IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

On 5/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mar said:

I am German and I’m wondering where nameberry came up with that because Ryker is neither a name nor a word in German (at least none that I have ever heard of). Actually I just looked up Ryker on a German name website and under languages it just said English, Danish and Dutch. 

Another German here. I mean, maybe they’ll choose something like Rick as a nickname. That would work in German, too. And while Ryker isn’t a German name by any stretch, I guess it’s easy for most German speakers to pronounce. 

• Upvote 5

Boo they have ruined a possible future pet name for me. I love William Thomas Riker, My next boy animal would have been Riker or Mulder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Another German here. I mean, maybe they’ll choose something like Rick as a nickname. That would work in German, too. And while Ryker isn’t a German name by any stretch, I guess it’s easy for most German speakers to pronounce. 

another german here....

https://www.houseofnames.com/ryker-family-crest

Early Notables of the Ryker family (pre 1700)

Notables of the time with the surname Ryker were Petrus Reich von Reichenstein, who was the Bishop of Basel in 1286. Gottfried Reiche (1667-1734), was German trumpet player and composer of the Baroque era, Johann Sebastian Bach's chief trumpeter. Julius Reichelt (1637-1717), was a German mathematician and astronomer who may have set up the first observatory in the city of Strasbourg. The...
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ryker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Ryker Spelling Variations

Spelling variations of this family name include: Reich, Reiche, Reichs, Reicher, Reick, Reicke, Reicker, Reichers, Rike, Ryke, Rycke, Reichle, Reichel, Riker and many more.

or 

Ryker is a given name with different origins. It may be a transferred use of a surname of German origin.[1] or a surname derived from a Dutch diminutive of Richard.[2]

It is currently a well-used name for boys in the United States.[3] Usage of the name might have increased due to association with the Star Trek: The Next Generation character William Riker.[4] It is a name that is notably more commonly used by whites in rural states of the United States compared with those in more urban areas. [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryker_(given_name)

AS for my name, i always thought was associated with a tribe that was defeated by Romulus and Remus creating Rome/Roman Empire. Sabine - rape of the Sabines (play by Shakespear), St. Sabine - Faithful Widow. But a Muslim friend from Pakistan told me that the name is also very popular in Pakistan and other Muslim countries. So i went looking.  And found the tribe of the Sabeans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabaeans#:~:text=science of logic.-,Bible,as "tall of stature".  A people who are kind of claimed by all three abrahamic religions in one form or another. And who may be the tribe that gave all of us Sabines, Sabrinas, Sabinas, Shabeens our name.  A much better source of origin for a female name then a bunch of stolen females who were enslaved and bred to create the roman empire. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Boo they have ruined a possible future pet name for me. I love William Thomas Riker, My next boy animal would have been Riker or Mulder. 

I get it. Maybe get a Thomas W. Riker? 

If they user mulder, it's over. Seriously, people... 

• Love 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:13 PM, FluffySnowball said:

Dutch here ,  i ve never met a ryker in 44 years . Its extremely usa sounding to my ears

Edited by ven
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

When I grew up a boy in my neighbourhood was called Rijk, which is a very old fashioned Dutch name, as @CarrotCake mentioned as well. 
I think Ryker has more Dutch origins than German, but Ryker in itself is definitely American. I like the name, but I love Star Trek and I love Altered Carbon and that has very much influenced my opinion on the name.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Marly said:

When I grew up a boy in my neighbourhood was called Rijk, which is a very old fashioned Dutch name, as @CarrotCake mentioned as well. 
I think Ryker has more Dutch origins than German, but Ryker in itself is definitely American. I like the name, but I love Star Trek and I love Altered Carbon and that has very much influenced my opinion on the name.

There are even some famous men called Rijk (Rijk de Gooijer, Rijk Hofman) but indeed, I checked and Ryker/Rijker does not exist as name (<5 people).

• Upvote 3

Rijk means wealthy in Dutch . Its  like let's applaud for Dr wealthy. M  Stevenson. It was never an old  dutch name   maybe  if you have the equivalent of karissa c. Living next door with making names hipper than hip + speshul spellings maybe

Edited by ven
  • Upvote 2

He’s gonna be a great big brother when you have his little sibling Alcatraz! 

Dead 😂

Here’s the best part about Trey posting this. His comedy is extremely family friendly. He’s a Christian and he doesn’t cuss much in his comedy and he keeps it fairly PG. which means fundies consume his content. Trace and Lydia will absolutely be bombarded today with shares and messages telling them Trey Kennedy made a joke about their name reveal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

On 5/14/2023 at 8:38 PM, AussieKrissy said:

My next boy animal would have been Riker or Mulder. 

You can still have a Riker and he'll probably have more career options than this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

So many of the G3 B’s kids have names that look like 2, 15YO parents selected them. Kolter, Zade, Chloe with a K, Lexi (not short for Alexa)…

In this 1 area, the G2 Duggars have done a better job. Charlie, Grace, Sam, Michael, Frederick, Henry and Ivy are all better names than any that the G2 B’s have bestowed on their offspring. OK, Charlotte is lovely. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • I Agree 4

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So many of the G3 B’s kids have names that look like 2, 15YO parents selected them. Kolter, Zade, Chloe with a K, Lexi (not sort for Alexa)…

In this 1 area, the G2 Duggars have done a better job. Charlie, Grace, Sam, Michael, Frederick, Henry and Ivy are all better names than any that the G2 B’s have bestowed on their offspring. OK, Charlotte is lovely. 

I totally agree. Honestly, if you take out Spurgeon, Brynley, and Gunner, the Grandduggars have genuinely okay-to-nice names. The Grandbateses are largely cutsie and annoying.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 2

35 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

I totally agree. Honestly, if you take out Spurgeon, Brynley, and Gunner, the Grandduggars have genuinely okay-to-nice names. The Grandbateses are largely cutsie and annoying.

Except for Jinger, the J kids have fairly decent names. So it seems there’s a pretty mainstream naming style in the Duggar family. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Except for Jinger, the J kids have fairly decent names. So it seems there’s a pretty mainstream naming style in the Duggar family. 

The Bates pick mainstream names too. Most of their kids have names in the top 1000 of the current year when they're born. The names they pick probably wouldn't be given a second glance in a public school.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The Bates pick mainstream names too. Most of their kids have names in the top 1000 of the current year when they're born. The names they pick probably wouldn't be given a second glance in a public school.

I’ve never met a Kolter, Cambree, or Zade in my life. None of those three names are even in the top 1000 names in the social security website. Everly and Holland weren’t ever on the top 1000 until 2012 and 2014. And then on top of that, many of the spellings aren’t mainstream at all (ex Khloe, Maci)

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 3

For us, a big thing when we were picking out name options for our baby was “will this name work for her as an adult if she happens to go into a very professional job?”. In my personal opinion, that’s what I don’t like about a lot of the names they choose. But then I think, they don’t foster an upbringing that allows the kids, and especially the girls, to go into professional job settings. So I guess it doesn’t really matter. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Keys said:

For us, a big thing when we were picking out name options for our baby was “will this name work for her as an adult if she happens to go into a very professional job?”. In my personal opinion, that’s what I don’t like about a lot of the names they choose. But then I think, they don’t foster an upbringing that allows the kids, and especially the girls, to go into professional job settings. So I guess it doesn’t really matter. 

With my kids, we chose names with nicknames built in. So we call them their nicknames now, but as adults, they can go by adult sounding full names. 

Ex: William nicknamed Billy or James nicknamed Jimmy.

• Upvote 1

I generally like both the Bates and Duggar kids names.  Not a huge fan of place names as names, and Henry and Fred sound like old man names to me - but otherwise, none of them have names that I’d have a particularly strong negative opinion of.  None except Spurgeon would sound THAT unusual if it was a class friend of a grandkid. I might need to ask the spelling on several. 

A lot of them seem to hover in the lower part of top 1,000 names, which seems like a good spot. Not a million other kids with you names in your friend group, but not so rare no one can say it. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve never met a Kolter, Cambree, or Zade in my life. None of those three names are even in the top 1000 names in the social security website. Everly and Holland weren’t ever on the top 1000 until 2012 and 2014. And then on top of that, many of the spellings aren’t mainstream at all (ex Khloe, Maci)

Both Khloe and Maci are in the top 1000 with those spellings. Even if the exact names aren't popular, there are similar names in the world. Maybe no one knows someone with that exact name, but it fits in with a lot of the kids in class.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2023 at 1:44 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And then on top of that, many of the spellings aren’t mainstream at all (ex Khloe, Maci)

In the year Khloe Bates was born (2019), Chloe was ranked 24 and Khloe was ranked 136. In the year Maci Webster was born (2021), Maci was ranked 502, Macie 517, and Macy 630, so Maci was actually the most mainstream spelling. And since Khloe was in the top 150 names that year, it was very mainstream.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

In the year Khloe Bates was born (2019), Chloe was ranked 24 and Khloe was ranked 136. In the year Maci Webster was born (2021), Maci was ranked 502, Macie 517, and Macy 630, so Maci was actually the most mainstream spelling. And since Khloe was in the top 150 names that year, it was very mainstream.

But her name has an accent mark, which changes both the sound and spelling. I’m guessing Chloe spelled with a K and containing an accent mark is much lower on that list, if it appears at all. I don’t think the naming parents knew what accent marks are used for.

• Upvote 2

The argument was that the Bates names were mainstream. They aren’t for multiple reasons. 3 names aren’t even on the top 1,000. The nicknames Carson and Kade are definitely not mainstream nicknames for Charles or “the fourth.” They have chosen some spellings that are less common than the usual spellings. This all points to them not being mainstream. If you don’t agree. Then I guess that’s your choice 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

But her name has an accent mark, which changes both the sound and spelling. I’m guessing Chloe spelled with a K and containing an accent mark is much lower on that list, if it appears at all. I don’t think the naming parents knew what accent marks are used for.

Chloé is pretty common where I live but I haven’t seen Khloé. I actually like the eh ending sound better than the ey ending sound. Does the family say it as “ Khloé”? 
My daughter has two Chloés in her dance class and my colleague named her kid Zoé. Of course , I live in a city with a large French Canadian community which makes a difference. My daughter has a standard French Canadian name which her daycare director insisted on Anglicizing and refuses to use her correct name (not her name but think Lisette being changed to Lisa).

• Confused 1
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic