IGNORED

The Duggars' Megyn Kelly Lie-a-Thon Shit Show- Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most appropriate title for this thread EVER.

I don't know if you or anyone here has read Lawrence Wright's excellent book Going Clear which is about Scientology, but it explains the cult mentality so well. One of the best accounts is that of Academy Award winning director Paul Haggis, who got into Scientology in his early 20s. When he finally got out several years ago, he explained how it was when you're so invested in a belief system that you feel it's in your best interest to avoid anything negative online or elsewhere. That's reinforced by those in charge, of course, but eventually it's just second nature. He didn't look at anything on the internet that was critical of his "faith"! This is a very intelligent man, but it's also a man whose wife was a Scientologist, their kids were born into it and they surrounded themselves with friends and acquaintances that were all invested emotionally and financially (big time). They knew the program and how people were absolutely cut out of their lives if they became critical or broke away. They had it happen in their own family.

I say this because I think this is how it is for the kids and the fear of anything upsetting their world as they know it must be terribly unsettling for so many reasons, one of which might be the dissolution of their family unit which is all they really know because their parents have isolated them ON PURPOSE. Then there's their fundie community where they're celebrities.... I'll bet they learned long ago to self-police, like most cult members. Hell, they're so easily manipulated at this point they'll act as apologists for their brother who molested not only them but their five year old sister. This is why TLC needs to cut ties immediately rather than continuing to be complicit in their exploitation. We all know their father won't stop.

Bringing this over from the last thread - I completely agree. These aren't kids who have the world at their fingertips - they're children who were taught that the world is coming for them, and their only hope is to keep sweet and follow everything their parents teach them to a "T" (tee?). It's not easy for people this indoctrinated to suddenly see the light and realize everything they've been taught is a lie.

There's a reason that most reasonable people don't blame those born into a cult for believing what the cult tells them, with perhaps a few exceptions.

Thank you for the book recommendation! I'm going to look it up. :)

I read what I could last night and watched the interview today off of youtube and I can not believe how they just skirted the girls and kissed josh's ass. He's a child molester in the first degree. They should have taken him to the cops. Jb and dq both need to have some sort of slap of reality and both need to be charged with allowing this crap to go on under their roof. I have seen stuff like this happen before and get swept under the rug because Jesus saves all but karma (which they don't believe in anyways) will slap the shit out of the when they stand out side those pearly gates and they get banished to hell.

Megyn Kelly is showing new parts of the interview NOW on the Kelly File right now, we never saw and JB and Michelle are quoting the Bible now and talking about the release. They are talking all about forgiveness.

So many excuses, so little time.

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243

Happy Atheist. How can I thank you for this recap? A billion dollars? A bottle of homemade dandelion wine? My firstborn cat? There is no way I could watch it. Thank you for being so strong.

Why take a witness to the AR State police station (which btw in 2003 was the troop L trailer off the side of I-540. IT WASN'T HQ for anything but Troop L- it wasn't even a real station). But if you planned to turn your son in you don't take a witness to it just so the parents can prove josh told everything. That entire story makes no logical sense to me even in duggarville.

And i love how Mich complains people are slandering them by making up lies about them and twisting things. Oh you mean sort of like how you, Michelle, make up stuff about gays and transgenders being pedophiles and molesters?

Hypocritical Liars.

And they aren't even smart enough to do it well.

Cheeses, get your lies straight. It infuriates me when people can't lie well but insist on still lying.

In part 1, someone commented about if they had a PR advisor. They did - this was posted in some other threads. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26215&p=961443&hilit=chad+gallagher#p961374

His name is Chad Gallagher (legacyincorporated.com/our-principal/), he is Mike Huckabee's PR guy. IMO having worked in PR for the past 15+ years, last night's interview was the very definition of "PR disaster." I'm sure Gallagher knew that this was an uphill battle, but honestly, he should have realized that no amount of coaching could fix their level of delusion. He was REALLY dumb to let them go on the air. I mean, I'm happy that they did because they were exposed even further, but professionally that was a terrible move on his part.

Megyn Kelly is showing new parts of the interview NOW on the Kelly File right now, we never saw and JB and Michelle are quoting the Bible now and talking about the release. They are talking all about forgiveness.

Yes, AFAIK the interview with Jessa and Jill is still scheduled for tomorrow night (Friday), but Megyn seems to be devoting tonight's show to scenes not shown last night and continuing to hash this out.

Michelle in new Kelly File footage:

"slanderous and cruel to the victims"

"if you deal with conflict in the right way it can strengthen relationships"

And now Megyn Kelly's going to talk about the reaction.

I have been reading since the story broke and decided to join. I am an adult survivor of child sexual abuse and a professional counselor. Even a Christian Counselor...and this tile could not be more right on. I am horrified that they will parade out the adult victims. And I hate that word. You are survivors Jill and Jessa. You are victims if you choose to be manipulated any more by this family. Jesus has nothing to do with what happened at the Duggar home to these kids.

I hate how it is spinning. Only on Fox news could Jim Bob, Michelle and Josh be treated as victims of a liberal agenda.

Thanks for the heads up (I think :oops: )! She's showing clips of the mainstream new's reaction to the interview now, and proceeding to mock them. Man, I can't stand her. "The latest round in the sexual culture wars." <-- yeah, okay. ugh.

Happy Atheist. How can I thank you for this recap? A billion dollars? A bottle of homemade dandelion wine? My firstborn cat? There is no way I could watch it. Thank you for being so strong.

I didn't actually watch the interview. Buzzard took that bullet. I just read the thread.

OMG them bitching about right/left divides over this and Dunham, ignoring that they're the ones who bring it up regularly.

Now Megyn Kelly is bringing up Lena Dunham.

And right before that, when she asked about why it always has to be a "red vs blue" thing... no one she quoted made it a red vs. blue thing. That was all Megyn. UGH. :angry-banghead:

Bringing this over from the last thread - I completely agree. These aren't kids who have the world at their fingertips - they're children who were taught that the world is coming for them, and their only hope is to keep sweet and follow everything their parents teach them to a "T" (tee?). It's not easy for people this indoctrinated to suddenly see the light and realize everything they've been taught is a lie.

There's a reason that most reasonable people don't blame those born into a cult for believing what the cult tells them, with perhaps a few exceptions.

I don't blame them as children but I blame them as adults who have had more exposure than you are giving them credit for.

They use slang even on the tv show. jill calls derrick Babe. They are aware of fashion now. This is not cult speak. They have you fooled into thinking they are these niave little warped childwomen.

Sorry but they aren't.

Married at the ages of 22/24 your supposed brainwashing starts to become a convenient crutch when you clearly are more wordly than you let on.

At least this guy is open about finding the Duggars' answers "troubling"

I went to bed last night and I get back this evening to find almost twenty extra pages. Christ.

Anyhow, this interview was horrific. And like many others, I'm really pissed off at Jill and Jessa. Jessa already has a bad rep for being a stuck up, snot nosed, arrogant, little brat. In the five seconds or so that we saw her in the preview for tomorrow night, she does nothing but reaffirm all of those notions.

I know these girls have been brainwashed. I realized they are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. I understand that their pathetic excuses for parents are using this whole thing as proof that the world outside of their cult really is as bad as they said it was and that no one outside of ATI/IBLP/Gothard/etc can be trusted. I get all that. But it's still really difficult for me to not be seething with rage at them. Crying about how "we're victims; they can't do this to us" and blaming everyone but the ones who deserve the blame? Saying the molestation wasn't all that bad and Josh has been forgiven so we need to get over it but then crying bc the evil liberal media found out about it? Shut up and go to hell. But I'm sure they're already living their own private hell.

Given all that, I still just don't get how they can be more incensed about the release of these reports than they are about the reason these reports exist. Josh molesting them is okay. JB and J'chelle covering it up for years and doing everything to keep it hidden is okay as well. But the media finding out about it? No. That's the real outrage. That's the real problem here.

Now I know JB is a lying liar who lies, but if what he said about Josh coming to him, crying, about what he had done on several different occasions is actually true, then I really do feel sorry for Josh. He recognized he had a problem and sought help for it, but was turned away bc mommy and daddy were too busy making another precious blessing to bother caring about his needs. He needed to get help and their pathetic answer was to pray. I almost wonder if their cover up was some vain attempt to make up for the fact that they ignored the problem when first presented to them. They protected Josh then bc they didn't protect him earlier by giving him the help he so desperately needed. That certainly doesn't justify what they did at all, but I do wonder if that had anything to do with their decision making.

Bruce Feiler, a religious author, just called the Duggars approach bordering on revolting.

Holy Moly. They have fooled no one.

I should have known to tune in tonight to see if they said anything new. I'll have to look out tomorrow for any YT links with the new footage.

You're welcome! It's been made into an excellent documentary that was shown on HBO but might be available elsewhere now. I'd still recommend the book first. It's fascinating to read what people who were in deeply, including high ranking church members, say about how it was inside the church and the price people were willing to pay (financially and otherwise) to be a part of it all. There are obvious differences, of course, but many similarities. Abuse is rife.

I just wanted to add that having said that about the kids, there is absolutely no excuse for the parents. NONE. They're despicable people to continue having children and indoctrinating them into this sick, sick life of isolation, repression, shame and endless exploitation.

I watched last night's interview, and I haven't had time to read the 50+ pages in the first part of this topic so reading other people's responses might change my opinion, but I thought Megyn Kelly was reasonably tough in her questioning. She was tougher than I expected. Could she have been tougher? Absolutely! But she didn't just lob softball questions at them either. She sounds pretty ticked off at JB&M's mishandling of all this right now.

It sounded like they were well-coached (i.e. lawyered up) before last night's interview. JB used the term "mandatory reporter" several times and tried to make it clear he was not one.

Michelle's crocodile tears were very fake. Her voice cracked, but there were no tears welling up in her eyes, much less running down her cheeks.

I've held therapy for lots of families and the lack of insight and empathy, failure to protect the girls is just horrifying from a professional perspective. With this lack of parental support a victim would have a very hard time recovering.

Archived