IGNORED

Webster4Eva 12: It's Webster5Eva Now!

nelliebelle1197

The only context I have heard the name Rhett (or similar at least) is from Rett's syndrome, so I don't really have great associations with the name. Also the name sounds a bit frat-boy like, but each to their own I guess.

• I Agree 4

9 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Rhett just makes me think of Rhett and Link. They're also dirty libs.

I personally wouldn't do a R first name W last name because I still sometimes struggle with R's but that's probably a me problem

Even worse since they were devout Southern Baptists who are now very public about their atheism and why.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The only context I have heard the name Rhett (or similar at least) is from Rett's syndrome, so I don't really have great associations with the name. Also the name sounds a bit frat-boy like, but each to their own I guess.

It's the main male character in Gone with the wind. A very very southern name IMO. It sounds very outdated to me (because the movie), but it is supposed to be trendy.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sad Beige Bateses strike against. You should see Carson’s new bedroom Erin decorated. It looks like a generic bland guest room. Not a room for a 7 year old boy. 

Carson room is sad... Not only because the colors, but the whole decor. A generic guest room, you really nailed it. What 7 year old kid has those plant pots in his bedroom? Why can't he have toys or personal items on display? I don't know... a Spiderman pillow, a movie poster or a place to hang his drawings... At least he has a big table for himself.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Rhett used to be quite unpopular but it’s been increasing in popularity in the past few years:

This has been accompanied by the almost identical decrease in the name Brett over the same time period. Brett was a top 100 name and now is in the 900s. I always liked the name Brett so I have okay/good feelings about the name Rhett. I don’t know anything about country music, but there is a current performer named Thomas Rhett (son of Rhett Akins Sr.) which might put the name more in the minds of country music fans.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sad Beige Bateses strike against. You should see Carson’s new bedroom Erin decorated. It looks like a generic bland guest room. Not a room for a 7 year old boy. 

If you use TikTok check out the sad beige lady. She’s a children’s librarian who makes fun of the beige aesthetic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, SunnySide said:

If you use TikTok check out the sad beige lady. She’s a children’s librarian who makes fun of the beige aesthetic. 

I love her. She’s the one who uses a fake German accent right? She’s the one that gave me the term sad beige.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love her. She’s the one who uses a fake German accent right? She’s the one that gave me the term sad beige.

Yes! That’s her! 🤣
“Welcome to Wërner Herzögs home for sad beige everything”. 

Edited by SunnySide
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

Yes! That’s her! 🤣
“Welcome to Wërner Herzögs home for sad beige everything”. 

In ten years the internet will make fun of how sad beige everything was. And I’m guessing color will make a comeback in a few years. Because everyone will be so sick of all the sad beige. 

• I Agree 8

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

In ten years the internet will make fun of how sad beige everything was. And I’m guessing color will make a comeback in a few years. Because everyone will be so sick of all the sad beige. 

I think “sad beige” is maybe one thing if you’re an adult decorating a home with no children. Not my choice, but nobody is telling me I have to live in a sad beige house. What really befuddles me is the rainbow decals for children’s rooms done in beige colors only, the ball pits with no color…etc. I always thought bright stuff was meant to be fun and visually stimulating for young children. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

I think “sad beige” is maybe one thing if you’re an adult decorating a home with no children. Not my choice, but nobody is telling me I have to live in a sad beige house. What really befuddles me is the rainbow decals for children’s rooms done in beige colors only, the ball pits with no color…etc. I always thought bright stuff was meant to be fun and visually stimulating for young children. 

Every kids amusement park, play place, and playground will have some color. Because children are drawn to color. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Personally, my home design tends toward beige and lighter colors. My wardrobe lacks color as well. But I never forced those choices on my kids, their personal spaces or clothing. I swear to dog that Josie’s first daughter was dressed like she was spending her days in a work camp. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Personally, my home design tends toward beige and lighter colors. My wardrobe lacks color as well. But I never forced those choices on my kids, their personal spaces or clothing. I swear to dog that Josie’s first daughter was dressed like she was spending her days in a work camp. 

I wear tons of black because it matches my soul. However everything else in my life is fairly colorful. Including my children.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, postscript said:

I can’t hear the name Rhett without picturing Clark Gable. 

Kid's coming out with a pencil mustache and fake teeth.

• Haha 15

I know Gone With the Wind is racist. But I admit I enjoy it as a well made movie with actors doing great portrayals of the characters. I am the type who appreciates movies while understanding how racist they are and I don’t make excuses for the racism. I’m glad that TCM always talks about the racism in some old movies before and after they air them. I don’t believe in censoring them. I believe in watching them and talking about the problems in them.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 10

Gone With the Wind is racist but it is also a cinematically beautiful film with a suburb cast. The movie can be appreciated for those elements while also discussing the incredibly problematic and racist story elements (I remember reading the book as a teenager and being utterly horrified when I realized that they were depicting the organization of the KKK). 

And yes, Rhett will forever make me think of Clark Gable. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I also mostly dress in black but everywhere else in my life is maximalist color and patterns etc.

I dont look at myself so black is just easier.

I will only ever think of Rhett butler when I see the name. And my brain hears Scarlet breathlessly saying Rhett!

That movie was so beautiful. The music!

But not only the racism but the questionable rapey-ness of rhett.

Not a name I'd want my kid associated with foray reasons 

Oh and Beige ball pits! Ugh they're the saddest of the sad.

The Beige rainbows are a close second Though

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Added Beige sadness
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I follow her on instagram, she is hilarious. Even though I personally love the look. 🤣 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know Gone With the Wind is racist. But I admit I enjoy it as a well made movie with actors doing great portrayals of the characters. I am the type who appreciates movies while understanding how racist they are and I don’t make excuses for the racism. I’m glad that TCM always talks about the racism in some old movies before and after they air them. I don’t believe in censoring them. I believe in watching them and talking about the problems in them.

Agreed. The book itself has very problematic elements. However, when you take into consideration when and where it was written, as well as the author's own history and journey, there is something to be said for it being told in that point of view. Margaret Mitchell was raised in the shadows of confederate veterans who were unapologetic about their own history. She had her own issues about race that are hard to fathom now. In her later life (she didn't live that long), she funded a great many scholarships for future black doctors. She and Clark Gable both fought (and lost) for Hattie McDaniel to be present at the premiere. I saw the letter that she wrote to Ms. McDaniel and was taken with how kind and uplifting it was, including praising her work and stating how proud everyone else was too. 

It doesn't erase the problematic lens of the story but it does offer some hope that we as people can grow and change for the better (even when we stumble in the process).

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, gobucks said:

When I hear Rhett, I think of Thomas Rhett and his dad, Rhett Akins, both country singers. Real country singers, not Lawson.

Lawson's lyrics sound like something an 11-year-old would come up with. At best.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Lawson's lyrics sound like something an 11-year-old would come up with. At best.

Well, I don't think Lawson has cognitively matured past that age yet, so it fits...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Hazelbunny said:

Well, I don't think Lawson has cognitively matured past that age yet, so it fits...

Point taken. It's really difficult to tell whether any of the Bateseseseses kids are bright because they're so stunted. Kelly Jo, I hate to admit, seems intelligent enough (making her choices even more bizarre to me). Some of the kids just seem absolutely, blazingly clueless. I'm not sure if I'm edging up against inappropriate commentary, so I'll stop there. Please be sure to tell me if I'm breaking any rules. I'm new here!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

They seem rather empty headed thanks to their vain empty Instagram lives. It's hard to know what gears are turning under there when all they talk about is decorating, themselves, and make up if a girl

Or"remodeling"(also decorating), themselves, and maga style junk if a boy.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic