IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez (Jill and Jessa’s wedding planner)

JillyO

No need to get defensive about prayer; the tone in JillyO's post can easily be taken to mean that Sierra may be outwardly praying but will decide on the trip conscientiously, and only if it will directly benefit her--false prayer.

No need to get defensive about my addressing of Jilly O's comment. It was clear snark (as noted by the quotes around "praying about" immediately followed by "of course they are." Again, my point was that Sierra's praying is hardly snark worthy, since of course she would pray, being a Christian.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quotation marks around "praying about" are actually just that - a sign to indicate that I was directly quoting her. Why do I find it snarkworthy? Because I would like these people to actually show some agency some time, and make decisions based on facts (were do they WANT to live? does her husband have a job anywhere? if not, where is he more likely to find one? would it help them to live closer to their families? etc.). Also because "praying about something" is such fundie-speak that it annoys the crap out of me. These beople can't even buy themselves a frozen yogurt without praying about it first. I think it's ridiculous and shows what mindless sheep they are.

Just to clarify: I don't think it's wrong to pray about big life decisions (which a move would be) if that as what you want to do, as a Christian. But that is just on top of everything else. You still need to make up your own mind, weigh the pros and cons, think about the consequences. I don't know a single Christian who refuses to actually make educated decisions in the name of praying about them instead.

To answer your other question: Well, when someone asked her if they were moving back to Carthage, she answered "Just praying about opportunities here! Prayers are appreciated!" So I guess she IS hinting. But maybe the fact that she's already looking for houses means she's more than just hinting. I don't know. Could mean she realizes the TLC gravy train has ended, or at least God has laid it on her heart not to be associated with them any more. Maybe her husband lost his job (IIRC, he wasn't great at holding them down long-term). Maybe she just realizes she'll need her family's support more than ever once the new baby arrives and she'll have five under six.

"Praying about" is definitely something snarkable. I am a Christian and know many other Christians that love to use that expression to in order to gain acceptance or when they want to skirt around something.

We're praying about Jimmy bullying others at school. (why aren't you punishing him?)

I'm praying about quitting smoking. (meaning you're too unmotivated to quit)

The list goes on and on.

"Praying about" is definitely something snarkable. I am a Christian and know many other Christians that love to use that expression to in order to gain acceptance or when they want to skirt around something.

We're praying about Jimmy bullying others at school. (why aren't you punishing him?)

The list goes on and on.

Yep...I hate that phrase so much and you illustrated one of the reasons. Sometimes "praying about" something really just isn't enough. People should get off their ass and do something instead.

She's really just 25?! :shock:

I would have guessed that she was at least 10 years older than that, but it might explain some of her over-reactions and behaviour more appropriate for a teen age girl.

Yep...I hate that phrase so much and you illustrated one of the reasons. Sometimes "praying about" something really just isn't enough. People should get off their ass and do something instead.

Pray to God but row to the shore. :D

Pray to God but row to the shore. :D

Or, to quote Jeannette Walls' grandmother, "you can pray, but you've gotta push AND pray" (the scenario was a car that wouldn't start).

The list goes on and on.

I agree completely. Actual prayer itself (while not my cup of tea) isn't the part that's snarkable, it's sanctimoniously going around blabbing about it that comes off as attention-seeking, disingenuous and, in my opinion, totally snark-worthy.

It's like those people who go around wearing only yoga pants and preaching the benefits while puffing on a cigarette and never actually doing yoga. If her relationship with God is so personal and great and she's "praying about" a move, that's great for her. Not only does no one else care (even the people politely nodding when she's yapping about it), she just seems fake.

And now I'm probably spending way too much time complaining about someone I don't even know and will never meet on the internet, but my roommate is playing a rerun of Anna and Josh's gender reveal and Sierra's crazy eyes are reminding me how irrationally annoyed I am by her.

No need to get defensive about my addressing of Jilly O's comment. It was clear snark (as noted by the quotes around "praying about" immediately followed by "of course they are." Again, my point was that Sierra's praying is hardly snark worthy, since of course she would pray, being a Christian.

You think I'm defensive about prayer or not-prayer? In fact, the comments after mine are making similar points! It is a good discussion. I'm not defending anything.

She's really just 25?! :shock:

I would have guessed that she was at least 10 years older than that, but it might explain some of her over-reactions and behaviour more appropriate for a teen age girl.

Definitely agree with the bolded part. I'm only 3 years younger than her but she looks WAY older than me...minus the immature overreactions and poor planning skills.

I just spotted Sierra on the Holt's instagram. Here she is once again with one of the sons. She is really everywhere. She must be a "fundie social climber" right? She wasn't fundie a couple years ago. She used to wear tank tops and shorts. It makes me wonder what changed.

post-620-14452000397287_thumb.jpg

I just spotted Sierra on the Holt's instagram. Here she is once again with one of the sons. She is really everywhere. She must be a "fundie social climber" right? She wasn't fundie a couple years ago. She used to wear tank tops and shorts. It makes me wonder what changed.

It's not just that. She says when she first met her husband at 18 (so 7 years ago), she prayed for the first time in months. So she apprently wasn't even a much of a Christian at that point. And yet, they decided that they would "let God decide" how many children they'd have before they even got married (a mere eight months later). I wonder if Mark was a fundie and she fell in love with him and that's how she got sucked in? But why would a fundie date a barely-praying, Halloween-celebrating heathen? None of it makes sense! :pull-hair:

I hope that Sierra hasn't spent her planned TLC money she was hoping to get from future Duggar shows.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't trying to pitch an idea of Fundie Mega Party Planner to TLC.

I hope that Sierra hasn't spent her planned TLC money she was hoping to get from future Duggar shows.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't trying to pitch an idea of Fundie Mega Party Planner to TLC.

I would watch that! Haha

• 2 weeks later...
About the flamingos, everyone said they were painted blue, but on screen, to me, they looked gray.

Stupidest idea, waste of money, time and clogging the the landfills. Yes, they can be used again, but who has room to store 200 flamingos, 1/2 of them dipped in paint?

RIP Don Featherstone, the inventor the the pink flamingo. His authentic ones retail for $20-$30 a pair according to his NY Times obit today. $2,000 for that stunt?

RIP Don Featherstone, the inventor the the pink flamingo. His authentic ones retail for $20-$30 a pair according to his NY Times obit today. $2,000 for that stunt?

I also read that the inventor of the plastic flamingo had died and my first thought was if Sierra had sent flowers.

He probably saw the episode where she let the lost boys destroy his life's work, and didn't want to live in this world any more.

Okay, I don't know how I missed this for nine entire weeks, but Sierra is back on Instagram. It's a new account, unfortunately, so we won't be treated to all the lovely things she had uploaded on her old one, but at least it's public again. :dance:

Here's the link: https://instagram.com/sierrajodominguez/

She is wearing shorts in one of the pictures!!!

I think. I mean they look like shorts!

She is wearing shorts in one of the pictures!!!

I think. I mean they look like shorts!

The picture with the bag over the head? I think that's someone else.

The picture with the bag over the head? I think that's someone else.

Oh damn. Bad oversight on my part! :(

I haven't really followed this thread all that closely. So I didn't realize (or maybe I had forgotten) that she was pregnant with #5! I just saw her 4th of July family photo on Instagram.

Her kids are 4, 3, 2, 10 months, and still in utero. I just can't even imagine. I would go insane. I just have 1 child and some day I feel I can barely handle it.

Realistically...how many kids could she end up having? 15? 20? Yikes. I hope her husband has a high paying job.

That show would actually be interesting! Talking about how typical events would need to be altered to fit different brand of fundie? (Haha side note: my iPad wanted to correct "fundie" to "fun Die")

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived