IGNORED

Zach Bates for mayor.

sunshine

If her campaign staff are worth anything they will have googled, found out his connection to a cult and will run with it. Shining a light on IBLP might end up being a good thing.

That would indeed be a good thing for the campaign staff to go with but do wonder if there's some risk in doing so? What I mean is, do they want to risk alienating any like minded evangelical voters or even just conservative voters who will like the fresh faced Christian young man and might be more likely to vote? It was mentioned by a poster who formerly lived in the area that things have gone more conservative there however at the same time it's in a metro area and probably more diverse than the town Zach lives in so I can see exposing the Gothard connection either backfiring or working.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the conservative evangelical Christians I know don't like Gothard. Gothard isn't just a conservative Christian, he is way more extreme than that. It could backfire, but I bet many of those evangelical Christians have kids in college, have women who wear pants, served in the military, have women in the family that work, and own Cabbage Patch dolls.

Many of the conservative evangelical Christians I know don't like Gothard. Gothard isn't just a conservative Christian, he is way more extreme than that. It could backfire, but I bet many of those evangelical Christians have kids in college, have women who wear pants, served in the military, have women in the family that work, and own Cabbage Patch dolls.

Thanks for clarifying how some conservative Christians view Gothard. Know that he's extreme but wasn't sure how he was viewed in conservative circles.

Not to get slightly ot, but have to think it's funny about the Cabbage Patch dolls. I know that people went nuts over them in their heyday but I just never got the appeal. Though one interesting tidbit, I worked in a fabric store that actually had the book by the Cabbage Patch creator on how to make them as they were all soft sculpture. Once they were marketed as the must have toy, that book was taken off the shelves real fast.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming....

That would indeed be a good thing for the campaign staff to go with but do wonder if there's some risk in doing so? What I mean is, do they want to risk alienating any like minded evangelical voters or even just conservative voters who will like the fresh faced Christian young man and might be more likely to vote? It was mentioned by a poster who formerly lived in the area that things have gone more conservative there however at the same time it's in a metro area and probably more diverse than the town Zach lives in so I can see exposing the Gothard connection either backfiring or working.

If I were the candidate and knew of the connection, no on on my official campaign would do anything with it, certainly not initially. But there would be friends of friends, not working the campaign, writing letters asking about Gothard in the paper, etc. Maybe even an ad from some friendly pac or group that I, as the candidate, didn't approve. You know, some ad "paid for by friends of cabbage patch dolls" or some such. If it was people who were not involved on her campaign at all, so much the better.

Yeah, he was so remarkable and mature that three months ago he wasn't trusted to spend time with his fiancé alone, live alone, or even leave the house unchaperoned to fulfil his County Commissioner role.

This may be old news,but did anyone know that the Bates supported Santorum? This is SO confusing to me because Santorum is Catholic. I have nothing against Catholics, but I know a lot of southern Baptists who do. The Duggars and Bates claim to be Baptists so I find it odd they would shove aside their denomination for campaigning. Zach even wrote an impressive email on why he supported Santorum. It's under Bella Santorum, on the Bates blog.

This may be old news,but did anyone know that the Bates supported Santorum? This is SO confusing to me because Santorum is Catholic. I have nothing against Catholics, but I know a lot of southern Baptists who do. The Duggars and Bates claim to be Baptists so I find it odd they would shove aside their denomination for campaigning. Zach even wrote an impressive email on why he supported Santorum. It's under Bella Santorum, on the Bates blog.

any port in a storm. They liked how much he was like them the abortion and all the right beliefs. they just had to ignore the catholic part then the moron part.

They care about one thing -- anti abortion candidates. They'll support anyone who claims to be pro life.

What if their choices were between a candidate who was pro life but supported gay marriage, and a pro choice but homophobic candidate?

Or a strongly pro life candidate who wanted to ban homeschooling, allow gay people to marry, ban spanking or any form of corporal punishment, was against prayer in schools or the teaching of creationism, compared to a pro choice candidate who was okay with fundies doing what they did now, but wanted to make it illegal for them to protest clinics.

Or a very liberal Christian and a fundamentalist Muslim?

What if their choices were between a candidate who was pro life but supported gay marriage, and a pro choice but homophobic candidate?

Or a strongly pro life candidate who wanted to ban homeschooling, allow gay people to marry, ban spanking or any form of corporal punishment, was against prayer in schools or the teaching of creationism, compared to a pro choice candidate who was okay with fundies doing what they did now, but wanted to make it illegal for them to protest clinics.

I think their heads would explode.

I have actually considered doing that. Gothard plays in politics by not getting involved himself but by getting his cult members involved. And despite him finding his own wife and Gothard not being at his wedding, I think Zach is very, very much still involved in IBLP and will do what Gothard tells him to do.

Here is a blog post that shows some of Gothard's political power:

heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-political-reach-of-gothard.html

Did I just read that juvenile offenders are sent to Gothard training camps? WTF????

I was wondering about that in the 2012 election. On Vision Forum's blog, Dougie basically seemed to say that when given the choice between a black "secret Muslim" and a Mormon, VF followers should simply not vote.

HhHyLJ4.jpg

I think their heads would explode.

Contradictory views will do that. ;)

On his twitter, he has a link to zachbates.com, but when you click on it there is no website yet. Seems like he should get on that sooner rather than later . . .

If the Z+W blog is any indicator of their writing abilities, they're still seeking out a proof-reader for their website. Better to have no website than one that is full of basic grammatical errors, especially given that his sheltered upbringing is bound to come up if this race is competitive at all.

Honestly in a mayoral campaign around here it doesn't get dirty (most of the time). It's not like in big cities where people actually care what party the mayoral candidate is running under. Issues about pro-choice and things like that don't even come up.

Honestly in a mayoral campaign around here it doesn't get dirty (most of the time). It's not like in big cities where people actually care what party the mayoral candidate is running under. Issues about pro-choice and things like that don't even come up.

They will with him he live for stopping abortions and and education and stuffing his beliefs down your throat. That's the only reason he is running.

Here we are nearly two weeks out and no one really knows anything about Zach and what he can do as mayor. What is the point of making Facebook and Twitter accounts to help you get the word out if you are not going to update them?

Here we are nearly two weeks out and no one really knows anything about Zach and what he can do as mayor. What is the point of making Facebook and Twitter accounts to help you get the word out if you are not going to update them?

Who is helping Zach with his campaigning? They are not doing a good job. Not everyone uses facebook or twitter. He might be in for a very rude awakening!

I am not particularly worried that Zach will win. Yes, there are long shots that come out of nowhere to win. The difference is that they usually has some particular skill, such as charisma or political savvy, that helps them win. Zach has neither. Just because people may dislike the current mayor doesn't mean that they will vote for the other guy, they know nothing about, except that he saved his first kiss for marriage. There is a reason an incumbant is so hard to beat. Better the devil you know than the one you don't (see Dubya and David Vitter).

I wonder if Zach even knows what goes into campaigning and actually being mayor. Does he know that he will have to do what his constituants want regarding of his own beliefs? Does he know that he would work for the people and not Gothard or Daddy? Will he do what is best for the school system when he is not a believer in sending kids to public school? Does know that, as mayor, he will be expected to go to banquets and other events where there is secular music and alcohol? Does a constituent's opinion/need/want only matter if they are a white, males, fundy christian?

I am not particularly worried that Zach will win. Yes, there are long shots that come out of nowhere to win. The difference is that they usually has some particular skill, such as charisma or political savvy, that helps them win. Zach has neither. Just because people may dislike the current mayor doesn't mean that they will vote for the other guy, they know nothing about, except that he saved his first kiss for marriage. There is a reason an incumbant is so hard to beat. Better the devil you know than the one you don't (see Dubya and David Vitter).

I wonder if Zach even knows what goes into campaigning and actually being mayor. Does he know that he will have to do what his constituants want regarding of his own beliefs? Does he know that he would work for the people and not Gothard or Daddy? Will he do what is best for the school system when he is not a believer in sending kids to public school? Does know that, as mayor, he will be expected to go to banquets and other events where there is secular music and alcohol? Does a constituent's opinion/need/want only matter if they are a white, males, fundy christian?

I'm still waiting for him to say why he wants to be mayor in the first place. Now that he's married and getting some, all of a sudden he feels like he "might" can rule the world.

should be too busy breeding then have time for this. but Hey since he has no clue about relationships and that he should spend time with the wfe what can you expect?

should be too bus breeding then have time for this. but Hey since he has no clue about relationships and that he should spend time with the wfe what can you expect?

Ha Ha ;D. I agree! They just got married. Why add complications to your world when you don't have to!

Archived