IGNORED

Alyssa Bates and John Webster Engagement (now confirmed)

xReems

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Trust god and he will provide.""God works through people in mysterious ways"

God places it in people's heart to support them to further the anti choice agenda.

Maybe she'll have the pink and orange colors Whitney originally wanted, that'd be kind of sad - I agree with someone who said earlier that Whitney probably had to change her colors so she could have the wedding sooner in winter instead of spring and then be able to cheapen it up as much as possible.

I hope she gets whatever she wants... Maybe they're more willing to let the Bates girls have what they want - and Whit had to deal with what "worked best for them".

I suspect this will be a much more formal (don't show up in jeans, Josh) wedding than Erin's and Zach's. Assuming so, I wonder which church they'll choose and how it will be catered. Wouldn't entirely surprise me if it's held in FL.

I suspect this will be a much more formal (don't show up in jeans, Josh) wedding than Erin's and Zach's. Assuming so, I wonder which church they'll choose and how it will be catered. Wouldn't entirely surprise me if it's held in FL.

Almost every fundie wedding I've seen has stuck to the tradition of marrying in the bride's hometown.

And when there's such reliance on wedding services and paraphernalia being donated it makes sense to hold the weddings in churches and communities where the brides and their parents have established networks to call on.

Will be interesting to see if Jessa marries in a proper church, or JimBob's Warehouse Church of Gothard, or even from the TTH.

When I was hunting for Alyssa's registry I found a Target one for an Alyssa Bates, wedding date May 24th (this was before Kelly said anything about the date). But I assumed it wasn't hers because the location was Nappanee, Indiana.

And they do have a wedding website now:

johnandalyssa2014.com/

Broke the link just in case.

Edited to remove link to wrong registry

I hope she gets whatever she wants... Maybe they're more willing to let the Bates girls have what they want - and Whit had to deal with what "worked best for them".

Zach and Whit's wedding was catered so their guests were served an actual meal. Erin's was only cheap finger foods.

About the wedding date, it was probably moved because Zach was probably ready to "become a man" at age 25 and didn't want to wait 4 more months for the sake of colors.

Whit will have the opportunity to have other big parties. I'm sure at least the first baby that her mother will throw a very nice shower.

That registry makes me sad :( I'm from a community/culture where registries are very much the norm. Traditionally, brides register(ed) for fine china, silver and crystal. That's less necessary now, both because people don't use "the good stuff" as often, and many of us are inheriting things from parents and grandparents. So, registries have shifted to less formal, but still nice, things for the home. Alyssa's registry looks like the wish list of someone who's never even seen nice things, and doesn't know how to judge quality. There's nothing wrong with Target flatware. My everyday stainless flatware is from Target and I love it , but it's Oneida that I bought on clearance. The Threshhold stuff they registered for is absolute crap - thin, flimsy...

That registry makes me sad :( I'm from a community/culture where registries are very much the norm. Traditionally, brides register(ed) for fine china, silver and crystal. That's less necessary now, both because people don't use "the good stuff" as often, and many of us are inheriting things from parents and grandparents. So, registries have shifted to less formal, but still nice, things for the home. Alyssa's registry looks like the wish list of someone who's never even seen nice things, and doesn't know how to judge quality. There's nothing wrong with Target flatware. My everyday stainless flatware is from Target and I love it , but it's Oneida that I bought on clearance. The Threshhold stuff they registered for is absolute crap - thin, flimsy...

These people are preparing for large quivers they feed TTC on paper plates, maybe some melamine for a fancy occasion, otherwise it'd be impossible to own nice things because there's too many chances of it being broken by tiny hands. Most people never use their fine china, she would never use it.

It could definitely be worse.

Okay, well it's a Target registry, so... maybe she's going to register for her 'nice' stuff somewhere else?

It looks like they didn't register for any linen-type things, so I'm assuming they've registered elsewhere for some nicer stuff? Most of what's on the Target registry seems to be basic kitchen and laundry supplies. They don't seem to have a Bed Bath and Beyond registry either. Hmm...

Does anyone know if John lives with his dad or has an apartment? He's nice looking but for some reason he looks like a big doofus in some of those photos. Maybe Alyssa actually found a big fundie lite, virginal guy. He looks very innocent looking. Zach and Chad DO NOT have that innocent virginal look that "some" extreme fundie guys have. Maybe the fundie lite girls John grew up with were too aggressive or he didn't feel comfortable around them.

I can't find their Target registry.

It's the first link I posted on the page before this one (the blue hyperlink, not their wedding page).

The Alyssa Bates with a registry for Target is from Indiana and is getting married on May 24, but the groom's name is Nathaniel.

Oh, where do you see the groom's name? I looked but couldn't find it. The location was why I originally assumed it wasn't 'our' Alyssa's registry, but then when Kelly said May 24, I just assumed I was wrong. So there's another Alyssa Bates getting married on exactly the same day? Wow! Edit: Nevermind, I see the other Alyssa on The Knot now... that's wild!

I can't edit my post to get rid of the link to the wrong registry, maybe the mods can?

Does anyone know if John lives with his dad or has an apartment? He's nice looking but for some reason he looks like a big doofus in some of those photos. Maybe Alyssa actually found a big fundie lite, virginal guy. He looks very innocent looking. Zach and Chad DO NOT have that innocent virginal look that "some" extreme fundie guys have. Maybe the fundie lite girls John grew up with were too aggressive or he didn't feel comfortable around them.

I agree. There're some fundie guys that don't really have a charisma. John is not bad looking, but he doesn't look too confident. He even looks a little gawky to me.

They got the wedding website up fast. Engagement date was January 16.

I have a feeling Alyssa has had that website locked and loaded for a couple months now :)

Archived