IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, sansan said:

Wonder where they are moving.

I think the important thing is it’s far enough away they need to relocate. That means they’re outside the immediate circle of JB and Michelle so it’s a positive step!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Didn’t Derick do an internship in Little Rock? 

Yes, after his first year of law school. He lists it on his LinkedIn.

Maybe Derick took a job with the Story/Storey law firm place. Heh-heh, wouldn't JB need a diaper change if that happened!

Zillow shows their house listing was removed today. Listed on the 15th, down on the 19th, so the "pending" status mentioned a few posts back must be it. The Dillards certainly wouldn't want it listed even one hour more than necessary due to kooks who could pose as serious buyers just to go in their house.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Zillow shows their house listing was removed today. Listed on the 15th, down on the 19th, so the "pending" status mentioned a few posts back must be it. The Dillards certainly wouldn't want it listed even one hour more than necessary due to kooks who could pose as serious buyers just to go in their house.

That's actually just how fast houses are selling here right now. It's wild! I have friends who have made 10 offers before they finally snagged a place. If we had anywhere else to go we'd sell our place in a heartbeat!

• Upvote 9

26 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Maybe Derick took a job with the Story/Storey law firm place. Heh-heh, wouldn't JB need a diaper change if that happened!

They wouldn't have to move if Derick went to work for Travis Story. But I doubt Story was even considered. He's pretty much a Duggar sycophant. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

My guess is that it’s a private firm or company job in Little Rock or somewhere else in Arkansas. Derrick can practice law  for the federal government in any state as long as he has passed a bar and is sworn in for that federal district. I doubt it’s a federal legal job though, unless it’s a non-attorney position, as it takes months to go through the application process, interview and background check and he could not apply for those positions until after he has actually passed the bar, not before taking it or while awaiting results. 

I do wonder why they didn’t rent the house out for awhile to see if he liked the job and they were happy with the new area but maybe they needed the money for the move. Good for them either way moving away and trying something different. They can always move home one day should they chose to do so. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Travelfan said:

Good timing…Isreal should be able to finish out his current school year and hopefully they’ll be moved in before the new baby comes. I’m happy for them!

Me too!  After the BS JB and Mushy gave her I want nothing but success for her. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

My guess is that it’s a private firm or company job in Little Rock or somewhere else in Arkansas. Derrick can practice law  for the federal government in any state as long as he has passed a bar and is sworn in for that federal district. I doubt it’s a federal legal job though, unless it’s a non-attorney position, as it takes months to go through the application process, interview and background check and he could not apply for those positions until after he has actually passed the bar, not before taking it or while awaiting results. 

I know it’s a long shot but I so want Derrick to be prosecuting the next Duggar disaster. The look on Jim Bob’s face… 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I know it’s a long shot but I so want Derrick to be prosecuting the next Duggar disaster. The look on Jim Bob’s face… 

I assume even if he was working as a prosecutor, that would be a conflict of interest and he could not be assigned to their case. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5

10 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I keep thinking the next Duggar legal disaster is going to have to be JimBob in the hot seat. There is simply no way on earth that all of his money and property shuffling and campaigning and such has all been completely above board. The dude just oozes "shady" to me. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I keep thinking the next Duggar legal disaster is going to have to be JimBob in the hot seat. There is simply no way on earth that all of his money and property shuffling and campaigning and such has all been completely above board. The dude just oozes "shady" to me. 

Yes, but certainly any wrong doing by Jim Bob could only be caused by SATAN! A devout Christian man who has 19 blessings as proof of his blessedness, Jim Bob couldn't possibly do anything wrong. Just like his son...oops!

• Haha 3

Just now, SorenaJ said:

Can anyone explain why the Federalist Society is bad? I have never heard about it before. 

It’s a conservative legal society that advises Republican presidents on which judges to appoint. It was formed in 1982, when conservatives were appalled by the activist judges appointed by President Carter, and maybe the Reagan administration had some trouble finding Republicans who wanted to be judges instead of getting rich in private practice. Republican lawyers who want to be judges or go into politics pretty much have to belong to it. So Derick clearly still is a Republican, and may intend to impose his beliefs on others through politics or as a judge. However, it’s a very Republican area, and I’m sure the law school chapter has a lot of events and speakers, so he may have just wanted to participate and network.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 7

Is anyone shocked that he is in the federalist society? They can make incremental changes that will vastly improve the lives of their children while still being conservative bigots. The fact is their children have more of a chance than Jill and her siblings ever did, and that is something. 

• Upvote 25

Not at all surprised he’s a member of the Federalist Society. They may be inching away from the most toxic beliefs, but their politics haven’t changed. 

We’ll find out soon enough, but my guess is that they are moving to Little Rock. Derrick strikes me as ambitious, which means he’s going to have to take a job in a higher profile firm in a bigger city. I also don’t see them leaving Arkansas. So Little Rock it is. The first couple of years of practice are tough. It will be interesting to see where he goes after the first job. He’s pretty much been a professional student for most of his adult life. 

• Upvote 12

48 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Is anyone shocked that he is in the federalist society? They can make incremental changes that will vastly improve the lives of their children while still being conservative bigots. The fact is their children have more of a chance than Jill and her siblings ever did, and that is something. 

Deconstruction is often slow. I've told the story of my friend who was raised in evangelicalism, homeschooled, the whole nine yards. Jill & Derrick are about where she and her husband were 20 years ago. Now, they are not Christians at all and, frankly, are so far to the left that they are unbearable. I went from being her token "liberal friend" who tried to tell her "nonsense" like that gay marriage being legalized would have no impact at all on her marriage, to being not liberal enough for her to hang out with. The Dillards may stay where they are, or they may move farther away from fundie world. It's hard to tell. I certainly never would have believed that my friend would move so far away that she'd be sad that her daughters are cis-gendered and straight. But that's where she is. 

• Upvote 4

There are many perfectly reasonable people in most law schools federalist societies. Given that he is clearly still republican there should be no surprise here.

Also as he just passed the Arkansas bar, they are almost certainly not moving out of state. 

Edited by justoneoftwo
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Deconstruction is often slow. I've told the story of my friend who was raised in evangelicalism, homeschooled, the whole nine yards. Jill & Derrick are about where she and her husband were 20 years ago. Now, they are not Christians at all and, frankly, are so far to the left that they are unbearable. I went from being her token "liberal friend" who tried to tell her "nonsense" like that gay marriage being legalized would have no impact at all on her marriage, to being not liberal enough for her to hang out with. The Dillards may stay where they are, or they may move farther away from fundie world. It's hard to tell. I certainly never would have believed that my friend would move so far away that she'd be sad that her daughters are cis-gendered and straight. But that's where she is. 

Extremist at either end are scary!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

4 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

There are many perfectly reasonable people in most law schools federalist societies. Given that he is clearly still republican there should be no surprise here.

Also as he just passed the Arkansas bar, they are almost certainly not moving out of state. 

Yes however many states have reciprocity meaning another state will often honor the bar exam passed in another state.  So it doesn’t mean they are staying in Arkansas.  

• Upvote 1

Here's the AR document on reciprocity:

https://www.arcourts.gov/sites/default/files/List of Reciprocal and Nonreciprocal Jurisdictions.pdf

I'm not sure how far Derick will want to move from his brother and his mother.  She has uncertain health and seems quite attached to his sons.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s a conservative legal society that advises Republican presidents on which judges to appoint. It was formed in 1982, when conservatives were appalled by the activist judges appointed by President Carter, and maybe the Reagan administration had some trouble finding Republicans who wanted to be judges instead of getting rich in private practice. Republican lawyers who want to be judges or go into politics pretty much have to belong to it. So Derick clearly still is a Republican, and may intend to impose his beliefs on others through politics or as a judge. However, it’s a very Republican area, and I’m sure the law school chapter has a lot of events and speakers, so he may have just wanted to participate and network.

I wouldn't quite say that at least at this point it's just republicans who are against liberal 'activism' in the judicial branch (which is quite ironic given that this heavily conservative court is probably the most 'activist' there has ever been). The federalist society generally advocates the idea of originalism around the constitution, something that was seen as ludicrous even by conservatives in the 80s and early 90s. The idea of originalism is that the constitution should only ever be interpreted as how it was meant when it was created. Of course, this typically runs into some issues as to who's original interpretation is original. Which founding father, or the common population's understanding. It also ignores the writings of some founding fathers who were concerned that creating a constitution would have this impact. It also struggles to deal with things like racism. For instance, at least to me, there doesn't really seem to be any constitutional issue around segregation if you are an originalist. 

So the federalist society and the idea of original was a way allow for radical conservative policy to shape judicial rulings and the interpretation of the constitution. Now a days its super common for any republican to agree, but this is quite new. In fact, one nominee to the supreme court was rejected because of his originalist viewpoints. 

• Upvote 4

Just spitballing an idea. Could Derick have possibly taken the bar in D.C. or a different state last July? I have a feeling that Derick wants to do something bigger than work at a regular law firm or as a corporate attorney. I think he’ll want to be involved somehow in creating or challenging laws, so I see him in a state capital or in D.C.

He could have, of course, but it isn't a likely thing to do.  His chances of landing a DC job weren't good,  Even the conservatives can easily find much better candidates.

• Upvote 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic