IGNORED

Alyssa Bates and John Webster Engagement (now confirmed)

xReems

Is Jordan older? Wow, all these older virgins getting married means there is hope for Sarah M. Olivia's dress is lovely. Seems like Princess Kate's wedding dress style has rubbed off in fundie land. Looking forward to seeing what style Alyssa will wear. Hope it's NOTHING like her sister's dress. Not saying Erin's dress is ugly. Just wishing something totally different for Alyssa :)

Jordan is older. I think John is 24? I don't think that either Jordan or Olivia are really "older". In their engagement post, Olivia's sister (who married maybe about 2 years ago or so?) goes on about how time flies and how she can't believe her younger sister is old enough to be married now. So I guess they are in their 20s.

I really like her dress, too. It is modest but "different".

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, didn't they get engaged almost at the same time as John and Alyssa? That was quick! Makes J&A's 5 month+ engagement seem long.

I'm glad to see lace sleeves on a fundie bride! I'm always wondering if they're okay with those, and had hoped Alyssa might go with them since she's obsessed with Kate Middleton (if her Pinterest is any indication). I'm excited to gawk at another Bates wedding soon!

Wow, didn't they get engaged almost at the same time as John and Alyssa? That was quick! Makes J&A's 5 month+ engagement seem long.

I'm glad to see lace sleeves on a fundie bride! I'm always wondering if they're okay with those, and had hoped Alyssa might go with them since she's obsessed with Kate Middleton (if her Pinterest is any indication). I'm excited to gawk at another Bates wedding soon!

I think they became engaged when John and Alyssa started officially courting. I could be wrong though.

I love lace sleeves too, and see so many nice options on pinterest that I never understand why more fashionable fundie girls don't choose them. (There are lined sleeves as well for those who are uber-modest). I had sort of forgotten about Alyssa's wedding, but yes I'm really excited too! Love a good wedding gawk like nothing else.

May 24 is a busy day for weddings - the J&A wedding, and also the nuptuals of Kimye!

The day before, is the day I'm getting married so I know I will have a lot to catch up on! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think that Alyssa's wedding might also be broadcast on TLC?

Kelly's sister (who owns a flower shop and did the flowers for both Erin's and Zach's wedding) posted this on her Facebook:

Watch us on TLC's

hit show 19 and counting on Tuesday Night April 15th at 9pm.

Gallery Florist and Gifts, Inc. did all of the flowers for the televised event.

Gallery Florist and Gifts, Inc. will also be doing the flowers on another upcoming televised event. We will let you know when the next one airs.

I really don't see how what colors or styles someone chooses for their home or wedding has any relation at all to if they are mature enough to be married. That's just silly. Styles and tastes vary by individual, not to mention by era. Was every woman in the mod sixties too immature because she picked out hot pink throw pillows? If she lived in a more beige era is she automatically somehow more worldly and sophisticated?

Agreed. Heck, look at the pink bathrooms that were all the rage in the 50s. Why were they a hit? Because Mamie Eisenhower decorated the White House bathroom that way (it was dubbed the "Pink Palace"). And you can't tell me she wasn't a mature woman/unfit to be married.

Agreed. Heck, look at the pink bathrooms that were all the rage in the 50s. Why were they a hit? Because Mamie Eisenhower decorated the White House bathroom that way (it was dubbed the "Pink Palace"). And you can't tell me she wasn't a mature woman/unfit to be married.

I explained myself on page 15 in response to MrsS2004. I'll copy and paste it here since it seemed to have been overlooked:

Um, my very first sentence was "I know there are people who just happen to like pink and bright colors and it's not a reflection of their maturity." So yeah, I'm not saying that your taste in things dictates whether you are ready for marriage. I'm saying that the motivation behind the SAHDs' purchases shows they might not be ready for marriage.

It looks like Erin is recreating the bedroom she wanted when she was little because she never had any space of her own. I would suggest that perhaps living on her own for a few years and having that privacy and space to herself might be a better option than running to a guy and immediately popping out babies. Alyssa's teenage enthusiasm is directed to her wedding decorations when I think it might have been better directed to something like a high school prom or talent show. Then when she was planning her wedding she could focus on whether this is really the guy for her and if she is ready, rather than be distracted by the excitement of getting to wear a princess dress and come up with colors for a big party.

I know Erin living on her own and Alyssa getting to go to school and have real hobbies isn't going to happen, and that's another fault I find in the whole SAHD movement. If a grown woman with an education and independence wants a pink canopy bed and a big traditional white wedding, more power to her. But that's because she is choosing those things because she enjoys them, not because they are the only outlet for her childhood issues.

Archived