IGNORED

GrandBates on the Way - Whitney is Pregnant

Boogalou

I'll start speculating...will Whitney give birth at home or at a hospital/birthing center? On the one hand, fundies seem to like home births. OTOH, I get the sense that Whitney's comfort is more of a priority to Zach than is usual.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I'm not meaning to argue with you, but statistically what you're saying isn't correct. Jayden and Aiden are still in the top ten. Brayden is sitting comfortably at 39, Ayden at 69, Kayden at 99, and Hayden at 109. That's A LOT of babies still getting -ayden names, and that's only going down the top 100 and not counting all the variant spellings. The trend probably reached its peak 4 or 5 years ago but it's nowhere near dead. Yet. :)

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

The new list should come out in a few days but it probably won't be that different.

I think they'll do a popular biblical name like Noah or Ethan, or a more 'country' sounding name like Colton or Grady. Or they could kill two birds with one stone and go for Ezra or Levi...

You're using 2012 numbers. 2012 what's the last year people were REALLY into the name. 2013 numbers will come out sometime between now and mid-June. And 2014 numbers won't be out until a year from then.

You can't base CURRENT tends on numbers from 2 years ago. I'm saying CURRENTLY the trend is out. It's done. It's over.

And, when it comes to name popularity, it's better to look at percentage rather than rank. The number one name now isn't like the number one name in the 1990s and earlier.

Whitney is two weeks, to the day, younger than my oldest granddaughter. At the time Whit is giving birth, my granddaughter will be a junior in college, active in several campus organizations (and officer/president of a few), still finding her way in life. She was home schooled, but never discouraged from any goals she wanted to set for her life. I really prefer her life to Whit's, maybe I'm biased.

Whitney wasn't raised like the Bates kids. Whitney CHOSE this life.

I saw that and immediately thought "Well, that's one less extremity whose digits they'll have to count when he's born." :lol:

Yup, we didn't have to count our boys toes when they were born because our ultrasound tech was able to get a shot of all 4 feet at the same time! It was awesome and she was pretty proud.

As for finding out the sex, we found out at my 17 week appointment. Though the doc said wait til the 20 week anatomy scan to be sure. I have a friend who found out at 13 weeks (I think that's partly bs though, and it's a 50/50 guess any way).

The name on her US pic is the Nancy Vick Center for Women. This is a small, private, christian prenatal clinic. I googled it and it is where Kelly goes. This clip says she got free care

hulu.com/watch/271402?from=fb_share

drvick.com/ob%20prenatal.html

I assume she is having a hospital birth that will cost money.

You're using 2012 numbers. 2012 what's the last year people were REALLY into the name. 2013 numbers will come out sometime between now and mid-June. And 2014 numbers won't be out until a year from then.

You can't base CURRENT tends on numbers from 2 years ago. I'm saying CURRENTLY the trend is out. It's done. It's over.

And, when it comes to name popularity, it's better to look at percentage rather than rank. The number one name now isn't like the number one name in the 1990s and earlier.

The numbers are from 2012, not 1992. 2012 in terms of baby names is still current. Aiden and Jayden are not going to disappear in the space of a couple of years, trust me. People have been saying the -ayden trend is dying for about ten years now, so I know where you're coming from, it's just not correct. The trend is still very much alive. Check out the 2013 numbers when they release them in a few days if you don't believe me. Or you can look up statistics and crunch the numbers yourself based on whatever percentage you want to. I guarantee you will find that the trend is far from dead.

The SSI index will show you both percentage and total numbers. In 2012 there were 16,013 Jaydens born. There were 14,779 Aidens, 8,451 Braydens and 3,825 Kaydens, and remember that the SSI does not combine alternate spellings.

Check out http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/pop.html and click on the first link 'The Top 7000 names of 2012' for the most common names with alternate spellings grouped together. It will give you a better idea of the enduring popularity of the -aydens.

Behindthename.com shows you how much a certain name rose or fell from one year to the next: http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2012 The most popular -ayden names fell only by 1-3 points. Some of the -aydens fell quite a bit, but some (including alternate spellings) rose by the same amount or more. I'd definitely agree that the -aydens are, overall, losing rather than gaining popularity, but if the trend is dying it's a slow, painful, drawn out death, and it hasn't happened yet.

Sorry for the novel. I kind of love names, if you couldn't tell. :)

The numbers are from 2012, not 1992. 2012 in terms of baby names is still current. Aiden and Jayden are not going to disappear in the space of a couple of years, trust me. People have been saying the -ayden trend is dying for about ten years now, so I know where you're coming from, it's just not correct. The trend is still very much alive. Check out the 2013 numbers when they release them in a few days if you don't believe me. Or you can look up statistics and crunch the numbers yourself based on whatever percentage you want to. I guarantee you will find that the trend is far from dead.

The SSI index will show you both percentage and total numbers. In 2012 there were 16,013 Jaydens born. There were 14,779 Aidens, 8,451 Braydens and 3,825 Kaydens, and remember that the SSI does not combine alternate spellings.

Check out http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/pop.html and click on the first link 'The Top 7000 names of 2012' for the most common names with alternate spellings grouped together. It will give you a better idea of the enduring popularity of the -aydens.

Behindthename.com shows you how much a certain name rose or fell from one year to the next: http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2012 The most popular -ayden names fell only by 1-3 points. Some of the -aydens fell quite a bit, but some (including alternate spellings) rose by the same amount or more. I'd definitely agree that the -aydens are, overall, losing rather than gaining popularity, but if the trend is dying it's a slow, painful, drawn out death, and it hasn't happened yet.

Sorry for the novel. I kind of love names, if you couldn't tell. :)

First, I said that it was 2012 data, not 1992. I don't have any idea where you got 1992. At no point did I use that number.

Second, I said that you have to pay attention to percentage of births, not the ranking. There were roughly 2010532 boys born in 2012. Of them, only 1% were named a variant of Jacob.

I also said that you have to understand that a popular name in this day and age isn't like a popular name in the 90s or earlier. Jacob ranked as the number one spelling for boys in 2012 with 0.94%. In 1990, Michael ranked number one spelling with 3.0351%. Aidan variants in 2012, which rank first according to Name Nerds, is equal percentage wise with the number 9 spelling from 1990; and you have to go to number 22 name spelling in 1990 to get the same percentage as the number one spelling for Jacob.

Furthermore, the Aidan names already peeked. If you look at the data over the last decade, it rose for a while and peaked in 2008. So, I stand by what I said when I said that the Aidan trend is over.

Plus, Aidan names got its popularity from people looking for "unique" names. The call for "unique" names has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased in the past year. It went from the majority of name posts being about "unique" names to the point where it's kind of a shock to see that. The trends now are for older names that have history but haven't been popular in the past few decades; or for names that are timeless, but underused.

First, I said that it was 2012 data, not 1992. I don't have any idea where you got 1992. At no point did I use that number.

Second, I said that you have to pay attention to percentage of births, not the ranking. There were roughly 2010532 boys born in 2012. Of them, only 1% were named a variant of Jacob.

I also said that you have to understand that a popular name in this day and age isn't like a popular name in the 90s or earlier. Jacob ranked as the number one spelling for boys in 2012 with 0.94%. In 1990, Michael ranked number one spelling with 3.0351%. Aidan variants in 2012, which rank first according to Name Nerds, is equal percentage wise with the number 9 spelling from 1990; and you have to go to number 22 name spelling in 1990 to get the same percentage as the number one spelling for Jacob.

Furthermore, the Aidan names already peeked. If you look at the data over the last decade, it rose for a while and peaked in 2008. So, I stand by what I said when I said that the Aidan trend is over.

Plus, Aidan names got its popularity from people looking for "unique" names. The call for "unique" names has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased in the past year. It went from the majority of name posts being about "unique" names to the point where it's kind of a shock to see that. The trends now are for older names that have history but haven't been popular in the past few decades; or for names that are timeless, but underused.

I know you didn't say 1992. I meant that 2012 data is still relevant to current name trends, unlike data from, say, 20 years ago. Sorry for the confusion.

The one and only thing I'm disputing is the assertion that the -ayden trend is, as you put it, dead or finished - not that it's peaked, or is losing steam, or that the most common names today amount to a smaller percentage than in previous decades. I agree with all of that, and none of it is relevant. I'm only showing you the numbers on the -ayden names. I didn't make them up and I personally could not care less whether people are still naming their kids Aiden and Jayden or not. The SSA* puts out the numbers every year. The numbers show that these names are still extremely popular. I don't really know what else to say. It's up to you whether you want to accept what the numbers say or not. I guarantee you, though, that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. ;)

*For some reason I kept typing SSI in my previous post. I think I was mashing up social security and social insurance (Canadian). It's SSA, not SSI. The SSA is a more reliable source than Yahoo Answers.

:dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse:

not a baby name thread. besides, y'all know they'll name the kid after an old-timey white supremacist, just like Ma and Pa Bates did.

Forrest springs to mind...

I see on the ultrasound that Whitney was born in 1993?

I feel old :( I'm only 10 years older than she is, but it's super weird to see that as the mom's birthdate on an ultrasound.

^Same here. I was also born in 1983 (10 years older than Whitney) and in my eyes my peers and I are STILL too damn young to be having children (even though most of them do at this point, most had their first pregnancies within only the past year-18 months). Different geographic and cultural expectations, I suppose. Here in heathen liberal western Canada, or at least in the circle I run in, a 20 year old having a child wouldn't be looked at as much different than a 16 year old high school student having one (your life is essentially ruined, how will you finish school, get a job, establish a career to afford raising a baby, etc.), even if said 20 year old was married (which would have been questioned in the first place. Married at 20? YOU'RE TOO DAMN YOUNG!). Raising a family here, or living here on your own with nothing to support but yourself and a cactus, is bloody expensive though. I am sure young families have a much easier time in Nowheresville, Tennessee. For Zach and Whitney's sake, I hope so.

I'll start speculating...will Whitney give birth at home or at a hospital/birthing center? On the one hand, fundies seem to like home births. OTOH, I get the sense that Whitney's comfort is more of a priority to Zach than is usual.

Kelly has had both homebirths and hospital births, depending on the risk of the pregnancy. When it's about health, Bates trust in doctors, not only in God.

:dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse: :dead-horse:

not a baby name thread. besides, y'all know they'll name the kid after an old-timey white supremacist, just like Ma and Pa Bates did.

Did you really come here just to say "Stop posting about baby names" and then... post about baby names? Just a tip, if you want to nag at people for getting off topic in a thread, you should probably contribute something that you perceive to be on topic instead of posting ten dead horse emoticons and then just continuing the off-topic discussion yourself. :lol:

I think it's hard to predict a lot of the time what people will names their kids. Sometimes they surprise you. I feel like Whitney would want something cute and just a little bit different, like maybe not in the top 20 but still in the top 200. But they could go super common like Jacob, or totally out there like, I don't know, Ignatius. Or biblical, or a family name... This is one of the reasons why I even follow fundies. Half the fun is seeing what they choose to name their kids.

Yup, we didn't have to count our boys toes when they were born because our ultrasound tech was able to get a shot of all 4 feet at the same time! It was awesome and she was pretty proud.

As for finding out the sex, we found out at my 17 week appointment. Though the doc said wait til the 20 week anatomy scan to be sure. I have a friend who found out at 13 weeks (I think that's partly bs though, and it's a 50/50 guess any way).

Women can now do the Materni T21 blood test at 10 weeks and find out the sex of the baby with 99% accuracy. I kind of wish they had the test when I was pregnant because I was one of those women who just had to know.

The Bates family isn't really on the cutting edge of... anything. I don't see them being deterred by a naming trend that is 24 months or so off its peak.

I think that like most fundies they'll do a homebirth since they have no money and presumably no health insurance. Maybe Jill could deliver the baby. (And hey TLC, it would make an interesting episode (for once) if you send Jill to Zambia to deliver Esther's baby, too.)

^Same here. I was also born in 1983 (10 years older than Whitney) and in my eyes my peers and I are STILL too damn young to be having children (even though most of them do at this point, most had their first pregnancies within only the past year-18 months). Different geographic and cultural expectations, I suppose. Here in heathen liberal western Canada, or at least in the circle I run in, a 20 year old having a child wouldn't be looked at as much different than a 16 year old high school student having one (your life is essentially ruined, how will you finish school, get a job, establish a career to afford raising a baby, etc.), even if said 20 year old was married (which would have been questioned in the first place. Married at 20? YOU'RE TOO DAMN YOUNG!). Raising a family here, or living here on your own with nothing to support but yourself and a cactus, is bloody expensive though. I am sure young families have a much easier time in Nowheresville, Tennessee. For Zach and Whitney's sake, I hope so.

If you think Whit's young...Alyssa's even younger! I'm no experts on Bates birthdays, but I do believe she stands a fairly good chance of becoming a teen mom, assuming they choose not to use family planning and she inherited Kelly's fertility.

And while less expensive in Tennessee, raising a family anywhere in the US is still pretty expensive. The disconnect I think you are seeing is that most people plan or at least assume that they will be bearing the financial burden of supporting their family. Zach seems to be going the Gil Bates route and assuming that he will eventually be handed bail outs like a well paying job somewhere down the line and so does not need to work/invest/delay starting a family now.

To put it in other words, many people spend their pre-married and early married years saving up for or working towards a lifestyle that can support their future endeavors, which usually causes them to marry and have children later. Zach doesn't seem to see the wisdom of that because he seems to be operating on the "God will Provide" theory.

The Bates family isn't really on the cutting edge of... anything. I don't see them being deterred by a naming trend that is 24 months or so off its peak.

I doubt Zach cares at all about trendy names. Whitney, who married into this life, rather than having been raised in it, and is really into trendy things in general based on her Pinterest, is probably on top of the trends.

If you think Whit's young...Alyssa's even younger! I'm no experts on Bates birthdays, but I do believe she stands a fairly good chance of becoming a teen mom, assuming they choose not to use family planning and she inherited Kelly's fertility.

And while less expensive in Tennessee, raising a family anywhere in the US is still pretty expensive. The disconnect I think you are seeing is that most people plan or at least assume that they will be bearing the financial burden of supporting their family. Zach seems to be going the Gil Bates route and assuming that he will eventually be handed bail outs like a well paying job somewhere down the line and so does not need to work/invest/delay starting a family now.

To put it in other words, many people spend their pre-married and early married years saving up for or working towards a lifestyle that can support their future endeavors, which usually causes them to marry and have children later. Zach doesn't seem to see the wisdom of that because he seems to be operating on the "God will Provide" theory.

Alyssa's birthday is Nov. 9, so even if she gets pregnant on her wedding night, she'll be 20 when she becomes a mom.

Even still, she's very young.

Alyssa's birthday is Nov. 9, so even if she gets pregnant on her wedding night, she'll be 20 when she becomes a mom.

Even still, she's very young.

Ah! Thanks for the correction. I was thinking that she was 18, not 19!

I just read through the latest Z&W blog entry and...surely Zach didn't actually write that, right?

She is just starting to get her little baby belly and she is SOOOO CUTE!!!!! We are having the best time trying to pick out baby names and looking up baby stuff on Pinterest:)

...right? :?

Archived