IGNORED

Erin & Chad 8: Hasbro Paine, Cleveland Paine, Labour Paine

nelliebelle1197

5 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Yep, I remember that very well. It was Tori and yes that was very rude. 

Tori does comes across as very rude. She chooses to keep herself more private so we actually dont see her speak much, but the few times she got the spotlight like during her wedding preparations on the show she showed herself to be very rude to others.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, llucie said:

Tori does comes across as very rude. She chooses to keep herself more private so we actually dont see her speak much, but the few times she got the spotlight like during her wedding preparations on the show she showed herself to be very rude to others.

She also refuses to dress appropriately at the weddings of other people. There are plenty of ways to get dressed with minimal fuss and still look both modest and wedding appropriate.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

42 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

She also refuses to dress appropriately at the weddings of other people. There are plenty of ways to get dressed with minimal fuss and still look both modest and wedding appropriate.

I think "refuses" is a bit harsh. Not everyone is good at fashion/dressing up. She also has three very young children. The fact she makes it there at all, with three babies, amazes me.

With hundreds of guests, I doubt the bride cares if Tori is "wedding appropriate", and I'm pretty sure the groom never notices. So if they don't care, why does it matter?

• Upvote 14

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I think "refuses" is a bit harsh. Not everyone is good at fashion/dressing up. She also has three very young children. The fact she makes it there at all, with three babies, amazes me.

With hundreds of guests, I doubt the bride cares if Tori is "wedding appropriate", and I'm pretty sure the groom never notices. So if they don't care, why does it matter?

We were discussing Tori being rude. I provided another anecdote of rudeness 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Upvote 5

I remember being kind of glad Tori was rude. It seemed to indicate less mind control. She was pretty rude toward her mom too about domestic cooking skills also. And that seemed like either the Bates weren’t as capable of squelching resistance or Tori was resisting. 

Also, she was a young teen. Being filmed on TV. I would expect rudeness/immaturity/general obnoxiousness from that age group and it felt normalish. I think it is creepier when they are all well behaved and silent. Erin’s jumper clad judgey looks of Amy when they visited the Duggars stuck out to me more. 

• Upvote 15

5 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

We were discussing Tori being rude. I provided another anecdote of rudeness 🤷🏼‍♀️

I don't think it's rude at all. I imagine Tori can barely cope with three under four AND she recently moved into a new house. For all we know, she has PPD. She is probably overwhelmed. Why are women so harsh to each other, demanding fashion-centric perfection during a very demanding time of life? I wonder why we can't be kinder to one another?

The point of inviting guests is to have your loved ones there to celebrate. Tori was there to celebrate. She made the effort to show up when she's probably exhausted. I'd hardly call that "rude."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I think Tori is maybe less „wedding appropriately dressed“ in comparison to her sisters, but if you look at how many of those guests turn up (and even some grooms) she fits right into it. Jeans, denim shirts, every day clothes seem to be perfectly acceptable for the „normal guests“. So it seems dressing up is just as appropriate as not in their circles and a personal preference. Most of her sisters also post extensively on Social Media with financial intents. They have another layer of motivation to look as good as possible that Tori has not. It’s not as if she is the odd one out when she is a bridesmaid (which she is very seldom).

And while I agree @neuroticcat, that teenagers will often be obnoxious, rude, too cool for everything…..I do think Carlin and Tori enjoyed playing those roles. Reality has hit both very differently though. Carlin married another version of herself and both enable each other to be even more obnoxious than ever. Tori and Bobby are very private and less loud. She has toned it down a lot I think. I wonder how his unsuccessful stunt as a preacher has affected their relationship. It seems they enable their quieter, no nonsense sides in each other? While Carlin seems to take self worth of her looks, Tori seems to take it by not being interested in it too much. I don’t think any approach is better than the other.

• Upvote 8

I think Tori dresses fine for weddings. She may not be the most elegant, but she isn't wearing a jumpsuit or ripped jeans (not that those outfits are bad, but would be shocking at least and even insulting for traditional brides). 

This said, Tori IS rude. But she is not the only rude Bates. In the old videos, when they were more "themselves" rudeness could be seen around. 

• Upvote 7

How come Tori is more financially secure and not in need of the influencer money? Is Bobby’s family floating them? Don’t they own a house? Is Bobby gainfully employed? Without help from an outside source, how come they seem better off than many others?

25 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

How come Tori is more financially secure and not in need of the influencer money? Is Bobby’s family floating them? Don’t they own a house? Is Bobby gainfully employed? Without help from an outside source, how come they seem better off than many others?

Doesn't Bobby work with Kelton? 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

If he works for Kelton, someone must be supplementing their income. Kelton is the owner of the company, yet Josie still works and does the influencer gig too. Maybe the Balkas need more money? Didn’t  the Smiths(? Last name) buy a house near Zach and Whit? Hard to keep up-

If he works for Kelton, someone must be supplementing their income. Kelton is the owner of the company, yet Josie still works and does the influencer gig too. Maybe the Balkas need more money? Didn’t  the Smiths(? Last name) buy a house near Zach and Whit? Hard to keep up-

Maybe they don’t NEED the money but want the money? Growing up the way they did I can see the appeal of making as much as possible while they can. Also if they plan on having a lot more kids I can see why they would make as much as they can for the time being until Josie has to step aside because she has kids at home to raise.
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, EmiSue said:

He does. He is the office manager and someone on Reddit said he has become a partner. He seems to run the office side of things (and the website).

I think Josie and Kelton are both do-ers. I think they both like having their own businesses and I think Josie genuinely enjoys influencing (and it helps promote her business). Kelton was invited to some banquet as a top doner a month or so ago (of a pro-life charity, of course). 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Well Josie also shops a lot more than Tori lol

• Upvote 11

I have zero proof of this but I think young fundie men with families probably receive help from their parents if their parents have the money. And a big factor in that is family size. Bobby has only 2 siblings. I bet he gets some financial help. Just like I think Travis will be receiving help as well. Parents of 19 can’t usually give a lot of help to each adult child. It was smart for some of the Bates kids to marry into smaller families. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

He does. He is the office manager and someone on Reddit said he has become a partner. He seems to run the office side of things (and the website).

I think Josie and Kelton are both do-ers. I think they both like having their own businesses and I think Josie genuinely enjoys influencing (and it helps promote her business). Kelton was invited to some banquet as a top doner a month or so ago (of a pro-life charity, of course). 

Well Josie also shops a lot more than Tori lol

He also is training to be a plumber, and, apparently Kelton’s plumbing company did quite well and grew during the pandemic as an essential business. I watched the Bates episode spotlighting how they all were coping in lockdown and he and Evan (as an electrician) were all essential workers with added business because of everyone doing home Reno in lockdown. Anyway, IIRC, the company had a decent amount of staff, not just Kelton.

I imagine they do the influencer thing for extras. I mean, I would' if I essentially had a natural platform for the show. Koala crates are expensive! Only half joking. A lot of what they promote as influencers are “luxury” type items. Even with a decent income, all those extras must be outside of the budget. Also, they could be ATI enough that they all are aggressively trying to pay their home mortgages off?

• Upvote 7

Trades can be pretty lucrative - especially in the last 2ish years.  Increased demand for housing in LCOL areas driven by remote workers has all sorts of contractors with more work than time. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 12/31/2021 at 4:37 PM, SassyPants said:

Not everybody can be an influencer. Some people hate cameras or are too shy or too private. If Tori needed money, she could teach her siblings or nephews/nieces (she did in the past, but it wasn't stated if she earned some money).

Anyway, Tori and Bobby seem to be very frugal. No brand new outfits every Sunday, no fancy vacations, not a McMansion... Their kids are very young, which means they are little expense. I think they can live with an average salary and even with a modest one. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/31/2021 at 6:33 PM, PurpleCats said:

Trades can be pretty lucrative - especially in the last 2ish years.  Increased demand for housing in LCOL areas driven by remote workers has all sorts of contractors with more work than time. 

I wrote a paper about this in college about 10ish years ago and even then the trades were incredibly lucrative and had been for quite awhile.  The workforce at that time was aging and way more were retiring than new ones were coming in.  Plumbers, electricians, machinists, HVAC, etc., were in desperate demand even then, let alone now throughout the pandemic.  I recall one stat from the paper that a new plumber, working at the apprentice level, could bring in as much as $100k a year and experienced plumbers in busy areas or areas where they were one of few plumbers working could make up to $300k a year.  Now, these are of course best case scenarios, but after a quick google search with anecdotal evidence, it looks like the average salary for a plumber in TN is around $60k.  That's very good money in a relatively low cost of living area.  If a Bates husband owns the company and has a few plumbers and other trade workers working for them, they could be bringing quite a bit of money.  During the pandemic, just about every person I know has had some form of work done on their home since we've all been so focused on staying home, so I think trade workers have likely been making big money during the last two years and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was cash and not always reported.  

• Upvote 8

On 12/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, CanadianMamam said:

She said they are looking into whether they can do that. My guess is permits. Here there is a lot of rules and red tapes with additions.

Cost is also a factor. We looked into a small one room addition and it would be about 90k. Now Chad could do all the work but supply costs have gone up a lot and they would need more than one room so they might be weighing whether it is worth it.

I imagine they also have pretty strict criteria if they buy a house and that they don't want to move again, so they have to find a house that fits their needs which likely includes a lot of land unless they want to get rid of their goats, bunnies, chickens and pigs. It's not actually an easy feat to find a large, affordable  house with a lot of land, especially in this market. 

It is so much cheaper to do it with your own crew. We added two rooms, new wiring and plumbing and a bathroom and redid the rest of our house for $80,000. My husband and his crew did it themselves, the same way Chad would do it. My husband is a master plumber from New Zealand so our plumbing is the best too! We were also able to do it in a couple months because we stopped all other jobs and just did it. The usual overhead really does not apply when you are doing work on your own house.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 7

On 12/31/2021 at 12:02 PM, Heidijoey said:

Maybe they don’t NEED the money but want the money? Growing up the way they did I can see the appeal of making as much as possible while they can. Also if they plan on having a lot more kids I can see why they would make as much as they can for the time being until Josie has to step aside because she has kids at home to raise.

It also may be about attention and not money.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if BP has been born? Doesn’t Erin typically deliver a month early? I thought she’d have a baby by Christmas-

47 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Wonder if BP has been born? Doesn’t Erin typically deliver a month early? I thought she’d have a baby by Christmas-

It's hard to tell based on her Instagram activity. She could post one day and announce the next. She tends to post the day of birth or the next day.

49 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m hoping she can go closer to term this time around. Or maybe her doctors won’t let her?

Is she typically induced early because of the clotting issue? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, SassyPants said:

Is she typically induced early because of the clotting issue? 

I can’t remember. She must be induced since she’s always about 3-4 weeks early. 

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic