IGNORED

Zach Bates for mayor.

sunshine

I give her a pass for that, though. I have a baby board as well, and I'm not getting married until June.

Congratulations! :-)

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give her a pass for that, though. I have a baby board as well, and I'm not getting married until June.

Yeah I started mine just after I got pregnant last June but didn't start trying for a baby until Oct (pregnant in Dec) however it's one of my SECRET Pinterest boards as we don't tell people in Australia til we are 12 weeks & had nuchal scan for Down's syndrome & miscarriage risk less than 2%. So next Thursday for me- can't wait to tell family!!

Why the hell doesn't she just have it as secret board??

I terminated an unplanned pregnancy a couple years ago even though I already had the nursery planned on Pinterest. So let's just say that Pinterest planning does not correlate directly to real life sometimes.

Yeah I started mine just after I got pregnant last June but didn't start trying for a baby until Oct (pregnant in Dec) however it's one of my SECRET Pinterest boards as we don't tell people in Australia til we are 12 weeks & had nuchal scan for Down's syndrome & miscarriage risk less than 2%. So next Thursday for me- can't wait to tell family!!

Why the hell doesn't she just have it as secret board??

That's what I was thinking. I've only been married a few months, and we're still not ready to start trying. I do, however, have a Pinterest board. I just keep it secret because I grew up with a lot of nosy-ass people who don't need to know my business.

That's what I was thinking. I've only been married a few months, and we're still not ready to start trying. I do, however, have a Pinterest board. I just keep it secret because I grew up with a lot of nosy-ass people who don't need to know my business.

I'm single but have a secret wedding board only because, ironically, I'm looking for a dress with sleeves that doesn't look like the fundie t-shirt dress--if that day ever happens. It passes the time on slow work days.

Maybe she doesn't know about the secret option?

According to Kelly, he knows how to stretch a dollar because he's from a large family.

So, his qualifications are, he's from a large family...

Well, it's easy to stretch a dollar when you don't care about your kids having healthcare, healthy meals, an education or any dreams or goals that are not yours. Apparently, all a town needs in a mayor is someone who reads the Bible and is against abortion.

According to Kelly, he knows how to stretch a dollar because he's from a large family.

So, his qualifications are, he's from a large family...

That's totally the same thing as budgeting in govt.

You mean so he can be a grifter like his old man?

I never got why fundamentalists call it Bible when everyone else will call it theology. I know that "Bible" is an unnuanced major without any critical thinking involved, but Bible just sounds so unsophisticated.

Because to fundamentalists, there's no need to study "theology." The Bible is the be all, end all of Christianity. No need even for ancient languages - the KJV is translated perfectly.

I live in a fairly small, albeit liberal town. If some famous (I use this term loosely) person from another state came here and inserted their opinions into our local election we would run them out of town with garden tools. Probably not pitchforks because it's pretty urban here, but rakes and shovels.

I just noticed that he has a Bible reference on his campaign sign.

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1)

I find the lack of intellectual curiosity amongst the Duggars, Bates and others of their ilk very disturbing. In Zach's case one would think that he would WANT to study economics, history, sociology, etc. as a way to help him do the job he is aspiring to get.

Without going into too much detail, in the political branch of the inlaws, a young son in law was majoring in Political Science and Pre law at a small private but not religious university. He had been tagged by the family as someone who would eventually be a candidate. He was bitching, one day, about why a poli-sci major would have to take all these history classes.... he figured mostly he had to just direct the future, not know about history, or any of the things you listed.

I am happy to report he has not yet ventured into politics, though his father in law was in his 40s when he first got that bug, so maybe he will yet go into politics. I guess only time will tell....

I find the lack of intellectual curiosity amongst the Duggars, Bates and others of their ilk very disturbing. In Zach's case one would think that he would WANT to study economics, history, sociology, etc. as a way to help him do the job he is aspiring to get.

because the diggers teach their children what to think not how to think. This is the main reason they can't go to collage because it will let them actually think. so when you have very ignorant homeschooling parents you get the same in the children.

who needs to they always pick the worst ones and kill them off. We need to hire them as stealth career destroyers. of course zach is not wise enough to see what the diggers do.

Let's hope the Duggar curse keeps up the good work in 2014.

because the diggers teach their children what to think not how to think. This is the main reason they can't go to collage because it will let them actually think. so when you have very ignorant homeschooling parents you get the same in the children.

Yep, they break the inate curiosity in their babies(a curiosity that is vital for all aspects of healthy development) by blanket training and by teaching their babies the world is unsafe. And they continue right on into childhood and adolescence. If they've done a halfway successful job, the kid is completely broken by the time they reach the age of majority, and completely incapable of independent thought or asking a question (or even realising that asking a question is even an option).

Zach Bates may be a nice young man but I am totally baffled as to why he feels qualified to run for mayor of any place. Because he moved out of mom and dad's house and got married? That is apparently the definition of adult in Gothardworld but not in the real world.

Who is encouraging him to do this? Is it part of some kind of Gothard supported fundie takeover of politics?

Is Zach incredibly naive or incredibly arrogant? If he is just someone's puppet, I feel some sadness for the humiliation that he is sure to face. If he is really that arrogant or ignorant, then maybe this will be a much needed wakeup call for him.

I wonder how much Zach's lack of education/experience will really hold him back. Folksiness and anti-intellectualism are sometimes seen as virtues in the US when it comes to running for politics. And this is a rural area where his family is well known. Didn't some town in Alaska elect a cat as a mayor? I think Zach has a shot at winning....

Zach Bates may be a nice young man but I am totally baffled as to why he feels qualified to run for mayor of any place. Because he moved out of mom and dad's house and got married? That is apparently the definition of adult in Gothardworld but not in the real world.

Who is encouraging him to do this? Is it part of some kind of Gothard supported fundie takeover of politics?

Is Zach incredibly naive or incredibly arrogant? If he is just someone's puppet, I feel some sadness for the humiliation that he is sure to face. If he is really that arrogant or ignorant, then maybe this will be a much needed wakeup call for him.

My guess is that the Duggars, Bates, et al feel they are morally superior to the rest of us and that we need their leadership to show us how to follow their path. (gag me with a spoon). Hubris is a big part of their movement. And, yes, I believe they are trying to infiltrate politics wherever they can. In my small town, the mayor is highly educated as are the people who sit on the council. To a person they have all created businesses....large businesses. They have all received advanced degrees. One of them is a graduate of West Point. Not once has any of them mentioned religion while performing their duties on the council. Their job is to ensure the safety and welfare of the citizens of our community, encourage commerce and keep an eye on the budget. Maybe people in Zach's community have low expectations from their elected officials so they don't care if a person is not qualified. I'd like to see Zach come to my town and run for an elected position.

I wonder how much Zach's lack of education/experience will really hold him back. Folksiness and anti-intellectualism are sometimes seen as virtues in the US when it comes to running for politics. And this is a rural area where his family is well known. Didn't some town in Alaska elect a cat as a mayor? I think Zach has a shot at winning....

Better a cat as mayor than the village idiot. (cough) Wasilla (cough) Sarah Palin (cough)

I would vote for a cat over Zach.

Most cats would be better mayors than Zach.

Most cats would be better mayors than Zach.

Especially cats from big families, since according to Kelly that's the only qualification you need to become mayor.

My cat was homeschooled, but I'm not sure if she has kept herself pure as I suspect she had kittens out of wedlock before we adopted her.

But AuntCloud, she kept the kittens instead of aborting them, right? Just like (cough) young Miss Palin (cough) she must now be held up as a shining example of mommyhood.

If my cat were elected Governor of, let's say, Alaska, I believe he would serve out his full term.

That party must be going on right now.... to bad there's not a jinger in the area to attend... :geek:

When is this election? Does he have an opponent?

I just noticed that he has a Bible reference on his campaign sign.

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1)

He didn't use my idea for a campaign sign? Damn. It was perfect for him.

Archived