IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

4 minutes ago, LillyP said:

It's actually a "thing". There's an entire facebook group dedicated to transforming play kitchens and toy makeovers. 

Yeah I’ve seen that. But I’m still sticking to the opinion that Lydia did this mostly for her baby shower photos, not for Ryker.

4 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Yeah I’ve seen that. But I’m still sticking to the opinion that Lydia did this mostly for her baby shower photos, not for Ryker.

She totally did it for the look. Maybe she will mellow out as she gets more used to the realities of motherhood and parenting, but she is going to be a photo mom who has whole outfits and toys that are just for pictures and not for him to actually use. 

She cracked me up with the dust-busting/vacuuming the walls in their nursery reveal video. I try to clean pretty often, but I don't think I have ever used that many attachments on my vacuum. 

4 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She cracked me up with the dust-busting/vacuuming the walls in their nursery reveal video. I try to clean pretty often, but I don't think I have ever used that many attachments on my vacuum. 

My stereotype about Germans based on one good friend and her mother is that they are fastidious about housekeeping. So Lydia vacuuming the walls seemed about right to me!

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She totally did it for the look. Maybe she will mellow out as she gets more used to the realities of motherhood and parenting, but she is going to be a photo mom who has whole outfits and toys that are just for pictures and not for him to actually use. 

I just used a swiffer on my walls for the first time in a long time. Because I need to paint. It probably won’t be swiffered again for years. 

• Upvote 3

They did an assumptions video today. 

homeschool? Yes

play sports? yes

argue? yes, they are human.

Lydia makes most of the decisions? no, marriage is teamwork. 

alcohol? no. they don't see much good can come from it. Trace mentions car accidents as a cop. 

Lydia is not a dog person? She's not opposed to having a dog but she is definitely a cat person. 

Lydia prefers to hang out with her family over the Bates? Not true. They spend time fairly equally with both sides even though Lydia's family lives further away. 

19 kids? No. Pregnancy is hard. They will take it 1 at a time!

Lydia citizenship? Their family's asylum went to the Supreme Court so it is a huge legal process. 

Lydia will be a helicopter mom/Trace will be chill dad? Yes. Spot on. 

Nervous about birth? Yes, they both are but also excited to meet him. She's 34 weeks. 

Trace doesn't love cats but tolerates Maui? Trace isn't a cat person but he likes Maui. 

Lydia is taller than Trace in heels? He literally doesn't care. She doesn't care. They think it is weird that it weirds people out and that people comment on it a lot. 

Lydia wears the pants in the relationship? Tough decisions, they pray about. Be a team. Yada yada. but SOMETIMES Trace has the "final decision". 

Kissed before their wedding? Yes, they did. 

Ryker was a surprise? That's awkward, y'all. When they got married and even when they got together, they had past relationships so they wanted to take it slow and get to know each other. Christmas came and they wanted one before next Christmas. 

They wanna visit Germany? Yes absolutely, but that goes back to the citizenship issue. 

Lydia will be more strict? Lydia will be more strict when they are young and Trace when they are older. 

Ryker's middle name is after Tom Cruise? Yes, true. Loves his movies. Loves his helicopter pilot, sky diving, yada yada. Hates his scientology. 

Trace does most of the cooking? Yes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

1 hour ago, gobucks said:

They did an assumptions video today. 

homeschool? Yes

play sports? yes

argue? yes, they are human.

Lydia makes most of the decisions? no, marriage is teamwork. 

alcohol? no. they don't see much good can come from it. Trace mentions car accidents as a cop. 

Lydia is not a dog person? She's not opposed to having a dog but she is definitely a cat person. 

Lydia prefers to hang out with her family over the Bates? Not true. They spend time fairly equally with both sides even though Lydia's family lives further away. 

19 kids? No. Pregnancy is hard. They will take it 1 at a time!

Lydia citizenship? Their family's asylum went to the Supreme Court so it is a huge legal process. 

Lydia will be a helicopter mom/Trace will be chill dad? Yes. Spot on. 

Nervous about birth? Yes, they both are but also excited to meet him. She's 34 weeks. 

Trace doesn't love cats but tolerates Maui? Trace isn't a cat person but he likes Maui. 

Lydia is taller than Trace in heels? He literally doesn't care. She doesn't care. They think it is weird that it weirds people out and that people comment on it a lot. 

Lydia wears the pants in the relationship? Tough decisions, they pray about. Be a team. Yada yada. but SOMETIMES Trace has the "final decision". 

Kissed before their wedding? Yes, they did. 

Ryker was a surprise? That's awkward, y'all. When they got married and even when they got together, they had past relationships so they wanted to take it slow and get to know each other. Christmas came and they wanted one before next Christmas. 

They wanna visit Germany? Yes absolutely, but that goes back to the citizenship issue. 

Lydia will be more strict? Lydia will be more strict when they are young and Trace when they are older. 

Ryker's middle name is after Tom Cruise? Yes, true. Loves his movies. Loves his helicopter pilot, sky diving, yada yada. Hates his scientology. 

Trace does most of the cooking? Yes.

They're literally naming their kid after Tom Cruise but they came up with Ryker Cruz instead of Tom/Thomas? Just like how poor Spurgeon Seewald could have been Charles but was instead cursed with Spurgeon.

• Upvote 6

27 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

They're literally naming their kid after Tom Cruise but they came up with Ryker Cruz instead of Tom/Thomas? Just like how poor Spurgeon Seewald could have been Charles but was instead cursed with Spurgeon.

I’m kind of glad their name was made fun of online by a popular Christian YouTuber. I’m hoping they will think harder about their name choice next time. Because Tom Cruise is not someone I would want to be named after. I feel bad for the kid. His parents are putting him and his name in the public eye before he is even born! Yet another reason not to exploit your kids on social media. Because people will make fun of your child’s name if it’s even slightly out of the ordinary. And especially if you name your kid after Tom Cruise. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m kind of glad their name was made fun of online by a popular Christian YouTuber. I’m hoping they will think harder about their name choice next time. Because Tom Cruise is not someone I would want to be named after. I feel bad for the kid. His parents are putting him and his name in the public eye before he is even born! Yet another reason not to exploit your kids on social media. Because people will make fun of your child’s name if it’s even slightly out of the ordinary. And especially if you name your kid after Tom Cruise. 

She hasn't had the baby yet, they can still change names if they want? 🤔😅 Although perhaps they got baby shower gifts monagrammed with the letter "R" or that say Ryker.🤷🏽‍♀️😅  Doesn't Alyssa have a blanket that says Rhett on it?

• Upvote 2

A lot of fundies give their first child the most “out there” name and then go pretty tame with the rest of the kids. Like Heistheway and Spurgeon are both the oldest. And they have younger siblings with fairly ordinary names for the most part. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sleepygirl1 said:

Please excuse my clear lack of pop cultural knowledge, but how is Ryker cruise in any way related to Tom Cruise?

It's not. The names come from separate entities. They haven't said how they found Ryker, but they have admitted that Cruise is after Tom. 

• Thank You 2

I swear they claimed Ryker had German roots. And people were like, ummm I don’t think so. Sure it sounds like Reich. As in Third Reich. But I doubt that’s what they were going for. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear they claimed Ryker had German roots. And people were like, ummm I don’t think so. Sure it sounds like Reich. As in Third Reich. But I doubt that’s what they were going for. 

Now that you mention it, I remember them saying they wanted a German name, but not TOO German. Is Ryker German at all? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

Now that you mention it, I remember them saying they wanted a German name, but not TOO German. Is Ryker German at all? 

According to my two second internet search:

“Possibly a variant of the German surname Riker, a derivative of Low German rike "rich".”

https://www.behindthename.com/name/ryker

So… kinda?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

According to my two second internet search:

“Possibly a variant of the German surname Riker, a derivative of Low German rike "rich".”

https://www.behindthename.com/name/ryker

So… kinda?

I imagine you can find references for just about any name if you look around enough. So yeah, it's a reach. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/12/2023 at 6:03 PM, gobucks said:

They love Tom Cruise movies?  Wonder if Trace has seen "Risky Business".  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

Yes and no. Ryker doesn't seem to be an established name in Germany. The closest I could find was Rike. Rike is a girl's name meaning peaceful ruler, a diminutive of the various feminized "ric" names. Think Friederike/Ulrike. Rike is also a Norwegian surname meaning power rule/kingdom. Reich seems to be the masculine version. Thank god they didn't go with that version. 

Why not just go with some variation with Frederick/Roderick/Henry? All are German names that are well established in the English speaking world and share a meaning with Rike. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

They love Tom Cruise movies?  Wonder if Trace has seen "Risky Business".  

Eyes Wide Shut LOL!

He said he loves the Mission Impossible movies. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I mean, I clearly adore Julie Andrews (and Lucille Ball in roughly equal measure), and I joked as a teen that I wanted twin girls named Julie and Lucy. My daughter isn't named either of those things, but even if she were, her name would be a hell of a lot better than Ryker Cruise!

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

It's not. The names come from separate entities. They haven't said how they found Ryker, but they have admitted that Cruise is after Tom. 

Bate PR 101: 

Hey, do you think the public would be upset at a police officer naming their child after a New York Prison that has many human right's violation? 

Nah, just change the i to a y and say it is German. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I mean, I clearly adore Julie Andrews (and Lucille Ball in roughly equal measure), and I joked as a teen that I wanted twin girls named Julie and Lucy. My daughter isn't named either of those things, but even if she were, her name would be a hell of a lot better than Ryker Cruise!

I think naming your kid after someone you don’t personally know is typically a bad idea. What about all those folks who named their babies after Richard Nixon when he became president? Whoops, that name actually became less popular for newborn babies after watergate. 

• I Agree 3

I think it was dumb of Trace to admit that he likes Tom Cruise enough that he spelled his son’s middle name that way. He’s making an idol out of a person whose faith is totally contradictory to theirs, which should be the most important thing you could admire about someone (like Spurgeon). The name Cruz is around 300 on the current baby name listing in the U.S., so somewhat usual, and it means “cross.” That would have been a been a better choice.

• Upvote 5

I have to say that I admired that when Trace answered the "Kissed before their wedding?" question, he looked straight at the camera and said, "Yes we did" and made no apologies or excuses. If you're going to do something, own it and if you don't think you did anything wrong, you don't need to apologize (see Zach and Whitney).

• Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I have to say that I admired that when Trace answered the "Kissed before their wedding?" question, he looked straight at the camera and said, "Yes we did" and made no apologies or excuses. If you're going to do something, own it and if you don't think you did anything wrong, you don't need to apologize (see Zach and Whitney).

I bet Zach and Whit wouldn’t apologize today. I think they were still young and susceptible to being guilt tripped by Kelly and Gil. But they’ve matured and they probably realize it was no big deal.

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic