IGNORED

Zach Bates for mayor.

sunshine

I've got the WBIR election result page open. (WBIR is a TV station in Knoxville.) So far, there are no results reported for Cumberland Anderson County Mayor, but their results were last updated at 10 this morning. As my dad used to say, it's nothing to nothing in favor of nobody.

I'll check some of the other stations in Knoxville.

No results here either, but there is a video with both candidates in it:

http://www.wate.com/story/25445600/ande ... or-sheriff

ETA: The video doesn't seem to work, but there is a short article about the candidates.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got the WBIR election result page open. (WBIR is a TV station in Knoxville.) So far, there are no results reported for Cumberland County Mayor, but their results were last updated at 10 this morning. As my dad used to say, it's nothing to nothing in favor of nobody.

I'll check some of the other stations in Knoxville.

He's Anderson county not Cumberland.

Anderson Co. Mayor ®

Last Updated: 5/06/2014 at 8:51 PM

Zach Bates

1,863 votes

45%

Terry Frank

2,264 votes

Zach losing by 400 votes

ETA: Beat me to it!

Thanks for the correction, EmiGirl! And the update!

ETA: One thing I find a little frustrating is that there is no tally of how many precincts are reporting or what percentage of the votes have been tallied. I'd like to know how badly Zach is getting beaten!

Terry Frank is the winner! At 9:45 pm, Ms Frank had 3,896 votes to Zach's 3,406.

Congratulations Ms Frank!

Wow! He actually didn't do so bad. Unfortunately this might encourage him to try again. It's not like he was totally whipped. A lot of people "actually" voted for him. I'm very concerned about that :evil-eye:

Beaten by a woman. Perfect. Although I am a little disturbed but not surprised by how well he did in the elections.

Although I disagree strongly with most of their beliefs, I think the Bates are among the nicest fundie families. I liked their show, and thought they did a careful job of homeschooling and teaching the kids manners, etc. They seem loving and the kids seems happy. None of this stilted, sullen, guarded stuff you see with the Duggar kids once they reach about 10 years old.

I'm ashamed, therefore, at how pleased I am that Zach Bates lost the election. Lost to a woman, too! That woman is going to have authority over Zach, and he is commanded by Scripture to obey her! I wonder why God is allowing such a thing.

It's quite a loss for Zach. The job paid around $72,000. That's a pretty nice living in Tennessee (and elsewhere), and he does have a baby coming. I doubt Whitney will be working at Sonic once the baby comes. Does Zach even have a real job?

I don't like to rejoice at another's misfortune, but still. . . he was only 25. .. . why not get some business experience first? He would have been way out of his league. I get irritated with people who don't want to work their way up, and that's what this campaign felt like to me.

Although I disagree strongly with most of their beliefs, I think the Bates are among the nicest fundie families. I liked their show, and thought they did a careful job of homeschooling and teaching the kids manners, etc. They seem loving and the kids seems happy. None of this stilted, sullen, guarded stuff you see with the Duggar kids once they reach about 10 years old.

I'm ashamed, therefore, at how pleased I am that Zach Bates lost the election. Lost to a woman, too! That woman is going to have authority over Zach, and he is commanded by Scripture to obey her! I wonder why God is allowing such a thing.

It's quite a loss for Zach. The job paid around $72,000. That's a pretty nice living in Tennessee (and elsewhere), and he does have a baby coming. I doubt Whitney will be working at Sonic once the baby comes. Does Zach even have a real job?

I don't like to rejoice at another's misfortune, but still. . . he was only 25. .. . why not get some business experience first? He would have been way out of his league. I get irritated with people who don't want to work their way up, and that's what this campaign felt like to me.

Doesn't Zach work with Chad at the scrap metal yard? I wouldn't think it is a lifelong career? and I'm surprised they rent such a large house(not just rent but utilities) can't be that cheap.

I think Zach works in a shop. But Zach job is somehow hidden in his blog or in Bates website.

It's funny how fundies doesn't talk about low-paid jobs. They talk a lot about jobs when their children are self-employed or "ministry", but not about the other ones.

Zach has talked a lot about his volunteering but he has never talked about his real job (the job that pays the bills).

Of course, it's different when talking about girls. They can be babysitters (Michael) or shop attendants (Alyssa) or waitress (Whit).

Wow, he did really well.

Can someone edumacate me on whether him running for the primary for mayor affects his commissioner position? This vote was only to figure out who will actually run for mayor in August, right?

Wow, he did really well.

Can someone edumacate me on whether him running for the primary for mayor affects his commissioner position? This vote was only to figure out who will actually run for mayor in August, right?

Unless he resigned his commissioner position, he should still have it, depending on how long the term of office is. Running for another position doesn't mean you give up the one you currently have.

I'm also surprised by how close the election was. It's rather disturbing that so many people would rather have an inexperienced 20-something who considers coming from a big family one of his selling points than someone with lots of experience and has been doing the job for a while now.

I hope Zach waits quite a while before he runs for something else. Maybe start a business or work in an environment that requires the skills he would need to actually be a mayor of a whole county.

I'm relieved for Anderson County that he lost - but dismayed that a 25 year old with no experience, no qualifications, and no platform got that many votes!

Yeah, it's troubling to think that if he runs again, he's got a legitimate shot at winning. Losing by only 400 votes means that there are enough people supporting him to where he could actually run again and be mayor in the future.

Yeah, it's troubling to think that if he runs again, he's got a legitimate shot at winning. Losing by only 400 votes means that there are enough people supporting him to where he could actually run again and be mayor in the future.

Some people don't vote for what a person stands for, they vote because of the work they put into their campaign, or against the current one (anyone but current mentality). In my hometown we had a byelection for a council position, and the guy who stood on a street corner during commuting time for three weeks in the driving snow with a sandwich board won. He turned out to be a colossal bag of toys with zero work ethic and questionable motives, and come the actual election, didnt get back in.

Zach probably worked hard for some votes, and gained the rest from the people who don't like the current mayor. Me personally, I know what the candidates stand for, but i also give weight to whether or not they show up on my doorstep.

Between this and Mark Harris losing yesterday, the Duggars have not broken their streak of supporting losers.

Some people don't vote for what a person stands for, they vote because of the work they put into their campaign, or against the current one (anyone but current mentality). In my hometown we had a byelection for a council position, and the guy who stood on a street corner during commuting time for three weeks in the driving snow with a sandwich board won. He turned out to be a colossal bag of toys with zero work ethic and questionable motives, and come the actual election, didnt get back in.

Zach probably worked hard for some votes, and gained the rest from the people who don't like the current mayor. Me personally, I know what the candidates stand for, but i also give weight to whether or not they show up on my doorstep.

The bolded. It's probably commentary on the incumbent.

Also, for primaries it's usually only the hardcore people that show up, and since the Bates seem to be good at networking, that probably worked in Zach's favor.

Wow, he did really well.

The county commissioners are all up for election on the August ballot. Zach is not running for re-election as a county commissioner. I doubt he could have run for both. Had he won the mayoral primary that would have put him on the ballot in August for two different positions.

The bolded. It's probably commentary on the incumbent.

Also, for primaries it's usually only the hardcore people that show up, and since the Bates seem to be good at networking, that probably worked in Zach's favor.

The bolded is definitely true. I live in Anderson County and watched both debates that Zach participated in. He offered no real solutions, only throwing out general terms like "leadership" and "communication". He ran more against Terry Frank that for anything. She has been involved in several lawsuits since she has been in office the last two years (all filed against her, not by her) and has stood her ground against what is mainly a good ol' boy county commission (15 out of 16 commissioners are men). Some people love her for this and others don't. He was definitely playing to those that don't, and also definitely drawing on the Duggar/Bates names. We received two robo calls leading up to the primary in support of Zach -- from Congressman Daniel Webster and from Michelle Duggar. And of course the Duggars appeared at his first campaign rally. During early voting you couldn't drive past any of the three election sites without seeing a gaggle of Bates kids. I drove past four different election sites yesterday and it was the same.

I voted for Terry Frank and I'm seriously shocked that Zach came so close to beating her. Terry has a degree in political science, has owned a local business for 20 years, has been past chairperson of the Anderson County Republican party, and has served on many boards in the area. When Zach was asked about his experience in the debates he mentioned his four years as a county commissioner (representing what is probably the most economically challenged and undereducated part of the county), that he started mowing lawns with his dad at age 13, and of course the tree cutting business. I was really embarrassed for him just watching it.

I'm surprised anyone feels bad for Zach that he lost. Yes, he lost a well paying job, but he was not qualified for that position. If he's going to have trouble supporting a (growing) family on his salary, that's his own damn fault.

Zach and I are the same age. Would anyone feel bad for me if I didn't get a job I applied for because I didn't have the necessary skill set? I hope not. Yes, Zach has a wife and baby to support. Well, that's a choice. No one FORCED him to have kids now, and no one is going to force Whit to quit working when the baby comes. If they CHOSE/CHOOSE to do that because of their beliefs, that is THEIR CHOICE and they must accept the consequences.

Meanwhile, I have chosen to live below my means, not start a family so that I have capital to invest, and continue to improve my value in the job market by continuing my education...all choices Zach was free to make and didn't.

It's high time the Bates learned a thing or two about WORKING FOR things instead of looking for handouts. This was a sweet deal that Zach was just hoping the people would give him despite his lack of qualifications. Zach, you want a good career, you have to earn it. Quit being a mooch.

I'm surprised anyone feels bad for Zach that he lost. Yes, he lost a well paying job, but he was not qualified for that position. If he's going to have trouble supporting a (growing) family on his salary, that's his own damn fault.

Zach and I are the same age. Would anyone feel bad for me if I didn't get a job I applied for because I didn't have the necessary skill set? I hope not. Yes, Zach has a wife and baby to support. Well, that's a choice. No one FORCED him to have kids now, and no one is going to force Whit to quit working when the baby comes. If they CHOSE/CHOOSE to do that because of their beliefs, that is THEIR CHOICE and they must accept the consequences.

Meanwhile, I have chosen to live below my means, not start a family so that I have capital to invest, and continue to improve my value in the job market by continuing my education...all choices Zach was free to make and didn't.

It's high time the Bates learned a thing or two about WORKING FOR things instead of looking for handouts. This was a sweet deal that Zach was just hoping the people would give him despite his lack of qualifications. Zach, you want a good career, you have to earn it. Quit being a mooch.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just reread all the comments and I don't see where anyone said they feel bad that Zach lost? All the comments I read state that they're glad or relieved that Zach lost.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just reread all the comments and I don't see where anyone said they feel bad that Zach lost? All the comments I read state that they're glad or relieved that Zach lost.

Sorry, not here. Left out that sentence :embarrassed:

I have friends on fb that are bemoaning how it's a "shame" Zach lost because it would have been a great way for him to support his new baby, and are generally "poor Zach"-ing it up. These are also people that feel that it would be totally fair for people with large families to be paid more than people without kids because "they need it" and we should "support that lifestyle".

So I guess I really shouldn't have expected much of that logic from them. I haven't checked the leghumpers yet, but I bet it's more of the same with a side of "Persecuted Christians".

Sorry, not here. Left out that sentence :embarrassed:

I have friends on fb that are bemoaning how it's a "shame" Zach lost because it would have been a great way for him to support his new baby, and are generally "poor Zach"-ing it up. These are also people that feel that it would be totally fair for people with large families to be paid more than people without kids because "they need it" and we should "support that lifestyle".

So I guess I really shouldn't have expected much of that logic from them. I haven't checked the leghumpers yet, but I bet it's more of the same with a side of "Persecuted Christians".

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I totally agree with you that it is not up to the citizens of Anderson County to elect him to a position that he's totally unqualified for just so he can support his family. I have suspected from the beginning that there were two reasons Zach was running for mayor -- for the paycheck and because he really can't stand that the current mayor is a woman. I agree with you that they need to learn to work to support their families. It irritates me that so few people understand what grifters these families are.

Archived