IGNORED

GrandBates on the Way - Whitney is Pregnant

Boogalou

Zach looks like Curious George's friend.

The Man In the Tight Yellow Shirt probably wouldn't have gone over as well with parents as the Man in the Yellow Hat.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the early nineties a sundress with spaghetti straps and a tight white t-shirt underneath it was the height of fashion. At least to 13 year old me.

I wore that look as well. :)

I personally agree with whomever said that perhaps she's making due with what clothes she has, (or maybe dislikes clothes shopping?) before having buy maternity clothing. I've also seen this look with those who are partial to being chilly/cold often or when you wish to wear a dress but it isn't possible due to weather conditions. Yes, I've seen people trying to pull off sleeveless/sundress with an undershirt in January.

Kelly's been see wearing short sleeved turtleneck shirts/dickeys as undershirts in the height of summer! While a sweater would be a better option, I agree, perhaps Her making due is the case.

Oh yeah t-shirts under baby doll dresses and Doc Martens. That was the height of fashion in my junior high and early high school days.

Personally I find the print on Whit's dress to be just :confusion-helpsign:. That is a LOT of giant sunflower on one small person.

All I see in my head is Kelly, Brenda, and Donna from BH 90210 wearing that style with Combat Boots. I think some styles should be left in the 90's, and this is one of those styles. :lol:

#DonnaMartinGraduates

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it looked nice, but now that you've told me it looks stupid, I'll have to change my mind. :roll:

Newbie here. Just love snark! Lol

I don't understand why people get so up in arms about Whitney's age. As stated before, she CHOSE this life. This was not the life she was brought up into. I had my kids in my mid 20's, but I think I was ready to be a mom and a wife when I was in college. It may be hard to believe, but some women really "only" want to be mothers and wives, and choose to do so out of their own volition. Honestly, I say great for Whitney. She doesn't feel pressured to go to college or put a career before having a family. She knew what she wanted out of life and got it. Feminism is about choice, Whitney chose this life. Just because she didn't choose what you or I chose doesn't make it wrong.

Choice feminism is only one branch of feminist thought. Radical feminists, for instance, don't believe in choice at all. This is an aspect of radical feminism that I agree with. Choices are not made in a vacuum. Women's actions are still influenced by the patriarchy. Her choices are shaped and molded by every previous experience. Considering her upbringing, it does not surprise me that she wants to start a family on her own ASAP because she hasn't had a stable one. I know a couple who did that, got married and had kids super young because they both had shitty, abusive childhoods. It didn't end well.

Choice feminism is only one branch of feminist thought. Radical feminists, for instance, don't believe in choice at all. This is an aspect of radical feminism that I agree with. Choices are not made in a vacuum. Women's actions are still influenced by the patriarchy. Her choices are shaped and molded by every previous experience. Considering her upbringing, it does not surprise me that she wants to start a family on her own ASAP because she hasn't had a stable one. I know a couple who did that, got married and had kids super young because they both had shitty, abusive childhoods. It didn't end well.

So instead of allowing someone to do whatever THEY WANT to do because "the patriarchy made her want it," you're going to FORCE HER to do something she DOESN'T want to do because "it's better to do anything against the patriarchy." Is a boy allowed to choose? Or is he now going to be forced to stay at home because it's not what the patriarchy wants, therefore it's good?

#DonnaMartinGraduates

You know, I actually have a t-shirt that has that saying on it. :lol: I hate to admit it, but that show will always go down as my favorite show of all time.

So instead of allowing someone to do whatever THEY WANT to do because "the patriarchy made her want it," you're going to FORCE HER to do something she DOESN'T want to do because "it's better to do anything against the patriarchy." Is a boy allowed to choose? Or is he now going to be forced to stay at home because it's not what the patriarchy wants, therefore it's good?

She didn't say anything about forcing anyone to do anything. She's talking theory. (Not necessarily one I agree with, but I can distinguish between someone speaking theoretically and someone speaking practically.)

Thats not what I said at all. The point is not to force her into a role she doesn't like, but to realize that the choice is moot. Of course she will still have personal preferences, but these preferences were formed and shaped by society's standards. And yes, men are negatively affected by the patriarchy too.

ETA: As a feminist, I don't believe I have to support every woman's decision because it is her choice and that is what feminism is. To me, that isn't what feminism is; feminism is the equality of sexes, equal rights, equal pay, etc. I can look at her decisions and still feel they are not what is best for her.

Thats not what I said at all. The point is not to force her into a role she doesn't like, but to realize that the choice is moot. Of course she will still have personal preferences, but these preferences were formed and shaped by society's standards. And yes, men are negatively affected by the patriarchy too.

ETA: As a feminist, I don't believe I have to support every woman's decision because it is her choice and that is what feminism is. To me, that isn't what feminism is; feminism is the equality of sexes, equal rights, equal pay, etc. I can look at her decisions and still feel they are not what is best for her.

I'm just curious though... What about her choice to have children now is it that you think is wrong, or not the best choice for her? She seems healthy, they live in an affordable area, they certainly aren't wealthy but they seem to have enough. What about waiting would be a positive? I know it's just your opinion, but I wonder about this idea that being older to have children is somehow intrinsically better - why?

Yeah, that. I mean, I seriously think his sisters are writing blog entries for him. Do they even teach typing at the SOTDRT?

I have to say I really find it strange when some posters here seem to have much more rigid gender views than the fundies they are snarking on.

Young men being emotional, or gushing about the prospect of a baby, or even liking a pink bedroom really is okay, and not even that unusual in 2014.

:lol: Sorry Mrs 2004 but the guys I know who like pink are gay or is married to a wife who LOVES pink. It's dusty rose actually. My youngest sister grew up in the 90's and there was a rapper named Camron who started a few guys wearing pink as some sort of trend. Now that never stuck with me. It's ok for guys to cry, love babies, cook, do hair, or be a nurse. But I draw the line with PINK :lol:

:lol: Sorry Mrs 2004 but the guys I know who like pink are gay or is married to a wife who LOVES pink. It's dusty rose actually. My youngest sister grew up in the 90's and there was a rapper named Camron who started a few guys wearing pink as some sort of trend. Now that never stuck with me. It's ok for guys to cry, love babies, cook, do hair, or be a nurse. But I draw the line with PINK :lol:

:angry-banghead: That is such a crap attitude and not funny at all. Especially an awful one if you have any influence over young children growing up.

:angry-banghead: That is such a crap attitude and not funny at all. Especially an awful one if you have any influence over young children growing up.

Won't apologize for not liking PINK on a male. It's just my opinion. If you want to dress your son in pink then go ahead. I also don't like wearing white after Labor Day or bright colors to a funeral. Wouldn't dare tell you to NOT dress your son in pink. That's how people get cursed out. Just saying "I" don't like pink on guys just like the Duggars don't like kissing before marriage. We all have opinions that may seem ridiculous to others. Ok I forgot I saw a dude wearing a pink bow tie not long ago...it actually looked nice. See there is still hope for me :pray:

Won't apologize for not liking PINK on a male. It's just my opinion. If you want to dress your son in pink then go ahead. I also don't like wearing white after Labor Day or bright colors to a funeral. Wouldn't dare tell you to NOT dress your son in pink. That's how people get cursed out. Just saying "I" don't like pink on guys just like the Duggars don't like kissing before marriage. We all have opinions that may seem ridiculous to others. Ok I forgot I saw a dude wearing a pink bow tie not long ago...it actually looked nice. See there is still hope for me :pray:

I don't like pink at all. It's just too girly for me. The hot pink Alyssa chose is so horrible IMHO. My sons don't like pink either, which is their own decision. They hate yellow more though, no idea why. Girls's toys (especially younger girls) are nearly all varying degrees of pinkness, which I think turned them off pink initially. They had to be taught that girls don't all like pink things.

I'm just curious though... What about her choice to have children now is it that you think is wrong, or not the best choice for her? She seems healthy, they live in an affordable area, they certainly aren't wealthy but they seem to have enough. What about waiting would be a positive? I know it's just your opinion, but I wonder about this idea that being older to have children is somehow intrinsically better - why?

