IGNORED

Webster4Eva 12: It's Webster5Eva Now!

nelliebelle1197

To add to our sad beige discussion, I’m giggling so hard at this:

Spoiler

3A9F16B1-1072-4222-B344-46BCB93FFD44.thumb.jpeg.af8dcfcf1071c041e87167d4ee13d18d.jpeg

This kid is going to grow up thinking the primary colours are white, beige, ecru and off-white.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

To add to our sad beige discussion, I’m giggling so hard at this:

Hide contents

3A9F16B1-1072-4222-B344-46BCB93FFD44.thumb.jpeg.af8dcfcf1071c041e87167d4ee13d18d.jpeg

This kid is going to grow up thinking the primary colours are white, beige, ecru and off-white.

He’s going to eat that thing in the corner! Why is that even in a baby’s room?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He’s going to eat that thing in the corner! Why is that even in a baby’s room?

Because....it's Beige!

Poor children.

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Because....it's Beige!

Poor children.

5 seconds after Rhett Alan learns to crawl:

”Nom nom nom. Mmmm beige dust plant.” 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 13

Mmmm beige....the flavor of the'20s

I imagine Beige flavor Is just dry dustiness.

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Sad beige
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Point taken. It's really difficult to tell whether any of the Bateseseseses kids are bright because they're so stunted. Kelly Jo, I hate to admit, seems intelligent enough (making her choices even more bizarre to me). Some of the kids just seem absolutely, blazingly clueless. I'm not sure if I'm edging up against inappropriate commentary, so I'll stop there. Please be sure to tell me if I'm breaking any rules. I'm new here!

When you train out intellectual curiosity, you end up with a rather lackluster product!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Common thought is that the girls are just following current trends, but based on the show Kelly Jo was a big fan of neutrals way back. While the girls had to wear dresses made by Michaela out of whatever fabric was on sale, Kelly preferred in her words, "shades of khaki" for the home. In one of the BUB episodes Josie wanted to paint the girls' room dark gray and use jewel tones as accents. Kelly and Tori were both concerned and critical of this idea, preferring a more neutral tone with pastels. Some of the girls have experimented with color - Josie with the gray and jewel tones, Erin with pinks and pastels - but most have stuck very close to Kelly's style and look for homes. To their benefit, that has come back into fashion and there is plenty of stuff out there. 

• Upvote 6

On 2/4/2023 at 7:59 AM, Bobology said:

Rhett Alan Webster... that's a pretty raw name 😉

Joke meaging to this? Aka why all the laugh reacts. It has gone over my head and I hate to be left out lol. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
Never mind I got it. Took a minute derrrrr
  • Haha 4

Just now, AussieKrissy said:

Joke meaging to this? Aka why all the laugh reacts. It has gone over my head and I hate to be left out lol. 

The baby's initials spell RAW.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Just now, gobucks said:

The baby's initials spell RAW.

I’m embarrassed that it took me so long. 
My mind went to some kind of cultural or local meaning a foreigner might not get. Rather than a more literal answer. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:14 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know Gone With the Wind is racist. But I admit I enjoy it as a well made movie with actors doing great portrayals of the characters. I am the type who appreciates movies while understanding how racist they are and I don’t make excuses for the racism. I’m glad that TCM always talks about the racism in some old movies before and after they air them. I don’t believe in censoring them. I believe in watching them and talking about the problems in them.

Can you recommend a good article on this at all?
I assume that the movie is racist because it was set in a racist time (I mean when isn’t it a racist time?) but that’s not what I mean…

so are you saying that the movie is racist (for example I get Mickey Rooney playing an Asian character in a movie was an ugly character caricature and racist.
But I have only seen gone with the wind once so I’m not sure if you are saying the movie is racist or the time it is set in is racist? 
if that makes sense? 
I do know there was issues with racism on set, RB was going to quit over segregated toilets and one lady actor was not allowed at the premier because of segregation? Is that what you mean? 

25 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I assume that the movie is racist because it was set in a racist time (I mean when isn’t it a racist time?) but that’s not what I mean…

so are you saying that the movie is racist (for example I get Mickey Rooney playing an Asian character in a movie was an ugly character caricature and racist.
But I have only seen gone with the wind once so I’m not sure if you are saying the movie is racist or the time it is set in is racist? 
if that makes sense? 
I do know there was issues with racism on set, RB was going to quit over segregated toilets and one lady actor was not allowed at the premier because of segregation? Is that what you mean? 

Gone With the Wind (the book) was written specifically to glorify the Confederacy and slavery.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

49 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

if that makes sense? 

There's been a lot said about the sort of subtle racism in the movie(google search is a friend). And I'm not any kind of expert. But a couple things come to mind.

In the movie the south is portrayed as glorious and noble. A sad dying empire but of noble roots. It romanticizes and glorifies the overall institution of plantations

The southern white characters express paternalistic behavior to the slaves.

The slave characters are portrayed an ignorant, guileless,"innocent," and ultimately loyal and loving of the master class. (Example the male ex slave who is living in a camp but rescues Scarlett cuz ultimately he cares about her, the mammy character's life existence being to serve the family before and after the war not have a life of her own)

There is no agency to the slaves. There is no real consideration of things from their viewpoint. 

We're supposed to believe Ashley is one of the "good" slave owners because he says he'd free his slaves later and he doesn't really want to go to war. He's presented as an ideal man in many ways.

Even Rhett runs blockades for the south and continues his association with the southern upper class. Although he's presented as scandalous and barely civilized because he associates with all the wrong people.

It's also just generally wildly inaccurate.but that's not specifically racist. 

It's such a well made film though. It's a difficult thing to wrap your mind around.

It also was made at a time when there was an increase in much more tension? In the south. Where a sort of hyped up white pride was rising up and reflects a lot of the rhetoric of the time with respect to the Lost Cause, aristocratic educated gentile southerners and their "beautiful" way of life being destroyed by outsiders (notherners)

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Crazy autocorrect fights
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

There's been a lot said about the sort of subtle racism in the movie(google search is a friend). And I'm not any kind of expert. But a couple things come to mind.

In the movie the south is portrayed as glorious and noble. A sad dying empire but of noble roots. It romanticizes and glorifies the overall institution of plantations

The southern white characters express paternalistic behavior to the slaves.

The slave characters are portrayed an ignorant, guileless,"innocent," and ultimately loyal and loving of the master class. (Example the male ex slave who is living in a camp but rescues Scarlett cuz ultimately he cares about her, the mammy character's life existence being to serve the family before and after the war not have a life of her own)

There is no agency to the slaves. There is no real consideration of things from their viewpoint. 

We're supposed to believe Ashley is one of the "good" slave owners because he says he'd free his slaves later and he doesn't really want to go to war. He's presented as an ideal man in many ways.

Even Rhett runs blockades for the south and continues his association with the southern upper class. Although he's presented as scandalous and barely civilized because he associates with all the wrong people.

It's also just generally wildly inaccurate.but that's not specifically racist. 

It's such a well made film though. It's a difficult thing to wrap your mind around.

It also was made at a time when there was an increase in much more tension? In the south. Where a sort of hyped up white pride was rising up and reflects a lot of the rhetoric of the time with respect to the Lost Cause, aristocratic educated gentile southerners and their "beautiful" way of life being destroyed by outsiders (notherners)

Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense. I get it now. Set in the time,  but skewered bias dramatised incorrect version of it. I understand now thank you. 

• Upvote 5

I’ve read the book too and the movie is a pretty good adaptation. It stays pretty true to the book. So if you think the movie is racist, you’ll think the book is too. And I agree with what was said above. It really glorifies the old south. And it sort of makes the slaves almost seem like they are happy to be in their place as slaves. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9

As I mentioned up thread there is a plot point that deals with the forming of the KKK and it is portrayed in an incredibly sympathetic light. It is very much "glory of the old south". 

• Upvote 8

Agree about everything said about "Gone With the Wind" - so incredibly problematic, but at the same time such a wonderful movie in many ways.

IMHO, much of its appeal comes from the character of Scarlett. I remember first watching the movie when I was a kid (and tbh, completely ignorant about US history and slavery), but I was so fascinated by her. And I couldn't have articulated it back then, but I think it was because she was allowed to be such a flawed heroine, in a way that few women were (and are, even now). Scarlett was bitchy and selfish and stubborn, but she got things done, and I kind of loved her. I just never understood what she saw in Ashley, when it was so bloody obvious that she and Rhett were the perfect match (and yeah, he was horribly rapey, but I grew up in the 70s and 80s, when this was still pretty much par for the course for male love interests).

It's a complex subject, and I agree that if you watch the movie or read the book, you should be aware of its problematic aspects.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Agree about everything said about "Gone With the Wind" - so incredibly problematic, but at the same time such a wonderful movie in many ways.

IMHO, much of its appeal comes from the character of Scarlett. I remember first watching the movie when I was a kid (and tbh, completely ignorant about US history and slavery), but I was so fascinated by her. And I couldn't have articulated it back then, but I think it was because she was allowed to be such a flawed heroine, in a way that few women were (and are, even now). Scarlett was bitchy and selfish and stubborn, but she got things done, and I kind of loved her. I just never understood what she saw in Ashley, when it was so bloody obvious that she and Rhett were the perfect match (and yeah, he was horribly rapey, but I grew up in the 70s and 80s, when this was still pretty much par for the course for male love interests).

It's a complex subject, and I agree that if you watch the movie or read the book, you should be aware of its problematic aspects.

I struggled to with the idea that she "loved" Ashley. Such a wet noodle. But I guess he represented that ideal man in her circle as a counterpart to the devoted humble wife/woman that she never could be.

Plus there's the allure for the one who ignores you when many others do not!

Clark gable-sexy as hell.

But Rhett? I think he's like her rebound "bad boy." "I'll show you mama!" Never felt like they really were that great a match. Rhett's ego needed somebody to adore him. He's kinda toxic. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I struggled to with the idea that she "loved" Ashley. Such a wet noodle. But I guess he represented that ideal man in her circle as a counterpart to the devoted humble wife/woman that she never could be.

Plus there's the allure for the one who ignores you when many others do not!

Clark gable-sexy as hell.

But Rhett? I think he's like her rebound "bad boy." "I'll show you mama!" Never felt like they really were that great a match. Rhett's ego needed somebody to adore him. He's kinda toxic. 

I think Ashley is a warning about what could happen if you never grow out of your childhood crush on the boy next door.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Never felt like they really were that great a match.

Okay, probably not a perfect match. But a far more interesting option than Ashley, definitely... 😂

• I Agree 1

Scarlett’s character reminds me a lot of Becky Sharp. And I know I’m not the only one who saw the similarities. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Okay, probably not a perfect match. But a far more interesting option than Ashley, definitely... 😂

Hey I have a serious weakness for the bad boy myself.

• Haha 1

Influencers would have a heart attack if they saw my bedroom. Floral bedding, tapestries, art and postcards covering the walls... books everywhere.. I have floral wall stickers too. A blue couch and a carpet with lemons on it... the horror! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

It irritated me that John said his son needed a "strong" name, but it's perfectly OK for the girls to have names that are the opposite of strong.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

Influencers would have a heart attack if they saw my bedroom. Floral bedding, tapestries, art and postcards covering the walls... books everywhere.. I have floral wall stickers too. A blue couch and a carpet with lemons on it... the horror! 

Sounds delightful 

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic