IGNORED

Katie and Travis 5: Baby Makes Three

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Smash! said:

What I would like more than banning those bags is to recycle them: One of the grocery stores here just started a project where you can buy big bags, fill them with all the plastic you‘d usually throw in the trash, return the bag and they recycle it.

Unfortunately most plastic doesn't get recycled, especially in the USA.

I wish they sold better reusable bags. Waaaasy back in the day I had a nice set of heavy duty canvas ones designed for doing grocery (1 bag had pockets to hold the others). A good 15 plus years ago a family member bought a whole bunch of the ones walmart sold at the time,  made from some sort of heavy polyester? fabric, and embroidered everybody's names on with her embroidery machine. I'm still using them(plus some without name from same time). They were very strong. Almost like the material they make for garden weed control.  

Nowadays they sell plastic bags that fall apart. My friend keeps buying them and then they rip up and because it's that hard plastic type "fabric" they don't repair well. Such a waste.

Anybody not at least KNOWING about reusable bags is an idiot at this point. My gramma knows about them and vaguely attempts to remember then when shopping. She's over 90, conservative, trump_ish etc. No excuses. 

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Crazy duplicate posts. Oops!
  • Upvote 4

On 5/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

I saw that and shouted as my screen "get reusable bags dummy! it doesn't have to be like that". Common sense is not common in those circles apparently.

Yep. It’s not that hard.

Here they aren’t completely banned yet, but all stores charge for bags, and many stores only have linen/cloth bags or more sturdy reusable plastic bags for purchase.

I got one of those handy foldable reusable shopping bags. It goes into a tiny bag and can be clipped to your key ring, so I always have it with me.

Or get a foldable basket or two for the trunk. They are very popular here in Germany (mostly for middle aged people and seniors - it’s one of these things you always consider old fashioned and uncool, until you realize how practical they are and just don’t care about the coolness factor anymore 😁).

But I guess the only way Katie and Travis will ever get something sensible and reusable is if they are paid for promoting it….

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

When my kids were at home and I made twice monthly trips to Costco, I just put bags and boxes in the back of the car and loaded the groceries into them. Aso now some of our customers have the foldable bins with two or three sections mentioned above, that they keep at the back or in their trunk, which take up little space when not being used. I'd have used one of those given the opportunity.

I've been using reusable bags since the late 90s. But the store where I work has been trying to switch to a type of plastic bag that can be used over and over again, now mandatory for pickup and delivery, and people just return them to us instead of keeping them to reuse, so we have to put them in the recycling area. I'd prefer it if customers were asked to bring their own bags and boxes for us to load groceries into, which I think is happening now at Walmart. Most people would be more sensible than to just have us put everything loose into the car.

• Upvote 2

Years ago I bought a very large (like 1.5Xs the size of the TJ one) soft, collapsible, insulated bag on Amazon. That thing holds a metric ton of cold items. I always keep that plus various other reusable bags in the trunk of my car. This bag also washes well. We even put this bag in one of our checked bags when we travel to So America. We bring cheese, frozen butter, bacon…. 

28 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Years ago I bought a very large (like 1.5Xs the size of the TJ one) soft, collapsible, insulated bag on Amazon. That thing holds a metric ton of cold items. I always keep that plus various other reusable bags in the trunk of my car. This bag also washes well. We even put this bag in one of our checked bags when we travel to So America. We bring cheese, frozen butter, bacon…. 

Publix (the biggest grocery store in Florida) also sells those large insulated ones. It’s perfect for buying frozen/refrigerated food, and then I stick my pantry type foods in a standard reusable one. I must admit, I could be better about remembering them sometimes, but I do try my best. 
(Florida has zero rules and single use plastic bags are most common). 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Travis's sister had her baby today. She was supposed to be induced yesterday (her husband's birthday) but they kept post-poning it. Like with Hailey's birth, the whole family was camped out waiting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

In their assumptions YouTube video today, they said that Katie was homeschooled and loved it and that Travis went to Christian school and loved it. They are probably going to go the Christian school route with all the activities, sports, friends, and community. 

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, gobucks said:

In their assumptions YouTube video today, they said that Katie was homeschooled and loved it and that Travis went to Christian school and loved it. They are probably going to go the Christian school route with all the activities, sports, friends, and community. 

This doesn't surprise me, since his family owns the school. While a small Christian school is still extremely isolated, I think Hailey will have more opportunities and experiences than many of her cousins

• Upvote 10

Katie moved to NJ and is integrating into that fundie family. If he had moved to TN things would be different. Katie is now a Clark. They will be doing things the Clark way. She will have three kids, send them to the family school, and her kids will be expected to live the same path as Travis. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Katie moved to NJ and is integrating into that fundie family. If he had moved to TN things would be different. Katie is now a Clark. They will be doing things the Clark way. She will have three kids, send them to the family school, and her kids will be expected to live the same path as Travis. 

I guess at least they won't have a billion kids and their kids will get to enjoy their parents attention. The Clark kids won't have the same struggles as Katie did growing up.

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I guess at least they won't have a billion kids and their kids will get to enjoy their parents attention. The Clark kids won't have the same struggles as Katie did growing up.

So here’s the thing about that. I totally agree that having 3 children is so much better for almost every family compared to having 19. It’s basic math. However I will say that there are a few drawbacks to a fundie family having 1-4 kids. And that is their ability to control their children more easily. When you have 19, it’s impossible to keep eyes on them all the time. Sure you can set up cameras like JB but that still doesn’t work. When you have 3 kids like the Clarks, they can be all over their every move while growing up. And I do think that’s how Travis grew up. His parents knew every little thing he did. Even though he went to the family Christian school, his parents could easily keep tabs on his behavior. I am sure they knew anytime he acted up or said something out of line with their beliefs. I personally believe the Clarks have more control over their adult children than the Bateses. Especially when comparing Travis to the Bates boys. They have way more freedom than Travis. I have a feeling that Katie will see all the positives that come with only having 3 kids. But as she ages, I think she will see more of the negatives in the Clark family. And I hope she and Travis decide to make changes. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

I wonder if Katie's marriage will influence Addee/Ellie/Callie. I mean if I was a teenage girls watching my sister's and knowing I'd be married off, I'd rather have Katie's life than Erin or Tori's or even Alyssa's. 

I do agree that a small family allows for more control. I am an only and my brother was incredibly oveprotective and over-involved in ways that her mother who had 8 kids could never be. And yes, Travis definitely had a lot less freedoms than the Bates boys. 

• Upvote 6

On 5/11/2023 at 8:33 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So here’s the thing about that. I totally agree that having 3 children is so much better for almost every family compared to having 19. It’s basic math. However I will say that there are a few drawbacks to a fundie family having 1-4 kids. And that is their ability to control their children more easily. When you have 19, it’s impossible to keep eyes on them all the time. Sure you can set up cameras like JB but that still doesn’t work. When you have 3 kids like the Clarks, they can be all over their every move while growing up. And I do think that’s how Travis grew up. His parents knew every little thing he did. Even though he went to the family Christian school, his parents could easily keep tabs on his behavior. I am sure they knew anytime he acted up or said something out of line with their beliefs. I personally believe the Clarks have more control over their adult children than the Bateses. Especially when comparing Travis to the Bates boys. They have way more freedom than Travis. I have a feeling that Katie will see all the positives that come with only having 3 kids. But as she ages, I think she will see more of the negatives in the Clark family. And I hope she and Travis decide to make changes. 

All true. My husband and I grew up in 2 parent homes with many of the same values imparted. But, his family had 7 kids and older parents, while my family had much younger parents and only 3 kids. He got away with a lot more than I did growing up. His parents really had no clue what all their kids were doing at any given time. They had 7 kids in 10 years time, 5 of them boys. In contrast, my parents had 3 kids in 9 years time.

• Upvote 6

Katie took Hailey to get her ears pierced today. It’s surprising to me that a place would agree to pierce a 3-month-old’s ears… is that common?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

Imagine being pregnant for nine months only to give birth to your Mother in Laws clone lol. 
she is adorbs though. IMG_5915.thumb.png.72ae2d08580466266c3cb862ff4d143c.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Imagine being pregnant for nine months only to give birth to your Mother in Laws clone lol. 
she is adorbs though. IMG_5915.thumb.png.72ae2d08580466266c3cb862ff4d143c.png

I actually always thought she looks so much like Travis’s dad! But agree- she’s super cute and smiley. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Keys said:

Katie took Hailey to get her ears pierced today. It’s surprising to me that a place would agree to pierce a 3-month-old’s ears… is that common?

I'm very surprised since the Clarks seem so strict with certain things. Yes, it's pretty common in some cultures to have baby's ears pierced very early. In India and the Middle East, nurses or midwives assist with piercing before babies go home. In Mexico you will rarely see an infant girl without her ears pierced.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I actually always thought she looks so much like Travis’s dad! But agree- she’s super cute and smiley. 

Lol that would be even worse… nine months pregnant for the baby to come out looking like your father in law ba ha ha ha 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

I'm very surprised since the Clarks seem so strict with certain things. Yes, it's pretty common in some cultures to have baby's ears pierced very early. In India and the Middle East, nurses or midwives assist with piercing before babies go home. In Mexico you will rarely see an infant girl without her ears pierced.

Good to know, thank you! It’s very rare to see a baby with pierced ears where I live. In fact, I’ve heard that very few places here will even agree to do it in babies who are under the age of one. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Keys said:

I hope she got them pierced by a professional and not some random girl at Claire’s. 

• I Agree 7

It is pretty common where I am to pierce a baby's ears. I didn't pierce my daughter's but mostly because I have a metal sensitivity that Inherited from my mother and I have a hard time with earrings and thought she might too, so I will wait until she can take care of them herself if she wants. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:33 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree. 
But I also think Travis is really happy about being able to drive a Tesla.
He doesn't buck the system because it works out for him, IMO.

• Upvote 7

On 5/20/2023 at 8:45 PM, AussieKrissy said:

Lol that would be even worse… nine months pregnant for the baby to come out looking like your father in law ba ha ha ha 

Reminds me of Anna Duggar looking at the screen during the ultrasound and saying the baby (don't remember which), "kind of looks like Jim Bob." Then she pulled a face before remembering to keep it sweet.

It was one of the moments I thought there might be hope for Anna. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 12:36 AM, Tangy Bee said:

Here in Argentina my daughter came out of the hospital with her ears pierced but to be fair, it was done by the nurses (they'll ask you if you want to, you don't have to but if you want to you have to take the earrings to the hospital). I have a metal allergy and thought about it but my husband convinced me, turns out it seems my daughter doesn't have it so it was all good.

Edited by HermioneSparrow
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic