IGNORED

The Duggars' Megyn Kelly Lie-a-Thon Shit Show- Part 2

happy atheist

I agree with those who say that this interview with Jill and Jessa tonite will likely do a great disservice by minimizing victims' reactions to sexual assault/molestation.

I was never molested as a child,but sexually assaulted as an adult in a work environment. It took days for me as a 34 year old to find the courage to admit what happened as I was afraid of the ramifications.

To see Jessa smirk when asked if she felt like a victim in that clip made me want to 1) vomit and 2) slap the snot outta her!!

As a victim of adult sexual assault and the parent of a child who was molested by a family member, I want to slap the snot out of every damn one of the family trying to support Joshie

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thought of watching victims of incest be interviewed tonight is making me physically ill... Nauseous, kind-of creeped out, a little tense... I didn't think it would bother me until it just hit me. Those poor girls were so young and impressionable that they believed everything their pitiful parents told them about loving and forgiving their pervy brother. He wasn't a little boy at the time. He was 14 and knew what he was doing because he did it multiple times after his first admission. 14 year olds have been tried as adults for murder when they knew what they were doing was wrong. Those poor girls are so emotionally stunted from their sheltered upbringing and constant brainwashing that they don't know what they don't know.

I'll record it but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it. You just can't unlearn something once you hear it. Hearing Jill sob the other night broke my heart. They need help and they will probably never get it.

Oh yeah, I've been dreading that since getting up. You are a horrible, bad, no good person if you don't love our Joshie.

Don't forget you must be a blue state liberal too.

Oh yeah, I've been dreading that since getting up. You are a horrible, bad, no good person if you don't love our Joshie.

The sad thing is, if they pulled their heads out of their ass, they would see the true goodness in people. The people that this family judge so damn harshly (athiests, LBGT community, pro-choicers), are the ones that are the most concerned with their well-being.

Don't forget you must be a blue state liberal too.

Shhh..I'm in red state. :shhh:

I seem to fixate on a different aspect of the story everyday. This morning I woke up feeling aggravated by Jill and Jessa and I figured out it was because of the air of entitlement they give off, "We shouldn't be punished..." meaning don't take away our show and our magazine covers. I don't think these girls have any idea of how little they are entitled to and how fantastically lucky they have been.

Most celebrities in America are famous for some kind of skill: writing, acting, sports, music, inventing, business and/or for being exceptionally smart and/or exceptionally beautiful. The Duggar girls are none of these things. They are vapid, dull, and undereducated. They have no special skills, they are just average or under average in every aspect of their lives (well, ok, Jessa is a bit prettier than average.) Yet look at how much attention, money, and gifts have been showered on them in the past 18 months. It boggles the mind.

From the EW article:

“Josh was a boy, a young boy in puberty and a little too curious about girls,†Jessa Seewald, 22, told Kelly. “And that got him into some trouble. And he made some bad choices, but, really, the extent of it was mild – inappropriate touching on fully clothed victims, most of it while [the] girls were sleeping.† 

So this is now the party line: It was over the clothes, everyone was asleep and Josh was a young boy. They can repeat this crap until they are blue in the face but I think the truth has already gotten out and it is too late for this version to stick. This stinks a bit of PR-- just keep repeating the party line and eventually that will be taken for the gospel truth. Sometimes this tactic actually works in politics and FOX News is a master at doing it.

Curious boys aren't curious about their sisters... and they especially aren't curious about FIVE YEAR OLDS!

I wished someone would ask the Duggars what kind of show they would envision going forward.

I love to hear JB and M describe that show.

I would also like to hear Jill and Jessa explain what kind of spin off show that they envision.

WHY DOES ANYONE THINK ANY PART OF THIS FAMILY COULD CARRY A TV SHOW? WHAT THE HELL WOULD THEY DO- THESE GIRLS ARE GOING TO BE TAKING CARE OF INFANTS AND DOING HOUSEWORK. WHY IS THAT ENTERTAINING??????

Orthodontics appt are not entertaining. Accounting work is not adventure filled. Ben doesn't work. If I wanted to watch a 20 yo unemployed dad do nothing, I could walk the streets of most large towns.

Sorry kiddos, your parents sold you a false future. People do not pay you gobs of money or put you on TV because your parents had a large family...or because you were abused by your brother. Life is hard, get in line.

I wished someone would ask the Duggars what kind of show they would envision going forward.

I would also like to hear Jill and Jessa explain what kind of spin off show that they envision.

WHY DOES ANYONE THINK ANY PART OF THIS FAMILY COULD CARRY A TV SHOW? WHAT THE HELL WOULD THEY DO- THESE GIRLS ARE GOING TO BE TAKING CARE OF INFANTS AND DOING HOUSEWORK. WHY IS THAT ENTERTAINING??????

Orthodontics appt are not entertaining. Accounting work is not adventure filled. Ben doesn't work. If I wanted to watch a 20 yo unemployed dad do nothing, I could walk the streets of most large towns.

Sorry kiddos, your parents sold you a false future. People do not pay you gobs of money or put you on TV because your parents had a large family...or because you were abused by your brother. Life is hard, get in line.

Sassy, didn't you know? Finding and/or making bible verse memes to post on your social media, is totally riveting tv. So is staying at home with a baby, while your husband may or may not be working at Walmart. Throw in some missionary mumbo-jumbo, and some adoption mumbo-jumbo, and you have a show.

New on TLC this fall.

Molesting 5 Kids and Counting.

:cracking-up:

I have to pick up my hub's at the airport at 7PM- 40 miles away and over some mountains...and into the biggest city in Northern CA- on a Friday night. Have pity on me.

But it's so pretty all lit up... and the slow speed will help you have the time to see more.

Sassy, didn't you know? Finding and/or making bible verse memes to post on your social media, is totally riveting tv. So is staying at home with a baby, while your husband may or may not be working at Walmart. Throw in some missionary mumbo-jumbo, and some adoption mumbo-jumbo, and you have a show.

You mean a MINISTRY.

I've read both threads about the interviews and I don't think this was mentioned (if so, forgive me-lurker for years but came out after this broke-I've been a child advocate in my career for years and this burns me up!)

Anyway, in a clip from tonight's interview Jessa says, "He is not at child molester, he is not a pedophile. I can say this because I'm his victim". :angry-banghead: Hmmm...then what exactly is she a victim of (in her eyes)? How can she say he isn't these things but yet she became his victim? Am I the only person who scratched my head at her statement?

I've read both threads about the interviews and I don't think this was mentioned (if so, forgive me-lurker for years but came out after this broke-I've been a child advocate in my career for years and this burns me up!)

Anyway, in a clip from tonight's interview Jessa says, "He is not at child molester, he is not a pedophile. I can say this because I'm his victim". :angry-banghead: Hmmm...then what exactly is she a victim of (in her eyes)? How can she say he isn't these things but yet she became his victim? Am I the only person who scratched my head at her statement?

She's just the victim of a naughty little boy.

Like when my son is the victim of his older sister's teasing. Same sort of thing it appears.

AAHHH! Cannot lurk a minute longer! :angry-banghead:

Facts and Anecdotes from...

50 yo Southerner, mom, psych background. Cult and Sex abuse survivor

Duggars did not do enough, early enough, or with actual therapist...

HowEver! From my experiences as a survivor, witness, and in working with various psych/social/childcare jobs and roles.

The Duggars did do at least average for families facing these events/issues and probably a little better than average. If that doesn't make you want to scream nothing will.

JB ( :music-tool: ) Duggar was right about..

This stuff is very very common. - 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys. For every 20 people you know four of them were victimized. They are told they are liars, or they asked for it, and are sometimes ignored or thrown out of the house. In an insular community like this it even more common since they eschew outsiders and distrust the government. Their sick view of sexuality attracts molesters and creates the wrong kind of mindset and may even create new abusers.

Juvenile programs are training grounds for criminals and abusers.- Most programs are heavily punishment oriented over rehabilitation (gotta be tough on crime!) Many programs for youth are rampant with abusers, usually fellow youths but also staff. It's worse in privatized settings and in poorer states (lack of funding and oversight)

--------------------------Not an apologist for the Duggars! ----------------------

One public Gothard ATI tract recounts a situation almost identical to the Duggars. Those folks did go the DHS and reported that they were helped immensely. That didn't keep their son from blaming his behavior in part on immodesty in the home. SO they did have an example of people in ATI/Gothard who did go to DHS and have positive outcomes.

Repost from someone on an earlier thread "The Duggars: How Fundamentalism's Teachings on Sexuality Create Predatory Behavior" by Diary of and Autodidact

The girls have been told that they have no choice but to be defrauders and the boys that they have no choice but to be lustful potential rapist. How much of the idea to fondle his sisters was his own idea and how much, if any, was implanted by their lifestyle?

Isn't it odd with all this concern over sexual misbehavior that when it does happen the parents and family minimizes it?

Please don't say 'drink the kool-aid -In 1978 a progressive and quite mad cult leader Jim Jones instructed his mainly American followers in Jonestown Guayana to mix poison in with Kool -Aid. They first gave it to their children, and then drank it themselves. It left 900 dead- 300 of them children. This is where the saying 'drink the kool aid' comes from. As bad as these cults are and as bad as sexual abuse is it is not death.

Try to remember that where there is life there is hope and I hope that at least some of these kids run off into the wild crazy real world and that when they do it doesn't eat them alive.

But it's so pretty all lit up... and the slow speed will help you have the time to see more.

Foxnews channel 214 on XM radio.

I think it's scary that Jill and Jessa are admitting what Josh did was wrong but saying that it's not that big of deal. A lot of thumpers defend them and will go along with anything they do or say. So if a child of a thumper or a thumper is being abused and listen to Jessa and Jill say it's not that big of deal we forgave him and moved on, a thumper might actually take that advice if they're being abused.

Please don't say 'drink the kool-aid -In 1978 a progressive and quite mad cult leader Jim Jones instructed his mainly American followers in Jonestown Guayana to mix poison in with Kool -Aid. They first gave it to their children, and then drank it themselves. It left 900 dead- 300 of them children. This is where the saying 'drink the kool aid' comes from. As bad as these cults are and as bad as sexual abuse is it is not death.

Everyone is aware that the phrase originates from Jonestown... It's become a common saying and is not in any way particular to this board.

EDIT: And it's used to refer to buying into beliefs, not death. Regardless of where it originated, that is not how the saying is used in popular culture today.

Foxnews channel 214 on XM radio.

Thanks, I have that channel and XM.

I actually tried to guilt the hubs into taking uber

As someone who graduated in 2011 and therefore part of the entitled generation, let me tell you my story of college and paying for it... And you'll see why I don't think the Duggar kids would be able to pay for college or get loans for it very easily.

My parents filled out a FAFSA for me, willingly. With their combined income of $60,000 and five kids in the house, the government was willing to offer me $1,000 per year. I chose an in-state college where tuition for one semester was about $1800 (including facility fees, but not including room, board, books, or anything extra needed). I was able to live at home because the college was in my city. I was also offered a full-ride scholarship through the state. This was the ONLY scholarship I was offered in all 9 schools I applied to (and was accepted to). I had a 4.4 unweighted GPA, was 18th in my class of 457 students. I had a 34 ACT, a 1400 SAT, 400 hours of community service, played two sports, had a part-time job for two years, an IB diploma, and AP credits. I came into college with over a year of my undergrad under my belt--38 credit hours.

After a year of school, the state decided to change the scholarship I was given. ALL students in the state who had been given the same free ride were now only going to receive 75% of the expenses. This year, I filed as an independent and was able to jump through MANY hoops to finally fill out the FAFSA for myself. Making minimum wage and working 40 hours a week (I worked four jobs through college and took a full course load), I was offered $5,000 a year in loans. I worked no less than 40 hours a week while taking classes and worked 60-65 a week in the summer, and I still came out of college $8000 in debt (which is NEGLIGIBLE, considering what most come out with)

I'm pretty close to positive that with the Duggars' education background and financial status, they wouldn't be able to get much help paying for college, if any. The system is VERY messed up, and I worked my tail off for YEARS to try and get into college, and then to try to get out of it without debt, and I still wasn't able to accomplish that.

No, I was also :wtf:

I could be wrong, but I think the logic is probably this: If they say they are victims, that means they'll get to tell everyone else what to think and how to feel about the scandal, which becomes an opportunity to minimize/deny/protect Josh.

My response would be: Yes, they are victims because a crime was perpetrated against them, but that stands whether they admit it or not. Acknowledging/not acknowledging that has no bearing that other people can and will make up their own minds and use their own judgement about what you are saying.

I'm hoping they prove me wrong, but I'm not holding out hope they will.

These girls are idiots. Also the waffling about "we didn't have a choice but this is our choice and we chose..."

They can't formulate a coherent thought. Maybe the indoctrination didn't take so they can't keep the crap Jim Bob and Mich fed them.

Everyone is aware that the phrase originates from Jonestown... It's become a common saying and is not in any way particular to this board.

EDIT: And it's used to refer to buying into beliefs, not dea

th. Regardless of where it originated, that is not how the saying is used in popular culture today.

Side note: jonestown wasn't Kool Aid. It was Flavor aid.

Megyn gave the number for the national child abuse hotline (1-800-4-A-CHILD) and urged anyone who is a victim or knows of abuse to call and get help or report their suspicions. If anything good comes out of all this, awareness of how widespread CSA is, victims/survivors getting help, and abusers being prevented from harming anyone else will be the most important.

I felt like Fox News showed that number only because It Was The Right Thing To Do. Anyone who had just watched the interview would have seen JB say that juvenile programs don't have a high rate of success, so why would someone in a similar situation even bother to make the phone call? And anyone with a similar home environment isn't going to have a TV in their home, so they wouldn't even know such help exists.

Anyone remember The United States of Tara on Showtime? As a young child, Tara was molested by an older half brother who had come to live with them. In order to protect Tara from further abuse, the mom put her and her younger sister in foster care until mom and dad (half brother's father) could deal with the (step)son. But hey, that's just TV, and everyone knows that stuff on TV never happens in real life.

Archived