IGNORED

Maxwell 52: Retired Vests, Retired Blog, and Retired Maxwells

Coconut Flan

21 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

whoops. What did I miss? What changed for the kids? Public school?

Oh no, nothing like that. I just don’t know that we can assume AM wants her daughters to be spinsters at home as Steve had apparently been planning for the SAM sisters, as Sarah sometimes called the three of them. Steve said home until marriage, no college, no outside employment, no mission placements, no church for goodness sake, and didn’t address that these men would literally have to drop into the nursing home assembly for that to happen. Anna Marie is not a dumb woman, and her writing shows that. 

I think Joe key for a lot of the changes. Swift Otter is very successful, and it seems like Sarah and Jesse are both largely reliant on their careers with that company to sustain them. Sarah walked away from Titus 2 and the books she felt compelled to write remain unwritten now. 

Also, @HerNameIsBuffy I am actually your cat, Griffin. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the Maxwells, and that’s your fault. 

Edited by fundiewatch
Identity confession.
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Oh no, nothing like that. I just don’t know that we can assume AM wants her daughters to be spinsters at home as Steve had apparently been planning for the SAM sisters, as Sarah sometimes called the three of them. Steve said home until marriage, no college, no outside employment, no mission placements, no church for goodness sake, and didn’t address these men would literally have to drop into the nursing home assembly for that to happen. Anna Marie is not a dumb woman, and her writing shows that. 

I think Joe key for a lot of the changes. Swift Otter is very successful, and it seems like Sarah and Jesse are both largely reliant on their careers with that company to sustain them. Sarah walked away from Titus 2 and the books she felt compelled to write remain unwritten now. 

Also, @HerNameIsBuffy I am actually your cat, Griffin. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the Maxwells, and that’s your fault. 

I hate having to choose between the laughing or heart emoji so here....:tw_heart:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

@Black Aliss @nausicaa @MamaJunebug You ladies are triggering some repressed dating memories! I'm wondering if it's specifically Boeing Engineers or just general aviation engineering and piloting that attracts the controlling weirdos. 

I think there's more to "corporate culture" than just office rituals and unwritten rules. People tend to hire people like themselves (and as a former hiring manager, I plead guilty to doing exactly that) so it's likely that anal-retentive control freaks would hire other anal-retentive control freaks, and  their behavior gets normalized by the fact that most people they spend their days with are just like them.

There was a blind date and the dude was like unhinged because my credit card still had the stupid sticker on it. Like, who cares? It bothered him so much he took it out of the book when the server returned our cards and took the sticker off for me. 

I"ve had a server refuse my card because it still had the sticker on it. I kept telling him to just swipe it and it would be fine, but nope. He should have been an aviation engineer.

The dude who asked me to change my outfit because "no one around here dresses like that." 

Wow. There are more tactful ways to say that when it's necessary to do so! Like, "I forgot to warn you, this monster truck rally takes place on 3 feet of mud and we have front row seats, so you might want to change into something you don't mind tossing out if it gets really dirty" Or, "I forgot to mention that my dad gets sexually aroused by contrasting buttons. Can you change into something else?" Or, "I love your outfit but my mom and my older sister will think you're a slut if you don't put a skirt on over those leggings"

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 16
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

@Black Aliss @nausicaa @MamaJunebug You ladies are triggering some repressed dating memories! I'm wondering if it's specifically Boeing Engineers or just general aviation engineering and piloting that attracts the controlling weirdos. 

There was a blind date and the dude was like unhinged because my credit card still had the stupid sticker on it. Like, who cares? It bothered him so much he took it out of the book when the server returned our cards and took the sticker off for me. 

There was a guy who was concerned that in the future I would continue to "waste time in non-profits" when I could make so much more money at Corporation. 

The dude who asked me to change my outfit because "no one around here dresses like that." 

I don't miss dating. 

I was freshly divorced and a co-worker set up a blind date for me.  Co-workers husband played in a band and the band was playing at a local pizza joint.   Bad Feeling number 1, dude shows up at my house by himself, I was expecting friend and hubby to be with him.  He was driving this huge jacked up pickup truck.   We drive to the restaurant, and he says very little on the drive.  When we get there, as he's parking the huge boat of a truck, he backs into a parked car.   He looks at me, says "Don't say anything to anyone about this."   I was speechless.

Bad Feeling #2, dude hardly speaks during food time - I try and start conversations, but he says next to nothing.    A voice comes over the loud speaker, "Would the owner of a gray Toyota Camry parked in the parking lot across the road, please come to the hostess stand.   Blind Date stares at the guy walking up to the booth, and this guy doesn't come back to the restaurant.    I assumed this was the damaged car.  

We hang out for at least an hour and date decides it's time to leave.   No one else was going anywhere near my house and wanted to stay for the band.   I get in the truck and we silently leave.   2 blocks away from the restaurant, blue and red lights flash behind us, and a spotlight lights up the truck cab.    Date looks at me, and says "Keep your mouth shut."   This was mid 70's so no cell phones, residential neighborhood so no pay phones.   Date is asked to exit the car and comes back about 10 minutes later holding what was probably a ticket.   Idiot me, I should have jumped out, explained to the cops it was a blind date and asked to get taken to a phone somewhere, but I had no-one I could call.   Rest of the 20 minute drive to my home continued in silence.   When he turned on my street, I lived alone, I put my keys in my hand, as soon as we hit my driveway I said thank you, then jumped out and ran to my door, quickly unlocked the door, jumped in, locked it, and sat down and cried.  Monday at work co-worker asked how it went and if we were going out again, and I told her H$#$ NO.  First, and last blind date I ever went on.  

• Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3
  • Love 21

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

At the basketball game? I would say yes. It looks like him (his name is Samuel Hock).

No, not that one.  It's the Jan 27 facebook post about a Ken Ham lecture.  Let me see if I can paste a picture.  image.thumb.png.20bb8f7666cf2753bbf99a5be9571aa5.png

12 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

No, not that one.  It's the Jan 27 facebook post about a Ken Ham lecture.  Let me see if I can paste a picture.  image.thumb.png.20bb8f7666cf2753bbf99a5be9571aa5.png

That looks like him. It’s hard to tell if that’s Mary beside him though. It could be. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:54 PM, SassyPants said:

Yep, especially about some of the sons. Those sons needed Steve to let up, so they themselves and likely at the prompting of their spouses, could let up a bit with their own children. I can’t imagine many parents wanting to repeat Steve and T’s style of parenting. The elder Maxwells’ parenting style presents as completely devoid of joy, individualism and personal growth. I am sure Nathan, Joe and John  Jesse want far more for their children”s lives than what S and T promoted.

Unfortunately I think both John and Christopher are limited by their wives' fundamentalism. Both Anna Marie and Chelsy seem like the type to stay fundie. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 1/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I hate to be this person, but I wasn't around when the world shattered and Sarah, Anna, and Mary were allowed to leave the fenced in yard.  If someone remembers about when this happened to I can find the right old threads and enjoy this chapter from the beginning I'd appreciate an assist.  

I have some links in my bookmarks. For freejinger start here just for fun, there is a page or two about how nothing happens to them and then bam.

https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/661966566674546688/anna-and-mary-maxwell-might-be-attending-bible

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Sops2 said:

This is fun- the Bible College version of Where's Wally?

Spot Sam?

His beard really helps. There are almost no other students I’ve see with a dark beard like his. It’s like Waldo’s red and white hat. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

On 1/30/2022 at 1:17 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

That looks like him. It’s hard to tell if that’s Mary beside him though. It could be. 

It looks like Anna on the far side and Mary closest to baggy chinos crotch guy.

max1.png

• Upvote 3

On 1/29/2022 at 7:45 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Unfortunately I think both John and Christopher are limited by their wives' fundamentalism. Both Anna Marie and Chelsy seem like the type to stay fundie. 

If I remember correctly, Jesse met his wife through the Bontragers.  I think that her father was an engineer, so he probably graduated from college.  I wonder if that is why she appears less fundie than Chelsy.  

I think that Elyssa is the wild card here.  She must have come from a very conservative background in order for her to have met Joe and for Steve to have approved of her, but she is probably the spark that started the 'rebellion.'  I doubt Joe would have moved away from the mothership if she hadn't encouraged it or planted the seeds of change.  She is the first one who didn't regularly appear on the blog and seemed to want a life beyond the tedium of the core family.  However, everything on the blog was carefully curated, so we never truly got a complete picture of their activities.  If we hadn't seen them at Jill D's wedding, we wouldn't have known that they attended, and we also saw pictures of them at Bontrager events that were never mentioned on the blog, so they were probably more socially active than they advertised.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

Weren’t Joe and Elissa in a no touch before marriage arrangement? If so, was that a Steve rule that applied to all of the relationships?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Weren’t Joe and Elissa in a no touch before marriage arrangement? If so, was that a Steve rule that applied to all of the relationships?

Yes, and Joe and his Elizabeth Munck were also "no touch" - which I find so strange!

• Upvote 4

On 1/31/2022 at 11:04 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

His beard really helps. There are almost no other students I’ve see with a dark beard like his. It’s like Waldo’s red and white hat. 

Please don't ever shave, Sam!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

Yes, the Craigs became friends with the Bons through the Bible bee. And I think that’s how Jesse met Anna. I think the Maxwell grandkids will meet a lot of new friends through the Bible bee if they are allowed to keep participating. 

• Upvote 5

On 1/29/2022 at 7:17 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Where are you guys getting these pics?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Where are you guys getting these pics?

All the ABC Facebook pages. Thank goodness for ABC regularly posting pictures on their school pages! Otherwise we would have no clue what events Anna and Mary are doing at college. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Appalachian Bible College Facebook site. Occasionally ABC Admissions. ABC Admissions “broke Maxwell” though and it was awesome. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

All the ABC Facebook pages. Thank goodness for ABC regularly posting pictures on their school pages! Otherwise we would have no clue what events Anna and Mary are doing at college. 

[It's been explained to me that they are being tagged in these pics and haven't stopped that, so it's on them if they allow this.]

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

It looks like Anna on the far side and Mary closest to baggy chinos crotch guy.

max1.png

The 12 year old in me is chuckling at Mary (assuming it's Mary) appearing to be peeking around baggy chinos guy's crotch.:laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

If I remember correctly, Jesse met his wife through the Bontragers.  I think that her father was an engineer, so he probably graduated from college.  I wonder if that is why she appears less fundie than Chelsy.  

I think that Elyssa is the wild card here.  She must have come from a very conservative background in order for her to have met Joe and for Steve to have approved of her, but she is probably the spark that started the 'rebellion.'  I doubt Joe would have moved away from the mothership if she hadn't encouraged it or planted the seeds of change.  She is the first one who didn't regularly appear on the blog and seemed to want a life beyond the tedium of the core family.  However, everything on the blog was carefully curated, so we never truly got a complete picture of their activities.  If we hadn't seen them at Jill D's wedding, we wouldn't have known that they attended, and we also saw pictures of them at Bontrager events that were never mentioned on the blog, so they were probably more socially active than they advertised.

Anna Craig strikes me as less conservative as she and Jesse moved out of his house and lived in an apartment. They don't have kids, although there could be fertility issues. 

Now she is a lot younger than Chelsy. Chelsy is 31 and Anna will be 22 in May. 

It helps that her family are crazy insurrectionists and we know much less about them. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/2/2022 at 10:50 AM, SassyPants said:

Do we actually know that Joe and Elissa were a no-touch courtship? That was the wedding that we didn't find out about until after it had happened. Pretty sure Joe and Elizabeth were no-touch, though, and we know Chris and Anna were. I feel like I saw pictures of Nate and Mel's engagement where they're touching, though, so it may be a newer rule. The key may be Christopher's first engagement. If that was not a no-touch courtship, and they broke up and didn't get married, I could see that swinging Steve ALLLLLL the way over to no-touch in a hurry. But John and Chelsy definitely touched, and I think pictures from Jesse and Anna's rehearsal show that they weren't no-touch, so that may have faded away.

• Upvote 7

I’m just glad they seemed to ditch the no touch courtship because John and Jesse both seemed to touch their girlfriends before marriage. Let’s hope the girls aren’t forced to have no touch courtships. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m just glad they seemed to ditch the no touch courtship because John and Jesse both seemed to touch their girlfriends before marriage. Let’s hope the girls aren’t forced to have no touch courtships. 

For Mary, at least, it appears that ship has sailed. I sincerely hope it's not an actual courtship, that she has the luxury of being friends with at least one person of the opposite sex before thoughts turn to courtship.

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic