IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

After I had my 9 pounder, the hospital kept wanting to check his blood sugar because they were worried they missed gestational diabetes. I always passed my gestational diabetes tests perfectly and I let them know that big babies run in my family. We are a very large people 😬 but they still kept pricking his little foot. And he was fine. No undetected gestation al diabetes. All normal blood sugars. I assume they just want to be extra sure. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

My sister had gestational diabetes and the doctor wanted to induce. The hospital’s birthing center was filled and the hospital kept putting off admitting her for the induction.  It was several days before she got in and her baby was 10 lbs 3 oz and had meconium in his lungs. This was back in the day, mid 90s, when they didn’t do ultrasounds unless it was medically necessary, and they didn’t consider this case to be medically necessary. And he was born at 9 p.m. and discharged at 9 p.m. the next night. Also the era of one night hospital stays.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

After I had my 9 pounder, the hospital kept wanting to check his blood sugar because they were worried they missed gestational diabetes. I always passed my gestational diabetes tests perfectly and I let them know that big babies run in my family. We are a very large people 😬 but they still kept pricking his little foot. And he was fine. No undetected gestation al diabetes. All normal blood sugars. I assume they just want to be extra sure. 

Over a certain weight (in the olden days it was 8-9) there is a BS protocol that is followed. Same for babies born on the smaller size for gestational age.

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was a LGA baby. My mother was told at one point her dates were wrong and that she must be a month further along than she thought and she went with it (even though she was pretty convinced of her dates). They induced her a week before her due date because the doctor was going on vacation (oh the 80s) and surprise, surprise I had under-developed lungs and had to stay in the hospital for an extra week. But I was over 8 lbs

TBT, these can be some of the sickest babies in the NICU.  Pulmonary hypertension is a very serious condition where babies’ lungs have a difficult time converting to life outside the womb and the pressure in their pulmonary artery raises dangerously high, preventing blood from getting to the lungs. These are the babies that need special ventilation, NO treatments and sometimes ECMO. 

I cared for many of these babies in the 80-90s. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I realize that, but none of my children when actually delivered had the problems I was told they had.  The same with the people at work and my daughter.  The children were all normal.  I did have one person I knew at work where she definitely had a problem and the infant almost died in the NICU.  I realize it can be a real problem, but my life experience is that it's brought up as a problem or a potential problem more often than it truly manifests.  Other people's experience may obviously vary.  I realize doctors have to say this *could* happen, but then please don't harangue me over it.  

With IUGR babes, having no issues at birth often means it was the right call to deliver at that time. Because if the placenta starts to break down, we can see babes become unwell and not cope well after birth. Medicine is rarely a perfect science, but there are multiple factors we consider when discussing early delivery. And of course this should always be discussed with the patient in order to have shared decision-making. On the flip side, I’ve seen LGA babies born at 11-12lb+ who do not cope well after birth at all (sometimes with persistent pulmonary hypertension where they’re very unwell). As I said above, it’s always a balance of the risks vs benefits in everything we do. I do think we’re exceptionally lucky to live in a time where we have access to modern medicine and diagnostics that help us make these decisions. 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Keys said:

With IUGR babes, having no issues at birth often means it was the right call to deliver at that time.

That’s what I thought when reading all these “doctors were wrong, all went well” posts. Maybe all went well BECAUSE doctors looked closely and took some precautions.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 9/13/2023 at 10:54 PM, raayx01 said:

Lydia wanted the spelling Cruz, it means something biblical, but Trace wanted Cruise cause it means embolden or something. Trace won

Cruz is cross in Spanish. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Cruz is cross in Spanish. 

My child has a friend named Cruz. I’ve always preferred it to Cruise. Mostly because I’m not a Tom Cruise fan. Plus I like shorter names for some reason. I can’t help but think Ryker Cruz would look less like a ferry to Riker’s island because it means cross, not cruise. 

• Upvote 5

Trace posted a video on their YouTube channel that Lydia and her family could face Deportation! He says he would go with her to Germany if she is deported. They are looking to get a separate case for Lydia since she married Trace. I've been to Germany and it's a wonderful country! Not 3rd world or anything like that. All because of homeschooling. I wonder if the USA government feels the same way that asking for religious asylum from Germany isn't really an issue. It be interesting to see how it plays out. Trace made sure to blame the Obama Administration for not helping Lydia's family. Lydia's 2 youngest sisters were born in USA. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 6

For anyone who watches their videos, Trace put out a video today about the citizenship status of Lydia and her parents/siblings. Apparently, Lydia and her family are facing "self-deportation."

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

For anyone who watches their videos, Trace put out a video today about the citizenship status of Lydia and her parents/siblings. Apparently, Lydia and her family are facing "self-deportation."

But the littlest kids were born in the US right? So is it different for each person in the family? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But the littlest kids were born in the US right? So is it different for each person in the family? 

From his garbled mess of a message, The youngest two were born in the US, but would probably go back with their parents to Germany rather than be separated. 

Lydia and her brother who are both married to US citizens are an interesting conundrum. There was a lawsuit to grant asylum and a path to citizenship for the whole family. Trace and Lydia have their own attorney now and asked if she can stay because she married a US citizen and just had a baby (she was still pregnant when this came up). They (she and her brother) are trying to be removed from the family's original lawsuit and formally begin the process of citizenship fast-tracking due to marriage. 

If they are required to self-deport, Lydia would currently need to go back. Ryker would be allowed to stay, but that doesn't really work well with a newborn. Trace says that if they go back to Germany then he's going with them. I will keep my thoughts on that to myself because I was about to lobby Germany to keep him.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

From his garbled mess of a message, The youngest two were born in the US, but would probably go back with their parents to Germany rather than be separated. 

Lydia and her brother who are both married to US citizens are an interesting conundrum. There was a lawsuit to grant asylum and a path to citizenship for the whole family. Trace and Lydia have their own attorney now and asked if she can stay because she married a US citizen and just had a baby (she was still pregnant when this came up). They (she and her brother) are trying to be removed from the family's original lawsuit and formally begin the process of citizenship fast-tracking due to marriage. 

If they are required to self-deport, Lydia would currently need to go back. Ryker would be allowed to stay, but that doesn't really work well with a newborn. Trace says that if they go back to Germany then he's going with them. I will keep my thoughts on that to myself because I was about to lobby Germany to keep him.

So those who came by illegal means will need to self deport to Germany and secure Visas to legally visit the US? My SIL is from So America. His visa expired during Covid and when he last tried to secure a new Visa, the US State dept was not issuing any Visas to those from his country. He is married to a US/EU citizen and has a daughter who is a dual citizen. Too bad, so sad. 

Fast tracking citizenship? Does she have unique skills that what would put her on that track? Marriage doesn’t fast track you to the front of the line. Neither does parenthood.

How about they follow the laws?

• Upvote 12

44 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So those who came by illegal means will need to self deport to Germany and secure Visas to legally visit the US? My SIL is from So America. His visa expired during Covid and when he last tried to secure a new Visa, the US State dept was not issuing any Visas to those from his country. He is married to a US/EU citizen and has a daughter who is a dual citizen. Too bad, so sad. 

Fast tracking citizenship? Does she have unique skills that what would put her on that track? Marriage doesn’t fast track you to the front of the line. Neither does parenthood.

How about they follow the laws?

I may have misunderstood some of it, as Trace is hard to understand. He uses words incorrectly or portions of words instead of the whole thing. For example, he said (a few times), "they must apply for citizen" rather than citizenship. He was also throwing a lot of conservative propaganda in there. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Do they even realize that they support politics aiming to make staying in the US even harder, if not impossible, for Lydia and her family? I bet they’d lobby for deportation for any women from Mexico or (even worse!) a country with a strong Islamic or Hindu background. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

Please stay in the US - we do not want people with these views here in Germany. Even though it might be better for little Ryker - at least he’d get a proper education here and be exposed to more varied views, with no home schooling possible.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

2 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Do they even realize that they support politics aiming to make staying in the US even harder, if not impossible, for Lydia and her family? I bet they’d lobby for deportation for any women from Mexico or (even worse!) a country with a strong Islamic or Hindu background. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

Please stay in the US - we do not want people with these views here in Germany. Even though it might be better for little Ryker - at least he’d get a proper education here and be exposed to more varied views, with no home schooling possible.

He did blame the Obama administration within the first few minutes of the video 🙄

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

It is incredibly ironic that this family is special and called by the Lord to come to the US but everyone else seeking asylum here are just illegal freeloaders?? I just can't with these people. Why does he support the Republican Party?!?!?! It is just like the Republican Party members that are so against abortion.. unless it is THEIR mistress that is pregnant. It is so hypocritical. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, gobucks said:

It is incredibly ironic that this family is special and called by the Lord to come to the US but everyone else seeking asylum here are just illegal freeloaders?? I just can't with these people

It’s crazy.

If you seek asylum and aren’t granted asylum, you are illegal. It’s as simple as that.

Do I think it’s fair (or makes sense) to deport people who arrived illegally years ago as children and have made a life for themselves in the US? No, I don’t. But (at least based on my limited understanding of US politics) when the Obama administration tried working on this issue, conservative Republicans were against that.

I guess it’s “a completely different situation” for some reason if white fundamentalist illegal immigrants want to stay…

• Upvote 21

I don’t have a good understanding of the situation or of the US system for dealing with these situations, so I was just reading this article about their family from 2014, and found it interesting. It mentions that they would be able to stay in the US for at least until the end of the Obama administration. So I find it confusing that Trace is blaming Obama? I agree with others who said it seems very hypocritical given the republicans were advocating for stricter border control (if I understand correctly). 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26454988.amp

Edited to add that there is also a quote from Lydia’s father about how they’re happy and willing to go wherever the Lord leads them. 

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Keys said:

Edited to add that there is also a quote from Lydia’s father about how they’re happy and willing to go wherever the Lord leads them. 

** Except a public school in Germany apparently. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 26
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, Keys said:

I don’t have a good understanding of the situation or of the US system for dealing with these situations, so I was just reading this article about their family from 2014, and found it interesting. It mentions that they would be able to stay in the US for at least until the end of the Obama administration. So I find it confusing that Trace is blaming Obama? I agree with others who said it seems very hypocritical given the republicans were advocating for stricter border control (if I understand correctly). 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26454988.amp

My understanding is that they arrived during the Obama administration and therefore were dealing with Obama's ICE and cabinet on the asylum request. While Trace and Lydia's father (in older videos) state that Obama denied the request for asylum, their request was denied on the grounds that being fined for not following a law is not persecution. If the law states you don't do something, you fight the law and try to get a new law. You don't break it and then act shocked when you are fined and your children are removed from your custody (temporarily for that family). They appealed the denial to the Immigration Appeals Board. They went on television and radio (Glenn Beck, Huckabee, etc.) and on church speaking tours. Trace earlier said he and the other Bates heard Lydia's parents or heard of them and prayed for them. There was a petition and supposedly people were demanding that Obama reverse the denial and explain why it happened. Meanwhile, Lydia's father was giving interviews that he and his family were seeking religious freedom but that the US was in danger of losing that under Obama. Then why did they come to the US? They claimed that under Obama that cabinet members had said it would not be unconstitutional to ban homeschooling. 

The Immigration Appeals Board denied their request for asylum and the federal court system upheld that denial. They then filed a lawsuit and tried to get it up to the Supreme Court. That didn't work and the case wasn't ever heard at that level. So in around 2014 they were offered indefinite status. That meant they weren't under immediate threat of deportation but couldn't go forward with citizenship either. It is a supervised status, meaning they have to register each and every year in order to get work visas and even be able to drive. However, they can't have a US passport and can't really leave the country because they would probably not be allowed back in the US. Lydia was quoted in an article around their wedding that she wanted a passport to take Trace to Germany to show him where she was born.

Per the video today from Trace, Lydia and her family went to the yearly appointment and were asked about their passports from Germany. I'm not clear on if they have those or not. I'm thinking not. They were told rather than a year from now they need to come back in a few months. Trace said they were facing self deportation. The problem here is that we only have Trace's account and he's not really the sharpest tool in the shed. 

A few other things of note: 

Lydia was part of her parents lawsuit, as was her married brother. They have petitioned or been taken off said lawsuit so that they can pursue residency and citizenship because they are married to US citizens. In many such cases, the undocumented spouse must return to the birth country and file for residency from there. It appears that Trace was thinking Lydia could skip that part of things. 

Some people have questioned why the US government is suddenly paying attention to the family. I would say it is probably two fold. 

1. They have been vocal critics of the government while trying to seek political asylum here. That is a red flag to the government. However, I don't see anything that would indicate why the US is worried about them now from that standpoint.

2. The timing that is significant is that Lydia was visibly pregnant during the visit to do the paperwork this time. Immigration officials might have made note of that and realized the family was becoming more and more entrenched into US life. If the US was going to remove them or deport them, the fact that the family is marrying off children, having grandchildren, etc. could have triggered some sort of review. 

3. In the video that the Romeike family put out, the father claims that Immigration officials told him that his family was on deferred status but offered no paperwork to support that. He claimed he asked for it and that the official said, "you just have to trust us." I'm not sure I buy that story.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 8

22 minutes ago, gobucks said:

** Except a public school in Germany apparently. 

Yeah, fundies never come to the conclusion that whatever is inconvenient for them may simply be the lord’s will… 

I’m sure they’d struggle in Germany, even with no more school aged children. In the US, they have a community of like-minded people, their views are common enough that, while not exactly mainstream, at least in their area and circle of friends, they are just part of the religious/political spectrum, at the very right, conservative end, but still normal enough. In Germany, they would be isolated. They would be part of tiny church of people with similar beliefs, but they would be considered a cult by everyone else. And some of the hate fundies spew would be considered a crime here. It would be very different from the US.

EDIT: And I actually think this is one reason why they went to the US in the first place. They could have gone to other European countries (I think there are quite a few where home schooling is permitted, I’ve heard about other fundamentalists moving to Austria (?) I think, which is just across the border). They would not even have needed a visa or anything, people are free to move between EU member states and settle down wherever they like. But I guess Austria would still have been too liberal for them, they wanted to be in a place where they wouldn’t be socially isolated, the odd ones out and labeled a cult, which is probably (ISB) at least in part why they went to the US.

Edited by GreenBeans
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Yeah, fundies never come to the conclusion that whatever is inconvenient for them may simply be the lord’s will… 

I’m sure they’d struggle in Germany, even with no more school aged children. In the US, they have a community of like-minded people, their views are common enough that, while not exactly mainstream, at least in their area and circle of friends, they are just part of the religious/political spectrum, at the very right, conservative end, but still normal enough. In Germany, they would be isolated. They would be part of tiny church of people with similar beliefs, but they would be considered a cult by everyone else. And some of the hate fundies spew would be considered a crime here. It would be very different from the US.

EDIT: And I actually think this is one reason why they went to the US in the first place. They could have gone to other European countries (I think there are quite a few where home schooling is permitted, I’ve heard about other fundamentalists moving to Austria (?) I think, which is just across the border). They would not even have needed a visa or anything, people are free to move between EU member states and settle down wherever they like. But I guess Austria would still have been too liberal for them, they wanted to be in a place where they wouldn’t be socially isolated, the odd ones out and labeled a cult, which is probably (ISB) at least in part why they went to the US.

My thoughts exactly, most countries in the EU allow homeschooling and they can go to any in the EEA with EU passports. But they do tend to have stricter rules than the US and as you say they don't have the 'advantage' of a community of very conservative, very religious homeschoolers.

• Upvote 3

I do feel sorry for Lydia since she was a minor when her parents took this decision for her, but none for her parents. They had legal ways to inmigrate the the US as german citizens, they also had lots of other countries they could have inmigrated legally and easily and were homeschooling is legal. I also find it funny that "january 6" Trace has found himself in this situation.

If they get deported to Germany at least their vlogs will be interesting for once!

Wonder what will happen with their rental they just renovated including a full bathroom renovation, maybe one of the younger brothers will move in.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

As a European, I actually assumed that Lydia would be okay since she married a US citizen. Maybe go to Germany during the process but still. If it does not work that way, how does the ‘30 day fiancé’-thing works then?

11 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Okay a few clarifications based on my experience in working in immigration processes:

-You apply for asylum, not sue for it. They tries that after the denial, it didn't work. None of this is a lawsuit, because the family is on the defensive not offensive and they are not entitled to it. Any current lawsuit i think they mean they are appealing their original asylum and withholding application denial and trying to get the withholding of removal which they previously got via deferred action.

- They are not starting nor fast tracking the path to citizenship, they are starting the process to adjust to lawful permanent residency for Lydia i.e a conditional green card. That is its own process. It involves an interview to demonstrate their marriage is legitimate and not for the purposes of the green card. Once she has her green card and meets all conditions for 3 years she can apply for start the citizenship/naturalization process which can take upwards of a year itself.

It's crazy though how both he and the commenters make statements like "they've been here 15 years and never committed crimes!!!!" like that doesn't happen every single day to innocent families who also include kids born in the US and those seeking asylum. The cognitive dissonance is disgusting.

9 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

As a European, I actually assumed that Lydia would be okay since she married a US citizen. Maybe go to Germany during the process but still. If it does not work that way, how does the ‘30 day fiancé’-thing works then?

The reason her situation is not like those in that show is that she already has a case with the US immigration system and now has to leave one and case and start another - it would have been wise to do that before marriage and then start over and follow the 30 day fiance route, including going back to Germany and coming back on the K1 fiance visa for the wedding. 

Instead, they waited until after marriage and deportation to say "hi I need asylum no nevermind I married a US citizen no asylum needed for me!" which is complex bc even though it all goes through USCIS, asylum and green cards are different departments, paperwork, and processes. They fucked up and I feel bad because it's confusing not only to them but millions of other victims of the system, but also they went about this the wrong way and/or got bad legal advice and that makes it harder to emphasize. 

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic