IGNORED

Erin & Chad 8: Hasbro Paine, Cleveland Paine, Labour Paine

nelliebelle1197

40 minutes ago, Angelface said:

When is Erin’s baby due? I think I read somewhere that it is due in January but wondered if that accounts for Erin delivering early (as she invariably does). If not, then the baby could arrive this month. Goodness, squeezing five children into that tiny cottage will be a challenge. No matter how pretty it is I’d be desperate for more space. 

Those kids seem to spend large amounts of time outside, which is good for them. Where I cringe is the homeschooling set up. There is no way those kids can learn in that cramped, noisy, cluttered, kitchen environment. I wonder if they could enclose the porch to given them more space. I know they rent, but maybe the owner would allow for that improvement, and with Chad’s skills and some help, it could be done quickly and inexpensively.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Erin calls everyone her best friend. Her mom, Carson, Chad, Tori, everyone basically. I don’t think Erin understands the definition of “best.”

Lol. I am guilty of this, I have three "besties" and I use the title best interchangeable for them. But they all fill such different roles in my life. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, SassyPants said:

Those kids seem to spend large amounts of time outside, which is good for them

But there are still many cold, windy or rainy days, specially in late fall and winter. Yes, the can go out for a while in rainy boots, but most of the day will be indoors. In addition, winter days are short, so the afternoons must be indoors even if weather is warm. 

We know for sure that the kids have very few toys and that they homeschool with videos. Kids are probably watching a screen long hours, apart from playing and painting/crafts (which I'm sure they do, too). It is possible they go to the big Bates house to play indoors.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:47 AM, Johannah said:

Finley is not a tryndy name. It is a surname name. Which has always been a popular thing to do in the south. It tends to be more of the wealthy long-established families that give girls their mothers’ maiden names as first names (like Collins from The Blindside). I know several southern girls named things like Hardin and Sterling and Luin and Hollis and Finley!, and they all have well-educated wealthy parents. 

I think the surname for girls approach has now become more mainstream with the rise in popularity of names like Madison, Harper, Avery, Taylor, etc. I know this is a matter of opinion/taste, but I can’t believe there’s such a reaction to a name like Finley being odd or in poor taste when Erin has nieces and nephews named Kolter and Khloé and Maci. THOSE are the names that fall under the tryndy category, not Finley. 

I actually love the name Hollis.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

I actually love the name Hollis.

It reminds me of Rachel Hollis so it’s a big no from me. I can’t stand that woman.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It reminds me of Rachel Hollis so it’s a big no from me. I can’t stand that woman.

Oh… totally off topic, but another Rachel Hollis hater here too.  Have you listened to the Maintenance Phase podcast episodes about her?  If not, you must!  

• Upvote 4

Whenever I hear Hollis I think of the crazy polygamist from Big Love, Hollis Green? With is wife Selma, who was Roman's sister? I am a huge Big Love fan though so not sure if anyone else would know who I'm talking about.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I live in a two-bedroom 950sqft house that I just adore, but while it's the perfect size for my husband, myself, and our 10lb princess dog, I cannot imagine having a child in it, much less 5 (we use the very small second bedroom as an office for all our work from home).

Our little house feels cluttered so I did watch the house tour and heres the summary: 

• Chad made short wooden platforms to go under the two couches in the living room, and they have plastic bins underneath the couches with toys/art supplies/etc. No snark from me that's actually a great idea
  • The piano is also against a wall in the living room. Sad to hear that Erin mentioned it was important because Carson played, not because of her own teaching or enjoyment
  • They have a pretty big white farmhouse kitchen with a big wooden island that serves as their table. Backless stools for the family which seems like her kids are too young but I'm not a parent so I don't know. There's also a laundry nook for machines in the kitchen which is very European.
  • So the secret is Chad built shelves everywhere. Like every wall has beautiful wooden shelves that Chad put up. 
  • The master bedroom is so much bigger (like all these rooms seem bigger?) than ours. We barely fit a Queen and a dresser in our master but she's got the tilted Queen, plus a crib, plus two dressers. Good for them I guess.
  • The kids room has two bunkbeds with storage space underneath for all their clothes, and one toybox. There's also one closet. 
  • They are still renting but debating buying this property. They have put in offers on three places but finding the housing market competitive. 

In summary, Erin did a great job with the small space if you like the country look. The kids do have to live their life out of plastic boxes though - all their toys, books (not as many as I would want), and clothes are in plastic totes hidden away. I think they should expand or get a new place but won't that be weird if they end up with Carson in his own room and the four girls sharing. It would take the favored child dynamic up 10-fold. Overall I'm impressed by how much organization they have and I'm realizing I need more shelves. And apparently a Chad.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 10

I’m ADHD and putting things in bins is how I stay organized. So I am not sad that her children live out of plastic bins, mine do too and my house is much large. But if I don’t put things in bins, I will never put it a way. So I have bins for everything. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

The biggest issue I’ve had with their set up is the bedrooms. I’ve said for awhile now that Erin and Chad need to switch bedrooms with the kids. Their bedroom is one of the biggest rooms in the house. It would be a good play space when the weather is bad. If they put both bunk beds in the room, there would still be room for playing. There’s absolutely no room for playing in their current room with two bunk beds. Plus she could have the younger kids playing in their bedroom while the two oldest do their homeschooling. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The biggest issue I’ve had with their set up is the bedrooms. I’ve said for awhile now that Erin and Chad need to switch bedrooms with the kids. Their bedroom is one of the biggest rooms in the house. It would be a good play space when the weather is bad. If they put both bunk beds in the room, there would still be room for playing. There’s absolutely no room for playing in their current room with two bunk beds. Plus she could have the younger kids playing in their bedroom while the two oldest do their homeschooling. 

I have deeply appreciation for my mother. For this very reason. Post divorce my mother took the tiny bedroom and gave my sister and I the larger of the two bedrooms in our duplex.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

Growing up, I had the “master” bedroom for that reason. I had more store than my parents and spent more time in my room playing. My parents just basically had a bed and dresser in there. 

• Upvote 8

We did that , too.  We had a mix of two- and three-bedroom apartments over the years, and in each of the two-bedrooms, my parents took the smaller bedroom and gave the bigger one to my sister and me so that we’d have more room to play.  

• Upvote 10

The master bedroom in our current house is quite significantly bigger than the other two. We have three kids and one kid has their own room, DP and I have the other littler room, and our two youngest share the master bedroom. It can fit a bed for each of them without having to be bunk beds (although currently that’s how they choose to have them so they can have more floor space). Even if the two beds were separated there is still more than adequate space for their dressers and toys etc. I can’t imagine four kids in one of our regular sized bedrooms. We could do two sets of bunk beds in the master and make it work, but even with that sized room, four would be a lot.

Having it the way round Erin and Chad do seems selfish to me personally. If they are going to be in a way small house, at least give the kids the best amount of living space you can. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I definitely agree with this, but I’m also kind of horrified by the bathroom situation.  1 tiny bathroom for all of them?!  I can’t imagine that with a bunch of little kids who often wait to use the restroom until they really need to go.  What if someone is showering or another kid is on the toilet.  Or if heaven forbid, they have a stomach bug pass through the house (it happened to us several times when my kids were little).  A single bathroom seems inadequate, but maybe I’m overestimating the need for more than one toilet…?  

• Upvote 10

7 minutes ago, SimplyMe said:

I definitely agree with this, but I’m also kind of horrified by the bathroom situation.  1 tiny bathroom for all of them?!  I can’t imagine that with a bunch of little kids who often wait to use the restroom until they really need to go.  What if someone is showering or another kid is on the toilet.  Or if heaven forbid, they have a stomach bug pass through the house (it happened to us several times when my kids were little).  A single bathroom seems inadequate, but maybe I’m overestimating the need for more than one toilet…?  

If I were Erin, I would definitely have some little training potties handy for emergencies. And I would make Carson pee outside in some bushes if someone was in the shower. 

• Upvote 9

with that many people, kids or not, one bathroom does seem inadequate.  (she's pregnant with #5, right?  i keep losing track.....)

my house has three adults and one bathroom, and while we occasionally have to take turns, one is fine.  for three.  the Paines are already up to 6 people, pending number seven (i think), and while the littlest one or two may not be trained yet, they will be soon enough and i agree that for their numbers, two would be better. 

we regularly gather at my sister's house (we're all vaxxed and mostly boostered); she has one bath, and when all eleven of us are there for half a day, there are still calls for "next in the bathroom!"  none of us would want that on a daily basis.

• Upvote 9

35 minutes ago, catlady said:

with that many people, kids or not, one bathroom does seem inadequate.  (she's pregnant with #5, right?  i keep losing track.....)

my house has three adults and one bathroom, and while we occasionally have to take turns, one is fine.  for three.  the Paines are already up to 6 people, pending number seven (i think), and while the littlest one or two may not be trained yet, they will be soon enough and i agree that for their numbers, two would be better. 

we regularly gather at my sister's house (we're all vaxxed and mostly boostered); she has one bath, and when all eleven of us are there for half a day, there are still calls for "next in the bathroom!"  none of us would want that on a daily basis.

When we had thanksgiving at my mom’s house this year, I went down to the horrible basement toilet to poop. I didn’t want to take up the only real bathroom on the main floor. What I didn’t realize is there was no toilet paper down there because it’s never used 🙄 I’m glad I had my phone because I had to text my husband from the basement to bring me some. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

Here's what I noticed.

Chad and Erin (2 people) have the large bedroom. In fact, it may be the largest room in the house. The four kids have the small bedroom.

Chad and Erin have dressers. The kids have bins.

Such an odd way they treat these "blessings."

Also, what was that Erin said about putting the new baby on Chad's side of the bed because he was going to take care of her at night? Really? She's already decided that Chad's going to do the night work? No wonder the poor guy always looks exhausted.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

what did we ever do before cel phones!  i guess we would have just shouted "honey, i need some tp stat!!"

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When we had thanksgiving at my mom’s house this year, I went down to the horrible basement toilet to poop. I didn’t want to take up the only real bathroom on the main floor. What I didn’t realize is there was no toilet paper down there because it’s never used 🙄 I’m glad I had my phone because I had to text my husband from the basement to bring me some. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, catlady said:

what did we ever do before cel phones!  i guess we would have just shouted "honey, i need some tp stat!!"

Exactly! I remember so many times growing up screaming from the bathroom, “mooooooooom! I need toilet paper!”

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

On 10/26/2021 at 6:10 PM, WiseGirl said:

And @GreenBeans

Me three with Hasbro!

Hasbro could be part of a set of triplets along with Lite Brite and Weebles 

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Exactly! I remember so many times growing up screaming from the bathroom, “mooooooooom! I need toilet paper!”

OneKid once locked herself out on the back deck while Mr. and I were out. Luckily we weren’t that far away when we got her text as she didn’t have to wait very long. 
When we pulled into the driveway  she yelled down to us ‘HURRY I have to poop’!  
I’m sure the neighbors on both sides heard her.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Hasbro could be part of a set of triplets along with Lite Brite and Weebles 

OneKid once locked herself out on the back deck while Mr. and I were out. Luckily we weren’t that far away when we got her text as she didn’t have to wait very long. 
When we pulled into the driveway  she yelled down to us ‘HURRY I have to poop’!  
I’m sure the neighbors on both sides heard her.  

My dad’s house only had one bathroom for a long time and there were 5 of us. I can’t count the amount of times someone was pounding on the bathroom door because they had to poop. There were multiple accidents. We were all so relieved when a half bath was added when I was about 11. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

My dad’s house only had one bathroom for a long time and there were 5 of us. I can’t count the amount of times someone was pounding on the bathroom door because they had to poop. There were multiple accidents. We were all so relieved when a half bath was added when I was about 11. 

There were also 5 of us and one bathroom in the house.   And yes, there were those "hurry up!" moments.  Dad always planned on adding a 2nd bathroom but only got as far as installing a shower stall in the basement.

When Mr. No and I bought our house, we definitely went for 1 and 1/2 baths, because we could live with one tub / shower but not one toilet.

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic