infiltrate a cult is almost a surefire way to find yourself hopelessly indoctrinated lol ... kind of like when someone on Game of Thrones says "Don't worry, I'll be right behind you!" and the fandom immediately mourns their imminent death.

I laughed at "smash cut to Kool-Aid", btw, and I'm not sure if that makes me a bad person LOL!

I swear after reading comments defending this family I don't understand how we can deny white privilege. I also see people defending Dennis Hastert. If the Duggars were black it would be a different story. I didn't know 14 was a kid according to RRepublicans 12 is a grown man

If the Duggars were black we wouldn't be talking about it. Because TLC would never have given them a show. And if TLC DID give them a show, no way 4 million of God-fearing white Christians would be watching it. And if they DID somehow watch it, the WORLD would have come down on that 15 yo (and he would Always be referred to as 15, not 14) black boy who raped all his sisters.

Also, race aside, if that 14 yo Joshie had taken out his 'interest' in girls by killing a couple of them, wanna bet he'd be considered a man for trial? Children as young as 10 are being tried as adults for murdering other children, but boys will be boys, yanno.

I felt like Fox News showed that number only because It Was The Right Thing To Do. Anyone who had just watched the interview would have seen JB say that juvenile programs don't have a high rate of success, so why would someone in a similar situation even bother to make the phone call? And anyone with a similar home environment isn't going to have a TV in their home, so they wouldn't even know such help exists.

Anyone remember The United States of Tara on Showtime? As a young child, Tara was molested by an older half brother who had come to live with them. In order to protect Tara from further abuse, the mom put her and her younger sister in foster care until mom and dad (half brother's father) could deal with the (step)son. But hey, that's just TV, and everyone knows that stuff on TV never happens in real life.

Can I just say -- USoT remains my favorite show ever. My heart just leapt to see a reference to it on FJ, ha ha. :)

The weird thing is that I've been rewatching it these last couple of weeks and I too have noticed the parallels. Ungh.

What was I thinking? I had some ginger beer, and if I hadn't drunk it all up I could mix it with some gin, watch Megyn, and have a jin-jinger-ron. Instead I'll just have to stick to straight gin.

Actually, I don't think I'll watch; I can't bear it. I can read about what happens and am grateful to everyone who explains what happens, but . . . I don't have what it would take to watch. I'm not an incest victim, but still . . .

These Duggar girls seem to be in pretty good psychological shape, considering, but when I think about this whole mess I remember a day long ago when I'd asked a student into my office to ask if everything was okay, because she was behaving really bizarrely, talking at random, and unable to answer questions coherently. Her papers were a kind of word salad. I taught at a big college but had small classes, and she was both worrisome and a distraction to other students, who had started to focus on her and what weird thing she was going to say next rather than on the subject matter.

I had been a student when people were taking LSD and smoking dope and God knows what all else before going to class, so for me to think a student was acting truly, truly bizarre was unusual. In my office it was hard to make sense of what she was saying for a long time, but eventually I began to realize that she was living at home (nothing wrong with that), and she felt she couldn't leave her mother because her father would hurt the mother . . . and she felt she was "protecting" her mother from that by letting her father rape her nightly. Eventually I walked to Student Psychological Health with her, holding her hand and thinking "This has got to look weird, but I am past caring about that and this child needs SOMEONE to give a rat's ass about her and show it." I knew they normally had staff available for an emergency appointment and I asked for one when we got there and told the therapist why I was concerned, then asked my student if I should stay for the appointment. She said "No, it's okay" in a very checked out way, and I'm no therapist, so I left. I'm still angry at both parents, but enough about that.

My blue state university had seen EVERYTHING, and they just "happened" to have an extra dorm room and a fund that would pay her tuition, room, board, and books from that night on. And that was the end of her ordeal, but the beginning of healing. She dropped out of classes, which made sense--she was just out to lunch--but eventually finished my class. Last time I saw her she had gotten it together enough to become an intern at the university med school, which once would have seemed impossible to me. She was really excited to see me and my son, who was in a stroller, and she had once been unable to express any emotional at ALL.

I can't tell you how grateful I was that some alum gave the university a fund to help students in her situation. I think it saved her life.

I've seen what can happen to a child abuse victim. I don't really want to hear about how what Josh did wasn't a big deal. It probably wasn't, compared to what my ex-student went through, but from the beginning I've thought "He's got a daughter and another on the way. As it stands, there is just NOTHING acceptable about him living with them. NOTHING." I'm not in a position to do anything about that here, though, except to express my fury at his parents for minimizing what THEY ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AND CONTINUE. If their daughters and his daughters haven't been horrifically harmed, it's not because of Jim Bob and Michelle.

You're talking about Carolyn Layton and Annie Moore, right? The entire saga of the Moore family goes to show how anyone can get ensnared in a cult. It's not about being educated or uneducated, black or white, or even Christian or atheist, because People's Temple/Jonestown had a mix of all these. It's a matter of a group finding out what your weakness is and exploiting it. For the Moores, it was social justice, for the Duggars it was being biblical. Like the Moore sisters, it looks like the Duggars will defend their cult to the bitter end. :(

What was I thinking? I had some ginger beer, and if I hadn't drunk it all up I could mix it with some gin, watch Megyn, and have a jin-jinger-ron. Instead I'll just have to stick to straight gin.

Actually, I don't think I'll watch; I can't bear it. I can read about what happens and am grateful to everyone who explains what happens, but . . . I don't have what it would take to watch. I'm not an incest victim, but still . . .

These Duggar girls seem to be in pretty good psychological shape, considering, but when I think about this whole mess I remember a day long ago when I'd asked a student into my office to ask if everything was okay, because she was behaving really bizarrely, talking at random, and unable to answer questions coherently. Her papers were a kind of word salad. I taught at a big college but had small classes, and she was both worrisome and a distraction to other students, who had started to focus on her and what weird thing she was going to say next rather than on the subject matter.

I had been a student when people were taking LSD and smoking dope and God knows what all else before going to class, so for me to think a student was acting truly, truly bizarre was unusual. In my office it was hard to make sense of what she was saying for a long time, but eventually I began to realize that she was living at home (nothing wrong with that), and she felt she couldn't leave her mother because her father would hurt the mother . . . and she felt she was "protecting" her mother from that by letting her father rape her nightly. Eventually I walked to Student Psychological Health with her, holding her hand and thinking "This has got to look weird, but I am past caring about that and this child needs SOMEONE to give a rat's ass about her and show it." I knew they normally had staff available for an emergency appointment and I asked for one when we got there and told the therapist why I was concerned, then asked my student if I should stay for the appointment. She said "No, it's okay" in a very checked out way, and I'm no therapist, so I left. I'm still angry at both parents, but enough about that.

My blue state university had seen EVERYTHING, and they just "happened" to have an extra dorm room and a fund that would pay her tuition, room, board, and books from that night on. And that was the end of her ordeal, but the beginning of healing. She dropped out of classes, which made sense--she was just out to lunch--but eventually finished my class. Last time I saw her she had gotten it together enough to become an intern at the university med school, which once would have seemed impossible to me. She was really excited to see me and my son, who was in a stroller, and she had once been unable to express any emotional at ALL.

I can't tell you how grateful I was that some alum gave the university a fund to help students in her situation. I think it saved her life.

I've seen what can happen to a child abuse victim. I don't really want to hear about how what Josh did wasn't a big deal. It probably wasn't, compared to what my ex-student went through, but from the beginning I've thought "He's got a daughter and another on the way. As it stands, there is just NOTHING acceptable about him living with them. NOTHING." I'm not in a position to do anything about that here, though, except to express my fury at his parents for minimizing what THEY ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AND CONTINUE. If their daughters and his daughters haven't been horrifically harmed, it's not because of Jim Bob and Michelle.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Bless you. It is a sad and sorry commentary on life now that doing the right thing is so uncommon that it moves us to tears to hear of someone giving a damn about a child and helping. Since that girls parents never said 'Thank you', to you for rescuing their daughter, I want to do it. :worship:

Ok this just creeped me out. Michelle Duggar feeling up Johannah and pulling up her skirt.

Ok this just creeped me out. Michelle Duggar feeling up Johannah and pulling up her skirt.

The title is "Duggar Discipline Outtakes", and yet I saw zero discipline going on there. That was hard to watch! Also, why not just put shorts on the little girls under their skirts? That's what all of my cousins do for their children... :pink-shock:

I agree. I think they should have redacted the addresses as well. Even if they legally didn't have to redact them, it really falls into "moral obligation" (imo at least), to save some semblance of privacy.

And if the people who released/redacted the records were christian, they would have had that moral compass and understood that :roll: :angry-banghead:

I just want to clarify something - this commonly-quoted "1 in 4" statistic refers to a lifetime prevalence of sexual assualt/threat OR rape/battery, and it is contested - sometimes stated as 1 in 5, or 1 in 6, depending on your source. I am not a rape apologist (gawd, no), I just want to point this out because it is mis-used often, and people like Boob use it to "normalize" sexual misconduct. No, JB, 1 in 4 female children HAVE NOT BEEN FONDLED BY THEIR SIGNIFICANTLY OLDER BROTHERS WHILE SLEEPING (which is probably what this grossly ignorant dim bulb thinks when he says it's a "common problem"). Maybe in his cult getting molested by your brother is just another Tuesday, but not in the rest of the country. And, just because sexual abuse happens to an unfortunately large percentage of the population (male and female), doesn't make it right. So does genital mutilation, in certain countries - is THAT okay, too??

I also am of the thought that those idiots, who consider ANY sexual expression outside the confines of their limited version of marriage a "sin against gawd," would probably put both violent rape AND the consensual experimental early childhood exploration I did with my 2 years younger brother and same aged neighbor (aka we hid in the bushes and looked at each other naked, and one time this neighbor and I pretended he was a doctor and I was "having a baby") on the same level. Like, both the rapist and my 6 year old self would need to ask for the same forgiveness.

In other news, as a woman, an adult rape survivor, and a human being with normative emotional and cognitive function, JB and Of JB can go fuck themselves.

My husband just had an idea.

TLC should do a show where they interview the camera crew and then show outtakes where the crew says they saw something off or not quite right.

That would get TLC a few more dollars from their filming before they have to cut this show loose.

Of course TLC would have to claim they were like a documentary wildlife photographer and didn't feel right to intervene at.the time.

TLC should do a show where they interview the camera crew and then show outtakes where the crew says they saw something off or not quite right.

That would get TLC a few more dollars from their filming before they have to cut this show loose.

Of course TLC would have to claim they were like a documentary wildlife photographer and didn't feel right to intervene at.the time.

I'd watch that AND buy two of something from each advertiser on that show!

Disclaimer: Don't be ridiculous, if some Cruise line or car company advertised, no way in imaginary hell would I do that, but yanno...grocery store, toilet paper etc :cracking-up:

If I was a betting woman, I would bet the crew had to sign confidentiality agreements. Not the molestation per se but because of all the other fucked up things they may have been privy to (corporal punishment, etc.).

If I was a betting woman, I would bet the crew had to sign confidentiality agreements. Not the molestation per se but because of all the other fucked up things they may have been privy to (corporal punishment, etc.).

The main filmers of the show are in TIGHT with the Duggars. Remember the episode where Soundman Jim brought his daughter to meet them because the Duggars are so awesome?

Archived