IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

I’ve watched way too much Law &Order and murder shows to ever name a kid Ryker. All I think of is Rikers Island. I am now imagining Ryker Cruise is the ferry you take to Rikers Island. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 5

There is an under-10 Ryker in our neighborhood who is a menace. One day we saw him on the roof of his house while we were walking around the neighborhood. We spotted his parents down the street and were like “uhhhh your child is on your roof” and they were just like “oh okay…” and casually kept walking towards the house. 

• WTF 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, clueliss said:

They’re saying Ryker means rich and that Cruise means bold, fierce.  

“Rich” when combined with “Cruise” means “rich boat” to me. “Cruise” also makes me think of Tom Cruise. Oh well, not my name preference but not my kid. And it fits right in with the current crop of trendy names. Could be a lot worse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

As you would expect, the internet gives multiple meanings to the name Cruise. Yes one site says it means bold but another says it means cross. Like the crucifixion cross. You would think they would jump at that meaning. 

• Upvote 1

To each their own, imo it sounds super harsh.  To me it's almost as bad as Kolter.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

As you would expect, the internet gives multiple meanings to the name Cruise. Yes one site says it means bold but another says it means cross. Like the crucifixion cross. You would think they would jump at that meaning. 

They said in the video that the Cruz spelling was crucifixion and the Cruise spelling was bold, fierce. Lydia preferred the Cruz spelling. Trace prefers the Cruise spelling and the baby will be "fierce for his love of Christ". 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1

So they named their kid for a prison and the world's most famous Scientilogist. Brilliant! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Sooo they name their kid after Commander Riker from Star Trek ? How cool 😉

I think this might have been a topic somewhere here, but I always had (and still have to be honest) a huge crush on him.  Or on Jonathan Frakes, because well, fiction and reality, I know. Sigh.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Nameberry credits Ryker as being "German in Origin" and it actually would be pretty pronounceavle in German (just with a more American spelling). 

I am German and I’m wondering where nameberry came up with that because Ryker is neither a name nor a word in German (at least none that I have ever heard of). Actually I just looked up Ryker on a German name website and under languages it just said English, Danish and Dutch. 

Edited by Mar
Double post
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I didnt expect Trace and Lydia to go for such trendy names. They seem to have the same taste in names as Evan and Carlin, even had Knox and Crew in their names shortlist  like them. To think they will be fighting over those names! When they said they wanted a name that worked in german i was expecting something like Leo...

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Nameberry credits Ryker as being "German in Origin" and it actually would be pretty pronounceavle in German (just with a more American spelling). 

Sorry to disagree, but I don't think that's true. I mean it's pronounceable in the sense that there are no sounds that are completely impossible for German speakers (though some of them would mess up the "r" sound). But a German who doesn't speak English would definitely not get the pronunciation right - my MIL for example would end up with something like "reeker".

I also don't see which German name it's supposed to be related to, unless maybe Richard. But that's a) pronounced completely differently and b) not really a commonly used name these days. All the Richards I know are pushing seventy, at least.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Sooooo- I haven’t heard how they pronounce it but every German would pronounce Ryker like the Riker from Riker’s Island. And Cruise is pronounced just like (Tom) Cruise. Also the translation of cruise= the boat holiday thing is well known too.
So, while there won’t be problems in terms of pronunciation those names have absolutely no ties to Germany. Let’s see if they come up with some weird fabricated connections (which seems a big thing in the US? Or at least in Fundie culture. Most people don’t really care if there is a deeper meaning - it’s just a name. They might look for any horrible connections, like it being a curse word in a language they might encounter but in the end there much less emphasis on fabricating some long story about how it’s the a derivative from the 9th century and definitely means “he who will invent Twitter” or whatever.). And there are so many made up stories on the web about where names come from, it’s actually funny.

It’s hyper US American to my ears but as they live in the US I see no problem with that. Just don’t make it out to be something different.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

but every German would pronounce Ryker like the Riker from Riker’s Island.

Almost every German, but that’s because almost every German knows basic English and/or has watched Star Trek. Old people, out in the countryside, not so much (which is why, to me, it’s not a “name that works in both languages”).

A friend of mine from school married an American and named her son Hunter, and the older German relatives definitely struggled…

ETA: Obviously, they're perfectly free to give their kid a super American name, if that's what they like. People can and will learn how to pronounce it. But if they really wanted a "bilingual" name, I can think of about a hundred others that would have fit the bill better.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Mar said:

I am German and I’m wondering where nameberry came up with that because Ryker is neither a name nor a word in German (at least none that I have ever heard of). Actually I just looked up Ryker on a German name website and under languages it just said English, Danish and Dutch. 

I was looking through the naming sites and one said Ryker derives from the German word “reich.” And any American would immediately think “third reich” when they hear the word reich. Because that’s the only reference most have. And I would never want to think of third reich. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 11

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was looking through the naming sites and one said Ryker derives from the German word “reich.” And any American would immediately think “third reich” when they hear the word reich. Because that’s the only reference most have. And I would never want to think of third reich. 

Oh wow, what if that’s what they do mean though? We know the Bates had their glory wall of famous white supremacists. 

Also Ryker and Reicher are pronounced basically the same in an American accent. 

Edited by lumpentheologie

2 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Oh wow, what if that’s what they do mean though? We know the Bates had their glory wall of famous white supremacists. 

I doubt it. I see the Bateses as just too dumb to try to make a connection that subtle. They are the type to name a kid Cohen and not understand why it could be offensive to Jewish people. They just don’t think things through. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Ryker has more Dutch than German origins. It means ‘richer’ in Dutch and Rijk (rich) is actually an old fashioned name here. ‘ij’ is a Dutch equivalent of y, often even written like y but with dots.

This is how I would pronounce it with the Dutch ‘ij’

https://forvo.com/word/rijker/

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

11 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Ryker has more Dutch than German origins. It means ‘richer’ in Dutch and Rijk (rich) is actually an old fashioned name here. ‘ij’ is a Dutch equivalent of y, often even written like y but with dots.

This is how I would pronounce it with the Dutch ‘ij’

https://forvo.com/word/rijker/

Now that you mention it, I believe there's a Frisian/North German name "Reik" or "Raik" that's probably a variant of the Dutch name. I just didn't make the connection because of the missing -er.
Either way, it's not a super common name in Germany, and certainly not in the area Lydia's family comes from. My guess is that nameberry put "German" instead of "Low German" (which isn't the same thing at all), and that's where things went sideways... 

Ei and ij have the same sound in Dutch so reik/rijk definitely has the same origin.

Next to rich, it also means realm.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Sooo they name their kid after Commander Riker from Star Trek ? How cool 😉

I think this might have been a topic somewhere here, but I always had (and still have to be honest) a huge crush on him.  Or on Jonathan Frakes, because well, fiction and reality, I know. Sigh.

And Riker is PROGRESSIVE. Like, remember, there was an episode where the women had 'stalks' and the men had holes and the woman wanted to leave her planet, and she and riker had sexy time. He's just sexual. 

Also, yeah, TRACTION (there's a book called Imzadi where that word comes into play). J'adore Riker (or Frakes!).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Ryker really does not sound German. If they want to find a way to make it German, I agree, it does sound like reich, like third reich. 

I should have stuck to my original guesses of trendy American names lol. When I think German boys names I think of names like Leo, Noah or William. 

EDIT: Damn, just went back to check, one of my original guesses were Rylen. So close lol! (Then I ended up changing guesses to more pan-Western European names) 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 2

I’m just glad he’s not Trace Ryker. Because Trace is a nickname for a kid who is a third (III). Like Trip or Trey. Because that would sound like Third Reich for sure. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 5/13/2023 at 12:17 PM, just_ordinary said:

So, while there won’t be problems in terms of pronunciation those names have absolutely no ties to Germany. Let’s see if they come up with some weird fabricated connections (which seems a big thing in the US? Or at least in Fundie culture.

Yep. Absolutely nothing German about this name whatsoever. Never heard it, there is no similar German name or word, nothing. Of course they are free to call their kid whatever they like, but it’s ridiculous to make it sound like this had anything to do with Lydia’s German background. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic