IGNORED

Zach Bates for mayor.

sunshine

I guess these people think that everyone is cut out to be a mom. Thats so not the case.

I worry for Erin. I think she has had a hard time adjusting to marriage, and I think she'll have an even harder time adjusting to motherhood.

I always worry about fundies and PPD, because I think their value system discourages mothers from admitting PPD and would provide questionable support if they do.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the press release says that Zach is a man of integrity and will continue to stand for lower taxes and less government waste. Has anyone ever seen anything that said what Zach actually intends to do other than stand for something?

claiming you have integrity and showing it ar two different things.when fundy christians claim morals I always check my wallet.

This is a handout that they have printed up.

7791_269761983186902_2000614993_n.jpg

As a voter, I really don't consider church membership, being "happily married," or sibling order to be qualifications for office. Again, it says absolutely nothing about what his platform is or what he hopes to accomplish.

As a voter, I really don't consider church membership, being "happily married," or sibling order to be qualifications for office. Again, it says absolutely nothing about what his platform is or what he hopes to accomplish.

People locally won state legislator seats with about that much info about them... no experience, no info, just "I'm a good conservative..."

Smart move using all caps, that takes away the chance of another SOTDRT capitalization error.

He's been married all of three months. I would assume that almost all marriages are happy at that point.

Especially if you have gone all your life without sex. Makes me wonder how good the marriage is if there is time to run for office. Me we were too busy having sex to think about doing something so time intensive.

Usually the Bates are LOOKING for handouts, not giving them.

looks more like a tv show ad then anything to do with politics. shows how clueless he really is.

Yeah, it's funny how basic competence is absent from his description of his qualifications for office. :think:

IMO, that handout just makes Zack look juvenile and very under qualified. That handout is ridiculous, but sadly that is almost identical to the mailings I have been recieving in the mail from other conservatives running for Governor and U.S. House of Reps. in my area. They like to play the whole, "Look at me. I am a awesome Christian that is married to the opposite sex" crappola and feel that is all they have to say to get a vote. Sometimes it works. I do not give two flying craps what church you go to. Frankly, if you claim to be a Christain and then proceed to do very un-Christian like behavior, like....you know...discrimation, then I would not vote for you to be Chief Dog Catcher.

Sadly to some of the fundie, conservative, or ultra-evangelical groups someone simply saying I'm a Christian is all the endorsement that they need.

I don't understand why they keep using Proverbs 22:1. It's saying an individual person should opt to have a good name rather than good riches, not that people should support the person with the "good name" (I will leave out any discussion of whether the Bates name would qualify as good...). Hence he second half of the verse, "to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."

Unless he's trying to claim he's giving up some other, high-paying opportunities for this (which seems unlikely...)

I don't understand why they keep using Proverbs 22:1. It's saying an individual person should opt to have a good name rather than good riches, not that people should support the person with the "good name" (I will leave out any discussion of whether the Bates name would qualify as good...). Hence he second half of the verse, "to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."

Unless he's trying to claim he's giving up some other, high-paying opportunities for this (which seems unlikely...)

Biblical literalists are a kooky crowd to begin with but even among that kooky crowd IFBs are seen as weird. They are renowned for cherry picking texts out of context and applying them to the most random things.

Biblical literalists are a kooky crowd to begin with but even among that kooky crowd IFBs are seen as weird. They are renowned for cherry picking texts out of context and applying them to the most random things.

It just seems like a stupid idea for campaign signs and flyers. If I saw this, I'd assume the candidate didn't understand a fairly straightforward proverb and therefore wouldn't want them in charge of anything important. If you can't figure out that saying, how can I expect you to understand the legalese that likely comes to the mayor's desk?

I guess, though, that there are many who would just see a bible verse listed and assume the candidate was good :/

You're presuming the Bateses have an insight into the way other ppl think. I'm pretty sure they don't. I think the practice of memorising and regurgitating proof texts replaced any ability to think critically a long time ago.

IMO, that handout just makes Zack look juvenile and very under qualified. That handout is ridiculous, but sadly that is almost identical to the mailings I have been recieving in the mail from other conservatives running for Governor and U.S. House of Reps. in my area. They like to play the whole, "Look at me. I am a awesome Christian that is married to the opposite sex" crappola and feel that is all they have to say to get a vote. Sometimes it works. I do not give two flying craps what church you go to. Frankly, if you claim to be a Christain and then proceed to do very un-Christian like behavior, like....you know...discrimation, then I would not vote for you to be Chief Dog Catcher.

It is beyond ridiculous that the fact that he is a member of a church is listed first, even above his time as county commissioner.

Yeah, by using this bible verse, I think Zach is trying to convey that he won't do anything underhanded, illegal or make deals that he knows he can benefit from financially etc., that would bring a dark cloud to his name. Therefore, those in his district can be assured (by reading this verse associated with him) that they will be represented by someone with integrity, honor and who is there to serve them and not for any financial gain etc.

That is what I take from it.

Is there going to be any kind of candidate forum during which the public can ask questions of the candidates? I sure hope so. I would question him on the whole "smaller government" thing. I believe he has said that he believes in smaller government so how does that apply to his position? I can see, though not agree, the whole small government meme as it pertains to the Federal government. But how does he apply those principles to the job he is running for? Making local government even smaller is a pretty dangerous thing when you consider that local government is the first line of defense during emergencies.

I must add that yesterday, while reading my newspaper (LA Times) I came upon a word that was totally new to me....Agnotology, which is the study of the cultural production of ignorance. It deals with the acceptance by some people of misleading information. Anybody ever heard of it? It's my favorite new word.

It is beyond ridiculous that the fact that he is a member of a church is listed first, even above his time as county commissioner.

I agree. He is not running for a position at Clinton Baptist, so why that is even listed as a qualification is beyond me.

And who gives a $&?! about him being happily married a whole whopping four months. Really? It is like he is equating a four month marriage as to being married for fifty years. Also, being married does not mean you are somehow more qualified to run for Mayor. There are plenty of single people in that county that has years of education and experience that could out Mayor Zach any day of the week. I swear, Zach gets laid, and he honestly thinks he can take on the world now. And do not even get me started on him using that picture of his family.

Honestly, I am rather pleasantly surprised that Zach did not put "I have a penis and my opponent does not" on his list of qualifications -- it would have gone right under "Clinton Bible Baptist Church, Member," of course.

:evil-eye: I know that when I'm trying to convince people I am mature and capable I definitely show them a photo of my parents and siblings. That really helps me look like a strong independent adult.

That ad is ridiculous.

I agree. He is not running for a position at Clinton Baptist, so why that is even listed as a qualification is beyond me.

And who gives a $&?! about him being happily married a whole whopping four months. Really? It is like he is equating a four month marriage as to being married for fifty years. Also, being married does not mean you are somehow more qualified to run for Mayor. There are plenty of single people in that county that has years of education and experience that could out Mayor Zach any day of the week. I swear, Zach gets laid, and he honestly thinks he can take on the world now. And do not even get me started on him using that picture of his family.

I got laid, and I didn't even have to get married to do it. Do I get a pat on the back? Can I list it at the top of my resume, or run for a political office and use it as my defining credential? :lol:

Well, he's been taught his entire life that the sole criteria for being an adult is being married. He has to remind us that he has a wife, lest we think the future mayor not be allowed unrestricted access to the internet or shares his bedroom with his siblings.

Archived