IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

Today is Anna's birthday and no post for her.  Happy Birthday Anna sorry you weren't acknowledged on the blog today.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Today is Anna's birthday and no post for her.  Happy Birthday Anna sorry you weren't acknowledged on the blog today.

I hope her friends take her out to lunch and they all have a good time.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when the Pastor had that conversation (or many conversations) with Stevehovah

When the  Mary and Anna found out they were going away to school, pretty sure they were shrieking with joy.  Maybe shrieking  inwardly and very, very quietly, but damn.  It says something when a mega conservative tiny Christian college is total freedom.  It makes me angry how much they missed while being emotionally suffocated under Steve's roof.  That they are mingling and being social is so good -- indication that they are not emotionally stunted. 

So, are they going home for XMas break?  Stay tuned! 

• Upvote 11

So have Anna and Mary gone to college because Mary was already pre-courting this young man? 

That would have probably been a huge impetus for why Sarah shot out the Maxwell door. It would be very hard to stay at home after the very youngest sister got wed.

It will be very interesting to see Mary go on to missionary life, if she does it in a public way. She seems to have had the most charmed Maxhell childhood, being allowed to fill so much of her time with artwork and lettering and youth club leader activities.

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I am a little uncomfortable with the assumption is that Mary is involved romantically with this young man. They are clearly friends and spend a lot of time together, but to go from that to romance is a big leap. I think one of the benefits of college for Anna and Mary is the ability to make friends outside their family circle, and most especially friends of the opposite sex. I have a lot of platonic male friends from all the different stages of my life and really value those friendships, and I`m thrilled that Anna and Mary will be able to have guy friends as well.

If this dude IS a boyfriend type, I`m obviously happy for Mary too; I hope that she can enjoy the relationship without the pressure of family expectations and also, if it doesn`t work out, they can gracefully break up without the drama attending a broken courtship or engagement. The ability to date a couple of people to find the best fit is also another benefit of college.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

So have Anna and Mary gone to college because Mary was already pre-courting this young man? 

I have an idea that is the case.

If true, all the Hock's have a pretty active Facebook presence, so hopefully we'll hear about any marriage from them, if not the Maxwells.

Sam has two more years at ABC, so probably nothing before that.

His parents are getting up in age.  Maybe Sam and Mary will take over as missionaries in Uruguay?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I imagine the Maxwells take things very slow. So they probably aren’t in a relationship yet. They are probably just in the “getting to know you” stage. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I am a little uncomfortable with the assumption is that Mary is involved romantically with this young man. They are clearly friends and spend a lot of time together, but to go from that to romance is a big leap.

I am not assuming anything but the photos do seem to show her with the same person and I'm not sure platonic boy friends are a thing in Maxhell? 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I imagine the Maxwells take things very slow. So they probably aren’t in a relationship yet. They are probably just in the “getting to know you” stage. 

From the sort of "Our Story" posts we have seen elsewhere.  Mary should at this stage either not have noticed that he is sitting and walking next to her everywhere and/or be very convinced that he is not for her, so there can be the dramatic BUT GOD HAD OTHER PLANS twist in the tale.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I am a little uncomfortable with the assumption is that Mary is involved romantically with this young man. They are clearly friends and spend a lot of time together, but to go from that to romance is a big leap. I think one of the benefits of college for Anna and Mary is the ability to make friends outside their family circle, and most especially friends of the opposite sex. I have a lot of platonic male friends from all the different stages of my life and really value those friendships, and I`m thrilled that Anna and Mary will be able to have guy friends as well.

I agree with you on this--I mean, if I married every guy friend I sat next to in college I'd have 300 husbands--but, this is a fundy college where "ring by spring"* seems to be still very much a thing, and I think sitting next to a guy for multiple meals and events means more there than in the secular world.

*just me judging by perusing the ABC-affiliated Instagrammers--there appear be A LOT of engaged undergrads on campus, & brand new grads getting married.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

This made me laugh. The Maxwell's Open Door church supports missionaries in Oxford, UK and they are praying for reliable transport. 🤣  Second-hand bikes will serve them well as they travel around preaching to the people of Oxford who will NEVER have heard of Jesus before in their lives. [/sarcasm]

https://www.opendoorinfo.org/content.cfm?id=3123&pid=52

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha 28

Steve must have really loosened up in the last few years to be attending this church.  They have so many things he has railed against.

Their music is a combination of traditional hymns and modern Christian music. 

They have Children's Church for ages 4-6

They have Sunday School, and mention "fun Biblical teaching".

All of these things the Maxwells specifically taught against for years.

Of course, they also said their kids would never go to college, and would live home until marriage, too.  So, even Steve Maxwell is capable of change, I guess.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

I looked at the Facebook page of the Hock "ministries". They celebrate 30 years of a couple doing "missions" in NYC.

They really stepped out into the world and tried to "help" those in need by spending 30 years in the most populated, thus most diverse, city in the entire United States. Brave "missionaries" didn't even leave the US. Heathen NYC needed them more, apparently.

Seriously, I would so love to be a fly on the wall of "missionaries" trying to convert residents of NYC. No doubt they hang out at shelters & recovery / half way houses - preying on the weak in their time of need.

• Upvote 18

3 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

This made me laugh. The Maxwell's Open Door church supports missionaries in Oxford, UK and they are praying for reliable transport. 🤣  Second-hand bikes will serve them well as they travel around preaching to the people of Oxford who will NEVER have heard of Jesus before in their lives. [/sarcasm]

https://www.opendoorinfo.org/content.cfm?id=3123&pid=52

OMG what a boondoggle. I too would like to be a missionary in Oxford for a while-God has laid it on my heart to send me to Oxford--I speak the native language & am somewhat familiar with the exotic local customs! Also, I know how to ride a bike and have experience with taking both buses AND trains to Oxford! Please see my GOFUNDME page for more deets.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 25

I had a funny thought… this pic was posted by ABC Admissions in September. I like to think that there’s someone in the Admissions department who is like “we took down Steve Maxwell” and will provide updates as available via their social media. And that they scored all the points for landing the Maxwell daughters!4A229B5A-6A48-4040-ABEC-A401E44AC16E.thumb.jpeg.2a6b3c3a16ffb2e467544abfd956ed2b.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

Steve must have really loosened up in the last few years to be attending this church.  They have so many things he has railed against.

Their music is a combination of traditional hymns and modern Christian music. 

They have Children's Church for ages 4-6

They have Sunday School, and mention "fun Biblical teaching".

All of these things the Maxwells specifically taught against for years.

Of course, they also said their kids would never go to college, and would live home until marriage, too.  So, even Steve Maxwell is capable of change, I guess.

His Dad's Corners often have a dig at the new church though. I don't really understand why he is there, except that noone in his family wants him to be their pastor any more.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

His Dad's Corners often have a dig at the new church though. I don't really understand why he is there, except that noone in his family wants him to be their pastor any more.

Today's is a prime example. He's all pissy because people bring their kids to church & don't force them to sit silently & still & just listen to the sermon. Heathen parents. 

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 6
  • WTF 4

I'm almost worried about Steve, at this point. 

Not really.

But I'm super curious as to what actually happened - rather than the curated version they'll share the world. They've sent kids to college, Sarah moved out, some of the boys are living outside their neighborhood, they are going to a church Steve clearly disapproves of...

Did someone finally point out to the girls that as adults they don't HAVE to follow all Steve's edicts?

Is Steve having "senior moments" severe enough that he's making decisions he'd never have made before?

Has everyone in the family had enough of his controlling everything and started doing their own thing?

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

But I'm super curious as to what actually happened - rather than the curated version they'll share the world. They've sent kids to college, Sarah moved out, some of the boys are living outside their neighborhood, they are going to a church Steve clearly disapproves of...

Although I can't imagine ever spending money on their crappy books, if they ever wrote a "The True Untold Story of Why We Changed" book, I might make a exception.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 13

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

God has laid it on my heart to send me to Oxford--I speak the native language & am somewhat familiar with the exotic local customs! Also, I know how to ride a bike and have experience with taking both buses AND trains to Oxford! Please see my GOFUNDME page for more deets.

LOL.  The Lord just spoke to me and told me I'm to take the gospel to Wales.  Specifically, Pembrokeshire, where my ancestors are from.  I will be requiring a cottage complete with sheep and multiple barn cats in order to carry out this important work. 🤣

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 18
  • Love 9

I'm disappointed if the only reason they all left is Mary might have a man friend. I've never really cared whether they got married only whether they escaped the house and fundiedom.

I still think that the women were restless at home and wanted more in life.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

On 11/1/2021 at 6:02 AM, HereticHick said:

I agree with you on this--I mean, if I married every guy friend I sat next to in college I'd have 300 husbands--but, this is a fundy college where "ring by spring"* seems to be still very much a thing, and I think sitting next to a guy for multiple meals and events means more there than in the secular world.

Plus there's that one photo where he is looking rather adoringly at her. 

Spoiler

image.png.56ec1d6dfe9df1552a6c205d47eec48a.png

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I doubt they got to go to school so Mary could get to know some guy. These are courtship people who didn’t believe in college a year ago. I can’t see them spending tuition money to help Mary follow a man. It’s illogical even for them. They were obviously sent away for the education because what happens if it doesn’t work out with the mystery man, do they leave school and go home?

I don’t think the guy is looking adoringly at Mary. Everyone in the group is laughing so I think it’s just mid-laugh. The guy may be in a lot of pictures with Mary but he may just be part of her new group of friends. She and Anna may have just found their fun college group and that’s a great thing. We have no reason to believe they are an item. 

• Upvote 20
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5

On 11/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, ClareDeLune said:

Do they still continue the dad’s corner after stopping the blog? Where can I read these, please?

2 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Do they still continue the dad’s corner after stopping the blog? Where can I read these, please?

We have a thread for his dad column.

Here's the link to our thread.

. And here's the link to Steve's Seriously Dad? column. It also includes Teri's Mom column which also has it's own thread in the Maxwell section of FJ.

I think Bible college is basically fundie dating game. If you graduate from Bible college and still extremely single, it’s probably a great distress. She probably didn’t go there for him in particular. But fundies are definitely looking for “the one” at Bible college. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic