IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

I would find it strange if they were posting tons of updates. They're probably really busy with the wedding. By the way, Zach got just as many wedding prep posts leading up to the event as Erin: that is, none. They both got posts about their engagements, but Kelly answered questions about the weddings themselves in the comments, not in actual posts.

Despite the rumours brought here by that friend-of-a-friend of the Bateses (which I'm not saying are false), Kelly has always spoken positively (at least on the blog) of Zach's new more laid back approach to courtship.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from The Bates Fan Page on FB:

"Here's a message that we got considering a message for Zach's wedding!

'We are going to try to film he wedding and post it online as a web show. Your help to promote it would be great! I have tried to reach out to you before, not sure if you got my messages.

Matthew Hightower

Series Producer, United Bates of America'"

I always thought it was traditional, at least in the southern US, that the bride's family pays for (and therefore is more involved with/has more say in) the wedding. So I am not surprised that the Bates aren't talking as much about their son's wedding than their daughter's. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they WERE as involved in Zach and Whitney's wedding as they were in Erin and Chad's.

Speaking of Zach, I am sorry that I missed this article back in February in the Knoxville paper: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/feb/1 ... -anderson/

[i found this while looking for--and not finding--any wedding or engagement announcements for the Bates. Is it usual for fundies to not put wedding announcements in their local (secular) newspapers?]

Let's not forget that Zach, being the oldest, spent much of his childhood in the "pre-Duggar-Expansion" house and that thing looked SMALL, even for a small family, much less their HUGE one. I think it will make him think twice about having that many kids. His parents can romanticize all they want about living in a small house, but they also had their own bedroom... Mom and Dad weren't sharing with 8 other people.

Yeah, I believe the boys were all crammed in attic. On cots and short twins, with their clothes in there, too.

I doubt Zach wants that, even if he has his own room.

'We are going to try to film he wedding and post it online as a web show. Your help to promote it would be great! I have tried to reach out to you before, not sure if you got my messages.

Matthew Hightower

If we can assume that Zach and Whitney want privacy and producers want profit, then what's the incentive here?

I don't know about where the Bateses live, but it's unusual for anyone here to put engagement/wedding announcements in the paper. Some people do but it's not the norm. It's pretty expensive.

Matthew Hightower

Yay. So, they take suggestions seriously. I should ask for royalites. LOL So, kidding. :cracking-up:

If we can assume that Zach and Whitney want privacy and producers want profit, then what's the incentive here?

Fans like us want to see. :D Besides, it is now a trend for people to put their wedding to include the preparation online nowadays.

I hope they feel no obligation to their fans or like they have to make their wedding public just because his parents exploited him on television for money.

I hope they feel no obligation to their fans or like they have to make their wedding public just because his parents exploited him on television for money.

Yep, this. While I admit I would like to see the wedding, at the same time, Zach and Whit are entitled to their privacy on such an important day if that is what they truly want. And I suspect Zach became more camera shy after the courtship fail; filming his courtship proposal was a terrible idea but hey, his parents got money from it.

I don't know about where the Bateses live, but it's unusual for anyone here to put engagement/wedding announcements in the paper. Some people do but it's not the norm. It's pretty expensive.

Where I grew up, (Texas-Louisana) it is customary to put both engagement and wedding announcements in the paper. I wrote for the Wedding/Engagement/Anniversary announcement section of my local paper and announcements were $20 for black and white, $50 for color and $30 for both engagement and wedding announcements if you paid up front.

I suspect Kelly is already struggling. While I don't follow the Bates blog that much, it seems Kelly is posting very little considering this is her oldest son getting married. Yes, Zach's engagement overlapped Erin's, but still it seems interesting. Maybe it's according to Zach's wishes, and if so, good for him but still this is the mother of the groom here.

I am personally glad for Zach and Whit that the wedding won't be fodder for TLC simply because they deserve to have their happy day private.

probably so.

I just wonder if Whitney realizes what she is marrying into.Are Gil n Kelly and fellow fundies/friends of the family going to be ok with it if she and Zach don't want to pop out a baby every yr,or even every other yr? or if they just want 2-3 kids,max? Is she going to get tired of the conservative dressing,even if it is just for family functions? If they want to send their kids to school,will they get a lot of flack for it? I could go on and on,but I just wonder.It is going to take Zach standing up to them to make sure they have some peace,imo.

In small Southern towns, it's still customary to put wedding and engagement announcements in the paper. Usually, the engagement announcement just has the names of the bride- and groom-elect, the names of their parents and where and when the wedding will be held if that has been decided on. The wedding announcement is much more elaborate. It may tell where the bride and groom went to school, what Greek societies they belonged to, who the couple's grandparents are, the names of everyone in the wedding party, a description of the bride's gown, where the reception was held and where the couple honeymooned and where they will make their home. (Town only, of course.) At times, they may even write up all the showers and the rehearsal dinner. Elaborate wedding announcements are not as common as they used to be though.

Btw, when I was a kid, the wedding section of the Greenville News was whites-only. You never saw a black bride in there. Same for the obits.

I am curious as to the basis of what seems to be a general consensus on here that Zach is going to reject his fundamental upbringing once he and Whitney get married. Will all of you who feel that way be disappointed when and if it doesn't happen?

In small Southern towns, it's still customary to put wedding and engagement announcements in the paper. Usually, the engagement announcement just has the names of the bride- and groom-elect, the names of their parents and where and when the wedding will be held if that has been decided on. The wedding announcement is much more elaborate. It may tell where the bride and groom went to school, what Greek societies they belonged to, who the couple's grandparents are, the names of everyone in the wedding party, a description of the bride's gown, where the reception was held and where the couple honeymooned and where they will make their home. (Town only, of course.) At times, they may even write up all the showers and the rehearsal dinner. Elaborate wedding announcements are not as common as they used to be though.

Btw, when I was a kid, the wedding section of the Greenville News was whites-only. You never saw a black bride in there. Same for the obits.

That's about how it was when I lived an hour from Greenville (1998-2000). Engagement announcements were in the paper the Sunday before the wedding, with a studio photo of the bride and groom. Wedding announcements were in the paper on Sunday, the day after the wedding, with a photo of the bride in her gown (taken weeks before). There were very few Black brides in the paper.

Reading between the lines was the best part.

Wedding preparations are in full effect. The church is decorated for Christmas and they had the rehearsal. I only realized tonight that I was following Whitney's younger brother on instagram. It's almost exclusively dedicated to his girlfriend who almost exclusively wears short shorts. He's a christian but he goes to a real school and they all celebrated Halloween. He posted a family pic 18 weeks ago that said "Pray for this family we are going through rough times" whatever that means. A few pics of Whit and of Zach but nothing interesting. He works with Zach doing tree trimming. The Owens have a big TV in their living room and an xbox. Something sweet: his cousin just had a baby and her name is Laklee. That's the name of the sister who died in the car accident (Remember Whitney and many of her siblings were adopted after the Owens lost a daughter in a car accident in 2002). I thought it was touching. Anyhoo. Whitney is coming from a very fundie LIGHT background.

On instagram he is brandonowens3

Two videos from today of music playing at the wedding reception.

and you can view it online here: http://web.stagram.com/n/brandonowens3/

The Roberts are also there, Daisy was "chaperoning" Alyssa and John earlier at Hobby Lobby where they were buying wedding supplies, and Tori was making signs.

Josh Duggar is also in town; he posted a pic from the Bates home of him playing ping pong.

They are posted in Tiny Town's newspaper, but you have to pay for it.

I am curious as to the basis of what seems to be a general consensus on here that Zach is going to reject his fundamental upbringing once he and Whitney get married. Will all of you who feel that way be disappointed when and if it doesn't happen?

The fact that she started wearing skirts only after a meeting with the Bates family, is quite telling. She will be expected to tow to family line. Otherwise, Zach wouldn't be allowed to marry her. Despite outward appearances, Zach is still accountable to his father even if he holds public office and has his own business. Of all the Bates kids, my bet is on Alyssa going fundie-lite or conservative Christian. I predict an engagement announcement shortly after Zach and Whitney's wedding.

The one time that I can think of someone in our age group had a wedding announcement was when we went to DC for the wedding of one of my husband's friends. It slowly dawned on us that the bride came from money (the wedding was at the Four Seasons during cherry blossom season), and I later found out that their wedding announcement was in the New York Times.

The fact that she started wearing skirts only after a meeting with the Bates family, is quite telling. She will be expected to tow to family line. Otherwise, Zach wouldn't be allowed to marry her. Despite outward appearances, Zach is still accountable to his father even if he holds public office and has his own business. Of all the Bates kids, my bet is on Alyssa going fundie-lite or conservative Christian. I predict an engagement announcement shortly after Zach and Whitney's wedding.

Agreed that starting to wear skirts is telling but whether she will tow the family line or is just going along for awhile, only time will tell. No doubt Gil and Kelly will expect her to but whether Zach's going to go along with that once he's out of the house, once again only time will tell. He may turn the idea of "headship" around on Gil and tell him to butt out.

My guess that Zach's going to go more fundie lite or conservative Christian is based on a couple of things. He's the oldest in the family and will remember life with a lesser no. of siblings, the small house was less crowded, similar to Josh Duggar. He's worked outside the family businesses, he's traveled, even the experience of holding public office is something he's doing himself. In short, he's done things on his own as much as could probably be allowed with his family's fundie lifestyle.

He has a history of liking less fundie girls who have something going for themselves. Sarah Reith had strong musical talents and a career with the family band. Whit's going to school in a medical billing program and working at Sonic. Neither of them were/are fundie SAHD's sitting around for Prince Charming. Whit was reported as pursuing Zach and he turned around and caught her. That says something about him. He's attracted to more independent minded, more confident young women.

It may take a couple of years for Zach to make any real moves towards a less fundie life. In addition to getting married, he's going to be living under his own roof for the first time ever and it may take time for him to decide what's going to work for Zach (and Whit) and not what his parents raised him to want. Something that he may have done already before marriage if he weren't fundie. So if it doesn't happen right away I for one won't despair but if he goes less fundie immediately, I won't be surprised at all.

Are there any pictures of the newlyweds yet?

I haven't seen any. Anna just posted a pic of Josh at the church. Its a much smaller church and it appears a lot of the fundies who were at Erin's wedding did not come to this one.

Even Laura (masiespace) did not attend.

Also, the IBLP Christmas Conference is happening this weekend (interesting timing) so I think Gothard will be there and not at the wedding.

plus.google.com/photos/112257250934851966468/albums/5955806440779926225

Archived