I think the issue isn't age, but the lack of experience out in the world to make informed decisions. Quiverfull/Patriarchal couples are expected to marry and have babies and right away. You will chose this if you know no other way or get conned into thinking it is the right path. Even the secular world promotes being married and having kids as the default. How many really think about this? While may not have been raised like the Duggar kids, she is being sucked further into Quiverfull. How can getting upset over negative pregnancy test after two weeks of marriage not be pressure? If I were them, I would say screw my parents and in-laws and do what the heck I want, but they aren't. And believe me from what I have seen, having kids later can be a good thing. This isn't saying you need to be 35, but a good head on your shoulder helps.

Less than 100 years ago pink was considered a boys' colour bc it's strong.

My son likes pink and it freaks his father out to no end. My daughter liking pink and dump trucks is perfectly fine but my son liking pink and dump trucks is NOT okay. Their father has rigid gender control issues, too. It's annoying but since I have the kids a majority of the time, he can suck it.

My problem with Erin and Chad's bedroom isn't so much that it's pink but that it looks like a little girls room. My daughter would love it. And I can't imagine anyone having sex there. How can you not feel like a creepy pedophile in that room?

I think Whitney knew what she was getting into when she married Zach. Didn't she spent lots of time chatting with him at Sonic before they talked to the parents, started courting, etc? Zach must have told her about his family, his beliefs, and what was and wasn't negotiable for him, and she could have decided to just keep chatting - or not.

Still, I can see (in some ways) how things may have looked more idyllic than they might turn out to be. A big, happy family, love, and security sound great. No birth control and no abortion under any circumstances...assuming they really follow this...could be really scary if there turn out to be circumstances. Her interests and motivations might shift as she gets older and what if she decides she wants more independence and adventure?

I believe it's going to work out OK for them though. They seem compatible and genuinely in love, and I get the sense that Zach is more considerate than some other fundie husbands we talk about here. He may be OK with her working part-time if she were to want that. And she shouldn't have any trouble finding babysitters.

I think the issue isn't age, but the lack of experience out in the world to make informed decisions. Quiverfull/Patriarchal couples are expected to marry and have babies and right away. You will chose this if you know no other way or get conned into thinking it is the right path. Even the secular world promotes being married and having kids as the default. How many really think about this? While may not have been raised like the Duggar kids, she is being sucked further into Quiverfull. How can getting upset over negative pregnancy test after two weeks of marriage not be pressure? If I were them, I would say screw my parents and in-laws and do what the heck I want, but they aren't. And believe me from what I have seen, having kids later can be a good thing. This isn't saying you need to be 35, but a good head on your shoulder helps.

But you are assuming that what she wants is the same as what youwant.

As far as the age of having children goes, the primary drawback, for most people, to having children young is economic and educational. But if they are ok financially and she intends on being at home, not in college, in any case, I don't see what the drawbacks are.

You know, until VERY VERY recently, pink was a boys color. And in many areas it still is. Pink is a variant of red, a strong, bold color, which is why it's used for boys. Blues were used for girls because it's softer and more feminine. Your narrow view of colors based on gender isn't really founded in much other than trends.

When I ever get married, I'll be hoping for a positive test as soon as possible. It's not because the patriarchy makes me want babies. It's because *I* want babies. I want to be a mother. Why is that such a bad thing?

Less than 100 years ago pink was considered a boys' colour bc it's strong.

My son likes pink and it freaks his father out to no end. My daughter liking pink and dump trucks is perfectly fine but my son liking pink and dump trucks is NOT okay. Their father has rigid gender control issues, too. It's annoying but since I have the kids a majority of the time, he can suck it.

My problem with Erin and Chad's bedroom isn't so much that it's pink but that it looks like a little girls room. My daughter would love it. And I can't imagine anyone having sex there. How can you not feel like a creepy pedophile in that room?

Has anyone else noticed that Kelly & Gil's bedroom is pink as well? I noticed it in one of the episodes with the Duggars there helping with renovations.

That's interesting. I wonder if Erin chose pink because she grew up thinking that's the color a master bedroom is.

As for the pink debate I happen to love it when my DH wears pink looks good on him.

When I ever get married, I'll be hoping for a positive test as soon as possible. It's not because the patriarchy makes me want babies. It's because *I* want babies. I want to be a mother. Why is that such a bad thing?

It's a good thing, but please remember that babies are forever, and they are super demanding. You will always have part of your heart running around outside of you. :lol: It's awesome, but definitely more to it than i assumed before i had them!

Archived