IGNORED

M is for Mama 18

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Marly said:

I live in a (officially)3-bedroom apartment. We have one toilet and one 'bathroom'(=shower + sink). Growing up, all houses I ever visited only had one full bathroom (toilet + shower or bath + sink), usually upstairs on the bedroom floor, and one toilet downstairs. When I met my SO 13 years ago and I visited his mom and stepdad's house (3 story house), that was the first house I've ever been in that had 2 full bathrooms + an extra toilet on the ground floor. However, the second bathroom wasn't in the original plan of house. The reason they had 2 full bathrooms is because the stepdad wanted one floor completely to himself and MIL, where my SO and his sister weren't allowed to go. They had to hire a contractor to add an extra bathroom.
Having two full bathrooms is still very much the exception. Having only one toilet in a multiple story house is also very much an exception though. And in apartments that only have one toilet, the toilet and bathroom are usually separate (so no issues of someone needing to shower but not being able to because someone else is occupying the toilet for an inconsiderate amount of time and vice versa).  

I grew up in a family of five in a house with one bathroom (but two toilets total in the house), and it was never an issue. (There were a lot of issues with my mom not respecting closed doors, but that had nothing to do with there only being one bathroom😅). Sure, we had to coordinate who showered when, but that was never a problem. We all communicated with each other. (I can understand it's difficult when you don't communicate or when there's one person who feels their wants and needs always outweigh that of others). And it made the switch to student housing (where usually you only have one bathroom and one toilet as long as there's no more than 7 people) a lot easier, as I was used to having a 'shower schedule'.

Now, this is not to say I don't understand or see the need for more than one full bathroom. When you have enough room and enough money, and you are with 3+ people in a home, it makes sense to me. The fact is though that houses here are generally build smaller than standard suburb houses in the USA, +over 4/5ths of the country is too low for basements to be an option. So people generally have to choose between either a guest/hobby/workfromhome room (and even that is a luxury on the current market) or an extra bathroom. As a consequence, people with 2+ plus children who have the option of putting an addition on to their house will sooner opt for an extra bedroom than an extra bathroom.

In that situation, I too would opt for another bedroom over a bathroom. As long as the house already has 2 toilets. 

• Upvote 3

I nannied for a family with a large house (7,000 sq ft), and they had 7 bathrooms, 4 full and 3 half. The two daughters each had en suite bathrooms, the two sons shared a Jack and Jill bathroom, and then there was the primary bathroom. The second floor had one half in the hallway and the first floor had two halfs, one by the front door and one by the garage door. All the kids had toothbrushes in the half by the garage door because they’d get ready upstairs then eat breakfast downstairs and brush their teeth right before rushing out the door. The daughters had early morning seminary and were always rushing from one thing to the next. They are both married now and college graduates. The older son is serving a mission and the younger son is graduating from high school this month.

The kids were expected to clean their own bathrooms, but I cleaned the other 4. And that is only one reason why I tell my husband that I never want a large house. I was 25 years old and it was exhausting to be running around the house all the time. I love my one-story house and the kitchen where I barely have to even step away from the dishwasher in order to unload it.

• Upvote 12

I live in a 2400 sqft ranch with walk-out basement. We have an ensuite in our room, a small full guest bath on the main floor, and a full bath in the basement. We were set on getting two full baths, but so much of buying a house is just what is available in your price range when you are looking to buy. I have IBS and in the first couple years of our marriage in a 1 Bathroom apartment I had a few really rough times waiting for my husband to get out of the shower!

Our house is somewhat open plan, but not HGTV style. You can see all of the living room when you walk in, but you'd have to go forward and turn to see the walk-through dining "area" and kitchen. I'm incredibly tidy, so it works for us. But I also love having the basement area where I can store some projects and let my kid play in a space that doesn't have to be all put away. 

• Upvote 7

Even in the 1980s when I grew up, my parents' house technically had 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms -- but it wasn't 'one per bedroom'. It was one ensuite in the master, one for the other bedrooms to share, and one downstairs.

I think there's an aversion, here, to having stairs as a barrier between anyone and a bathroom, so if your house is fairly vertical, the number of bathrooms can easily rival the number of bedrooms. One per floor is really normal. (And the ensuite for the master bedroom is also normal for new construction of even modest homes.)

• Upvote 5

@JermajestyDuggar, “Pittsburgh potties” weren’t basement bathroom facilities for workmen—they were toilets installed to deal with water flow issues such as sewage backup. If they had been intended for usual toilet purposes, they wouldn’t have been set out in the middle of the cellar with no enclosure or sink.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Hane said:

@JermajestyDuggar, “Pittsburgh potties” weren’t basement bathroom facilities for workmen—they were toilets installed to deal with water flow issues such as sewage backup. If they had been intended for usual toilet purposes, they wouldn’t have been set out in the middle of the cellar with no enclosure or sink.

Thanks. I’ve heard the myth so many times that I figured it was true. But I have seen a lot of toilets that weren’t right in the middle. Some were off to the side of the basement too. And there was usually a sink down there for laundry. Usually the giant cement ones. We still have our giant cement sink that was used for laundry in the basement. 

This is what wiki says. Maybe it’s a combination of both. 

EA7AAEF4-5FF5-4388-92F3-003BBB33E509.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

I don't know about Pittsburgh Potties but the farm I grew up on did have a toilet and shower right by the backdoor where we were supposed to clean up if we (or usually our dad) came in muddy/drippy. 

• Upvote 3

Ummm, a filing can trap infection in your tooth too. If you're feeling this bad a week after a cavity, you need to go back to the dentist and probably get a root canal. You might need antibiotics before hand. You do not need clove oil.

I had a cavity from childhood and the filling was too close to the side of the tooth. I ended up having part of my tooth chip off. I got a new filling and it still caused problems, so we tried a third time with applying some kind of special treatment that was supposed to kill any infection before filling. That still didn't work so I got a root canal and crown and it's been fine since.

Many health things shouldn't be ignored and tooth stuff is one of them. Isn't Shaun's brother a dentist? 

441453482_18435033037028487_8004388560393132437_n.thumb.jpg.be2bd3e0de25bfd73c6dc7feb3c21b46.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • WTF 9

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

Ummm, a filing can trap infection in your tooth too. If you're feeling this bad a week after a cavity, you need to go back to the dentist and probably get a root canal. You might need antibiotics before hand. You do not need clove oil.

I had a cavity from childhood and the filling was too close to the side of the tooth. I ended up having part of my tooth chip off. I got a new filling and it still caused problems, so we tried a third time with applying some kind of special treatment that was supposed to kill any infection before filling. That still didn't work so I got a root canal and crown and it's been fine since.

Many health things shouldn't be ignored and tooth stuff is one of them. Isn't Shaun's brother a dentist? 

441453482_18435033037028487_8004388560393132437_n.thumb.jpg.be2bd3e0de25bfd73c6dc7feb3c21b46.jpg

Yes, either her brother is a dentist or Shaun’s brother is a dentist. Instead of asking the fucking internet, ask your brother! She just wants martyr attention. She’s pathetic. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

@theotherelise, I recently found this out the hard way. A filling in my molar broke, but I didn’t rush to the dentist because there was no pain. It turns out decay had started to affect the base of the adjacent tooth, which was a crown, and now I’m having the crown replaced. She warned me that tooth decay can be “funny,” and set in much more quickly than we think.

• Upvote 5

I'm surprised she admits to having cavities (plural), I guess she's not the bestest teeth brusher, or Jesus has better things to do than protect her teeth against cavities. 🙄  And, yes, wtf asking over the internet for advice, dumb.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Hane said:

@theotherelise, I recently found this out the hard way. A filling in my molar broke, but I didn’t rush to the dentist because there was no pain. It turns out decay had started to affect the base of the adjacent tooth, which was a crown, and now I’m having the crown replaced. She warned me that tooth decay can be “funny,” and set in much more quickly than we think.

So true! I'm glad you got it figured out, and my condolences on how long and uncomfortable that must have been. 

I did my root canal right before starting to try to conceive because I had learned that tooth health can really affect fertility. I was then years later able to know that my infertility had no tooth-related causes lol. The cost of dental care and work and lack of access for people who have medicaid in some parts of the country is really damaging.

• Upvote 8

The DDS- oh boy. I am a very healthy senior, except for my teeth. Many years ago (30), I had a dental mishap (unnecessary treatment that went bad) that necessitated a tooth extraction and bridge. As most know, bridges need to be replaced from time to time. I went for that replacement procedure last year (August), and it also went sideways. Tomorrow, I am going for the final fitting for the crowns that will cover the 2 implants I needed to get as a result. So, the “bridge replacement” has necessitated a crown replacement, an extraction, 2 implants, 4 bone grafts and finally the last 2 crowns. All to the OOP tune of $15,000 (+ 3,000 in dental insurance payments- 2 years worth). And why? because I have an extra sliver of bone in my jaw, that got my DDS in the 90s all twisted up. This bone is totally benign-

I have literally had every tooth procedure known to mankind- although my gums are stellar!

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 10

Is braggie the kind of person that thinks fluoridated water is the government trampling freedom? 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Is braggie the kind of person that thinks fluoridated water is the government trampling freedom? 

She’s never said hat but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if she was against fluoridated water. 

• Upvote 6

All those pregnancies have likely had a negative impact on her dental (and bone and pelvic floor muscles) health.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

Doesn't Braggie have that Scare-maritan-like insurance? She probably hasn't been to the dentist in ages if she has cavities. Which is absolutely stupid and ridiculous as there is a dentist in the family and they could work out a payment plan. I wonder how her gums are?

But then there is all that Anthro on sale and the $500 MCM cabinet, not to mention the super expensive new stove and the too big fridge to buy. She has her priorities after all.

As she has cavities I worry about the state of the children's teeth.  I don't believe they're get twice yearly check-ups. Does she make them floss and brush twice daily or is that yet another parenting job she sluffs off on BroDads/ SisMoms?  BraggieShaun won't pay for college, would they pay for braces if needed? [What about glasses?]

I've never had a week of pain after a filling, actually never had any pain after a filling. If Braggie needs a root canal likely the tooth is already dead/ there is infection.  If left untreated the infection will make its way to the bone. More damage, more pain, bone grafts, implants, much more expensive to fix.

Braggie here's an absolutely amazingly brilliant idea:  Stop being an idiot martyr and go back to the dentist.  Something is wrong -- get it fixed!!  If you need a root canal get one. Don't just yank out the tooth (teeth) and leave the space. The rest of your teeth will slide. around.  Salt water and clove oil are not the answers.

Oh and Jesus is not going to fix your teeth even if he does love you the best. 

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Doesn't Braggie have that Scare-maritan-like insurance? She probably hasn't been to the dentist in ages if she has cavities. Which is absolutely stupid and ridiculous as there is a dentist in the family and they could work out a payment plan. I wonder how her gums are?

But then there is all that Anthro on sale and the $500 MCM cabinet, not to mention the super expensive new stove and the too big fridge to buy. She has her priorities after all.

As she has cavities I worry about the state of the children's teeth.  I don't believe they're get twice yearly check-ups. Does she make them floss and brush twice daily or is that yet another parenting job she sluffs off on BroDads/ SisMoms?  BraggieShaun won't pay for college, would they pay for braces if needed? [What about glasses?]

I've never had a week of pain after a filling, actually never had any pain after a filling. If Braggie needs a root canal likely the tooth is already dead/ there is infection.  If left untreated the infection will make its way to the bone. More damage, more pain, bone grafts, implants, much more expensive to fix.

Braggie here's an absolutely amazingly brilliant idea:  Stop being an idiot martyr and go back to the dentist.  Something is wrong -- get it fixed!!  If you need a root canal get one. Don't just yank out the tooth (teeth) and leave the space. The rest of your teeth will slide. around.  Salt water and clove oil are not the answers.

Oh and Jesus is not going to fix your teeth even if he does love you the best. 

Her kids do get braces. Which seems to be the fundie way. They care much more about things that make them and their children look better. All about the aesthetics! She posted about Della’s palate expander. She had to do that before she got braces. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

I'm surprised she admits to having cavities (plural), I guess she's not the bestest teeth brusher, or Jesus has better things to do than protect her teeth against cavities. 🙄  And, yes, wtf asking over the internet for advice, dumb.

I floss and brush every day and have a mouthful of cavities.  My husband, who brushes, but doesn't floss regularly, doesn't.  Sometimes it's just your particular oral flora.

But yes, she needs to consult an actual dentist, not the internet.  Oral infections can be very serious!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

I floss and brush every day and have a mouthful of cavities.  My husband, who brushes, but doesn't floss regularly, doesn't.  Sometimes it's just your particular oral flora.

But yes, she needs to consult an actual dentist, not the internet.  Oral infections can be very serious!

I am of the belief that a large part of why a person is prone to cavities is out of their control. I know kids who brush twice a day everyday and are prone to cavities. And then here come my kids with zero cavities and I think they do a bad job of brushing their teeth. I’ve seen them. I know they miss plenty of spots. Yet not cavities. My sister and I never had cavities as kids. Both of us got our first cavity when we were pregnant with our second kid. So I just assume our lack of cavities is highly genetic. 

• Upvote 9

I know of dentists who recommend cloves/clove oil as a stop-gap if you have sudden dental pain and need something to help with pain while you wait the next hours/day/weekend to get an emergency appointment. Not as treatment replacement! 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am of the belief that a large part of why a person is prone to cavities is out of their control. I know kids who brush twice a day everyday and are prone to cavities. And then here come my kids with zero cavities and I think they do a bad job of brushing their teeth. I’ve seen them. I know they miss plenty of spots. Yet not cavities. My sister and I never had cavities as kids. Both of us got our first cavity when we were pregnant with our second kid. So I just assume our lack of cavities is highly genetic. 

I agree with this, I think so too.
I have two younger brothers. The oldest and I never had cavities. I always brushed twice a day, but never flossed or used toothpicks or mouthwash. Older one only brushed once a day and didn't use anything else. My youngest brother brushed twice a day as well and had a lot of cavities starting at an early age. Dentist said he's just prone to cavities and my other brother and I aren't.

Until my 18th birthday I went to the dentist twice a year. From 18 till 22 I went once a year. Between 22 and 27 I went irregularly, about 3 times total between those ages. After your 18th birthday, dental care is no longer covered by standard health insurance, and as a student I didn't have that money so I didn't go regularly anymore. I did start using mouthwash and dental picks after my 18th birthday. 
When I turned 27, my dentist retired. I had to look for a new dentist in my new town, and my adhd made that really difficult. The combination of dentist being expensive + having to find a new one, led to me not seeing a dentist for 5 years. Last year I finally registered at a new dentist. My teeth were fine. They said I must have taken great care of my teeth in those 5 dentist-less years, as they wouldn't have guessed from the state of my teeth that I hadn't seen a dentist in that long. Meanwhile, HB goes to the dentist twice a year, where he gets his teeth completely cleaned, and if he misses one time he is almost guaranteed to have a cavity the next time. So I guess I'm just blessed with strong teeth. (*I'm gonna knock on wood for this one though, I don't want to tempt faith😅*)

• Upvote 8

It's a numbing agent, right? Treats a symptom but not the actual issue. Exactly what the crunchy crowd claims real doctors do.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Posted (edited)

So Braggie totally fixed her tooth with coconut oil pulling and some stupid red light therapy box ($629 on Lume). She’s cured! The woo is strong with this idiot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 10

2 hours ago, MariaariaM said:

It's a numbing agent, right? Treats a symptom but not the actual issue. Exactly what the crunchy crowd claims real doctors do.

This is what's wild to me! Some are into it because of healthcare costs - which are truly outrageous. But then they'll go and spend $50,000* to feed their egos in their last days. It's infuriating! But yeah, you really showed Them how incompetent they are. 🙄

*A Pearl son-in-law is most likely dying of cancer and instead of spending his final days around his children (and grandchildren?) he and his wife have spent $50,000 on non treatments in Mexico. The 50,000 is only to the "clinic" it doesn't include their living expenses during the time. Because they're in a low cost of living area their living expenses are quite low but holy shit! You have issues with medicine but you'll throw down $50,000+ for placebos?!!! (To be fair it does sound like his cancer was probably terminal when he was diagnosed so it's not like there much Big Medicine could've done for him anyway but he could at least be comfortable at home!

• Upvote 6