IGNORED

Grandduggar # 3 on the way? Pictures.

luv2laugh

I am guilty of this but in my defense.. As being in my mid thirties... ugh... I would rather still be refered to as a girl than a Mrs., Lady, or woman. It is the only thing from my youth that could still apply. :D

But then I also call my daughter Chickie. Which is completely sexist.

Hey, I call my daughter "chickie", too! :dance:

Honestly, I don't mind being called a girl. My father-in-law refers to me as a girl (as in "That pretty red head girl over there is my son T****'s wife, Pixydust."), my girlfriends (there it is again) and I have "girl's night out" (and our hubbies/boyfriends have "Boys night out"), when I dress up my hubs and I call it "getting girlie". I don't usually use the term "men" either, it's "guys". I hear a lot of older women (70s - 80s) calling each other "gal". For me, it's not a big deal.

Oh, and as for names, my hubbie, his dad, his BFF, my ex-fil, all have "y" names. It's pretty common in the south-east.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if they say girls, but I really prefer my name. Bonus points if they pronounce and spell it right. I think sometimes word choice has an underlying reason and sometimes it doesn't(hope this makes sense). It's a non-issue for me.

What was Anna's degree in? Wasn't it early education or something?

I have wondered if maybe Anna views education as more important than the Duggar's have 'cause she has always seemed pretty into it and pretty informed about stuff.

I prefer being called a girl to a woman, but part of that is because to me girl is younger and more affectionate while woman is old. *laugh* But, I have definitely seen men who use it in a derogatory "You are beneath me" kind of way, so I can understand why it would offend or push some buttons.

I might be totally wrong, but Michael didn't appear to be "blanket-training" at all to me - he just looked like a normal baby getting some "tummy time". :-p But, like I said I could be totally wrong. :)

And as per the original topic - Anna TOTALLY looks pregnant, I keep trying to see if it could just be leftover from Michael, but it doesn't seem....flabby? Does that make sense? I dunno. She looks prego to me.

I believe Anna's "degree" (if you can really call it a degree") is in early childhood education. I think she does feel education is very important, much more important than J'Chelle. The Kellers had a "School" room in their house, or an area that had actual learning materials hanging on the walls, etc (not that makes the SOTDRT valid) but at least they were putting more effort into school than the Duggars and those horrible Wisdom Booklets.

My mother is a woman, my grandmother is a woman, the blue hair down the street is a lady. I will be a girl to myself and i will most likely refer to my friends as "girls" because once you start refering to your self as a woman, it means you have to grow up and i am not ready yet.

When you are going out drinkin' it is not with the women. It is called girls night. Going out with the girls Mainly means a bunch of grown up women who are leaving behind sanity and going to act like 12 year olds, get sh*tfaced, and hit on 20 year old boys cause we can. (canada, drinking starts at 18) Then we will drag our sorry butts home and collaspe in bed and snore loud enough to wake the husbands, and suffer the hangover in the morning which then reminds us again that we are women.

:D :doh:

But this is precisely the point. Girls aren't supposed to grow up. They're supposed to be perpetual children, and we're supposed to think it's some horrible thing to just be an adult, a woman. Men, on the other hand, are expected to grow up and be strong adults so that they can be protectors of the perpetual girl-children. It's considered a bad thing if a girl becomes a woman, but a good thing if a boy becomes a man.

Even on "The Golden Girls," they call each other "girls." I thought it was to seem younger, rather than a sexist thing.

And you don't think it's even the teeniest bit sexist that women are always expected to act young? And if you tell me that everyone wants to be young, then you're completely oblivious to the double standard where it's ok for men to age gracefully but never ok for a woman to be old.

Yep, I agree with bananacat, all these terms are subtle expressions of sexism.

But Anna's family takes it to a greater extreme. From the age of 2 Mack is being told she is inferior to her brother - when he cannot even talk or walk yet. That is a big thing to a child. Toddlers want to be Big Kids very badly and it affects their self-esteem. Think what effect this will have on her life when she is taught things like this for years and years.

But this is precisely the point. Girls aren't supposed to grow up. They're supposed to be perpetual children, and we're supposed to think it's some horrible thing to just be an adult, a woman. Men, on the other hand, are expected to grow up and be strong adults so that they can be protectors of the perpetual girl-children. It's considered a bad thing if a girl becomes a woman, but a good thing if a boy becomes a man.

+1

Frankly, some of the "I like being a girl, I don't want to grow up!" (in my mind, that's said in a faux little girl voice that would put Michelle's to shame) in this thread makes me want to facepalm. A girl is a CHILD. I hope the people who don't want to be called "woman" also don't drive, vote, go to college, have careers, etc. Because those are things grown ups do, not children.

Hi! I almost never meet other people with June 19th birthdays! :D

Are you kidding? There were 4 of us in my HS graduating class of about 350 (including Project Runway's Chris March, who was NOT born on June 19th). :mrgreen:

On the "girl" thing....

Back in the mid-80's I was working in an insurance agency with a woman in her late 50's. She was a Radcliff grad, a second cousin to Kennedys who had apparently fallen on hard times after a divorce.

Someone called the office looking for "the girl" he'd spoken to the day before about some policy. In her Kennedy-esq accent and an a highly annoyed manner she said, "SIR! I assure you we do not employ any CHILDREN in this office!"

I've used the phrase many times since then (without the accent). Not so much in recent years, fortunately, but it's still an issue, even in the most professional of environments.

madpsych78 wrote: Even on "The Golden Girls," they call each other "girls." I thought it was to seem younger, rather than a sexist thing.

bananacat wrote: And you don't think it's even the teeniest bit sexist that women are always expected to act young? And if you tell me that everyone wants to be young, then you're completely oblivious to the double standard where it's ok for men to age gracefully but never ok for a woman to be old.

I completely agree that women should not be called girls, especially when men are not called boys. I'm just saying that I was a child in the 1980s and when I watched The Golden Girls, it never registered in my kid brain that that was supposed to be sexist.

Personally, this video pretty much sums up what goes through my head when a woman wants to be called a girl (watch until the end, when she really loses it)

Possible warning: Christmas singing in a naughty Mrs. Clause costume.

http://youtu.be/rwsATai--yg

ETA: Because I cannot figure out how to embed Youtube videos.

On the "girl" thing....

Back in the mid-80's I was working in an insurance agency with a woman in her late 50's. She was a Radcliff grad, a second cousin to Kennedys who had apparently fallen on hard times after a divorce.

Someone called the office looking for "the girl" he'd spoken to the day before about some policy. In her Kennedy-esq accent and an a highly annoyed manner she said, "SIR! I assure you we do not employ any CHILDREN in this office!"

I've used the phrase many times since then (without the accent). Not so much in recent years, fortunately, but it's still an issue, even in the most professional of environments.

I will have to start using that at work. :) Thanks for posting. ''

Personally, I hate being called a girl when it is coming from a position in authority. I really HATE being called kiddo.

In England and Wales you see the cutesy nicknames popping up everywhere, even in the boys names. Alfie is the #4 most popular name and Charlie is right behind at #5. Archie, Ollie, Jamie and Bobby all pop up in the Top 100 names there. In the US you don't hit one of the nickname names until Charlie at #244. I've always wondered why the nicknames as full names for boys caught on over on that side of the pond whereas in North America it didn't.

But to keep it relevant to the Duggars. Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they have this "Women are women, men are men" attitude but gave their daughter a variation of the name Mackenzie, which means son of Kenneth? *crickets chirping*

c

I quite agree, this trend of using 'Mac' names seems pretty odd to me.

Also, couldn't agree more with the cutesy names - in my son's class there are several with cutesy nickname-type names as first names. Call me snobby, but I'd feel a bit strange going to see a 'Dr. Ollie' when I'm in my dotage - what's wrong with Oliver as a given name and just shortening it when they're little? I named my kiddo James, but to everyone, even at school, he is Jamie. Now, I know Jamie is a proper first name in Scotland, but to me, it's a nickname. We call him James, Jamie, Jay and Jim. He can take his pick when he's older. If he wants to change it by deed poll, hell that's fine by me too.

But the girls names grind me too. Had my kiddo been a girl, he would have been Josephine. Yes, we would have called her Josie, but again, she could have taken her pick. My neighbours over the years have included a Millie, a Tilly and a Daisy. Thank god Tilly changed it to Mathilda as soon as she hit her teens, it was cute when she was 3 though.

My son is at the age where he is still a little gender confused. When he wants to compliment me he will often refer to me as an 'awesome man'. I correct him to awesome lady or woman. Sometime he says I'm a lovely girl, again I correct him to lady or woman. I do that because I want him to know women as women and not girls. My ex used to refer to me as a girl and it used to wind me up!

+1

Frankly, some of the "I like being a girl, I don't want to grow up!" (in my mind, that's said in a faux little girl voice that would put Michelle's to shame) in this thread makes me want to facepalm. A girl is a CHILD. I hope the people who don't want to be called "woman" also don't drive, vote, go to college, have careers, etc. Because those are things grown ups do, not children.

Ok... wow... i am tone of the ones that does not mind being called a girl. I m what i am. If you want to get technical shouldnt we all just be called female? Make us all equal? It is truly what we are.

As for me not wanted to be called a woman, you have someone yell across the room at you can call you that.. see if you feel awkward. In a perfect world i would be continuely be called by my given name. The people i truly find offensive are the ones who call me sweetie, honey or babe when they dont care to ask, remember or use my name.

As for being a "girl" I am in my mid thirties, I have two kids, two jobs, one hobbie that is approaching career status, a tonne of bills that we are struggling to pay, a husband who not only works full time but also farms full time so tht his mother can pay her bills and eat. We do not have help from family in doing any of this. If i want to pretend that i am 25 instead of 35 to make my world a little brighter, if i want to watch high school romance movies to avoid the dishes for two hours, if i love to read ungodly "chick lit" about strong women who also refer to themselves as girls. It is my option. I also want to point out that i use no anti-aging crap, hair dye.. i am currently wearing my gray hair on my sleeve, and botox is for drama queens.

I am woman, hear me roar. I am also still a girl, hear me weep at a sappy suckie movie. I am complex and hate being stuffed into a mold i dont feel that i fit in. :violin:

c

I quite agree, this trend of using 'Mac' names seems pretty odd to me.

Also, couldn't agree more with the cutesy names - in my son's class there are several with cutesy nickname-type names as first names. Call me snobby, but I'd feel a bit strange going to see a 'Dr. Ollie' when I'm in my dotage - what's wrong with Oliver as a given name and just shortening it when they're little? !

I named my girl Eleanor. In her youth she can go by Ella, Ellie, Nora, Noodle, Chickie, Hey You. When she is an adult she can choose if she goes by a nickname or her real one and she doesnt have to change it legally to make it happen.

And before anyone mentions it.. i hate typing on a laptop and it never hits the keys it is suppose to and it is too hard and i am too lazy to go back and change things.

Ok... wow... i am tone of the ones that does not mind being called a girl. I m what i am. If you want to get technical shouldnt we all just be called female? Make us all equal? It is truly what we are.

You are completely missing the point. No, we are not all equal. A woman is an adult. A girl is a child. Adults and children are not equal.

If i want to pretend that i am 25 instead of 35 to make my world a little brighter, if i want to watch high school romance movies to avoid the dishes for two hours, if i love to read ungodly "chick lit" about strong women who also refer to themselves as girls. It is my option. I also want to point out that i use no anti-aging crap, hair dye.. i am currently wearing my gray hair on my sleeve, and botox is for drama queens.

To you, is a 25 year old not an adult? Is someone who watches high school romance movies not an adult? Is someone who cries at sappy sucky movies not an adult? As far as I know, none of those things means you cannot be an adult.

I am woman, hear me roar. I am also still a girl, hear me weep at a sappy suckie movie. I am complex and hate being stuffed into a mold i dont feel that i fit in. :violin:

If you were all that complex, I'd think you'd want to examine why you don't feel as if you are an adult.

I agree. If you identify as an adult female, you are a woman. If you think that is "stuffing you into a mold", something is up that may be worth exploring.

And would you (reds) ever refer to a man your age as a "boy"? Try it with my African American cousin and he'll surely give you a piece of his mind on that.

Girls and boys are children. To refer to adults using those terms is demeaning. I know it isn't always consciously intended to be demeaning, but it is nevertheless.

There's your problem. You think that calling yourself an adult means you have to act a certain way. I'm saying that you already are an adult and that you are not longer a girl. Adults, both men and women, can cry during movies. You don't have to be a child to do that. Being a woman doesn't mean you have to stop dying your hair and start buying elastic-waist, pastel colored pants. It doesn't mean you have to wear practical shoes and give up all your fun hobbies. What you're really worried about is that others will perceive you as old and not like you as much, even if you don't change any of your behavior except considering yourself a woman instead of a child.

I named my girl Eleanor. In her youth she can go by Ella, Ellie, Nora, Noodle, Chickie, Hey You. When she is an adult she can choose if she goes by a nickname or her real one and she doesnt have to change it legally to make it happen.

And before anyone mentions it.. i hate typing on a laptop and it never hits the keys it is suppose to and it is too hard and i am too lazy to go back and change things.

Ooh, I love this name. If #3 had been a girl I would have called her Eleanor. My two daughters have very proper old fashioned names because Mr. Fox and I thought they would probably be professionals of some kind and that cutesy names would sound a bit odd. We have used nicknames in the past, but the 13 year old has insisted on us using her full name for a few years now. We respect her wishes and happily comply. :)

You are completely missing the point. No, we are not all equal. A woman is an adult. A girl is a child. Adults and children are not equal.

We are equal we just have different responsibilities.

To you, is a 25 year old not an adult? Is someone who watches high school romance movies not an adult? Is someone who cries at sappy sucky movies not an adult? As far as I know, none of those things means you cannot be an adult.

If you were all that complex, I'd think you'd want to examine why you don't feel as if you are an adult.

The problem is that i am too much of an adult. I dont want to be an adult. I would love to be a duggar girl at times. When i dont have to worry about anything but keeping sweet. Maybe that is why i am fasinated with them. How does one, the mothers like michelle, just surrender all responsibility to someone else? My personality is so different that it would be impossible.

Wow.. getting deep! so a fundie, a nun and a duck all walk into a bar... :lol:

Maybe it's just me, but I refer to men my age (23) as "boys" all the time when I'm speaking informally. I just asked my boyfriend when his next "boy's night out" is going to be, and I'll often greet him with some variation of "hey boy". Same with his friends; I would feel weird referring to them as men because it sounds so formal to me. It doesn't bother me at all when people call me a girl, because in my experience men get called boys just as often.

The problem is that i am too much of an adult. I dont want to be an adult. I would love to be a duggar girl at times. When i dont have to worry about anything but keeping sweet.

You know what? I take back what I said before. I think you are, indeed, a girl.

You know what? I take back what I said before. I think you are, indeed, a girl.

I think you just read what you wanted to read in my comment and ignored the rest.

Archived