IGNORED

Maxwell 52: Retired Vests, Retired Blog, and Retired Maxwells

Coconut Flan

Every wedding that I have been to has had a sit down meal. I have been to a few where the cocktail hour food was way better then then wedding meal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

There have been a lot of wedding reception discussions on FJ from what I’ve seen. I haven’t been to many weddings, but I think the main thing is, as long as it’s made clear what kind of reception there’ll be (whether it’s cake and punch or a three-course sit down meal) beforehand, that’s the best way to go about things. 

I have never been to a cake and punch only reception, and I agree with another poster that the wedding is the star of the show, but where I live a full meal is definitely expected. 

I agree with you that it probably should be made clear what kind of reception the guests can expect so no one comes hungry expecting a full meal.  Unless a cake and punch reception is the norm where the couple lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

Out of curiosity is the punch usually to a specific recipe or is there regional variation? I'm assuming it's non-alcoholic at the majority of fundie weddings, but is that also true of mainstream cake and punch receptions?  

• Upvote 1

Too bad this place is way too liberal for Timbits. It’s even in WV where his grandparents, aunt, and cousins live. 

95B4FC5F-64BD-475E-B979-84118BF17102.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

As a guest, I'd _love_ a simple wedding: ceremony and party afterwards taking for a couple of hours, not more. Just cake and drinks to go with that would be totally fine. I really, really dislike the kind of traditional weddings people often have here in Finland that take the whole day (if not whole weekend) and include tons of waiting here, there, and everywhere. People also love to have their weddings in rural places where it's impossible to get to without a car (or driver's license in my case!). Yeah, I'm a bit of a hermit. I have nothing against visiting and celebrating for a few hours, but that's enough for me.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Too bad this place is way too liberal for Timbits. It’s even in WV where his grandparents, aunt, and cousins live. 

95B4FC5F-64BD-475E-B979-84118BF17102.jpeg

Isn't it funny, Steve had mentioned in one of his Dad's Corners years ago that he gave up his aviation hobby as it took time away from his family.  It was in one of his rants about developing an "appetite" for hobbies.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2

30 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Isn't it funny, Steve had mentioned in one of his Dad's Corners years ago that he gave up his aviation hobby as it took time away from his family.  It was in one of his rants about developing an "appetite" for hobbies.

I would laugh if one of his grandsons goes into this field. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But it's aviation PLUS missions, not just flying for fun...

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1

34 minutes ago, Bethy said:

But it's aviation PLUS missions, not just flying for fun...

I’m sure that’s what Steve will tell himself to feel better. But I bet his grandchildren have tons of idols and Steve can’t do anything about it because they aren’t his kids. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sure that’s what Steve will tell himself to feel better. But I bet his grandchildren have tons of idols and Steve can’t do anything about it because they aren’t his kids. 

If ever there was a family to schedule themselves from the great jean skirt shop in the sky, it would be Steve and Teri.

That said, regarding all of this talk of weddings... The Mormon in me is showing, but I still get so confused why people NEED booze at a wedding. If you don't like me enough to enjoy my wedding sober, why on earth would I want to waste my money inviting you? It just seems like a huge insult "I need to be drunk in order to enjoy wonderful food and one of the most important days of a dear friend's life."

No. I definitely do not. By all means drown your sorrows at my funeral, but at my wedding? How dare you.

That said, at this point I assume I'll marry a non-LDS guy and so I assume there will be booze at my wedding at his insistence, which is fair, but still UGH. The insinuations... I just can't.

• Upvote 6
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

On 4/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jana814 said:

Every wedding that I have been to has had a sit down meal. I have been to a few where the cocktail hour food was way better then then wedding meal. 

My nephew had so many meat and side dishes before the wedding meal.  Veal parmigiana, eggplant, pasta dishes, rice dishes, veggie dishes, soups, porchetta, chicken, shrimp cocktail, etc  That was the buffet.  The wedding meal was filet mignon and baked stuffed shrimp.  I have also never been to a wedding that didn't have a sit down meal.  But I think it's cultural.  Italians don't have cheap weddings.  Not that I have anything against them, as long as they feed people something.  

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Worst wedding reception I ever attended was for a big fancy Southern Baptist wedding. Fancy fancy fancy wedding.  Cheap cheap cheap reception in the church hall.  Not to be a BEC (ok I am) but it was a pitiful reception.  Sheet wedding cake meant for 25 people for 100 guests - slices were actual slivers on paper plates.  Ginger ale/ lime sherbet punch served in tiny paper cups (the kind people have in the bathroom) - one cup per guest. 2 small-ish bowls of mints.

This was a Noon wedding so we (group of friends of the groom) were expecting food. Heavy canapes at least if not a meal/ buffet. The entire reception, including the receiving line, took about 90 minutes. At the end of 90 minutes the groom's much older sister announced that the new couple were leaving, so everyone go outside and wave good-bye.

Needless to say after the couple send-off, our group bolted to the nearest bar for burgers, bar food and drinks. 

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 8
  • Move Along 1
  • WTF 3

I went to a wedding not too long ago with a cocktail hour before the ceremony.  I don’t remember anything else.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Haha 15

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It would be even funnier if one of his daughters currently attending ABC decides to switch majors. By the way, its exam week there, so it will be very interesting to see where Mary and Anna end up spending the summer.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

? It just seems like a huge insult "I need to be drunk in order to enjoy wonderful food and one of the most important days of a dear friend's life."

Most people do not get drunk when they drink. Drinking of the champagne toast sort just adds to the convivial, celebratory feeling. No one was drunk at my wedding.  

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

On 2/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, FiveAcres said:

From what I understand, a lot of lower ranked military families qualify for government assistance. 

We did when we were stationed at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey 35 years ago. Just the two of us.

• Upvote 3

I've enjoyed every UK wedding I've ever been to, whether they served a buffet or a several course dinner.  I've never been to one with cake and mints but I've been invited just to the evening (and not the main reception) a few times. Those cases are usually where young couples want to invite large friendship groups but are limited by finances so they will have family, wedding party and best friends to the main afternoon meal, and then have a larger crowd invited for evening drinks, hot or cold food and music or disco.

The only hard thing about weddings for me is that invitations usually just give a time to be at the church and give details of location of the reception venue. They almost never say the time of the meal and there is no conventional time since weddings seem to take place on the hour  throughout the day in busy premises.  So if the photographer takes the wedding party off for a long photo session between wedding ceremony and reception there can be a very long, hungry wait for the entrance to the restaurant or hall.

• Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 2

One of the worst wedding receptions I've been at, from a food standpoint, was actually at a country club. I'm sure every guest's meal cost $40 if it cost a dime (this was a decade and a half ago, feel free to double that now) but the beef - the only main dish option - was painfully rare, the steamed green beans were too tough to chew, and the cake didn't even taste good. Mr. Bethy and I bolted for fast food as soon as it was over. We watched and learned...and had plentiful, recognizable food at our buffet.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Most people do not get drunk when they drink. Drinking of the champagne toast sort just adds to the convivial, celebratory feeling. No one was drunk at my wedding.  

It depends on the clientele. I attended a HS friend's wedding years ago...he and his bride had just graduated from college so their friends in attendance were largely in their early 20s. One guest at the same table as me decided that since it was an open bar, it would be a good time to get "absolutely shitfaced." She got so drunk she literally fell out of her chair.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

14 minutes ago, Bethy said:

One of the worst wedding receptions I've been at, from a food standpoint, was actually at a country club. I'm sure every guest's meal cost $40 if it cost a dime (this was a decade and a half ago, feel free to double that now) but the beef - the only main dish option - was painfully rare, the steamed green beans were too tough to chew, and the cake didn't even taste good. Mr. Bethy and I bolted for fast food as soon as it was over. We watched and learned...and had plentiful, recognizable food at our buffet.

It depends on the clientele. I attended a HS friend's wedding years ago...he and his bride had just graduated from college so their friends in attendance were largely in their early 20s. One guest at the same table as me decided that since it was an open bar, it would be a good time to get "absolutely shitfaced." She got so drunk she literally fell out of her chair.

I guess it's all about making memories.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

Gah! Not pretty. My parents wanted an open bar, but we limited it to just an hour before dinner so nobody would think they were expected to get sloshed. We also had people assigned to the two family members who might overindulge to do what they could to minimize their drinking—or make sure they got home safely if they got drunk anyway. But they were fine. 
 My wedding might have been fundie approved in other respects: my dress had a high collar and long sleeves and for music we had a string trio so nobody danced. 
  I guess we were a sedate bunch. 😉

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

Well this will make the Maxwells happy...Roe v Wade is likely going to be overturned.  Fuck the Maxwells and their ilk.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 3
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It would be even funnier if one of his daughters currently attending ABC decides to switch majors. By the way, its exam week there, so it will be very interesting to see where Mary and Anna end up spending the summer.

How will we know? 

33 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Well this will make the Maxwells happy...Roe v Wade is likely going to be overturned.  Fuck the Maxwells and their ilk.

I don’t live in America anymore but WHAT??? I hadn’t heard this.

50 minutes ago, meee said:

I don’t live in America anymore but WHAT??? I hadn’t heard this.

It's just hitting the news in the past few hours.  Currently it's in the form of a draft from SCOTUS,  from back in February.  Don't know when it will be formally decided.

Part of the newsworthy aspect is that the draft was leaked.  There are never leaks from SCOTUS, but this leaked.

One "silver lining" I read is that it makes a strong Democratic showing in the November midterms more likely, as all the outrage boils over.  We can only hope.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic