IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

19 hours ago, zee_four said:

You have a lanai? Are you In Hawai'i? If so Aloha e!

I think Florida just tries too hard to be something it’s not 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha 8

I can’t imagine unfenced yards generally - how do you know the boundary between your yard and your neighbour’s? How do you keep kids/pets off other people’s properties?

Pool fencing here is definitely in addition to yard fencing (which is the norm) and it’s law that pools are fenced. Pools put in prior to the law change (in the 90s? 80s?) can still exist but you can’t sell a house with a pool unless the pool is adequately fenced so they’d be few and far between by now.

• Upvote 5

I live in the northern New England in the US. It snowed yesterday, and we are forecast to get more snow tonight/tomorrow. Why anyone has a pool here I cannot understand...you can use it for like 3-4 months unless you want to swim in what could be REALLY cold water in May or October. The upkeep seems like more work than the benefits, in my opinion. That being said....we bought a house with an above ground pool. Our yard is fenced in on three sides (thanks, neighbors with fences) but not totally fenced in (and I can think of at least one other house in my neighborhood with an above ground pool not fenced in). We did not want the pool, but we really wanted the house. So, we started to drain the pool the first spring we lived in the house and then we realized that tree frogs had laid eggs and we had tadpoles. So, we let the froglets grow up and move out. Then we drained the pool low before winter, but it filled back up with snow. The next spring, we drained it low again in hopes of tearing it down. Realized AGAIN that frogs had laid eggs in the few inches of water remaining. We let them grow up and move out. Then, we ripped the lining out so the pool physically cannot refill. It's coming down this summer and I already have plans and researched how to make a kiddie pool into a pond. I plan on fencing it in with chicken wire because....the baby frogs are so dang cute and I feel bad for the adults who will come back planning to lay eggs.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 16

My elderly neighbor has a pool that hasn't been used in at least 20 years. No fencing of any kind, but it's above ground at least. I enjoy the frogs singing every spring when they lay eggs.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

My (US) university had a mandatory swim test when I attended, but it has since been abolished.

Anyway, I am surprised that Derick hasn't found a job yet now that he has passed the bar. According to his Linked In page, he worked for this firm from August-Dec.: https://www.dosslaw.biz/ --I am surprised they haven't hired him back.

• Thank You 3

3 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

I live in the northern New England in the US. It snowed yesterday, and we are forecast to get more snow tonight/tomorrow. Why anyone has a pool here I cannot understand...you can use it for like 3-4 months unless you want to swim in what could be REALLY cold water in May or October. The upkeep seems like more work than the benefits, in my opinion. That being said....we bought a house with an above ground pool. Our yard is fenced in on three sides (thanks, neighbors with fences) but not totally fenced in (and I can think of at least one other house in my neighborhood with an above ground pool not fenced in). We did not want the pool, but we really wanted the house. So, we started to drain the pool the first spring we lived in the house and then we realized that tree frogs had laid eggs and we had tadpoles. So, we let the froglets grow up and move out. Then we drained the pool low before winter, but it filled back up with snow. The next spring, we drained it low again in hopes of tearing it down. Realized AGAIN that frogs had laid eggs in the few inches of water remaining. We let them grow up and move out. Then, we ripped the lining out so the pool physically cannot refill. It's coming down this summer and I already have plans and researched how to make a kiddie pool into a pond. I plan on fencing it in with chicken wire because....the baby frogs are so dang cute and I feel bad for the adults who will come back planning to lay eggs.

I’m in New England too, my apartment complex has a pool that is fenced it. I LOVE the thing.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

My (US) university had a mandatory swim test when I attended, but it has since been abolished.

Anyway, I am surprised that Derick hasn't found a job yet now that he has passed the bar. According to his Linked In page, he worked for this firm from August-Dec.: https://www.dosslaw.biz/ --I am surprised they haven't hired him back.

My university also had a swim test which has since been abolished. Freshmen were required to take 6 segments of PE, and if you failed the swim test your first (two? I think) segments had to be swimming. I was so glad I passed. The last thing 18 year old me wanted was to have to go to class in a bathing suit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

He was working for them as a student attorney…it seems like it’s a pretty small firm so maybe they can’t afford to take on another attorney. 

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 1

Maybe he is not so fast with updating his LinkedIn. Not everyone updates it as soon as they find a job.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I’m in New England too, my apartment complex has a pool that is fenced it. I LOVE the thing.

I like pools where someone else has to do the maintenance 😂 The work I see my neighbors doing to open their pools for just a few months is just so much...and then they BARELY seem to use their pools!

• Upvote 1

According to their blog their house is for sale. They are moving due to Derick’s new job. It must be our if their area if they are moving. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Guanabana said:

According to their blog their house is for sale. They are moving due to Derick’s new job. It must be our if their area if they are moving. 

Duggar Snark or somewhere has the house listed as pending sold for $280k ish. They’ll be making close to $ 100k in 3 years. Wow. 

• Upvote 10

3 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Duggar Snark or somewhere has the house listed as pending sold for $280k ish. They’ll be making close to $ 100k in 3 years. Wow. 

Yeah, but whatever they buy will be expensive too. But, good for them for moving out of the area.

• Upvote 5

$100,000 gain in equity to put down on a new house will be super helpful anywhere they go, even if it’s a HCOL city.   My guess is DFW area - still fairly close to family but more career opportunity.

• Upvote 4

Good timing…Isreal should be able to finish out his current school year and hopefully they’ll be moved in before the new baby comes. I’m happy for them!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

We would make a good amount of money if we sold our house right now but the market is so crazy that we would have to spend so much money to get a bigger house. Everything is so expensive right now. I hope they can find a decent home for a family of 5. I’m guessing it will be better than anything Jill grew up in at Israel’s age. 

• Upvote 9

On 4/17/2022 at 4:34 AM, Smee said:

I can’t imagine unfenced yards generally - how do you know the boundary between your yard and your neighbour’s? How do you keep kids/pets off other people’s properties?

You can usually just see the property line: it's half way between your house and the next house (about 4 to 6 feet from your exterior wall, and the same distance from theirs) running perpendicular from the street. There's often a difference in slope of the yards, or a visible difference in the grass or the mowing pattern, the square edge of a flower bed, etc.

You keep kids in your yard by telling them that your yard is behind / in front of your house, and if you are behind / in front of another house: that's not your yard. In between the houses, you stick to your side of the space in the same way you drive on one side of the road even if there's not a line painted to help you out. If they put a toe over from time to time, nobody cares as long as there's no damage done or anything.

If you have a pet, you usually put up a fence. Or you walk your dog on a leash instead of just letting it 'out'.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I’m hoping far far away from the Duggar universe. Maybe even a liberal metro area like Atlanta. 

Does this signal the end of Jill’s therapy or the end of her time with this particular therapist?

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat

Derrick passed the Arkansas board. We dont know that he has passed any other state's boards or even taken any others. He'll only be able to practice in Arkansas. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

They're probably going to Little Rock. I don't know know how many other states have reciprocity with AR in terms of practicing law. 

Edited by marmalade
  • I Agree 2

If I remember correctly, reciprocity takes a number of years (I want to say five). If he moves out of state--unless he's going to work for a federal court/federal gov't--he has to take that state's Bar.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic