IGNORED

Alyssa Bates and John Webster Engagement (now confirmed)

xReems

What would Michelle do if one of Kelly's kids broke the 20 mark and none of hers did? If Alyssa had over 20 kids, I think Michelle would go mad and start shouting at her kids and their partners to procreate more...or at least guilt trip them heavily.

"God wants you to have more babies, and some of you just aren't pulling your weight. One of you, and I am not naming names, has been married for 15 years and only has five kids. Birth control is wrong, and if you use it you are killing babies, so stop killing my grandbabies and let them be born! You all had better be praying that the next one is twins!"

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget the sex talk. What these parents should be talking about with these super young and inexperienced couples is the reality of trying to forge a common life. They focus them so much on the "princess" day, when it is the day, week, month, and years after that are going to make or break a union.

Some Of those days are going to be hard. Boring. Stressful. There will be anger and hurt and frustration. Prayer is not going to make any of that go away. Neither will ignoring the difficulties. How can they in good conscience not prepare them for these realities in every marriage? Subpar educations, subpar socialization, subpar understanding of household management. And these people think they have something to teach the rest of the world about raising successful adults.

I'm sure they will get a copy of Gothard's anger management booklets. And if things get rough they can always watch the Advanced Seminar where Gothard tells married couples how to have the perfect marriage.

As a person around Alyssa's age [i turn 19 tomorrow], her love of all things wedding/princess has made me realise that school formals [proms, to those in the US/Canada] can serve an important purpose for young women. Whilst I certainly believe there are lots of things Alyssa, and other young people raised in ATI/IFB circles, miss out on [academics, solo travel, hobbies, work etc] formals and the like can really serve to satisfy the yearnings of some girls for those big 'princess' moments. When I was 17 I did my Debutante Ball [i think a 'Cotillion Ball' in the US?] and school formal [prom] with a month of eachother. At my school, and most schools in Australia, there is only of these events per class, upon graduation, so they are very special and highly anticipated. Whilst I do look forward to getting married one day, having these events has allowed me to have the big princess experience without making a huge commitment and lifestyle change. I wish Alyssa had the same chance to experience other formal events :( [not to mention the million other more important things in life]

Yes, we were talking before how much Alyssa would have rocked prom committee! I agree--they are allowed no real hobbies or activities to let out their teenage energy (sports, clubs, dances, summer camps) so I imagine the wedding becomes even more exciting to plan.

• 3 weeks later...
For those interested, links to Alyssa's registries:

http://www.target.com/RegistryGiftGiver ... noOfPings=

https://www.dillards.com/registry/ItemL ... istryCheck

It also says they're registered at Hobby Lobby, but the link just goes to a page about gift cards.

Wow, those bedroom and bathroom colors are quite, er, energetic.

Wow, those bedroom and bathroom colors are quite, er, energetic.

She' not shy about color or price. Maybe her future MIL suggested some of those pricier items for his family to purchase!

She' not shy about color or price. Maybe her future MIL suggested some of those pricier items for his family to purchase!

I didn't see anything particularly pricey on the registries. More expensive than poor Gothardites generally give at cake and punch weddings? Probably. But nothing extravagant or super-expensive. Their registry looks the most normal of any of the fundy registries I've perused. I don't care for some of her color choices, but I didn't see anything ridiculous. No snack foods or pregnancy tests.

Her color schemes remind me of the stuff you see in dorm rooms. To add to that, Xhilaration and Room Essentials, two of the main brands she's registered for, were both created to be geared towards teenagers and those just moving out on their own.

It kind of just drives home to me how young Alyssa is. If she'd grown up in a normal home, she'd be living in a dorm or with a couple of girlfriends.

I didn't see anything particularly pricey on the registries. More expensive than poor Gothardites generally give at cake and punch weddings? Probably. But nothing extravagant or super-expensive. Their registry looks the most normal of any of the fundy registries I've perused. I don't care for some of her color choices, but I didn't see anything ridiculous. No snack foods or pregnancy tests.

And no Sharpies ala Deanna from LiaS.

I hope Kelly doesn't get pregnant with one of her daughters or DIL like J'Chelle did. Let them have the spotlight for once. You're done having babies. Enjoy your grandkids.

I think it's nice that she put hot pink and teal items on the registry instead of just the generic gender-neutral ATI-standard beige, burgundy, navy blue, cream, etc.

I hope Kelly doesn't get pregnant with one of her daughters or DIL like J'Chelle did. Let them have the spotlight for once. You're done having babies. Enjoy your grandkids.

I think they are safe. Kelly is 47. Chance of pregnancy at 45 is .5% percent, but clearly higher for Mrs. Bates because she got pregnant at 44. At 47 its extremely unlikely she will fall pregnant, and even if she did it would likely end in miscarriage. I won't say its impossible until she hits 50, but super fertile doesn't mean jack if she's hit menopause.

I like her colors! She'll be living in Florida, they fit. I also don't think her items are expensive at all. I've seen many registries where 1 comforter is $500 or a wine glass is $100+.

It seems they are in love with weddings and not actual relationships. Why do the need to have 500 plus guests? I think that is less than modest. They may be better off having a small party of like under 50 and save the money. For myself, we had a wedding at my parents house with around 30 guests. I couldn't even think of 500 people to invite.

They need to have 500 guests because they all have huge families. The guests add up quickly when you're inviting Mr. & Mrs. Doe and all 12 of their children.

I'm glad to see her pick colors that go with her age. I was quite happy it wasn't a Maxwellian beige registry. It fits her age and if she's ever going to get to enjoy the bright colors now is the time to do it.

I'm glad to see her pick colors that go with her age. I was quite happy it wasn't a Maxwellian beige registry. It fits her age and if she's ever going to get to enjoy the bright colors now is the time to do it.

I agree. I was just thinking that Steve Maxwell would so not approve of all that colour.

I genuinely like her colors! I'm happy she got what she wanted, I'm curious of what she will choose for the dress. Does anybody know what the colors are going to be at the wedding? Erin choice was blue, seeing Alyssa's fondness with color I hope she chooses something fun and spunky! :D

Glad to see they're coffee fans.

Some of the stuff does look young, but they're both still very young. If that's what they want, then fine. They never had the fun of buying matchy stuff for their dorm

If Alyssa were not born into fundie doom she would have gone from planning the prom to moving into the dorm. She would have had the chance to buy all this fun stuff & live with friends. She'd end up in a sorority & be a frat sweetheart. Instead, she's getting married at 18/19 and getting ready to play house with someone she's never been alone with in her life.

If Alyssa were not born into fundie doom she would have gone from planning the prom to moving into the dorm. She would have had the chance to buy all this fun stuff & live with friends. She'd end up in a sorority & be a frat sweetheart. Instead, she's getting married at 18/19 and getting ready to play house with someone she's never been alone with in her life.

Yep, my thoughts while looking at the registry were "wow, that looks like my freshman dorm room". Its totally appropriate for her age, but that is just not an age we are used to seeing people get married.

I like her colors! She'll be living in Florida, they fit. I also don't think her items are expensive at all. I've seen many registries where 1 comforter is $500 or a wine glass is $100+.
"Expensive" for fundie families with a gazillion kids living on one income! Her registry certainly "expensive" in general.

Archived