IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

On 6/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, socalrules said:

It Derrick is going to be an Assistant District Attorney, he needs to be careful about what information he makes public. If he rises through the ranks and goes from prosecuting petty crimes, which is where he will start, to hardcore crimes like murder or gang activities, he should stop posting information related to where he lives and the layout of his house. Normally, prosecuting attorneys have private social media accounts, if any, and even then, they don’t post much information. Jill should be more discerning about what she puts on the blog. It’s just a safety issue. 

I agree with this. I'm a Probation Officer and my social media is locked down. I also have my telephone in my sister in laws name just so nobody can search me out. 

11 hours ago, noseybutt said:

I am confused by this.

I live in a "desirable" part of the country and our DA's office and public defender's office both hire baby attorneys. As soon as the ink is dry on the bar card, they are employable.

In our county the term for the entry level baby attorneys is "deputy district attorney" or "deputy public defender." Once they get more experience, then they will be "managing deputy district attorney" or "supervising deputy public defender."  Only the top elected or appointed attorneys go by "District Attorney" or "Public Defender."

Pretty sure that in OK the term "assistant district attorney" is the entry level position. Higher level staff will be "supervising ADA" or "managing ADA." 

I checked district 27, where Derrick will be, and the DA there serves a 5 county area. It's very rural and lots of tribal land. 

It seems like a reasonable career fit for him. He will be one of several attorneys in the office and will likely start off with misdemeanors or second chair on any felony cases.

I live in NY and it's the same here. Most of the attorney's in our Public Defenders and District Attorney's Offices are new attorneys. We use the term ADA here and I would say the vast majority are fresh out of school. The attorney's who have been around longer typically move onto private practice

• Upvote 11

I am surprised with the move. Wasn’t their previous home only 30 minutes away? I wonder if they needed to live within X number of miles from the town where he will be practicing, but if that were the case, wouldn’t there also be a stipulation that the Dillards reside in OK? Really, if the move was about “moving up” that just shows how fortunate the Dillards are. They had a brand new starter home at the same time DD was starting law school and now have moved, likely to a larger home. Wonder if they are buying used and saving the difference? I wonder what the JB payout was?

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I am surprised with the move. Wasn’t their previous home only 30 minutes away? I wonder if they needed to live within X number of miles from the town where he will be practicing, but if that were the case, wouldn’t there also be a stipulation that the Dillards reside in OK? Really, if the move was about “moving up” that just shows how fortunate the Dillards are. They had a brand new starter home at the same time DD was starting law school and now have moved, likely to a larger home. Wonder if they are buying used and saving the difference? I wonder what the JB payout was?

Their new house is about 40 minutes from their old house, but their new house is in between their old house and his job, so I'm guessing they moved to make his commute easier. His commute from the new house will be about 35-40 minutes according to Google Maps, but from their old house to his job would've been about an hour and 15 minutes. I can't blame them for wanting to be that much closer to his job. 

ETA: According to Zillow, their new house is the same number of bedroom but more square footage than their old house, and cost $80,000 more than they sold their old house for. But they sold their old house for $115,000 more than they bought it for, so it was probably a comfortable upgrade.

Edited by OHFL2009
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 16

4 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

Their new house is about 40 minutes from their old house, but their new house is in between their old house and his job, so I'm guessing they moved to make his commute easier. His commute from the new house will be about 35-40 minutes according to Google Maps, but from their old house to his job would've been about an hour and 15 minutes. I can't blame them for wanting to be that much closer to his job. 

Thanks. I did not realize that their new home was so far from his office. I was under the impression it was minutes away.

It's also possible he has to reside within a certain area or county. We have residency restrictions for our civil service jobs, it's possible they do as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sullie06 said:

It's also possible he has to reside within a certain area or county. We have residency restrictions for our civil service jobs, it's possible they do as well. 

Yes, but wouldn’t they also require him to live in OK?

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Thanks. I did not realize that their new home was so far from his office. I was under the impression it was minutes away.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.c7fd4aaa6c6e35e444879531fa7f6232.PNG

In the map under the spoiler, the blue dot is Stilwell, where he works, the green dot is their new house, and the pink dot is their old house (locations approximate). Maybe they compromised between being closer to his job but not too far from family/friends? I'm not sure where Derrick's mom and brother/SIL live. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

They are very lucky that they live in an affordable region of the country. In CA, most people, especially people entering a new industry/profession, would just be commuting a long way if they were unable to secure a position closer to their current home.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

22 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Not necessarily; I live someplace that’s close to the NY/PA border and some civil service jobs are okay with someone from from an adjoining county just across the cider:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, BadMurphy said:

Damn I knew Oklahoma was an unattractive state these days but they must be hurting more than I thought if they’re taking on a 33 year old baby lawyer as an ADA.

I'm a Kentucky public defender; celebrated my 33rd anniversary as a pd last Wednesday. We hire baby lawyers and start them out in district court (mostly misdemeanors). Most Commonwealth's Attorneys (prosecutors) I know of hire baby lawyers.

• Upvote 19
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Capture.PNG.c7fd4aaa6c6e35e444879531fa7f6232.PNG

In the map under the spoiler, the blue dot is Stilwell, where he works, the green dot is their new house, and the pink dot is their old house (locations approximate). Maybe they compromised between being closer to his job but not too far from family/friends? I'm not sure where Derrick's mom and brother/SIL live. 

I totally love the map. ThanK you so much for the visual aid! I had no concept of where any of those cities were, or Tontitown, either.

59 minutes ago, sixcatatty said:

I'm a Kentucky public defender; celebrated my 33rd anniversary as a pd last Wednesday. We hire baby lawyers and start them out in district court (mostly misdemeanors). Most Commonwealth's Attorneys (prosecutors) I know of hire baby lawyers.

Would you have an idea what Derick’s starting salary might be? I was just curious. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BadMurphy said:

Damn I knew Oklahoma was an unattractive state these days but they must be hurting more than I thought if they’re taking on a 33 year old baby lawyer as an ADA.

As a government employee and a Cherokee, I'd like to thank Derick for choosing to be a public servant in my tribal lands. I'm sure we will see many more posts shitting on Derick for taking such as a low-paying, "low class," "dangerous" job. Snobs gotta snob.

• Upvote 42
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They might just really like Siloam Springs. 

Yes, and I like Malibu, Honolulu and Switzerland too !

• Confused 5
  • Eyeroll 1

Maybe they found a house they liked and could afford there, maybe they liked the school district, maybe they have friends in the area. Relocating for a job is very common, although these days a lot of people are just changing apartments.

He or Jill mentioned working for an underserved group at some point, I think, as the plan after law school. Sounds like this could be a good start.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Cam said:

I totally love the map. ThanK you so much for the visual aid! I had no concept of where any of those cities were, or Tontitown, either.

Would you have an idea what Derick’s starting salary might be? I was just curious. 

I did a bit of research and found out that district attorneys/ADAs are state employees eligible for pensions. As far as salary, the statute I saw went back to 2003. Salaries.com says 47k-64K for ADAs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

What’s especially odd is that they probably expect at least one of those boys to go on to Oklahoma University and try to be Pistol Pete. I just checked and OU does not have tuition reciprocity with Arkansas (although there could be some public servant discount I didn’t look for). 

11 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

What’s especially odd is that they probably expect at least one of those boys to go on to Oklahoma University and try to be Pistol Pete. I just checked and OU does not have tuition reciprocity with Arkansas (although there could be some public servant discount I didn’t look for). 

OSU has special scholarships for children and grandchildren of alumni. 

Many of those large state schools in the Midwest have legacy funds. (But they don't call it that.) 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jill has just published their new PO Box address so she’s certainly not ready to stop asking her followers to send her free stuff.

Well strike me down someone had the exact same thought as me when I saw that post.... 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Sounds like they moved between where they are now and Derricks work.  Don't forget this family unlike the rest of the Duggars also have to balance school choices.  This move makes Derrick's commute easier but also means Izzy can stay at his school (which I think is one of the best public schools in Arkansas).

Jill is going to be juggling the school run with a newborn in a few months.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, imokit said:

Sounds like they moved between where they are now and Derricks work.  Don't forget this family unlike the rest of the Duggars also have to balance school choices.  This move makes Derrick's commute easier but also means Izzy can stay at his school (which I think is one of the best public schools in Arkansas).

Hopefully they have some friends they can share school run duties with. 
Non Duggar friends from Israel’s school are probably their greatest asset. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, imokit said:

I'm not familiar with Arkansas school districts, but would Izzy be allowed to stay at his school living in a different school district? His current school is in Rogers Public Schools district, and their new house is in Siloam Springs School District. In my county you have school choice between schools within the same district, but not outside the district. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, SassyPants said:

No necessarily. I live in a "border town" in NY. For our residency requirements you have to reside in the county or one of the bordering counties. Because of our placement, 2 of the 5 counties that border us are actually in Pennsylvania. It's very common here to have people working in NY but living in the more rural PA counties.  

20 hours ago, sableduck said:

Not necessarily; I live someplace that’s close to the NY/PA border and some civil service jobs are okay with someone from from an adjoining county just across the cider:

Same. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, imokit said:

They moved about 30-40 minutes away from their old house. I would guess it’s about 100% likely that Israel will be attending a new school.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Good for them (minus the grifting). I remember this old show, "The Buccaneers", a TV adaptation of Edith Wharton's unfinished novel, where the dad of one of the girls, talking about one of the suitors, told him something along the lines of: "Mr. Robinson, you're the only one who shows any kind of 'get up and go'!".

That's how I feel about Derick and Jill. 

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic