IGNORED

Grandduggar # 3 on the way? Pictures.

luv2laugh

Yep, I caught that too.

Mack's little lion roar was very cute though. Makes me think of when my girls were that age...

If you listen to how they (the men mostly) talk through out the run of the show... It's not just Mack and Mike. Michael is a man, but the J'slaves, Anna, Michelle are all still referred to as "girls". Hell, when J+A announced pregnancy #2 JB said Anna was a "wonderful girl". One baby, one on the way, married, living in a different state from her parents and she is still a freaking girl.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you seen this video? She is wearing the same blue-striped shirt, and looks pregnant to me!

BTW, I love Kynzie saying "I'm a little man!" :dance:

Kynzie gets so much more love and attention than her toddler-aged Duggar aunts, and it shows. Kynzie can talk circles around them, and she's learning her letters. At the rate she's going, she'll be reading better than Jackson. That poor kid had such a hard time learning B is for ball, and he was at least four or five then.

I would assume that he is blanket trained, because thats what they do. They spend so much time traveling and going to "events" that they just cant be bothered actually WATCHING a child. A blanket is much easier than a pack n play.

She said "youre a little girl." My peeve is that Mike is "a little man" and shes a "girl". Its a little thing, but it shows the underlying psychology that women are cute little things with less significance/importance than boys who are really future men/fathers.

I picked up on that immediately as well.

So did Mac. Even after being corrected, she insisted she was a man too. In other words, I'm just as good as he is, damnit.

I dodged a bullet with Michael; his due date was my birthday, which was Father's Day last year. How much more smug would Smuggar get if he gets the coveted Father's Day baby that his daddy doesn't have (no Boob/Mullet kids with June b-days).

Hi! I almost never meet other people with June 19th birthdays! :D

Kynzie gets so much more love and attention than her toddler-aged Duggar aunts, and it shows. Kynzie can talk circles around them, and she's learning her letters. At the rate she's going, she'll be reading better than Jackson. That poor kid had such a hard time learning B is for ball, and he was at least four or five then.

well of course, she needs to be able to read to prepare food once she's 7 and Anna is overwhelmed by having to take care of 5 kids under 7 with 1000$ a month.

That poor woman looks like a stuffed sausage in stripes. Smuggar got probably 2 months with his wife's nice body and now 20 plus years of her bloated and pregnant and stuffed in frumpy clothes. The part that makes me sad is that our 20s are so much about finding out who we are and our place in the world. With a third kid, she probably got that answer quick!

Lay baby down on a blanket. Use a switch and beat all sides of the blanket to scare the baby into not crawling off. Lure the baby with a cookie and when s/he reaches for it, hit the hands with the switch so s/he learns now to crawl off. If the baby DOES crawl off/gets too close to the edge, hit his/her legs with the switch.

AAAGH! That is terrifying! What is WRONG with these people?!

I don't think Anna telling Mack that she is "a little girl" and Mike is "a little man" was sending the wrong message. I do the same thing and I'm the farthest from fundie. My best friend has a little boy (a few days younger than Mike) and I have always called him little man. I call him older sister a little girl. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

I don't think Anna telling Mack that she is "a little girl" and Mike is "a little man" was sending the wrong message. I do the same thing and I'm the farthest from fundie. My best friend has a little boy (a few days younger than Mike) and I have always called him little man. I call him older sister a little girl. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

It's not a fundie or Southern thing, unfortunately. It's very common in our society to infantilize women and this is just part of it. Similar to how grown women will typically keep names or nicknames that have a cutesy "i/ie/y" ending or are otherwise juvenile, while men usually drop them. Compare how many adult men named “Jonathon †or “Thomas†or “David†go by “Johnny†or “Tommy†or “Davieâ€, versus adult women named “Barbara†or “Cynthia†or “Margaret†who go by “Barbie†or “Cindy†or “Maggieâ€. Or how many women’s names in general end with the “ie/y†compared to men’s.

Guest Anonymous

In my family we always called the little girls "little ladies" & boys "little men"...well at least Mama did anyway. But I personally think that referring to boys as "little men" while referring to girls as "little girls" is sexist.

In my family we always called the little girls "little ladies" & boys "little men"...well at least Mama did anyway. But I personally think that referring to boys as "little men" while referring to girls as "little girls" is sexist.

+1

It's not a fundie or Southern thing, unfortunately. It's very common in our society to infantilize women and this is just part of it. Similar to how grown women will typically keep names or nicknames that have a cutesy "i/ie/y" ending or are otherwise juvenile, while men usually drop them. Compare how many adult men named “Jonathon †or “Thomas†or “David†go by “Johnny†or “Tommy†or “Davieâ€, versus adult women named “Barbara†or “Cynthia†or “Margaret†who go by “Barbie†or “Cindy†or “Maggieâ€. Or how many women’s names in general end with the “ie/y†compared to men’s.

A lot of -ie and -y female names came about due to languages where the -ie denoted the female form of the name/verb so I wouldn't say that in itself is cutesy. It was just how female names happened. Modern given names like Callie, Kaylee and Miley are over cutesy on purpose though.

In England and Wales you see the cutesy nicknames popping up everywhere, even in the boys names. Alfie is the #4 most popular name and Charlie is right behind at #5. Archie, Ollie, Jamie and Bobby all pop up in the Top 100 names there. In the US you don't hit one of the nickname names until Charlie at #244. I've always wondered why the nicknames as full names for boys caught on over on that side of the pond whereas in North America it didn't.

But to keep it relevant to the Duggars. Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they have this "Women are women, men are men" attitude but gave their daughter a variation of the name Mackenzie, which means son of Kenneth? *crickets chirping*

well of course, she needs to be able to read to prepare food once she's 7 and Anna is overwhelmed by having to take care of 5 kids under 7 with 1000$ a month.

You honestly believe that's why Anna is teaching this toddler letters and numbers? I just see a mom who enjoys spending time with her child, without ulterior motives. I wonder if Michelle was ever like that with Josh when he was little? I can't picture it.

I hate hate hate how in today's culture women of the age of thirty are still referred to as girls. They aren't girls, they're grown women!

You honestly believe that's why Anna is teaching this toddler letters and numbers? I just see a mom who enjoys spending time with her child, without ulterior motives. I wonder if Michelle was ever like that with Josh when he was little? I can't picture it.

TBH I see a mom who is taking a lot of time for school for her 2 year old, and who in five years will start schooling the kids at 6 or 7, because you can't "School" 2 years olds, and 3 year olds and 4 year olds etc, while taking care of the newest baby.

She may enjoy doing it, but seeing that I can't help but notice that soon it will be pushed back and pushed back because there are too many babies/toddlers around.

I hate hate hate how in today's culture women of the age of thirty are still referred to as girls. They aren't girls, they're grown women!

I am guilty of this but in my defense.. As being in my mid thirties... ugh... I would rather still be refered to as a girl than a Mrs., Lady, or woman. It is the only thing from my youth that could still apply. :D

But then I also call my daughter Chickie. Which is completely sexist.

I am guilty of this but in my defense.. As being in my mid thirties... ugh... I would rather still be refered to as a girl than a Mrs., Lady, or woman. It is the only thing from my youth that could still apply. :D

What's wrong with being called a woman?

What was Anna's degree in? Wasn't it early education or something?

I have wondered if maybe Anna views education as more important than the Duggar's have 'cause she has always seemed pretty into it and pretty informed about stuff.

I prefer being called a girl to a woman, but part of that is because to me girl is younger and more affectionate while woman is old. *laugh* But, I have definitely seen men who use it in a derogatory "You are beneath me" kind of way, so I can understand why it would offend or push some buttons.

I might be totally wrong, but Michael didn't appear to be "blanket-training" at all to me - he just looked like a normal baby getting some "tummy time". :-p But, like I said I could be totally wrong. :)

And as per the original topic - Anna TOTALLY looks pregnant, I keep trying to see if it could just be leftover from Michael, but it doesn't seem....flabby? Does that make sense? I dunno. She looks prego to me.

It's not a Southern thing; it's a subtle sexist thing that you don't even notice because you're so entrenched to it. Now that your attention has been called to it, will you decide to keep perpetuating it and pretend it doesn't matter, or will you make an effort to stop subtly infantalizing women?

:text-yeahthat: My name is one of those that you listed and I can never understand why people automatically assume that I want to be called by a cutesy nickname. Especially when I introduce myself by my full name. I haven't preferred the nickname since I was about 6 but I had a college professor in undergrad who just automatically assumed that I preferred the nickname.

The whole girl thing is an interesting thing. My parents still refer to us as the girls(I'm 22 and my sister is 25). Heck, my grandma still refer to us that way.

I think Anna has another on the way. Personally, I think maybe they could be a little scared after what happened to Michelle coupled with Anna's recent miscarriage it could be they want to be extra cautious.

I do think Anna tries to teach her children the best she can.

I'm 22 and I don't have a problem with my parents calling me and my sister 'the girls', or my friends calling me one, but I don't like society thinking of me as one if that makes sense. Like in a workplace where a male manager would call all the women on the workteam 'the girls' and the men 'the blokes', if you know what I mean. I have more of a problem when it's people calling women over the age of thirty girls though.

What's wrong with being called a woman?

My mother is a woman, my grandmother is a woman, the blue hair down the street is a lady. I will be a girl to myself and i will most likely refer to my friends as "girls" because once you start refering to your self as a woman, it means you have to grow up and i am not ready yet.

When you are going out drinkin' it is not with the women. It is called girls night. Going out with the girls Mainly means a bunch of grown up women who are leaving behind sanity and going to act like 12 year olds, get sh*tfaced, and hit on 20 year old boys cause we can. (canada, drinking starts at 18) Then we will drag our sorry butts home and collaspe in bed and snore loud enough to wake the husbands, and suffer the hangover in the morning which then reminds us again that we are women.

:D :doh:

As for being called a girl being sexist, my father sometimes calls me daughter, or my girls but the best one was when he was talking to my husband one day and they were planning on going somewhere. My father said to my husband "I'll talk to mum and talk to your wife and make sure it will be alright."

:roll:

Archived