IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

I really hope he isn’t a lawyer like some in fundieland. Beth Wissmann Beasley’s husband works for the HSLDA. I doubt Derrick would work from them. But I hope he doesn’t work anywhere sort of like that. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:31 PM, marmalade said:

So they had onesies for both sexes done at the photoshoot to save for the announcement. Better this than all those overwrought reveals. 

Gosh, isn't that the darn truth.   No starting a massive brush fire, setting off a massive bomb in a quarry or actually killing someone. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Congratulations to Derick for not only passing the bar, but for his perseverance on putting his nose to the grindstone after his first failure (as we assume, in the summer bar.) Good for him, and I mean it. It's a hard test, it's probably harder when you've failed it once, and it takes grit to go for it again. I don't think it means that he'll be any worse of a lawyer than those who passed it on their first try.

Also (and slightly snarkier) good for him for keeping it off social media as he digested his first failure and his retry, as well as his pass. I don't think it would have helped him any to share on social media; I hope he was getting support from Jill and his family.

I agree, it will be very interesting to see where he ends up. I expect at some point there will be some announcement on social media? But if going forward he decides to keep his professional life off their SM accounts, I think that is also a laudable choice.

• Upvote 22
  • Love 1

Congratulations to Derrick. I know it’s a weight off his shoulders. I hope he enjoys this feeling because the first few years as a new lawyer are brutal since you can’t understand the stress and crazy until you are in it.  I would guess he will now be less controversial online, and should really have a diminished presence, as most firms and government jobs do not want you to bring negative attention to the job. They will let you go quick. I know Derrick tends to jump around in careers so I don’t expect him to practice for too long but at least he is employable. There is no downside to him having obtained more education and the ability to better provide for his family. 

I failed the first time. This was back when the exam was three days. I was so burned out the first time I basically went stupid on the last performance exam and spent 2.5 hours trying to understand what they wanted. It was like I couldn’t read properly. I just wrote crap the last half hour to just have something on the paper. The second time was a little easier because I knew what to expect,  where I needed to improve and my stress level was lower. Derrick obviously figured out where he needed to improve and did it. Good for him. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 6

In the absence of proof , I think we need to avoid the “after failing the bar last Summer” comments. What we do know is that DD did take and pass the test this time. Now he needs to get a job-

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 29
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In the absence of proof , I think we need to avoid the “after failing the bar last Summer” comments. What we do know is that DD did take and pass the test this time. Now he needs to get a job-

How do we know that he doesn’t have a job?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

How do we know that he doesn’t have a job?

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking a job that requires a license to practice. And you are also correct that he very likely is employed in some capacity-

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

really hope he isn’t a lawyer like some in fundieland. Beth Wissmann Beasley’s husband works for the HSLDA. I doubt Derrick would work from them. But I hope he doesn’t work anywhere sort of like that. 

I hope so too and I also think that JB will use whatever influence he has left to keep some doors in fundieland closed for Derrick, just out of spite.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Not working for Travis Story would probably be a blessing for Derick.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking a job that requires a license to practice. And you are also correct that he very likely is employed in some capacity-

Didn't someone say once that you can get a job at a law firm before you pass the exam? That would mean he could be in the job already and has just been doing training or paperwork or whatever this whole time, right?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Today on IG Jill posted that she can only doggy paddle and float. I feel so badly for her. Of course DD was a collegiate swimmer and won state championships- JB and M are just the worst. They gave all those blessings so little in tangible skills and knowledge-

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Grace said:

Didn't someone say once that you can get a job at a law firm before you pass the exam? That would mean he could be in the job already and has just been doing training or paperwork or whatever this whole time, right?

Some firms will hire you after graduation and before you pass the bar but you are considered a law clerk and are paid as such. Some will even pay your bar study fees. These type of offers usually go to the top students who had prior summer internships with the firm. Once you pass the bar and are sworn in, they hire you as an attorney and you get an attorney salary. Until then, you can do research and write motions but you aren’t taking deposition or arguing in court and they cannot bill you out at an attorney rate. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Didn’t the Duggars own a property with a pool? 
It seems ridiculous they wouldn’t take the trouble to teach children to swim - it is literally a life saver.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

It seems ridiculous they wouldn’t take the trouble to teach children to swim - it is literally a life saver.

They didn't have possession of the Pool House until Venessa Giron moved out. By then, Jill was already married. The younger kids got lots of pool time before Mary passed, though. 

Joy noted that the middle kids didn't learn to swim at all.

Edited by marmalade
Autocorrect strikes again!
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

When you’re so busy grocery shopping, putting groceries away, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning  and mothering your mother’s other 18 children, it leaves little time for recreational activities like learning to swim, splashing around the pool and having fun. Not sure why the middle boys never learned, tho. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

The one good thing about all of this is Jill has learned through counseling and the support of the loving Dillard family that JB and M’s tactics and beliefs are wrong , limiting and destructive. I hope she’s been able to voice her anger at being robbed of a loving family home life and appropriate, nurturing childhood-

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Today on IG Jill posted that she can only doggy paddle and float. I feel so badly for her. Of course DD was a collegiate swimmer and won state championships- JB and M are just the worst. They gave all those blessings so little in tangible skills and knowledge-

6 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Float, tread, and doggy paddle is fine for someone who just needs to safely play in a pool, and doesn’t want to swim laps for exercise. I grew up on the water, and learned “survival swimming” as a toddler - could float and tread water for ages, but really only knew how to doggy paddle in terms of forward movement. We didn’t have access to formal swim lessons, and I knew enough to pass my university swim test (jump in pool, swim 50 meters, tread water for 5 minutes). I took adult swimming lessons in my early 30s. I can swim with “proper” form now, but it isn’t my go-to workout and the classes didn’t make me safer when casually hanging out at the pool.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, mpheels said:

Float, tread, and doggy paddle is fine for someone who just needs to safely play in a pool, and doesn’t want to swim laps for exercise. I grew up on the water, and learned “survival swimming” as a toddler - could float and tread water for ages, but really only knew how to doggy paddle in terms of forward movement. We didn’t have access to formal swim lessons, and I knew enough to pass my university swim test (jump in pool, swim 50 meters, tread water for 5 minutes). I took adult swimming lessons in my early 30s. I can swim with “proper” form now, but it isn’t my go-to workout and the classes didn’t make me safer when casually hanging out at the pool.

There was no reason for those kids to be limited in this regard. JB has plenty of money, and seemingly had plenty back in the day too. Didn’t he spend over $200,000 of his own cash on a political campaign? Being cash strapped is no excuse for JB and M-

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Priorities.  JB's are vastly different from the average on the forum.  Child safety obviously is very, very low on his list.  The aggrandizement of JB is very high.  

• Upvote 11
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Priorities.  JB's are vastly different from the average on the forum.  Child safety obviously is very, very low on his list.  The aggrandizement of JB is very high.  

They are just horrible parents. And to think they were packaged and sold as a wholesome family. What a crock of crap. This is why I will call out and highlight every one of their transgressions. JB made money on his way being the best way-

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Idlewild said:

To clarify for anyone who didn’t see Jill’s actual post, she said, “I had swim lessons as a kid, but slacked off and only mastered the doggy paddle and floating techniques.”

I can relate…I had swim lessons as a kid, but don’t remember much other than hating them. I learned to “swim” over summers with friends at their pools. I was never great, but I was pool safe and didn’t learn stroke techniques until later in college P.E. (and I still rarely use them when hanging out in a pool—then I revert to doggy paddling).

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic