IGNORED

Grandduggar # 3 on the way? Pictures.

luv2laugh

I was in my mid 50's when a new boss started calling me his 'girl'. At the time I was doing legislative policy analysis. I discussed it with him in private and he continued. I took it to our agency HR people and they called him in for a counseling. Eventually word got to the agency director who was a woman and she sent a memo out to the agency (statewide) on the matter of addressing coworkers appropriately.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the big deal?? Girl, woman, female... whatever. I, personally, would rather be called Nikki over anything else.

Wow, 4 posts into your membership and you're already showing how clueless you can be? That's gotta be a new record.

Words have power. They make implications about what's normal, what's accepted, what our basic conceptions are. For example, if you describe a group of people as "white" or "non-white," then you've just revealed something about what you think is normal and privileged.

Sure, people can call someone "girl" without meaning anything by it. This happens a lot, and that's fine. However, there is a very real reason that the tradition of calling women "girls" (even in a professional setting) has been handed down to us, and it is not benign or casual or meaningless.

I was in my mid 50's when a new boss started calling me his 'girl'. At the time I was doing legislative policy analysis. I discussed it with him in private and he continued. I took it to our agency HR people and they called him in for a counseling. Eventually word got to the agency director who was a woman and she sent a memo out to the agency (statewide) on the matter of addressing coworkers appropriately.

That was very brave. In my industry, even a justified complaint to HR invariably leaks out and marks you as "trouble." You will likely be able to keep your job, but you can forget about getting promoted or switching companies.

That was very brave. In my industry, even a justified complaint to HR invariably leaks out and marks you as "trouble." You will likely be able to keep your job, but you can forget about getting promoted or switching companies.

I was unrepresented (working in public service) at the time and willing to file a law suit had it continue. I'm an ex labor organizer and shop steward, I won't take sexist shit from anyone, esp. a boss.

Wow, 4 posts into your membership and you're already showing how clueless you can be? That's gotta be a new record.

What the h-e-double hockey sticks is this shit? Just because she is new she is not allowed to express an opinion? Someone did this to me too. It is quite a wonderful way to express welcome to new members. Just because you have been here since the start of time doesnt mean your always right or know more.

What the h-e-double hockey sticks is this shit? Just because she is new she is not allowed to express an opinion? Someone did this to me too. It is quite a wonderful way to express welcome to new members. Just because you have been here since the start of time doesnt mean your always right or know more.

She's allowed to express an opinion, just as we're allowed to tell her that her opinion is a bunch of stupid bullshit.

Reds, sweetie, be a good girl and calm down. I know it's hard for you gals not to get emotional about every little thing under the sun, but you're going a little over the top here, even for a female. Is it that time of the month? Or are you going through the change? Maybe you should ask the doc for some valium?

(Not too pleasant, is it? But this stuff is still a reality for many women working in male-dominated environments. New member, old member, or somewhere in-between, this is not a place where members are going to tolerate the patronization of women.)

We dont bake cookies and give sloppy kisses to new members. Hold your own or take your ball and go the fuck home. I'd suggest that you not jump in at all if you cant handle dissent. Post count doesnt mean all that much except that people with higher post counts:

- tend to know the way things work around here and dont cry when someone disagrees and

- tend to have actual contributing thoughts because they've hung around long enough to have a high count.

Oh, and handslapping is frowned upon. Welcome to Free Jinger.

edited riffle

based on nothing but the fact that she has had 4 posts.

I feel that if she wanted to attack her it should be on her comment not on her status as a newbie. It is like calling her a child based on her amount of posts.

tend to know the way things work around here and dont cry when someone disagrees and

- tend to have actual contributing thoughts because they've hung around long enough to have a high count.

so the rest of us have nothing to contribute? Nice!

based on nothing but the fact that she has had 4 posts.

I feel that if she wanted to attack her it should be on her comment not on her status as a newbie. It is like calling her a child based on her amount of posts.

so the rest of us have nothing to contribute? Nice!

I can see you have quite a bit to contribute. What color should I do my nails?

Welcome to Free Jinger.

I really feel we should have some awesome feminist picture with this caption, to post whenever new members (or old, if they develop dementia or something) pitch a fit like this.

Must... find... awesome... feminist... pictures... *goes off to Goggle*

Reds, sweetie, be a good girl and calm down. I know it's hard for you gals not to get emotional about every little thing under the sun, but you're going a little over the top here, even for a female. Is it that time of the month? Or are you going through the change? Maybe you should ask the doc for some valium?

This isnt actually how it went. We would get smacks for rolling our eyes... there was no patronizing. But thanks for trying.

as for your nails... i dont do that.. it was against my upbringing... might defraud someone.

As I've said before I can't do my nails but I do love me the look of a french mani/pedi. To keep this mani/pedi maneuver on topic, what color would look good on the Duggar ladies. I think anything other than pale pink would be to much for the tiny ladies but no clue about the others.

I riffled. :? Don't worry, I mopped it up.

Ugh, nothing I hate more than dirty carpets on a sunday night. ESPECIALLY when I have to work tomorrow and its a holiday. I think I'm going with a nice fuck me red this week... off to CVS...

To those few participants in this thread who are whining because there is no welcome wagon that includes big kisses and free coupons when you first start posting on freejinger: Grow the fuck up.

If you are looking for big hugs and inspirational quotes with cutesy images, go find some internet group designed for that. This is not the place.

This isnt actually how it went. We would get smacks for rolling our eyes... there was no patronizing. But thanks for trying.

as for your nails... i dont do that.. it was against my upbringing... might defraud someone.

I didn't mention nails, honey, but that's okay, I know how you girls can get so worked up about something that it can make it hard to concentrate. It's one of the reasons why gals shouldn't be paid as much as men for the same work.

I didn't mention nails, honey, but that's okay, I know how you girls can get so worked up about something that it can make it hard to concentrate. It's one of the reasons why gals shouldn't be paid as much as men for the same work.

SQUIRREL!!!

As I've said before I can't do my nails but I do love me the look of a french mani/pedi. To keep this mani/pedi maneuver on topic, what color would look good on the Duggar ladies. I think anything other than pale pink would be to much for the tiny ladies but no clue about the others.

I riffled. :? Don't worry, I mopped it up.

I love french manucure (and no it's not patriotism :P)

On the subject of sexism, one fo the dental professor at my dentist (I go to a dentist school) was trying to prove I was not allergic to acrylic (the temp crown was made of it) by proving I had gotten my nails done before (i.e. I imagine I got false nails). I was like uh no, I don't do that. Like seriously?

SQUIRREL!!!

Okay, okay, break it up. I believe the nail comment was directed towards Buzzard. No need to bite her head off- by the way, if anyone wants my opinion, I paint my nails rainbow.

As for the woman pay crack, that WAS sarcasm, right? Right?

As for the squirrel comment, are you calling Them a squirrel or what?

Please people, no need to fight here. just drop the subject.

Okay, okay, break it up. I believe the nail comment was directed towards Buzzard. No need to bite her head off- by the way, if anyone wants my opinion, I paint my nails rainbow.

As for the woman pay crack, that WAS sarcasm, right? Right?

As for the squirrel comment, are you calling Them a squirrel or what?

Please people, no need to fight here. just drop the subject.

Christ, we do not need more dumb in this thread!

1) Of course the pay crack was sarcasm.

2) I believe the squirrel comment is from the Disney movie Up.

3) Stop fucking HAND SLAPPING!

No, meow.

"Painting nails" is the conversation topic of choice in response to idiots and trolls. It means "I refuse to engage in conversation with you". It was directed at reds, not Buzzard.

The women's wages comment was because reds asked "What's the big deal?", and sexism is actually bad and actually has bad effects on women's lives and equality. And generally, it's people who are willing to look at things that are considered inoffensive and actually address them who address sexism, not people who wander into a conversation with no desire to understand the issue and announce "lol lol shut up guys it doesnt matter lol idc"

reds doesn't seem to get anything, and so shows a wacky sense of humour and manages to light-heartedly throw everyone off the topic in a way that makes them fond of her by yelling a word randomly, cementing all suspicions of her erudite understanding of the issues in the process.

You telling those in the conversation, who evidently care enough to discuss it, to "drop the subject" puts a cherry on top of this delicious cake.

Christ, we do not need more dumb in this thread!

1) Of course the pay crack was sarcasm.

2) I believe the squirrel comment is from the Disney movie Up.

3) Stop fucking HAND SLAPPING!

1) I am sorry that not everyone can detect sarcasm as easily as you, O Great One.

2) Well, I do not watch Disney movies, so I wouldn't know.

3) I don't really see that as hand slapping. I find most of my points to be relatively valid, and didn't mean to attack or offend anyone.

Archived