IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

fa5eee0c64e911e390220ea2e16bf06c_6.jpg

Josh wore jeans to this wedding too. Also I don't know why he was taking pictures/recording? According to instagram Erin's photographer didn't shoot Zach's wedding. Whitney choosing red was a good idea I guess because the church is very festive.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what just struck me as odd while looking at the picture of Zak and Whitney *Bates*? The Bates and other fundies are much more controlling of their daughters than their sons, so as the children get married, the grandchildren who are actually named Bates (Duggars/ whatevers...) will be more likely to be fundie lite, or at least fundie lite earlier.

There are some pics here: alittlepeaceinourheaven.blogspot.com. Looks like JD was a groomsman. (This is the blog of a family that goes to their church.)

Yeah, I thought the black-dressed Bates sisters might be bridesmaids and the little sisters flower girls. So much black is unexpected, but probably huge on Pinterest, and offset the maid of honor's dress well, so I don't really have any complaints. They looked great. TBH, I like the simplicity here more than Erin's more lavish (and likely TLC bankrolled) affair.

NEVER MIND. Mystery solved. :embarrassed:

eta: I don't see Michael anywhere. I assume she sewed some of the dresses, but she really seems to have kept to the background for this wedding.

YES!!! Whit went for the Bolero each of us suggested for Erin's dress... And she has a small, but very appropriate modesty panel in there (which may just as well be a part of the dress, I don't know). Very tasteful so far.

So who do we spot? I see the Benessa, Cherin of course, Alyssa and John (the manly man who gave her his jacket :roll: :lol: ) anyone else noteworthy?

While we're at it...can't we leave Josh and his jeans alone? I don't know, he's a douche, he puts his foot in it many times, but he's been brought up by Boob and Jchelle, what do we expect? He got a big dose of blanket training, spankings, was raised to be the "leader" (ugh!), received the largest part of the indoctrination and lived the most part of his young life under control and stiffness. He's never had the chance to go through puberty, so he's only now finding out who he is and what he wants to do. If that means he's wearing jeans to weddings, then....as long as he's not the groom or groomsman, let him wear his jeans.

uh idk,I mean I think Josh gets the jeans thing from Jim Bob.

I've never commented on it,so this is all I'll say.

I don't think it's right,he looks like he's showing up as more of a casual observer than an invited guest.But maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned,idk? It's just that I've always seen ppl dress for weddings,which means a nice dress or skirt for women and girls (not jean skirts) and at least a dress shirt (no tie needed) and dress pants for men.Iow business casual,I guess you could call it.That is just a matter of respect,imo.

John David looks a lot like Jim Bob; I didn't realize how much.

I wonder if Josh was actually asked to video the wedding. He's definitely pissed people off before with intrusive and unwanted videoing. I've seen him in action and it's really obnoxious.

Agree that given Gil's position in ATI it will be hard. I am guessing it will depend on how much Zach has had enough that he is willing to go against the grain. It's possible that between support from Whit and possibly her family, he can see that a family can be good and for lack of a better term, godly, and still be more mainstream. IIRC, her father is a pastor so that could be a possible support system for him. Zach is part of another family now.

Looking at the wedding pictures, I suspect that Whit is not totally fundie, at least not yet. That is a strapless dress with a shrug and very form fitting. Good for her.

I guess Zach is sooo relieved now not to live with his controlling family anymore and I am pretty sure he was just not only looking forward to get married because he loves Whit but also it means much more freedom for him. It always seemed to me that he doesn't really like the fundie lifestyle of his parents.

If the rumors are true Whit must have known that Kelly and Gil thought that she was not the kind of woman they expected Zach to marry. Whit wears skirts and for me it seems that she tries somehow to please Zach's parents. But as much in love she might be with Zach, she can't completely forget her upbringing and independent life before she met Zach. She seems to be close to her (mainstream) parents and she looks very confident. A formfitting dress like hers shows that she is not too much into the fundie lifestyle and somehow I doubt she ever will be.

What is with John-David (and in this case Andy also) thinking it's funny to pretend to loose the ring. This is the second wedding he has been done this. Hopefully the bride and groom don't mind otherwise he may not be asked to be in another wedding. Whit's dress is very pretty defiantly more low cut than anything a Bates or Duggar would wear. It looks like they had the wedding reception at a separate venue not just at the church reception hall. I wonder if they had music and a real meal as opposed to chicken salad and cheese.

uh idk,I mean I think Josh gets the jeans thing from Jim Bob.

I've never commented on it,so this is all I'll say.

I don't think it's right,he looks like he's showing up as more of a casual observer than an invited guest.But maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned,idk? It's just that I've always seen ppl dress for weddings,which means a nice dress or skirt for women and girls (not jean skirts) and at least a dress shirt (no tie needed) and dress pants for men.Iow business casual,I guess you could call it.That is just a matter of respect,imo.

I've seen a lot of people wear jeans to weddings. It's not my thing, but if the bride & groom are ok with less formal wear, why not? I've seen backyard bbq weddings with people in jeans and church weddings with people in jeans. Personally, I didn't have a wedding/reception wear jeans were ok, but I really think as long as the invitation didn't say "semi-formal" or above, it's fine. A lot of the people looked to be wearing clothes that were way more casual than semi-formal, including Josh.

I guess Zach is sooo relieved now not to live with his controlling family anymore and I am pretty sure he was just not only looking forward to get married because he loves Whit but also it means much more freedom for him. It always seemed to me that he doesn't really like the fundie lifestyle of his parents.

If the rumors are true Whit must have known that Kelly and Gil thought that she was not the kind of woman they expected Zach to marry. Whit wears skirts and for me it seems that she tries somehow to please Zach's parents. But as much in love she might be with Zach, she can't completely forget her upbringing and independent life before she met Zach. She seems to be close to her (mainstream) parents and she looks very confident. A formfitting dress like hers shows that she is not too much into the fundie lifestyle and somehow I doubt she ever will be.

Given the rumors about Kelly and Gil not approving of Whitney at first, I suspect wearing the skirts was to please them and perhaps at Zach's suggestion. He probably didn't want his controlling parents shooting down another courtship over an issue like skirts. So "go along until we get married and then back to jeans / pants if you want" is probably happening here but she'll make sure to wear skirts for family events. Also the fact that her parents are more mainstream might have Kelly and Gil worried that Zach will go more fundie lite and that might have been another reason for disapproval. With Chad, his family are ATI heavy hitters so no worries there.

YES!!! Whit went for the Bolero each of us suggested for Erin's dress... And she has a small, but very appropriate modesty panel in there (which may just as well be a part of the dress, I don't know). Very tasteful so far.

I was happy to see the bolero and that the dress was not highly altered (there were probably some alterations but for fit). Also wondered about the modesty / lace panel. Matched very well so one can't be sure if it was already there or added. But seeing that Whit wasn't afraid to go for the bolero and the much more form fitting wedding dress shows she's not that fundie. You can bet Zach didn't go "nike!".

From the blog with the pictures:

The getaway car! The original car that they were supposed to leave in was all wrapped up with Saran Wrap and who knows whatever else was done to it. BUT Zach and Whitney outsmarted the pranksters. At first Zach pretended to start taking off the Saran Wrap, but then another car pulled up, they got in, waved good-bye, and the brand new Mr. and Mrs. Zach Bates were off!

Good for Zach! I can't stand the Duggar/fundie "tradition" of wrecking the car (basically, I hate wedding traditions that resemble hazing), so I'm glad that he found a way to get around it.

I love how the wedding itself was funny, with a few jokes here and there. It seemed like a laid back wedding compared to Erin's royal fundie wedding.

I LOVE whit's dress! It's modest but not to the point where the alterations make it look odd. I'm glad she didn't add an odd panel to make her chest more covered but instead added that lace and covered her shoulders with the bolero. I love the bridesmaid dress too.

More pics here:

bates-family-photos.tumblr.com

What is with John-David (and in this case Andy also) thinking it's funny to pretend to loose the ring. This is the second wedding he has been done this. Hopefully the bride and groom don't mind otherwise he may not be asked to be in another wedding. Whit's dress is very pretty defiantly more low cut than anything a Bates or Duggar would wear. It looks like they had the wedding reception at a separate venue not just at the church reception hall. I wonder if they had music and a real meal as opposed to chicken salad and cheese.

I'll be honest---I'd be absolutely mortified if our Best Man had done this it at my wedding. I don't think it's cute or funny in the least, and I had a pretty relaxed wedding. I found this stunt in particular to be ironic, as they pretty much made a mockery of prayer.

I love how the wedding itself was funny, with a few jokes here and there. It seemed like a laid back wedding compared to Erin's royal fundie wedding.

I LOVE whit's dress! It's modest but not to the point where the alterations make it look odd. I'm glad she didn't add an odd panel to make her chest more covered but instead added that lace and covered her shoulders with the bolero. I love the bridesmaid dress too.

More pics here:

bates-family-photos.tumblr.com

Agreed I love that Zach seems to have an ok sense of humor. I like weddings/ceremonies where people aren't afraid to let their hair down and have a bit of fun. My future wedding is going to be quite the rager! Also love this pic of Zach running down the aisle carrying Whit. Looks like someone's excited for the honeymoon :whistle:

25.media.tumblr.com/01d457114729b13ab84a134da4ca2d2f/tumblr_mxufllohwX1s1nwhmo1_1280.png

At my best friend's earlier this year, her sister turned us and whispered that the guy's wedding band was in the hotel room, which was on the other side of the resort. My friend ended up putting her brother's ring on her now husband's finger. It was pretty hilarious and she still laughs about it.

During Hindu ceremonies, so many pranks occur, which I want. There are times when the bride's brothers lift her up really high to prevent the groom from putting the garland around her neck or the bride's sister demanding money from the groom before the car leaves or if he wants his shoes back, etc.

I think it's personal preference, honestly. Some would find the pranks humerus and others would be mortified if pranks occurred. I personally didn't find any offense to the groomsman praying for the ring. I don't think he was making a mockery to praying but rather, just something to lighten the mood.

At least chad and Erin didn't walk up the alter and do a dramatic kiss. We've seen that occur with josh and anna at pecan's and Priscilla's wedding and pecan and Priscilla doing the same thing at Adam and Valerie wedding.

I think the biggest difference between the Duggars and Bates, is that Gil & Kelly have accepted their children as adults and are letting them move into the next phase of life. Though they won't let them live on their own, they seem to be ok with letting them "court/date" and marry. Boob & Mullet are to engrained in being "19 Kids and Counting". Their adult "children" are more "props" for them. Plus, they keep the household running and raise the younger children so B&M don't have to. I know Jessa is "courting", but I still don't believe she'll actually marry this guy. Or, it will be a very long courtship. As a boy/man, Josh can drag his family along the gravy train. When Jessa or any girl/woman marries, she'll have to follow her husband. He will be under no obligation to follow the gravy train around the country. Plus, he may actually have a job so he can support his family.

Total speculation, but I bet that wasn't their first kiss.

I don't think for a moment that was their first kiss either. Zach and Whit didn't exactly meet and court like a typical fundie courtship so it's highly likely that they kissed before but at the wedding, it's still gotta be that first kiss. It didn't look awkward to me just a very quick proper kiss. But I didn't think Zach would be the type to be all over her in front of everyone.

While I hate everything about these fundie weddings and think everything about them is tacky, I also think they know their audience - everyone there probably thought that was beyond hilarious, families and bride and groom included (and hey, it might make them less nervous). They probably never thought the ring was actually lost, and the disco ball was a nice/tacky touch.

What I think is ACTUALLY funny is how Zach and Whitney planned around the dumb car decorating/saran-wrapping and had an alternate ride! Now that's clever! I'm sick of that tradition more than any other.

From the blog with the pictures:

Good for Zach! I can't stand the Duggar/fundie "tradition" of wrecking the car (basically, I hate wedding traditions that resemble hazing), so I'm glad that he found a way to get around it.

One advantage of attending a few fundie weddings before his, no doubt. So he knew what the typical pranks would be and probably who would do it.

I bet Zach wasn't letting anyone get in his way, between carrying Whit down the aisle and arranging for an alternative getaway car.

Both he and Whit looked so very happy; they came across as a lot more joyful than your typical fundie couple.

I don't think for a moment that was their first kiss either. Zach and Whit didn't exactly meet and court like a typical fundie courtship so it's highly likely that they kissed before but at the wedding, it's still gotta be that first kiss. It didn't look awkward to me just a very quick proper kiss. But I didn't think Zach would be the type to be all over her in front of everyone.

I agree! They both look very relaxed!

I always thought that having my first kiss in front of my parents and everyone I knew would be horrible. First kisses are usually awkward enough without being gawked at.

Archived