IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yes, licensing, or joining the bar, means he can practice law. The swearing-in is a one-off (unless you join the bar in another state). You have to pay dues and take continuing education every year.

If you work for a firm they often pay those dues for you.

• Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Can someone explain what it means to be licensed? Is this a one off thing that  means he can now practice as lawyer, do advocacy etc? Does it have to be renewed every year? I’m in England and have to renew my practising certificate every year - my current role doesn’t strictly need one but I keep it just in case.

It means that you are licensed to practice law in X jurisdiction. Typically that means you passed the bar in the state you intend to practice in & were sworn in usually by a Judge. Thereafter you pay your annual bar fees & do a certain number of continuing education classes - in CA you report your continuing education compliance every 3 years.

To practice in Federal court you must be admitted there as well https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/attorneys/admission-to-practice/

And yes, once licensed you can practice law. I suspect ‘advocacy’ in England has a more specific meaning than here. Here you can theoretically practice any kind of law once you are licensed, for example, I did my first jury trial about 3 months after I was admitted to practice.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Yep over here in the uk- there is solicitors and barristers , traineeships and pupilages  - different law set up though 

• Move Along 1

How far along is Jill? In those strawberry photos she is looking ready to pop. Man she grows large babies, she must be uncomfortable now. I know that this is her 3rd and I am not shaming her appearance or anything..  She looks happy and beautiful  in those photos but all baby. 
This baby looks to be heading to over 9 pound. 

• I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

How far along is Jill? In those strawberry photos she is looking ready to pop. Man she grows large babies, she must be uncomfortable now. I know that this is her 3rd and I am not shaming her appearance or anything..  She looks happy and beautiful  in those photos but all baby. 

I think the boys were each close to 10 lbs at birth. I think she is due in July.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

Derrick and his brother are both quite tall so it’s likely all their boys will be too. 

• Upvote 5

When I was in grad school there was a campus run “food bank.” It was open to all students and their families and a great help to making a limited budget stretch.

Even if it was an ordinary food bank, though, those are great resources and available to all. Why this would be newsworthy I don’t know. It’s like how when the Harry Potter books first came out JKR made gossip headlines for being a poor, single mom. 

In our small town there is a food bank that on the reg posts on the buy nothing Facebook group for anybody at all to come pick up the extra food before it goes bad. So much food waste in the US it’s shocking.

I do wonder if they felt internalized shame from getting secular help though. I wonder if WIC or Medicaid were options - I know some fundies live in abject poverty rather than get govt help while others justify it. 

Edited by neuroticcat
Typos
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Stillwell, OK  is a fairly small town. My niece lived there. Poor. Not well educated and not the best education system. If that is the Dillards new home, its a distinct downgrade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Stillwell, OK  is a fairly small town. My niece lived there. Poor. Not well educated and not the best education system. If that is the Dillards new home, its a distinct downgrade. 

I don’t know anything about the town, but looked up the Strawberry festival as the town I worked in ( a couple thousand miles away ) also has a big Strawberry Festival every year. And a town near me also has their own huge festival for Garlic. The festivals draw thousands from all over the region because they have activities and booths and concerts in addition to the food. And this is a touristy area, with other things to do. But the food festivals are always absolutely packed.  I don’t think Jill and family going to a festival in Stilwell means anything other than it’s within an hour or two of wherever they live or were visiting. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, sndral said:

It means that you are licensed to practice law in X jurisdiction. Typically that means you passed the bar in the state you intend to practice in & were sworn in usually by a Judge. Thereafter you pay your annual bar fees & do a certain number of continuing education classes - in CA you report your continuing education compliance every 3 years.

To practice in Federal court you must be admitted there as well https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/attorneys/admission-to-practice/

And yes, once licensed you can practice law. I suspect ‘advocacy’ in England has a more specific meaning than here. Here you can theoretically practice any kind of law once you are licensed, for example, I did my first jury trial about 3 months after I was admitted to practice.

And in some states you also have to pay an annual professional privilege tax.  Because it is a privilege to be a professional...

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, TN-peach said:

And in some states you also have to pay an annual professional privilege tax.  Because it is a privilege to be a professional...

Lots of things are privileges but don't come with a tax. The state is taxing this particular privilege because they assume lawyers have deep pockets. . . Just another way to make money.

• Upvote 2

Maintaining my license is about $800/year, plus about the same every 2 years for my DEA. They really do like to make good money off you, even after all the interest on those student loans.

@Mama Mia I wanna go to a garlic festival!

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

16 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I do wonder if they felt internalized shame from getting secular help though. I wonder if WIC or Medicaid were options - I know some fundies live in abject poverty rather than get govt help while others justify it. 

I wonder if it helped with their deprograming. Jill was raised to believe the world was dangerous but then secular people are putting food on the table. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

17 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Resident Cherokee popping in here to give a bit more perspective. Stillwell is in the tribal jurisdictional area of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Stillwell is in Adair County and has the highest percentage Native American population (43%) of any Oklahoma county. Overall, its a majority-minority population county.

[For all its faults, it does make me wince a bit when someone describes my tribal lands as "a distinct downgrade." Unless you are NDN too--if so, lets chat]

One thing that always bugged me about the Duggar tv shows is that they live mere miles away from vibrant cultural areas of multiple Native American tribes--as well as African American history--but you would never know it from the show. I vaguely remember them going to a George Washington Carver historical site (maybe his birthplace?), but thats it.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 16
  • Love 5

Tontitown was also a place that many Italian immigrants populated (per the book La Storia which traces the history of >4 million Italian immigrants to the US). As the grandchild of an Italian immigrant, that  fact surprised me.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Tontitown was also a place that many Italian immigrants populated (per the book La Storia which traces the history of >4 million Italian immigrants to the US). As the grandchild of an Italian immigrant, that  fact surprised me.

And if the Duggars ever attend the annual grape festival, https://www.tontitown.com/grape-festival/ they seem to only attend the amusement rides, and refer to it as "the fair."  I assume that the Duggars don't want to be associated with Catholicism and possible wine drinking! The Duggars very deliberately live in a Anglo-Saxon, fundy Protestant bublbe.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Resident Cherokee popping in here to give a bit more perspective. Stillwell is in the tribal jurisdictional area of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Stillwell is in Adair County and has the highest percentage Native American population (43%) of any Oklahoma county. Overall, its a majority-minority population county.

[For all its faults, it does make me wince a bit when someone describes my tribal lands as "a distinct downgrade." Unless you are NDN too--if so, lets chat]

One thing that always bugged me about the Duggar tv shows is that they live mere miles away from vibrant cultural areas of multiple Native American tribes--as well as African American history--but you would never know it from the show. I vaguely remember them going to a George Washington Carver historical site (maybe his birthplace?), but thats it.

Sorry didn't mean to be unkind to the Cherokee population there. In fact it was one of the positive things my niece mentioned. I think the education system was her biggest problem. 

All that said, I don't believe the Dillards are moving there. Just a fun get away.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Sorry didn't mean to be unkind to the Cherokee population there. In fact it was one of the positive things my niece mentioned. I think the education system was her biggest problem. 

All that said, I don't believe the Dillards are moving there. Just a fun get away.

Someone on Reddit said Derick was registered ( not sure if that's the term originally used) at the Stillwell courthouse. This was a couple of weeks ago now, long before they showed up at the Strawberry Festival.

• Upvote 3

It's probably better that the Duggars stayed away from indigenous and black cultural activities because JB and others were bound to do something offensive (judging by their behaviour every time they traveled or came into contact with someone who didn't speak American-accented English on 19KAC) 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

It's probably better that the Duggars stayed away from indigenous and black cultural activities because JB and others were bound to do something offensive (judging by their behaviour every time they traveled or came into contact with someone who didn't speak American-accented English on 19KAC) 

Is it really better for them to stay in their white Protestant bubble all their lives? I'd rather them to get out and experience 21st Century reality and learn not to be offensive. [which the Dillards are doing]

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

Someone on Reddit said Derick was registered ( not sure if that's the term originally used) at the Stillwell courthouse. This was a couple of weeks ago now, long before they showed up at the Strawberry Festival.

I was not aware that attorneys in the US "register" with a county. Any lawyers who can weigh in on this? Has he perhaps taken a job with the Public Defenders office or Oklahoma Legal Aid ?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

It's not precisely a matter of registration, I don't think. But the address associated with Derick on the Arkansas Judiciary's Attorney Search is for the Adair County Courthouse. Looking at some of the other attorneys' records, it looks like the address field is just how to contact the attorney in question, as some people have what look like home addresses recorded (in both Arkansas and other states/DC), but others instead show law firm addresses or PO Boxes. So Derick's current contact info places him at the courthouse, which means he has to be connected with it somehow. Whether that's his new "permanent" work address or not remains to be seen.

https://attorneyinfo.aoc.arkansas.gov/info/attorney/Attorney_Search_Detail.aspx?ID=af2d1c56-f023-4022-88c6-d1ea25d750a3

• Thank You 7

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Is it really better for them to stay in their white Protestant bubble all their lives? I'd rather them to get out and experience 21st Century reality and learn not to be offensive. [which the Dillards are doing]

The Dillards are still very offensive and I think their distance from Jill’s cultish upbringing has more to do with wanting control from JB, practicality, money etc. than meaningful engagement with minorities. 

Exposure often doesn’t make someone less bigoted. Perhaps they learn more savy and careful but they still have horrible beliefs and are raging assholes. It’s just more subtle (see Jeremy) 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

The Dillards are still very offensive and I think their distance from Jill’s cultish upbringing has more to do with wanting control from JB, practicality, money etc. than meaningful engagement with minorities. 

Exposure often doesn’t make someone less bigoted. Perhaps they learn more savy and careful but they still have horrible beliefs and are raging assholes. It’s just more subtle (see Jeremy) 

There are two, soon to be three, Dillard children who are not "raging assholes." I'd prefer them to learn to experience the real America with the rest of us.

• Upvote 9

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic