IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

To me it boils down to why is it okay to make huge profits off of people who are sick?

• Upvote 3

I probably should have added that we’re Canadian. So, fortunately, at the current time at least, money/profits aren’t a big part of the equation. The trade off is a very stressed healthcare system that likely isn’t sustainable. But hopefully some changes can be made to make it more sustainable. I *really* empathize with those of you in the US. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Keys said:

And then the appointment take a little longer, you’re running behind, and the next patients are upset.

Just sitting at the OBGYN’s office for my annual checkup. My appointment should have been 45 minutes ago, still waiting. Thanks for reminding me that there are very good reasons to be patient. Someone else needed that extra time more than I need an on-time appointment right now.

With Trace and Lydia, they are so young and uneducated, I am wondering if ignorance is indeed bliss. I would be worried like crazy, researching studies, likely causes and outcomes of IUGR… They simply seem to enjoy the pregnancy and not realize that anything could be seriously wrong. They seem to think it’s all going to be fine, he’s just a bit small but healthy. I wish them well, but am not sure how well equipped they would be in case it turned out that their son is not completely fine and healthy after all.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Just sitting at the OBGYN’s office for my annual checkup. My appointment should have been 45 minutes ago, still waiting. Thanks for reminding me that there are very good reasons to be patient. Someone else needed that extra time more than I need an on-time appointment right now.

With Trace and Lydia, they are so young and uneducated, I am wondering if ignorance is indeed bliss. I would be worried like crazy, researching studies, likely causes and outcomes of IUGR… They simply seem to enjoy the pregnancy and not realize that anything could be seriously wrong. They seem to think it’s all going to be fine, he’s just a bit small but healthy. I wish them well, but am not sure how well equipped they would be in case it turned out that their son is not completely fine and healthy after all.

Ugh I’m sorry. We really do hate to keep people waiting. I hope it didn’t take you too much longer to get in. 

I agree re: ignorance is bliss. On the flip side, when I had my own pregnancy complications, I was terrified because I knew, really, *too* much, about all the potential outcomes and implications. I do think that education is super important though, because people should be given the opportunity to ask questions and understand what’s going on with their bodies. 

• Love 2

10 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

I had an OBGYN who had the most horrendous wait times every single appointment when I was pregnant. I’m not joking. It was every single time. I realized it was how the place was run as the problem. I go to a different person now and my wait times are great. Yes, sometimes it’s because of emergencies. But not always. 

I thought it was interesting that in yesterday's reel by Lydia, she basically confirmed what many of us have said. They went for what is presumably the last OBGYN visit before being induced next week. She point blank said the only question they had was where at the hospital are they to check-in. In the actual exam room she was posing away on the table and Trace was watching or listening to football things on his phone. 

The after report she gave was the baby is looking healthy and induction is still scheduled. I had more questions about the flight I was scheduling yesterday than these two have about her pregnancy and the birth plan. They may (I doubt it) have asked all their questions already, but I would be confirming things. How long does induction typically take? What are indications or concerns we should worry about? What likelihood is there that the baby will have to be in NICU? What percentage of cases like this result in a c-section? Confirm plans for pain management. Ask which doctor, if not the one they were seeing, is scheduled to be there. 

I don't think they know what they should or can ask. The doctor and/or nurse should recognize this, but at the very least Lydia's parents or Kelly and Gil should recognize this. Kelly has clearly done very little in terms of preparing her kids for anything, but most specifically pregnancy and birth. Given how much these people love pregnancy and babies, it is amazing that they are thrown out in the world with so little knowledge. The lack of curiosity is astounding. They just don't seem to care that they are ill-prepared for anything.

• Upvote 8

32 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I thought it was interesting that in yesterday's reel by Lydia, she basically confirmed what many of us have said. They went for what is presumably the last OBGYN visit before being induced next week. She point blank said the only question they had was where at the hospital are they to check-in. In the actual exam room she was posing away on the table and Trace was watching or listening to football things on his phone. 

The after report she gave was the baby is looking healthy and induction is still scheduled. I had more questions about the flight I was scheduling yesterday than these two have about her pregnancy and the birth plan. They may (I doubt it) have asked all their questions already, but I would be confirming things. How long does induction typically take? What are indications or concerns we should worry about? What likelihood is there that the baby will have to be in NICU? What percentage of cases like this result in a c-section? Confirm plans for pain management. Ask which doctor, if not the one they were seeing, is scheduled to be there. 

I don't think they know what they should or can ask. The doctor and/or nurse should recognize this, but at the very least Lydia's parents or Kelly and Gil should recognize this. Kelly has clearly done very little in terms of preparing her kids for anything, but most specifically pregnancy and birth. Given how much these people love pregnancy and babies, it is amazing that they are thrown out in the world with so little knowledge. The lack of curiosity is astounding. They just don't seem to care that they are ill-prepared for anything.

I can easily see a fundie male asking zero questions. They are taught this is for women and they are just to be present. That’s about it. But most fundie women seem to love to read up on birth stuff. I feel like that’s why so many like to become doulas. Or just be there when a family member has a homebirth. It is rather odd that Lydia doesn’t have these questions. Is she in denial? Is this her way of coping? Hard to say. 

• Upvote 5

I can see Lydia just going with the attitude that it’s all in God’s hands and she doesn’t need any more pre-birth anxiety that answers to any questions might provide. I’m a rule follower and for the most part, I would be trusting the medical professionals to make the right decisions, etc. without asking a ton of questions. I took birthing classes, baby care classes, infant CPR and read a lot though. I was 30 years old when I had my first and my parents (dad and stepmother) and in-laws weren’t part of birth preparation at all. I was an adult. But I didn’t have any complications either.

If Lydia does have the answers to all of the scary questions, maybe she’s just not comfortable sharing all those fears on her social media. She still wants to look like a perfect style influencer.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can easily see a fundie male asking zero questions. They are taught this is for women and they are just to be present. That’s about it. But most fundie women seem to love to read up on birth stuff. I feel like that’s why so many like to become doulas. Or just be there when a family member has a homebirth. It is rather odd that Lydia doesn’t have these questions. Is she in denial? Is this her way of coping? Hard to say. 

At this point I'm going with denial. She was saying in the video where she is showing the nursery that she has some premie clothes and some newborn, but she isn't sure if he is going to need the premie or not. She's coming off like Carlin did about the lead levels in Zade's blood test. She said it might cause him to have problems with school.

Most fundie women do love to read up on birth related materials. The Bates women don't seem to be that way though. For the most part they all seem surprised by even the most common of things. Kelly is among them. After 19 births, you would think that woman would have some clue but she didn't know so many things when it came to her daughter's giving birth or even regular things in pregnancy.

I don't want there to be something wrong with the baby, but my mind is always on the practical side. It must be less stressful to just not worry and let whatever happens happen.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

At this point I'm going with denial. She was saying in the video where she is showing the nursery that she has some premie clothes and some newborn, but she isn't sure if he is going to need the premie or not. She's coming off like Carlin did about the lead levels in Zade's blood test. She said it might cause him to have problems with school.

Most fundie women do love to read up on birth related materials. The Bates women don't seem to be that way though. For the most part they all seem surprised by even the most common of things. Kelly is among them. After 19 births, you would think that woman would have some clue but she didn't know so many things when it came to her daughter's giving birth or even regular things in pregnancy.

I don't want there to be something wrong with the baby, but my mind is always on the practical side. It must be less stressful to just not worry and let whatever happens happen.

I see a lot of fundie moms who seem like they are living in denial just to get through the day. Zoo comes to mind. She lives in Zooland. I think Michelle lives in denial too. That’s why she couldn’t attend Josh’s trial. It flew in the face of her denial. I imagine fundie women living the way they do must entail some bit of denial. 

• Upvote 1

I do not know Lydia and what might be going on her mind. But I live with general anxiety disorder and to be honest, I wouldn't read too much on the subject online either. In my case, I know it would make me have an anxiety attack, or make me ruminate incessantly in my mind if I did.

If there are things she can do to act then I hope she can do what is needed. That being said, rapidly checking Intrauterine Growth Restriction online, there isn't much a mother can do except keeping up with her medical appointment, eating a balanced diet, sleep at least 8 hours, and of course no smoking, no drinking nor illegal drug use. If there is nothing else for her to do, then the rest is out of her control. And like my therapist said, worrying too much about something you can't control will only make you feel stressed, sick and awful. All of this to say, maybe she is in denial, maybe not. But it could also be her way of not stressing to much for something she can't control for the moment.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

There's very little more visually hilarious in Bringing Up Bates  than Trace getting trick riding lessons with something that looks like a big old dildo.

• Upvote 3

I think a good balance is always best. 

We had the other extreme with my former SIL. She thought she had read so much online that she knew everything there was to know. Ignored the midwife when she was told go to a professional for more pelvic floor help (had problems for months - still has I think, two years later) and also ignored the advice to supplement with formula as my nephew was losing a lot more weight than is normal after birth and didn't start putting any on for weeks... - she desperately wanted to breastfeed, which I can understand, but just didn't have enough milk. My brother stepped in then, and started supplementing. (Caused a massive argument) 

After my retinal detachment I stated reading everything I could on the subject, it made me feel safe right in the beginning. my emotions were so far shut down that I could do it. A little while later, when emotions started resurfacing even hearing anything remotely related led to panic attacks and dissociation.... now after a few years of therapy I can manage again. 

• Love 5

Per their latest video, Lydia will be induced on Tuesday. She says she will rough it out as long as she can stand it before getting an epidural. She also wants to eat. They were obsessed with food. 

• Upvote 2

I hope it goes smoothly for her.  She's had a rough pregnancy. Lots of cramping.  Can't sleep at night.  I hope that delivery is smooth and easy. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I hope her hospital room doesn't become virus central.  Sounds (from L&T's recent video) like there aren't going to be restrictions on visitors and I doubt that most Bateses and their adjacents will voluntarily mask.  Especially concerning given that the baby might be quite fragile.

Edited by Dandruff

I hope that Lydia looks at how difficult pregnancy is for her, looks at how much work it takes to raise a kid, and then decides to limit the number of children they have. I think Katie was probably surprised by how much pain and work was involved and isn’t in a hurry to get pregnant again right now. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hope that Lydia looks at how difficult pregnancy is for her, looks at how much work it takes to raise a kid, and then decides to limit the number of children they have. I think Katie was probably surprised by how much pain and work was involved and isn’t in a hurry to get pregnant again right now. 

I'm honestly expecting to hear Katie is pregnant again any minute.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I'm honestly expecting to hear Katie is pregnant again any minute.  

In their q + a, T said he wanted his kids close in age. K said she wanted to wait 2-3 years between kids. We will see. She already seems overwhelmed with a baby and a dog. 

• Upvote 4

I think the smallest gap will be almost exactly two years for Katie’s first two babies. And then the second and third will probably be a bigger gap. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It's baby time! I hope Lydia and Ryker are well 

I hope they are too. I’m just guessing that the doctors wouldn’t let her labor too long if they’re concerned about Ryker. So I’m thinking he’s been born by now. Either he’s in the NICU and they’re worried about him or everything is fine and Lydia is curating the perfect birth announcement.

• Upvote 3

Lydia posted around 9:20 pm eastern that it is "baby time". Pics of them in hospital ready to go. We will see how long it takes to get baby here and posted to their socials. Will they do an exclusive or just post right away? Will they have something up for their vlog this weekend since her brother does their editing?

• Upvote 1

I feel like their timelines around posting birth updates are always weird. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a delayed post and he’s already here (especially if induction started last night at midnight)

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic