IGNORED

Maxwell 52: Retired Vests, Retired Blog, and Retired Maxwells

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Same! If they are able to read just because that would be great. Beverly Lewis and Kingsbury might be 2 authors for them to start with, Christian fiction with romance and kisses before marriage. And some have a little mystery also.

Same with tv/movies. Someone mentioned sex in the city, I don't think they have to go that far, for their sheltered selves the Hallmark Movie Mysteries would be a good start. Almost all have a strong woman lead. Even Gilmore Girls would be scandalous in Maxwell world and I think we all can agree it is a pretty tame show. 

Any of these choices would be a good babystep! 

There is no way on earth the Maxwells are ready for Gilmore Girls, and I don't consider it a tame show. Probably because certain fundie Catholics I know have never approved of the show and have said it was inappropriate.

The Maxwell daughters are still fundie, very fundie. Anna and Mary go to a college that bans almost all secular music and has extreme guidelines on dating. Anna is a counselor at a Christian camp. Mary isn't going on a secular vacation, she's going on a chaperoned mission trip to convert people to the right kind of Jesus. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 7

@Bluebirdbluebell someone wished the Maxwell ladies were watching "Sex In the City" i said Gilmore Girls is tame in comparison. And yup, it tackled some issues some staunch conservatives (of any religion) and fundies would have a huge issue with it. 

I agree, they are still fundie. And babysteps would be hallmark movies, PBS, murder she wrote reruns, etc. And books if they start with Christian fiction like Lewis and Kingsbury it would be another babystep. Maybe it would make them realize they won't be struck down if they read or watch things that are enjoyable and not on their parents approved list. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

@Bluebirdbluebell someone wished the Maxwell ladies were watching "Sex In the City" i said Gilmore Girls is tame in comparison. And yup, it tackled some issues some staunch conservatives (of any religion) and fundies would have a huge issue with it. 

I agree, they are still fundie. And babysteps would be hallmark movies, PBS, murder she wrote reruns, etc. And books if they start with Christian fiction like Lewis and Kingsbury it would be another babystep. Maybe it would make them realize they won't be struck down if they read or watch things that are enjoyable and not on their parents approved list. 

I think for people as fundie as the Maxwells Gilmore Girls wouldn't be any more or less shocking than Sex and the City, but you're right they could try other secular media if they want to.

• Upvote 1

"Touched by an Angel" maybe? 

7th Heaven except the Steven Collins pedophile scandal happened. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think a lot of fundie females Mary and Anna’s age watch Hallmark channel movies, older Disney movies, Jane Austen adaptations, and a few musical classics like The Sound of Music. You can also use “Vidangel” which basically cuts out the cussing and sex. So they could watch some tv shows that way. They might be able to watch Gilmore Girls with Vidangel. 

I just took my kids to see “Lightyear” and we loved it. But the Maxwells won’t see it. Because there’s a lesbian couple who gets married and kisses briefly. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Being completely honest here. I’ve never read about a Christian mission overseas that wasn’t super cringe. This is much of what I expected from a Max daughter. That’s why I was hoping they would go to ABC for a teaching degree. 

Catholic mission trips are really nice.  They focus on the poorest of the poor all over the world, including in the US.  They help with medical care, the elderly, feeding the homeless, etc  It's what mission trips should be about.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic