IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

I'll be honest---I'd be absolutely mortified if our Best Man had done this it at my wedding. I don't think it's cute or funny in the least, and I had a pretty relaxed wedding. I found this stunt in particular to be ironic, as they pretty much made a mockery of prayer.

The best man at my wedding actually DID forget the ring. He left it at the hotel 2 towns over. The wedding had to be delayed, and the church wedding organiser came down to start chewing me out over it. My father told her exactly where she could stick it and that it wasn't my fault, but honestly. Losing the ring is NOT funny. I hate jokes like that. But if it was funny to Zach, then I guess to each their own.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@katydid, good on your dad for telling off the wedding organiser. What kind of person would start to chew out a bride at her wedding?

I suspect Zach was expecting it and was OK with him. If it was going to be an annoyance, he might have headed things off at the pass considering he did anticipate the whole saran-wrapped car prank. If it went too far, maybe he had alternative to that one too.

Gotta say the "losing" of the ring and saran-wrapped car thing isn't specifically fundy; I've seen the same thing at many mainstream and non-religious weddings. The only noted difference is that instead of balloons, the "get-away car" is usually decorated with inflated condoms :D

You can pretty much be sure that that wasn't their first kiss; it sounds like they basically were dating (or at least Zach was spending every lunch hour where Whitney worked) and then presented this to their parents, and so the official "courtship" began.

I don't think for a moment that was their first kiss either. Zach and Whit didn't exactly meet and court like a typical fundie courtship so it's highly likely that they kissed before but at the wedding, it's still gotta be that first kiss. It didn't look awkward to me just a very quick proper kiss. But I didn't think Zach would be the type to be all over her in front of everyone.

I've wondered if the wedding wasn't filmed or streamed because there wouldn't be and couldn't be that 'precious' moment when it was announced to all that Zach and Whit had saved their first kiss for marriage.

It's possible that Zach saved his first kiss and, then, that Z&W saved their first kiss, but I'd bet that Whit has at least kissed a boy and maybe more. Wasn't she a teenager when she joined her adoptive family?

If John David really had a knack for fundie wedding humor, he'd shout at that precious moment when it's said that bride and groom have saved their first kiss for their wedding day, "I've kissed her!"

Or, better yet, "I've kissed him"!

I love that they beat that stupid saran wrap prank. I bet Josh lead the saran wrapping brigade too.

Even Laura (masiespace) did not attend.

Also, the IBLP Christmas Conference is happening this weekend (interesting timing) so I think Gothard will be there and not at the wedding.

plus.google.com/photos/112257250934851966468/albums/5955806440779926225

It makes me wonder if they planned it on purposed this way, so that there would be less Gothard and less of a gathering of fundies who they only met once at a conference. Instead, it was just people that Zach and Whitney know and love.

Whitney's dress is beautiful. The neckline is definitely lower than most of the fundie gowns we talk about here. I also like that she used a shrug instead of the weird under tshirt thing.

If John David really had a knack for fundie wedding humor, he'd shout at that precious moment when it's said that bride and groom have saved their first kiss for their wedding day, "I've kissed her!"

Or, better yet, "I've kissed him"!

That would be hilarious :D

I don't think for a moment that was their first kiss either. Zach and Whit didn't exactly meet and court like a typical fundie courtship so it's highly likely that they kissed before but at the wedding, it's still gotta be that first kiss. It didn't look awkward to me just a very quick proper kiss. But I didn't think Zach would be the type to be all over her in front of everyone.

Interesting.

I don't think it was the first kiss, either.

I find it super interesting that JD was picked as the best man. I knew he and Zach were close, but not that close.

I didn't expect JD to be best man, either. Sure, JDs personality seems to like Zach's: calm and not too crazy when it comes to religion. So it makes kind of sense that he picked JD as the best man. I just hope that Zach has some other close friends at all and didn't chose JD because his parents expected him to do so.

I doubt Gil and Kelly expected Zach to pick JD. If anything they probably expected him to pick Lawson or Nathan.

I doubt Gil and Kelly expected Zach to pick JD. If anything they probably expected him to pick Lawson or Nathan.

Kelly has posted several times that Zach and JD are best friends. She mentioned it recently that JD helped Zach get over his failed courtship with Sarah Reith.

Congratulations to Zach and Whitney! At least if they have tons of babes, she'll have health insurance.

I'm surprised at the groomsmen selection. Besides JD, there's Lawson and the three little brothers. What about Nathan and Trace? If Zach wanted to just pick 1-2 brothers he's closest to, that would make sense. But if he using 4 brothers, might as well use 6... Maybe Nathan and Trace were in charge of passing out the collection bucket to raise money for Zach's Hawaiian honeymoon?

I didn't expect JD to be best man, either. Sure, JDs personality seems to like Zach's: calm and not too crazy when it comes to religion. So it makes kind of sense that he picked JD as the best man. I just hope that Zach has some other close friends at all and didn't chose JD because his parents expected him to do so.

I don't know where people are getting that JD is the best man because he's standing below the main stage, with the maid of honor and another guy standing on the main stage - the one doing his fake praying for the lost ring in the blog photos, maybe Andy Leftwich or Lawson Bates? Seems that JD is just a groomsman.

Kelly has posted several times that Zach and JD are best friends. She mentioned it recently that JD helped Zach get over his failed courtship with Sarah Reith.

Congratulations to Zach and Whitney! At least if they have tons of babes, she'll have health insurance.

Oh, I know that. But usually fundies pick their brothers or brothers-in-law for that job. That's what surprises me the most about it.

Oh, I know that. But usually fundies pick their brothers or brothers-in-law for that job. That's what surprises me the most about it.

Completely random, but I wonder if JD is secretly (meaning TLC is not filming, not that his parents don't know) dating a local girl? It sucks that JD could technically do this, but you know Jana would never be allowed any of this freedom.

edited because I forgot a word.

Completely random, but I wonder if JD is secretly (meaning TLC is not filming, not that his parents don't know) dating a local girl? It sucks that JD could technically do this, but you know Jana would never be allowed any of this freedom.

edited because I forgot a word.

Very possible, or even a Bates girl. I've always thought he and Michael would be nice together.

The wedding kiss is more modest then most we have seen.

This is what leads me to believe that it's not their first kiss. I've always thought that there was a bit of 'Everyone's watching--we better do this up right and assure everyone of my masculinity!' as most Fundie-men go at chewing the lips off their wife's face for their first kiss. I also think they tend to copy the sort of fakey kisses that they've seen (limited) versions of on some movies--it's usually their only point of reference beyond their parents. (And who in their right mind is going to look to their parents on how a kiss should be?) Hence why it's sometimes accompanied by a goofy bride-dipping or musical accompaniment.

John David looks a lot like Jim Bob; I didn't realize how much.

He acts a lot like him too. He pulled another "Oh no, I lost the ring" stunt at this wedding. Not liking him very much based on this. It smacks of immaturity IMO, is not funny, and almost insulting to their religious beliefs to 'pray' for the ring to appear.

He acts a lot like him too. He pulled another "Oh no, I lost the ring" stunt at this wedding. Not liking him very much based on this. It smacks of immaturity IMO, is not funny, and almost insulting to their religious beliefs to 'pray' for the ring to appear.

Totally agree and the repetition of the same not funny stunts (including the saran-wrapped cars) shows a sad lack of creativity. I'm so glad Zach had the getaway car and hope the ones who played the prank had to clean up their own mess.

I'm surprised at the groomsmen selection. Besides JD, there's Lawson and the three little brothers. What about Nathan and Trace? If Zach wanted to just pick 1-2 brothers he's closest to, that would make sense. But if he using 4 brothers, might as well use 6... Maybe Nathan and Trace were in charge of passing out the collection bucket to raise money for Zach's Hawaiian honeymoon?

I thought that was weird too. He has Lawson and then completely skips Nathan & Trace to have Jackson, Warren & Isaiah unless they had some other role in the wedding. It looks like his best man was Andy Leftwich and then JD was either a groomsmen or co-best man.

Several people have suggested that Zach may be planning to escape ATI and his new in-laws may be good to turn to for support. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that maybe Whitney's parents had a sit-down with Zach and told him, "Son, you are a nice young man. We like you and obviously you love our daughter. But, that crazy ATI business must go. Look at us: we are a godly family, I am a pastor, we are good Christians. You can marry Whitney, but that ATI stuff has to go." Maybe Whit's parents have pressured Zach and Whit to go more mainstream.

I wonder if they did the typical fundie "passing of ownership" from the Dad to the groom.... :think: That could tell which direction they will go.

Archived