IGNORED

Trace Bates 3

samurai_sarah

You know what I’m hoping? I hope they couldn’t stand the fact that they were made fun of publicly for their name choice and when he’s born they say, “surprise! He’s Ryan Cruise Bates!”

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You know what I’m hoping? I hope they couldn’t stand the fact that they were made fun of publicly for their name choice and when he’s born they say, “surprise! He’s Ryan Cruise Bates!”

I don't know why people hate the name so much, I get that people think rickers island, but there's Ricker Lynch, Ross Lynch brother. It's not a horrible name. Rikers niece and nephew different story (Super Funk, Sweetie Funk, Storm Funk)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

I don't know why people hate the name so much, I get that people think rickers island, but there's Ricker Lynch, Ross Lynch brother. It's not a horrible name. Rikers niece and nephew different story (Super Funk, Sweetie Funk, Storm Funk)

I think it would be less cringe if it was Ryker William or Ryan Cruise. But Ryker Cruise just sounds like the ferry to Riker’s Island Prison. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it would be less cringe if it was Ryker William or Ryan Cruise. But Ryker Cruise just sounds like the ferry to Riker’s Island Prison. 

I dont like Trace's middle name, Whitfield, but I'm shocked he didn't use it for his first born son.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The name Ryker is popular, so I find it to be a name with strong Love/Hate reactions. I would have preferred the name Ryder to Ryker because of the softer sound. Was Crew one of the names on their list? I’m wondering if the Stew Crew is preventing siblings from using that name. I very much dislike that the name Cruise, or just possibly the spelling, is based on Tom Cruise. It’s kind of a huge indication to me of how shallow Trace and Lydia are, but I think mostly Trace.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

The name Ryker is popular, so I find it to be a name with strong Love/Hate reactions. I would have preferred the name Ryder to Ryker because of the softer sound. Was Crew one of the names on their list? I’m wondering if the Stew Crew is preventing siblings from using that name. I very much dislike that the name Cruise, or just possibly the spelling, is based on Tom Cruise. It’s kind of a huge indication to me of how shallow Trace and Lydia are, but I think mostly Trace.

Crew is the youngest son of Chip and Joanna Gains. So many fundies love them so I always assume fundies might like that name because of the association. Magnolia too. 

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Lydia wanted the spelling Cruz, it means something biblical, but Trace wanted Cruise cause it means embolden or something. Trace won

4 hours ago, raayx01 said:

I dont like Trace's middle name, Whitfield, but I'm shocked he didn't use it for his first born son.

I wonder about the selection of that name. There is a Whitfield County in Georgia right at the Tennessee state line (near Chattanooga). If my Georgia history serves me correct today, it was named after an evangelist named Whitefield.  

• Upvote 1

He’s here - arrived yesterday per the post. They stuck with the name. Hard to tell much from the pic, but looks like Trace’s hand. Glad he says all is well. I hope the labour and delivery went ok for them both. image.thumb.png.c996bdcd7af3606098d76907b0aa8e1e.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

In the last vlog, they said they were planning on putting out another one this Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get too much more from them until then (as it should be! They should be enjoying these moments).

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

In the last vlog, they said they were planning on putting out another one this Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get too much more from them until then (as it should be! They should be enjoying these moments).

Especially in case there are any medical concerns about Ryker. Let’s hope he really is only small, but I could imagine they are running some tests etc…

My son had to be supervised after birth, not in the NICU but still on a different floor hooked up to some monitors, IV medications etc., and while it was nothing too serious in the end, it still consumed a lot of our energy and thoughts during that time.

I can’t imagine feeling obliged to film and release videos for a huge audience in a situation like that. We sent out some quick messages immediately after the birth to close family, but other than that hardly functioned.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

6lbs 8 Oz isn’t that small. He looks good to me. Hopefully he got a clean bill of health. 

43F276B0-DF06-4D29-A7EB-8BE881419C1F.jpeg

That's almost exactly my son's birth size--mine too, for that matter--and he was a few days late but was never flagged as having any growth issues. Hopefully everything is okay with them.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

6lbs 8 Oz isn’t that small. He looks good to me. Hopefully he got a clean bill of health. 

I was thinking that. He is actually one of the bigger Bates grand babies. Bradley, Kaci, Jadon, Khloe, Kenna, Zade, Lily, Allie and Willow were all bigger and all the others were smaller (Zach and Whitney consistently the biggest babies in the family). 

• Upvote 3

6 lbs 8 oz is bigger than both my girls born at 40 weeks, and neither one of them was flagged as having growth issues either. One was 5 lbs 15oz, and the other 6 lbs 3 oz. I know sometimes he has to do with staying on a similar growth pattern though, and my girls were pretty small kids and turning into relatively small adults, though my husband and I are both average height/build. 

• Upvote 2

I'm happy for them that he appears to be healthy and there were no complications. I do hope that this doesn't turn her (or him) into one of those people who will doubt medical professionals because tests indicated a potential issue that didn't materialize. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

6lbs 8 Oz isn’t that small. He looks good to me.

I just googled, and it seems 5 pounds, 8 ounces is the threshold for low birth weight in (near) full term babies. He is WAY above that!

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I just googled, and it seems 5 pounds, 8 ounces is the threshold for low birth weight in (near) full term babies. He is WAY above that!

My niece was 5lbs 9oz at almost 38 wks but she still scored a 10 on the apgar scale.  She's an average size now as a young adult.

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I'm happy for them that he appears to be healthy and there were no complications. I do hope that this doesn't turn her (or him) into one of those people who will doubt medical professionals because tests indicated a potential issue that didn't materialize. 

I'm afraid there are already loads of comments that Doctors were wrong and can't always be trusted. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What's the baby's name? I couldn't quite catch it.

• Haha 12

He's only a few ounces lighter than my second child born at 37 weeks and he's larger overall than my first.   This is one area where even I have trouble trusting possibly not the doctors, but the methods that have been used and are currently used..  For me I was fussed at for three out of three pregnancies that my babies weren't growing properly and I wasn't taking care of myself.  Smallest was almost 6 pounds.  A couple of co-workers were told their babies had IUGR and to stop working, rest more, and various other things.  They both had 7 pound healthy babies.  My daughter was told grandson had IUGR and she insisted they wait for him to be ready to be delivered.  He went past dates and was fine.  If delivered on the preferred schedule, he would have likely not have been.  We just have not been lucky in this one area so yes, I have bad feelings about it and the guilt and needless worry it can bring.  

I'm glad Ryker looks OK and is a good weight and maybe the casual attitude toward a possible problem was the way to go after all.  It didn't have to turn out well, but it seems that for them it has.  I'm sorry she had to go through an induction.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I went post dates both times (Know when I conceived). My oldest was born at 43 weeks, yes +21 days and looked every bit of a prune. She weighed 7-5. My youngest was born at 42 weeks (thought 1st pregnancy might have been a fluke) and weighed 7-6. Had I delivered at 37 weeks, they would have been about 5 lbs each. I carried small, but my doctors were never concerned. I am on the smaller side.

Also, LGA (large for gestational age) babies present with just as many problems as SGAs and even some IUGRs. They notoriously are more feeders, have blood sugar regulation issues and can be floppy (lacking tone).

I suspect Gideon was LGA as Joy was told she had a BS issue, Gideon was born > 10 lbs, yet was quite thin immediately post the newborn stage.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I went post dates both times (Know when I conceived). My oldest was born at 43 weeks, yes +21 days and looked every bit of a prune. She weighed 7-5. My youngest was born at 42 weeks (thought 1st pregnancy might have been a fluke) and weighed 7-6. Had I delivered at 37 weeks, they would have been about 5 lbs each. I carried small, but my doctors were never concerned. I am on the smaller side.

Also, LGA (large for gestational age) babies present with just as many problems as SGAs and even some IUGRs. They notoriously are more feeders, have blood sugar regulation issues and can be floppy (lacking tone).

I suspect Gideon was LGA as Joy was told she had a BS issue, Gideon was born > 10 lbs, yet was quite thin immediately post the newborn stage.

I was a LGA baby. My mother was told at one point her dates were wrong and that she must be a month further along than she thought and she went with it (even though she was pretty convinced of her dates). They induced her a week before her due date because the doctor was going on vacation (oh the 80s) and surprise, surprise I had under-developed lungs and had to stay in the hospital for an extra week. But I was over 8 lbs

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Obstetrical healthcare professional here. The overall size of the baby is not the only marker of health and well-being that we look at. With IUGR, it’s the overall proportions of babe that matter too - for instance, babe can be very tall, but start to show a decrease in growth of the abdomen, which is a concern for the placenta not providing all the nutrients that babe needs. Another thing we look at is the blood flow from the placenta through the umbilical cord, and the blood flow in baby’s brain. These are all markers of how well the placenta is functioning, and it’s the placenta that’s a problem in IUGR. The main point of getting babe out earlier is due to the risk of the placenta degenerating prematurely and increased risk of bad outcome for babe. We don’t know what her placenta looked like - often in these pregnancies, it is small and prematurely starts calcifying. It’s so much more than just baby’s size, and is about risk vs benefit of babe staying in vs being delivered. 

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 22

17 minutes ago, Keys said:

We don’t know what her placenta looked like - often in these pregnancies, it is small and prematurely starts calcifying. It’s so much more than just baby’s size, and is about risk vs benefit of babe staying in vs being delivered. 

They mentioned in one of their videos that the placenta's cord wasn't in a good location and they were concerned with the placenta giving out prior to 40 weeks. 

• Thank You 3

I realize that, but none of my children when actually delivered had the problems I was told they had.  The same with the people at work and my daughter.  The children were all normal.  I did have one person I knew at work where she definitely had a problem and the infant almost died in the NICU.  I realize it can be a real problem, but my life experience is that it's brought up as a problem or a potential problem more often than it truly manifests.  Other people's experience may obviously vary.  I realize doctors have to say this *could* happen, but then please don't harangue me over it.  

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic