IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

23 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

However, people with conservative christian backgrounds (even if they're not ATI, it seems the Dillards are conservative) typically have protection/sheltering as a primary motivation. 

True. 

I have also seen judges and DA's be far more thoughtful about how their families interact with the community at large because of potential conflicts of interest and safety concerns. It's easier not to form ties, even with other law enforcement families, and risk having to recuse. It gets super complicated in small town/rural areas.  (Or, in the case of Alaska, the entire state. They are one small town geographically scattered.)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 9/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, SassyPants said:

I have a strong feeling the boys are not attending school any more.

hopefully she just wants to safeguard their location and not mention school or the school location...

most prob not...

• Upvote 3

Joy did an Instagram story about Gideon’s schooling- she has enrolled him in a programme with a Christian school where you can either follow online or via DVD. They are using the DVD as they like to travel a lot and don’t always have Wi-Fi and Gideon has a short attention span. It’s very bible based but it is an acknowledgement that they need some professional structuring for lessons- which JB & M didn’t care about until they had money to hire a tutor.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, Idlewild said:

It’s very bible based but it is an acknowledgement that they need some professional structuring for lessons- which JB & M didn’t care about until they had money to hire a tutor.

Absolute BEC comment but I don’t think this necessarily indicates they know they need professional structure. To me this is them wanting to “homeschool” while not actually wanting to put the work into it. 

I know there are online schools that can be exceptional. I just don’t have hope they’re using anything other than a “bare bones Jesus is all that matters” program.

• Upvote 16

14 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Joy did an Instagram story about Gideon’s schooling- she has enrolled him in a programme with a Christian school where you can either follow online or via DVD. They are using the DVD as they like to travel a lot and don’t always have Wi-Fi and Gideon has a short attention span. It’s very bible based but it is an acknowledgement that they need some professional structuring for lessons- which JB & M didn’t care about until they had money to hire a tutor.

Isn't this just Abeka? Haven't seen the story, but they do that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a place like ATI tried to rebrand in this way, too. 

• Upvote 2

But an online educational program still requires parental input and dare I say, teaching. I don’t think any of the Duggars are particularly well suited to teach anyone. And it’s not just because they appear to have significant knowledge deficits, but also because of an overall lackluster enthusiasm for education, curiosity, learning and  knowledge-

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 9/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, neuroticcat said:

Isn't this just Abeka? Haven't seen the story, but they do that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a place like ATI tried to rebrand in this way, too. 

It might be. I did Abeka video (tape) homeschooling for a year back in the 1990’s and HATED it. I expect they’ve moved on to DVDs by now. 

I was much relieved when my parents stopped making me do the videos. The videos took up a lot of time and I got to learn fun things like how the death penalty shows a great respect for life (yeah, right).

At this point I kind of wish I’d taken my mom up on her offer to give me my old books because I’d like to know what I was being taught. I suspect Abeka (and similar curriculums) might have something to do with where we are politically now… because a lot of my peers did the Abeka government class also and they’re probably mostly Trumpers now. 

I homeschool my children (currently all except for one who’s chosen to attend public high school and is an honors student) and it doesn’t look anything like how the Duggars homeschool. My kids are all regularly out of the house doing activities/classes and I mostly feel like I’m their personal taxi driver as they’ve gotten older. I can’t imagine doing homeschool this way with more kids than I have though (4). 

With adequate outside support, a value system that prioritizes learning, and a small enough family size, I think that even someone from a SOTDRT could homeschool successfully (especially in the early years) but it really would require at least all of the above. 

• Upvote 12

32 minutes ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

It might be. I did Abeka video (tape) homeschooling for a year back in the 1990’s and HATED it.

SAME! Which teachers did you have? I still laugh all the time at the cheerleader uniforms that were down to mid-calf or something. I actually went by PCA a few years ago and it was WEIRD. The segregated hallways, the long skirts, the speaking to my husband, not me the actual alumni (such as I am), and don't even start me on the distorted view of history that their books teach.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

At this point I kind of wish I’d taken my mom up on her offer to give me my old books because I’d like to know what I was being taught. I suspect Abeka (and similar curriculums) might have something to do with where we are politically now… because a lot of my peers did the Abeka government class also and they’re probably mostly Trumpers now. 

Absolutely this. There are some interesting threads on twitter where homeschooled adults have shared screenshots of old curricula. Here's one on Abeka: 

• Disgust 12
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 8

11 hours ago, Destiny said:

SAME! Which teachers did you have? I still laugh all the time at the cheerleader uniforms that were down to mid-calf or something. I actually went by PCA a few years ago and it was WEIRD. The segregated hallways, the long skirts, the speaking to my husband, not me the actual alumni (such as I am), and don't even start me on the distorted view of history that their books teach.

Oh goodness, the only name I remember (bc I found it hilarious at the time) is Mrs Shmuck. I googled to double check and I must’ve had her for 9th grade English because that’s the year I did the video homeschool, that’s one of the grades/subjects she taught, and English was one of the subjects I had through them. I did English, science, and government through Abeka and I had other curriculums for the other subjects. 

A friend of mine attended PCC and it sounded dreadful from her stories. I’ve never been around that area personally, but both schools definitely sound very weird! 

On 9/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, CanadianMamam said:

This would drive me crazy. That split is bonkers. All 3 of my kids would be in seperate schools. That might be enough to make me home school too. Especially if there was an issue with start times (I.e hanging to drop them all off at once or huge gap). 

Whereas I live in a district which is currently five K-4 schools, one 5-6, one 7-8, and one 9-12.  People are LOSING THEIR MINDS that the new arrangement in a few years will be a k-5 school, 6-8, and 9-12 (all but the high school are abysmally old and in such need of repairs that building a new K-5 center would be more cost effective than repairing the K-4 buildings, and would also make transport easier). They don't want 6th graders on the bus with 12th graders (somehow 7th graders is a-okay, but 6th is a bridge too far - the 7/8 (which would become the 6-8) and high school are right next to each other). And are VERY! CONCERNED! that their elementary students might have to ride a bus for more than 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, I teach in the city, and our fourth graders have to ride city buses to get to school.  With the general public.

Edited by monkeyrocks71
  • Upvote 10

56 minutes ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

Whereas I live in a district which is currently five K-4 schools, one 5-6, one 7-8, and one 9-12.  People are LOSING THEIR MINDS that the new arrangement in a few years will be a k-5 school, 6-8, and 9-12 (all but the high school are abysmally old and in such need of repairs that building a new K-5 center would be more cost effective than repairing the K-4 buildings, and would also make transport easier). They don't want 6th graders on the bus with 12th graders (somehow 7th graders is a-okay, but 6th is a bridge too far - the 7/8 (which would become the 6-8) and high school are right next to each other). And are VERY! CONCERNED! that their elementary students might have to ride a bus for more than 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, I teach in the city, and our fourth graders have to ride city buses to get to school.  With the general public.

Our schools are currently this set up K-5, 6-8, and 9-12. I have zero complaints. I would highly recommend it. But we don’t have to deal with a ton of bussing. Although the people losing their minds in your district could always start a big ass carpool if they are so upset about 6th graders riding with 12th graders. But seriously, there just needs to be more staff on busses in general. I see it as a problem everywhere. When the driver of a huge bus full of kids is also the disciplinarian, shit will hit the fan. You can’t drive and discipline and keep an eye on the kids. That’s just too much to ask for one person. Bus drivers are spread too thin. The problem is not putting 6th with 12th. It’s the lack of supervision. Kindergarten could ride with 12th if there’s supervision.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

Oh goodness, the only name I remember (bc I found it hilarious at the time) is Mrs Shmuck. I googled to double check and I must’ve had her for 9th grade English because that’s the year I did the video homeschool, that’s one of the grades/subjects she taught, and English was one of the subjects I had through them. I did English, science, and government through Abeka and I had other curriculums for the other subjects. 

A friend of mine attended PCC and it sounded dreadful from her stories. I’ve never been around that area personally, but both schools definitely sound very weird! 

I can totally envision Mrs. English (and her dreadful haircut), but not her name. I don’t know how that name didn’t stick and Mrs. McLamb, Mrs. Spanish did.

Yeah, when I went on the tour, I called ahead and dressed “appropriately” obviously. They had a kid from student council or something give the tour, and he went out of his way to mention that I wouldn’t normally be permitted in the hallway I was in, but because I was with him it was fine, and that male and female students didn’t use the same hallways. SO FREEKING WEIRD.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 6

When I was a kid in a small town, our schools were  K-3 and then 4-8. Definitely a big difference between a 10 year old and a 14 year old at this point. When they renovated the elementary school, they moved 4th grade there. While middle was 5-8, only 6th and above were able to participate in school sports. The town next to us had K-2, 3-5, and 6-8, and we shared the 9-12 high school. 

Not wanting to mix older and younger kids bugs me. In my children’s school, they have assigned buddies. Which means once a week the buddies get together in a classroom and do a project together. The buddies are often Kindergarten/5th grade, 1st/4th grade, and 2nd/3rd grade. I think it’s great for older kids to be good mentors to younger kids. And for younger kids, they learn that not all older kids are intimidating or unapproachable. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Not wanting to mix older and younger kids bugs me. In my children’s school, they have assigned buddies. Which means once a week the buddies get together in a classroom and do a project together. The buddies are often Kindergarten/5th grade, 1st/4th grade, and 2nd/3rd grade. I think it’s great for older kids to be good mentors to younger kids. And for younger kids, they learn that not all older kids are intimidating or unapproachable. 

Our school does the same. My kinders just had their first get together with their 5th grade buddies last week. It was adorable.

Edited by marmalade
5 the isn't 5th
  • Upvote 2

I think districts do it for space/efficiency purposes. Our local district has three K-2 schools, a 3-5 school, 6-8 middle school and 9-12 high school. 

47 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Our school does the same. My kinders just had their first get together with their 5 the grade buddies last week. It was adorable.

When my son was in kindergarten, he had a really nice 5th grade buddy. Anytime the buddy saw him walking home from school, he would say hi. Which made my son feel like the coolest person ever. It was so cute. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

When my son was in kindergarten, he had a really nice 5th grade buddy. Anytime the buddy saw him walking home from school, he would say hi. Which made my son feel like the coolest person ever. It was so cute. 

Our kids’ school had 4th and K buddies. My daughter was in 4th and my son was in K. My son’s buddy was the most spirited boy in 4th grade ( eventually kicked out of school), and my daughter’s K buddy was taller than she was. Oh my the stories that ensued that year! 

• Upvote 3

My kids' elementary school (K - 6) also did buddies. 4th grade students were paired with a 1st grader, and they stayed buddies through 5th/ 2nd grade and 6th/ 3rd grade.  The younger buddies would walk with their older buddies at 6th grade graduation, and receive a certificate that they were now ready to be older buddies.

Middle school was grades 7-8, and high school was 9 - 12.

Each school started at a slightly different time to facilitate busing.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic