IGNORED

Maxwell 52: Retired Vests, Retired Blog, and Retired Maxwells

Coconut Flan

11 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Anna and Mary look absolutely beautiful in the graduation pictures. 

We talk a lot about how it is extremely unfair to Sarah that she "missed" her time to go to college and didn't get the opportunity that the other two got. However, it also really sucks for the possibly hundreds of other young ladies who did not get the opportunity to go to college because Steve convinced their parents that this was an evil choice. 

Plus, Sarah could still go to college at night, meet new people and graduate like her sisters.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Plus, Sarah could still go to college at night, meet new people and graduate like her sisters.

Or she could go to college during the day and do likewise. I got my BS when I was 44 but you know what? Even if I hadn't gone back to school, I'd have still been 44 that year, just without a degree and a fulfilling career for the next 21 years.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 27

If Sarah is doing "financials" as noted on her Instagram account, she could take accounting courses and up her game for Swift Otter. 

Damn, if Arnold had his own Instagram, I'd so follow that cat. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

On 5/20/2022 at 8:33 PM, Cults-r-us said:

There is a fine liberal arts college RIGHT THERE in their own town.  It has a pretty good business department, too, and has a good enough reputation in greater Kansas City that she could land a job pretty easily.  (I know this because I myself an alumna of said school).  Of course, it's run by those evil Catholics, so that's a no-go.  But there are other Christian colleges in the greater KC area that would be an option.  William Jewell was founded by Baptists (though is technically independent now).  There's Mid-America Nazarene, right there in Olathe, with the brothers.  So, it's never too late, if that's what she wants, even if she doesn't want to leave home in the same way as her sisters.

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, MaryatHome said:

There is a fine liberal arts college RIGHT THERE in their own town.  It has a pretty good business department, too, and has a good enough reputation in greater Kansas City that she could land a job pretty easily.  (I know this because I myself an alumna of said school).  Of course, it's run by those evil Catholics, so that's a no-go.  But there are other Christian colleges in the greater KC area that would be an option.  William Jewell was founded by Baptists (though is technically independent now).  There's Mid-America Nazarene, right there in Olathe, with the brothers.  So, it's never too late, if that's what she wants, even if she doesn't want to leave home in the same way as her sisters.

With the quality of her homeschool education, I wonder if she'd be able to get into a normal college.  She is a hard worker, but that wouldn't make up for lack of knowledge.  I suspect that Anna and Mary were able to get into bible college because the standards were lower.  I am not saying that they aren't smart or that they don't try hard, but their education appears to be lacking, since Teri just gave them workbooks to complete.  But of course, we don't know for sure.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

The Max girls are adorable.

Agree, but since they’re all adults, women. They are beautiful women! 

Spoiler

😀

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

With the quality of her homeschool education, I wonder if she'd be able to get into a normal college.  She is a hard worker, but that wouldn't make up for lack of knowledge.  I suspect that Anna and Mary were able to get into bible college because the standards were lower.  I am not saying that they aren't smart or that they don't try hard, but their education appears to be lacking, since Teri just gave them workbooks to complete.  But of course, we don't know for sure.

I agree with you that Sarah’s exposure to a great deal of information was limited in her homeschooling, but her parents were at least college-educated. I figure she’d do quite well in math and the hard sciences, but she’d need a good dose of the humanities, particularly philosophy and logic—to say nothing of a writing course or two. 

• Upvote 5

I was thinking more of practical accounting courses at a community college to up her game at Swift Otter.  Hard to know what her ambitions are or if she has any...40 years of Stevehovah's relentless repression and a depressed mother may have robbed her of understanding she's capable of any degree of personal agency.  However, she did move out of the family home, so that points to her wanting to live her own life. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I was just looking through some Appalachian Bible Camp feed to see if I could find earlier proof of the MaxSisters (negative). But!! How Steve Maxwell is this? The MaxWomen probably leaned heavy on this one, showing how much that place, too, focuses on hell. 

2941B393-9993-4F14-9547-623AE3026C13.png

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, crawfishgirl said:

I'm pretty sure she could have attained admittance to at least one of the schools I mentioned, and even at the other two could have at least started part-time.

As for the community college angle, there is a modern campus in town, though is not a full-service location (it's complicated in Kansas), and the full campus is less than a half-hour drive.  There's also a premiere community college in the next county to the south, which would have a slightly higher tuition rate to an out-of-county resident.  And all of them have online credit courses she may well have accessed to develop the skills she uses for her bookkeeping work.

All this to say that she has options, even now, that I hope she has or will access, either public or religious-based.

• Upvote 11

To me, the quality of the Maxwell Homeschool is a mystery.  Some fundies had clear neglect (Duggars & Rods).  I doubt the Maxwell school diploma was good, even though it was likely better than some of the families we discuss here.

We know that Steve and Terri heavily restricted normal information in their schooling (crossing out the names of Egyptian gods; teaching that books shouldn't be read for pleasure- I would likely sob at their middle and high school literature choices).  

More than anything, I hope those girls have found their way to a kindle unlimited subscription or the like.  I don't care that they read "liberal" or "racy" choices-  just that they find the joy of reading.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

On 5/24/2022 at 1:42 AM, fundiewatch said:

I was just looking through some Appalachian Bible Camp feed to see if I could find earlier proof of the MaxSisters (negative). But!! How Steve Maxwell is this? The MaxWomen probably leaned heavy on this one, showing how much that place, too, focuses on hell. 

2941B393-9993-4F14-9547-623AE3026C13.png

Hahaha has Steve got himself a little retirement gig at his daughters' bible camp?  That just looks like trolling!

On 5/23/2022 at 10:37 PM, Howl said:

I was thinking more of practical accounting courses at a community college to up her game at Swift Otter.  Hard to know what her ambitions are or if she has any...40 years of Stevehovah's relentless repression and a depressed mother may have robbed her of understanding she's capable of any degree of personal agency.  However, she did move out of the family home, so that points to her wanting to live her own life. 

I remember in one blog she said she learned Quickbooks at age 16 to do some book-keeping for a local business (a dentist maybe).  She could have done all sorts of training that we dont know about.  

• Upvote 10

I swear someone in ABC Admissions may have some sort of beautiful hand in this. November 2019 they posted the above and got to work. Laying breadcrumbs. COVID was an unexpectedly big breaking point in their favor. And then they landed the MaxGals, taking down Stevehova. What a game! What a team! 😆 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

Mary was one of 25 on the President's list this semester!

I noticed Sam and Anna were missing. They must’ve gotten some B’s.

• Upvote 8

I admit I scanned all the faces— imagine we found out about a marriage if Anna had a different name!

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

I admit I scanned all the faces— imagine we found out about a marriage if Anna had a different name!

Sam is going into his senior year and Mary into her Junior year. I could see a proposal after he graduates, but probably not before then. Hopefully she would finish her studies.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sam is going into his senior year and Mary into her Junior year. I could see a proposal after he graduates, but probably not before then. Hopefully she would finish her studies.

Even at that they will have had far more time to get to know each other than most of the fundie couple we discuss. Literally, years of conversations without interruptions from parents.

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe she'll finish her studies for the same reason as Brenna Gimenez Blankenship.

This is from her mother's blog:

We are so proud of our Brenna!! She has been so diligent to work and study hard to earn her Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education!

When AJ asked to marry Brenna, she had one semester left.  We told him that even though we knew Brenna wanted to be a homemaker and not work outside the home once she was married, we still felt it would be wise for her to do that one last semester and get her degree.  We don't know what the future of homeschooling is in America.  There could come a day that you need a degree in order to teach your kids at home.  We knew if she put forth the effort she wouldn't regret it in the long run.  AJ agreed.  So she did her last semester and internship after she got married.

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 4

7 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

That is sickening. The parents decided and he agreed, so she got to do. Yuck! 

Exactly.  Do you think Brenna had any say in this whatsoever?

• Upvote 7

I have to admit, Memorial Day seemed a little off to me this year. There was no Maxwell post making Memorial Day about abortion. No twisted "logic" equating a military death to an aborted fetus. Weird.

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic